Type keyword(s) to search

Chit-Chat: What's On Your Mind Today?

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

We all have been drawn into off-topic discussions, me included. There's little that's off-topic when it comes to Chit Chat, so the only ask is that you please remember that this is the Chit Chat topic and that there's a subforum for all things health and wellness here.

If there's something you need clarification on, please keep in mind that it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; talk to them and not about what they said.
If you disagree, consider how we can express our differing opinions and still respect the other's opinion and recognize it as valid.
We're all different people, so different perspectives and points of views are natural, welcome even for growing a healthy community. What is important is that we disagree with empathy and consideration. (If need be, check out the how do we have healthy debates guidelines for more).

• Start Topic

58 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

10 minute nap? What even is that? Is it like this “leftover wine” I’ve heard about?  Seriously, I’m jealous of anyone who can fall asleep, get refreshed, and wake back up in a 10 minute time span!

My naps are like 2-4 hours long lol. On a train/bus maybe one hour. 

10 minutes? Only if I have a nightmare.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

Actually, I now prefer lingonberries (Felix brand) to cranberries.  They don't have that bite that cranberries have. Something good to do for leftover turkey sandwiches is to mix a little cranberry sauce into mayonnaise.

This has really been nice, chatting about T-day and the foods we all grew up with. Sure, this isn't the food thread, but it's been kind of comforting thinking about that special one day a year dinner after such a rough, sad week 🧡

• Like 3
  • Hugs 4
  • Love 3
On 10/12/2023 at 2:55 PM, Mondrianyone said:

I do this when I bring flowers to someone, so they don't have the chore of scrambling around for a vase, then cutting the tips off the stems and filling the vase with water. It's a lot of extra work when you're already hosting dinner. I usually try to find something funky at a thrift store or just something simple like a glass cylinder. But nobody's getting half a dozen of my pie plates every year!

There was a time a few years ago on a previous incarnation of Primetimer when it seemed like every couple of weeks there'd be a lengthy thread about guest/host etiquette and flowers/chocolates/to take or not to take/vase or no vase situations.  The "conversations" could get quite heated!

12 hours ago, Mondrianyone said:

I would do the fleur-de-lis, but I'm compulsive that way. I'm sure it will taste delicious with or without it. We have tourtières in Maine, where there are lots of people of French descent. I love them (the tourtières, I mean, but the people, too). Have a great party!

More delicious with I'd say, since there'd be more pastry!

8 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Did you eat pizza right before bed or forget to turn down the heat? 
(my motherly go-to reasons for weird dreams)

If it was about Tom Cruise I'd say it was a nightmare rather than a dream.

3 hours ago, PRgal said:

I've done yours too.  Just didn't want to buy a whole package of fresh cranberries this year, so I went to the frozen food aisle.  Same method, just maple syrup instead of honey.  Maybe I'll try honey for Christmas.  :) 

I'm sure cranberry sauce would freeze well, and could be used for a variety of purposes down the road.

2 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

10 minute nap? What even is that? Is it like this “leftover wine” I’ve heard about?  Seriously, I’m jealous of anyone who can fall asleep, get refreshed, and wake back up in a 10 minute time span!

2 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Heh, 10 minute naps are not very effective or efficient. But sometimes they work if, for instance, you have to drive home and it's too late for caffeine.
The 20 minute nap is better.

Twenty is supposed to be the optimum and what I aim for if I absolutely need a nap.  That's harder with long Covid exhaustion though  😐

Edited by Ancaster
  • Hugs 4
  • LOL 1

Re Cranberry sauce. I use fresh cranberries and after rinsing and sorting out the bad ones, add water and white sugar and the zest of one orange. Then peel the orange and chop the fruit and add it and the juice to the cranberries. Simmer until popped then add a dollop of brandy and stir in while they cool. Store in a mason jar in the fridge. This combination results in a good liquid sauce with whole berries.

I know I am vague on quantities but last year I think it was 1 cup water, 1/4 cup sugar. The orange and juice adds liquid and sweetness. The brandy is supposed to be about 1-2 tbsp and added before cooking but I add more like 1/3 cup (=heavy dollop) since I like to taste it. And I go low on sugar since I like tart.

Also the reason for general quantities - anyone else noticed how the package of cranberries is getting smaller every year so they can keep the price the same? For the person who mentioned two for one - the cranberries I buy say they can be frozen in their package. I would be hesitant to do this because there are always brown/mushy ones but you could rinse/sort and then freeze. Apparently after freezing they are soft when you thaw.

