Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E08: Madison's Body

• Start Topic

In a thrilling finale, Maddie finally pieces together the puzzle of her disappearance which has severe consequences in both the spirit and living worlds.

Dropping April 12, 2023

I watch this with my teens and we're really enjoying it. They noticed an "orb" on the truck (which could've been a reflection but idk) and theorized it was Mr. Martin- and then I shouted that it was somehow Janet before the reveal. 

We, too, hope it gets renewed. 

They upped the creepy factor for this one. The abandoned house and bunker scenes were both genuinely suspenseful. 

I am going to be so pissed if this doesn’t get renewed. Now that the mystery of who killed Maddie is “solved” I really hope the second season (🤞) focuses more on the spirits than Xavier, Nicole and Claire. That has been the much more compelling side of the story for me.  

Poor Simon. Thinking his best friend abandoned him and that he is going crazy. 

Despite all the red herrings they did a nice job of laying the groundwork for the reveal. 

Welp I had no idea it was the last episode! (I assumed it would be 10 eps)

I just hope this gets renewed!! I cannot handle another cliffhanger for a cancelled show! 

Final episode was suspenseful and intriguing to watch. Feel bad for Simon, he's right to question his own sanity, but too bad he does not know the whole truth.

I wonder if Mr. Martin & Janet have tried to use other kids bodies in the past to get what they want. Maybe that's why he kept all the other spirits from moving on to try his experiments on.

Don't know what they are hoping to acheive by stealing bodies at the cost of another person's life when they can just figure out how to move on...

Again please let this get renewed!! That's all I ask!! Just a second & final season to clear all the cliffhangers is fine too!!

Edited by tired and hungry
  • Like 4
3 hours ago, tired and hungry said:

I just hope this gets renewed!! I cannot handle another cliffhanger for a cancelled show! 

Final episode was suspenseful and intriguing to watch. Feel bad for Simon, he's right to question his own sanity, but too bad he does not know the whole truth.

I wonder if Mr. Martin & Janet have tried to use other kids bodies in the past to get what they want. Maybe that's why he kept all the other spirits from moving on to try his experiments on.

Don't know what they are hoping to acheive by stealing bodies at the cost of another person's life when they can just figure out how to move on...

Again please let this get renewed!! That's all I ask!! Just a second & final season to clear all the cliffhangers is fine too!!

I would prefer a season but will accept a movie to tie it up.  I just want the story to finish which ever way that is. 

• Like 2

I knew something wasn't right with that teacher. Who the hell wants to work for their entire afterlife, grading ghost assignments? 

The Madison reveal was interesting. Early on in the season I assumed she was somewhere barely alive and that's why she was a ghost but also a ghost that could talk to her friend. She wasn't full ghost. I did not predict anything close to the reveal though. Very interesting. Not at all sure how they'll be able to get them to switch back? If possible? 

• Like 6

I posted a speculation I read that had the ending exactly right. I really wish I hadn’t come across it because it was a good twist I wouldn’t have uncovered.  

Still don’t understand the teacher or his motives though. What’s the point of him holding onto their possessions? He’s just obsessive? seems like he didn’t want Janet to possess Maddie, so I just have more questions with him. And how was Maddie able to see/hear the ghosts in the first place? I’d love a second season, but I suppose it would be about getting her body back and possibly being wanted for murder(?), which would kill the mystery element. This darker ending could stand on its own. 

Here's my assumption on what happened. Maddie had that fight with her mom and she said something about how it broke her spirit when she was retelling it. So I think her spirit was "weak" at that point anyway. When Janet's spirit ran through her body, it knocked Maddie's spirit out of her physical body and replaced it with Janet's. Otherwise, the ghosts could literally possess people all day long if they could just run through someone and take over their body. I think the soul-crushing fight with her mom somehow weakened her spirit/body connection making the possession much easier. 

So Maddie's spirit is still walking around and that's how she could see the other spirits. Since her body isn't dead, there's some weird stuff going on and that's how her friend would be able to see her. 

• Like 4
  • Useful 2

I was totally surprised by the ending, I was convinced Simon had killed her.  It's not often a show can surprise me anymore. Loved Maddie and the football player together. 

