Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E17: Welcome to the Milestone

• Start Topic

Calvin struggles to find the perfect birthday gift for Tina. Also, Gemma works a connection to actor Jerry O’Connell, whose kids attend Walcott Academy, to secure VIP tickets to THE TALK for her school’s fundraiser.

Airdate: 04/10/2023

I like that often these episodes go in a way I'm not expecting. I'm not sure why but when Calvin won the tickets and they all went to the show, I expected there to be upheaval because of the optics of the principal of the school winning the auction tickets. So I was pleased that wasn't even a subplot at all. 

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, joanne3482 said:

I expected there to be upheaval because of the optics of the principal of the school winning the auction tickets.

But the principal of the school (Gemma) didn't win the tickets.  Calvin did, and gave them to Tina, who invited Gemma and Dave. 

I liked the re-creation of the picnic and the macaroni necklace at the end.  And I really liked that everyone got in the photo, too.

• Like 2
  • Love 2
45 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

But the principal of the school (Gemma) didn't win the tickets.  Calvin did, and gave them to Tina, who invited Gemma and Dave. 

And Gemma made Calvin win them at auction - he tried to just buy them and she refused. Gemma was above board.

Another moment I loved was after Tina opened the tickets and she was so excited, she told Grover to start playing the recorder again because she was feeling it.

• Like 5

I understand everything was completely above board, but there are lesser shows out there who would have made that a plot point, miscommunication and confusion about the tickets causing some ridiculous blow up and resolution. I appreciate that they did not take that route. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Oh, the brothers.  Their B-plot really made the show for me.  And not just because it culminated in the heartwarming end scene where they're all in the photo together.  That was a fitting end for the 100th episode, and those weren't just "Tina's Birthday!" in-character smiles on their faces, those were very proud and satisfied "100th Episode!!!!" smiles on the actor's faces.

That said, I thought the plot with all the guest stars and different location was an odd choice for a commemorative 100th episode.  I was expecting something more like a bottle episode taking place wholly between Calvin and Tina's house, Gemma and Dave's house, and Malcolm and Marty's house. There was more focus on Jerry O'Connell and Sheryl Underwood and The Talk than the core cast.  However, the plot was written such that everyone was totally in character.  I thought the Jerry O'Connell bit with Dave playing super-weird fan was totally in character, but kind of misplaced in this episode.  Tina's excitement about Sheryl Underwood was totally in character, as was her honest disgust over the chili recipe.  Gemma being painfully ethical, but also really excited for Tina was as well.  Calvin's good intentions always falling short, or ending in disaster, was also completely on point.

The only thing I can think of to explain the split focus, was since Cedric The Entertainer was also directing, the whole The Talk thing was brought in so he wasn't the director and the focus character of the episode.  It was a good episode, but not quite what I was expecting for the vaunted 100th episode milestone. 

And.....WTH is up with Jerry O'Connell's face?  I haven't really seen him since his Big Bang Theory episodes as Sheldon's big brother.  He's......gone through some things since then.  Holy cow.

• Like 4

They are making Dave more and more of a bumbling idiot who always messes up and Gemma is constantly irked at him and his mistakes. In past seasons it wasn't like this, Gemma actually liked Dave

Edited by Harvey
  • Like 3

Calvin's idea of a Chanel jacket would have been exactly something Tina would want, if only he had gotten a real one and not a counterfeit. He could have just gone back to that idea and done it right. But the tickets worked out, so I guess that's okay, too. It felt too much like a promo for The Talk, though. 

Dave's hatred of vegetables in cake made me laugh. I thought he'd be the kind of person who LIKED carrot cake! (I happen to like carrot cake and zucchini bread, but I still think his attitude was funny).

• Like 3
19 hours ago, possibilities said:

Dave's hatred of vegetables in cake made me laugh. I thought he'd be the kind of person who LIKED carrot cake! (I happen to like carrot cake and zucchini bread, but I still think his attitude was funny).

Dave is spot-on with this one.  Vegetables have no place in cake!

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

I loooooove carrot cake.  Moist and delicious and full of texture.  I leave the raisins out though, those are the devil's rat turds.

I'm with Dave on the zucchini bread though.  Just make a sweet quick bread, leave the zucchini for delicious ratatouille or crispy parmesan bakes.  Full disclosure: zucchini is my favorite vegetable.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1