I don't know if it is the addition of brandy but my cranberry sauce lasts a long time in the fridge. In fact I had some of what is left from Christmas with chicken fingers tonight 😀

• Like 5
  • Useful 4
54 minutes ago, luv2lurk said:

I don't know if it is the addition of brandy but my cranberry sauce lasts a long time in the fridge.

Alcohol as a preservative is what I'm hanging my hat on.  🙂 

• Like 3
  • Wink 2
  • LOL 5

I agree on the alcohol. I make prune lekvar filling for Purim hamantaschen. The recipe includes soaking the prunes and some raisins in red wine. Then it’s cooked down with some sugar and cut up orange pieces.  It lasts a really long time. Even a year or more. In the refrigerator, of course. 

Edited by EtheltoTillie
  • Like 3
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, luv2lurk said:

Re Cranberry sauce. I use fresh cranberries and after rinsing and sorting out the bad ones, add water and white sugar and the zest of one orange. Then peel the orange and chop the fruit and add it and the juice to the cranberries. Simmer until popped then add a dollop of brandy and stir in while they cool. Store in a mason jar in the fridge. This combination results in a good liquid sauce with whole berries.

I know I am vague on quantities but last year I think it was 1 cup water, 1/4 cup sugar. The orange and juice adds liquid and sweetness. The brandy is supposed to be about 1-2 tbsp and added before cooking but I add more like 1/3 cup (=heavy dollop) since I like to taste it. And I go low on sugar since I like tart.

Also the reason for general quantities - anyone else noticed how the package of cranberries is getting smaller every year so they can keep the price the same? For the person who mentioned two for one - the cranberries I buy say they can be frozen in their package. I would be hesitant to do this because there are always brown/mushy ones but you could rinse/sort and then freeze. Apparently after freezing they are soft when you thaw.

I don't know if it is the addition of brandy but my cranberry sauce lasts a long time in the fridge. In fact I had some of what is left from Christmas with chicken fingers tonight 😀

@luv2lurk, this👆post could be a great first post on the blog you should be starting!

And yes about using
“…fresh cranberries and after rinsing and sorting out the bad ones…”
and
“…I would be hesitant to do this [freeze them] because there are always brown/mushy ones but you could rinse/sort and then freeze.”
— which makes me wary of buying pre-frozen cranberries, especially after my recent experience with trying frozen pineapple chunks:
I had discovered Wegmans has frozen, quartered artichoke hearts with zero vinegar or anything. 
I loved them so much that I thought maybe I could get an improvement on the already perfect canned pineapple by buying frozen pineapple.
But no.
Some of the pineapple chunks included woody stem parts, and other chunks were brownish and tasted bad. I had to spit out both.

@PRgal
Were the frozen cranberries more like my lovely frozen artichokes?
Or were there some rotten ones (like I found with the frozen pineapple)? 

Or am I just expecting too much consistency and quality control from fruits and vegetables? 🤣

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 5
14 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Non-Thanksgiving food post:

Some here may recall a month ago my laptop died. 
I had a laptop holiday for 2 weeks (lived on my iPhone), and then 2 weeks with my son-in-law's Mac (he also has a work laptop). 

A couple of hours ago I picked up my new new laptop at BestBuy. 
After 30 years of PCs, I got a Mac. 
I went a little higher price, but not crazy.
If it poops out too soon, next time I'll go cheap, but I'm hoping a good 7-9 years like my 2 Lenovos before my dead HP.
So far, so good.

Going to take a 10 minute nap before Jeopardy!

Am I the only dope that still uses the I-pad?  I bought a new one in BestBye too.  Still have the same problem only on this site.  Posts disappear.  WTH?  I meant BestBUY.   

Edited by kristen111
  • Like 1
  • Useful 2
36 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

Frozen artichokes? At Wegmans? I need to add this to my next shopping list as I dislike the canned ones. Thanks, shapeshifter 😊 

Here's the link to them: https://shop.wegmans.com/product/48483/wegmans-frozen-artichoke-hearts-halves-and-quarters
I like that the ingredients are just "Artichoke Hearts, Citric Acid and Ascorbic Acid Added to Preserve Color."
The citric acid must be very minimal, because I don't taste it.

And here's what to look for:
large_5bdb4052-9c7e-4c0c-9b18-f61db5eadd30.jpg

I don't really "cook" any more. 
I just "assemble" food. 🤣
I put a few of these artichoke halves/quarters in a teacup and defrost them in the microwave, then drain them briefly in a tiny teacup-size strainer I happen to have.
Then I add them to a wrap.
If I'm out of lettuce, I tell myself I'm still getting a "leafy green."😜

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 3
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1
19 minutes ago, kristen111 said:

Am I the only dope that still uses the I-pad?  I bought a new one in BestBye too.  Still have the same problem only on this site.  Posts disappear.  WTH?

