Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E08: Hellhounds and Sturgeons

• Start Topic

ANIMAL-CONTROL-Season-1-Episode-8-Photo-

Victoria and Patel encounter Fish and Game officers while on a call. Animal Control dispatch radios with a report of an aggressive attack dog on the loose.

Premiere Date: April 6, 2023       FOX     9pm  
Maria Gabriela de Faría as Camila
AC108_SH0009_f.jpg

That didn't look like a mastiff to me. Way too small. 

This show has gotten better and better. I really didn't like it much at first but I like it now and would like it to stick around.

I hate pranks, though.

I mourn for that gorgeous paella.

• Like 4

That didn't look like a mastiff to me. Way too small. 

I couldn't believe they were so afraid of that dog. I mean this is what they do for a living and they were completely covered in padding. Frank in particular has been doing this for years, this should have been second nature to him.

I did get a kick out of the back and forth with the sturgeon though, and Emily's clumsiness. "Maybe you're not handling paper correctly."

• Like 3

- It worked!

- Did you die?

LOL, that moment was so good.

I understood that Frank & Shred were scared, that dog was absolutely vicious, but also strong-looking.

• Like 4

The problem with actor dogs is that if you know dog body language, you know that dog was wagging tail happily and not actually being threatening. But you don't want to upset a dog and make it actually unhappy, so you never really see a genuinely scary dog on film. I can handwave that. But calling that dog a mastiff was ridiculous. It simply wasn't.

The sturgeon looking very fake and being made of plastic made me laugh, though.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Crashcourse said:

I checked some of the images of bull mastiffs, and while most of them were brown, I saw a few pictures of black ones, and the one shown in this episode looked like them.

Hmmn. To me, it didn't. Its face was too thin, its jaw not square enough, the shape of the body seemed wrong,  and the jowls were different. But maybe f it was a puppy? I shoujld probably let it go, but it really bothered me.

14 hours ago, possibilities said:

Hmmn. To me, it didn't. Its face was too thin, its jaw not square enough, the shape of the body seemed wrong,  and the jowls were different. But maybe f it was a puppy? I shoujld probably let it go, but it really bothered me.

It looked like it might be a Cane Corso. The first time I saw one was on another TV show, and they called it a Mastiff, but to me it looked like a Pit Bull, and I thought the same as you! (And it also really bothered me.) BUT a Cane Corso is descended from a Mastiff, although not quite the same? (They are called Italian Mastiffs.) It's kinda weird, but I did find this: 

https://a-z-animals.com/blog/the-mastiff-vs-the-cane-corso-key-differences-explained/

• Like 3
  • Useful 2

I don't even know why it bothered me so  much. I mean, whatever! I handwave all kinds of stuff on TV. A giant plastic sturgeon, animal control officers being totally flummoxed by a tail-wagging dog, contrivances galore... and the one thing that sticks in my craw is a dog that doesn't look like the species they tell me it is! 

That's interesting about the Cane Corso. I'd never heard of those.

• Like 3

Who exactly said it was a Mastiff?  They could have explained it away by saying that cops or whoever called had no idea what kind of dog it looked like.  Or there were rumors it was a Mastiff.  I don’t know dog breeds well, but even I thought it looked odd.

• Like 2

Hmmmn... I think the cops said it was a mastiff. They could surely be wrong. You'd think Frank would have snarked on them, though, if they mad that mistake and he recognized it.

I also keep seeing people referring to it as a bull mastiff, so I thought I had misheard, but either way-- it didn't look like one of those, either, to my eye.

• Like 2

Cane Corsos are enjoying a bit of a popularity moment. Kind of a status dog. We get occasional calls about them at the shelter where I volunteer. Unfortunately there are people who buy them from breeders and then have no idea how to care for them.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
On 4/6/2023 at 11:10 PM, ajsnaves said:

Line of the night?  Frank’s “I took Spanish at community college.” I actually missed that one at first. Only later did it hit me. 

Showed up here thinking this would be a major topic of conversation. Got a page long discourse on dog breeds and behavior. Guess I'm just too simple, because the "I took Spanish at community college" line made me pause the stream so I could laugh and enjoy it. I really never looked at the dang dog. 

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 3
4 hours ago, curbcrusher said:

Showed up here thinking this would be a major topic of conversation. Got a page long discourse on dog breeds and behavior. Guess I'm just too simple, because the "I took Spanish at community college" line made me pause the stream so I could laugh and enjoy it. I really never looked at the dang dog. 

Same here. I laughed so hard. It made my day.

• Like 1
  • Love 4