What's really sad is I don't ever remember hearing Janet's name until the second to last episode when hippie chick crossed over. Why haven't the gay kid and football player crossed over (I am sooooo bad with names).  They've both reconciled they're death issues.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

Interesting reveal but so many questions. The big one is the blood they found was proven to be Maddy's through DNA. If her body is still "alive" with Janet possessing it, where did the blood come from? And how did Maddy hear the teacher and Janet in the first place? It had never been established during the season that alive beings could hear the sounds of the ghosts. 

• Like 5
1 hour ago, rbwyatt2 said:

Interesting reveal but so many questions. The big one is the blood they found was proven to be Maddy's through DNA. If her body is still "alive" with Janet possessing it, where did the blood come from? 

The flashback cut out with her body being thrown backwards. Presumably she hit her head resulting in the blood that was found. 

On 4/21/2023 at 2:09 PM, rbwyatt2 said:

Interesting reveal but so many questions. The big one is the blood they found was proven to be Maddy's through DNA. If her body is still "alive" with Janet possessing it, where did the blood come from? And how did Maddy hear the teacher and Janet in the first place? It had never been established during the season that alive beings could hear the sounds of the ghosts. 

I agree that being thrown when the ghost possessed her is likely what caused the blood spatter, but hearing/seeing the ghosts before the accident is baffling because there are ghosts all over the school she’s never seen. It would have made more sense (to me) if she’d been knocked out accidentally and that was what allowed the ghost in. But maybe we’ll get another season & it’ll come together. 

• Like 1
43 minutes ago, RedInk said:

I agree that being thrown when the ghost possessed her is likely what caused the blood spatter, but hearing/seeing the ghosts before the accident is baffling because there are ghosts all over the school she’s never seen. It would have made more sense (to me) if she’d been knocked out accidentally and that was what allowed the ghost in. But maybe we’ll get another season & it’ll come together. 

I think the explanation is in what Charlie and Wally read from Mr. Martin’s notes.

Final moments are a source of great despair in the subject. Hypothesis: reliving final trauma to greatest extent possible may increase thinning and provide access point.

If she's going to live, then I hope Simon gets a re-do on his interview for Northwestern. 

I missed if they were the ones to hurt her, somehow, or if they just took advantage of her being hurt, and in that in-between state. I'll have to google.

On 4/13/2023 at 5:08 AM, tired and hungry said:

I wonder if Janet wasn't ready to move on, and so they figured out how to do this (because he felt guilty). 

• Useful 1

I binged this series on Netflix. It wasn’t perfect but I liked it. I hope there is a season two. I felt there were too many cliffhangers. Like who wacked Madi in the head, why Mr. Martin and Janet did what they did and hopefully the janitor gets exonerated, other stuff too like explaining how Dawn crossed over. I’ll bet it had something to do with Mr. Martins experiments. 

• Like 4

I also just binged the whole season on Netflix.  I knew nothing about the show but did notice in the opening credits it was a Paramount+ production.  The ending surprised the hell out of me.  I would read each ep rhread here after I watched it, and read the body snatching theory and thought it was ridiculous.  I'm so smart.

So Charley and Wally have resolved their issues and they would have crossed over if not for Mr. Martin keeping them in the "support" group and holding on to things related to their deaths.  I think.  But back to being confused how he collected all that stuff as a ghost.  In that vain, Wally, Charley and Rhonda are locked in the fall out shelter.  But they are ghosts.  Why do locks work on them?

Even if Maddie somehow gets her spirit back into her body, her life is ruined and she likely is going to prison for attempted murder. Ouch.  Poor Simon.  I really did think he killed her for a minute there.

• Like 4

I'm so glad that this show has already been reviewed, that was one hell of a cliffhanger! I suspected that Maddie wasn't actually dead and that's why she could talk to people while the other ghosts couldn't, but I thought that she was just comatose or something, not that another ghosts stole her body! So Janet somehow found a way to hijack her body and is now running off with it? How? Why? How do they get her out?

So many questions! Why is Mr. Martin apparently trying to keep the ghosts at the school? What happened the day Mr. Martin and Janet died? Would Wally and Charlie have moved on by now if Mr. Martin didn't have their stuff? Why was Janet able to possess Maddie? 

I liked this show a lot, I really enjoy all of the characters and the mystery has kept me guessing. Very excited for the next season!

• Applause 1