Not a dope.
But I did see a bunch of complaints about iPad behavior with this site in the Golden Bachelor thread. 
Don't worry all y'all. I'm not going over to the dark side and watching reality TV or considering dating again after 30+ years of not dating. 
I just figured the G Bach is a current cultural touchstone, and I could read the last few posts to see what was happening. 
Hah!
What was mostly happening was iPad-on-PrimeTimer complaints. 🤣
And a hilarious comment about their hair.

Okay, @kristen111. Here may be the solution until the PrimeTimer tech guy figures it out:

11 hours ago, Tom1mac2 said:

I use DuckDuckGo for this site.  Works very well, and NO ads!

You should be able to download the DuckDuckGo private browser from the App store.

You *might* want to report your iPad problems with this site in a thread on the PrimeTimer's Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions board, but I'm not sure in which thread.🙃

• Like 5
35 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

I put a few of these artichoke halves/quarters in a teacup and defrost them in the microwave, then drain them briefly in a tiny teacup-size strainer I happen to have.

I have a Tiny Tea Strainer too (not to be confused with Tiny Dancer*).  I actually bought it for some loose tea that someone gave me, but I also use it when I rehydrate mushrooms and want to use the liquid without the gritty bits.

*  Sorry, it's early in the morning and I didn't sleep well, so my brain is a little loopy still.

Tiny strainer.jpg

Elton John.jpg

Edited by Ancaster
  • Like 4
  • Wink 2
26 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Here's the link to them: https://shop.wegmans.com/product/48483/wegmans-frozen-artichoke-hearts-halves-and-quarters
I like that the ingredients are just "Artichoke Hearts, Citric Acid and Ascorbic Acid Added to Preserve Color."

I want to make a dip, similar to one I used to get at a unique bookstore/cafe in Durham, NC (Ravina's??). Somehow I tracked down the owner in Germany!! of the (now closed) cafe & asked how he made it. He was vague & said artichokes & sour cream. They served this dip with raw veggies and it was The Best 💚 

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
53 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

You *might* want to report your iPad problems with this site in a thread on the PrimeTimer's Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions board, but I'm not sure in which thread.🙃

Thank you as usual.  You are absolutely right.  I have reported the problem .. no help there.  Guess I have to live with it.  The new Bachelor show is hilarious.  Women from the sixties into near eighty dressing like twenty three yr olds with all sexy strapless gowns and dresses.  Desparate for another husband.  Have to look away when they start making out, lol.  Rather read a good book.  I appreciate you filling me in.  👍🥰

• Like 3
  • Mind Blown 1
  • LOL 3
2 minutes ago, EtheltoTillie said:

I’m still using the iPad and also my desktop computer. Depends on whether I’m sitting on the couch or at my desk. Right now as I type on the iPad the keyboard is clicking again. I swear I did not set it that way!  

Settings > Sounds & Haptics > Keyboard Clicks 
If button is green, slide to the left.

https://www.idownloadblog.com/2019/02/04/turn-off-keyboard-click-sounds-iphone-ipad/

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, EtheltoTillie said:

I’m still using the iPad and also my desktop computer. Depends on whether I’m sitting on the couch or at my desk. Right now as I type on the iPad the keyboard is clicking again. I swear I did not set it that way!  

I believe you.  Is your screen jumping around while you are typing?

Edited by kristen111
  • Fire 1
43 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Settings > Sounds & Haptics > Keyboard Clicks 
If button is green, slide to the left.

https://www.idownloadblog.com/2019/02/04/turn-off-keyboard-click-sounds-iphone-ipad/

This only happens on Primetimer.  The whole thing slows down.  Sometimes it pauses while I'm typing.  It has nothing to do with settings.  It's a freeze of some kind.  I may try to download that other search engine.  It jumps around too, as @kristen111 notes.

• Sad 3
  • Fire 1
3 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

This is good.  I don’t eat a lot anymore .. I pick what I like, but still cook a full meal for the others.  I love the frozen Brussel Sprouts with olive oil and garlic.  A little of meat here n there.  At night it’s cottage cheese with pineapple.  The other night we made BLT’s and I put mayo on.  Had food poisoning for six hours from the mayo.  It was at the end of a big jar.  I thought I would die, but here I am.

• Hugs 2
  • Sad 5
6 minutes ago, EtheltoTillie said:

This only happens on Primetimer.  The whole thing slows down.  Sometimes it pauses while I'm typing.  It has nothing to do with settings.  It's a freeze of some kind.  I may try to download that other search engine.  It jumps around too, as @kristen111 notes.

I’ve been a pain in the ass about this for awhile, but it’s very annoying.  A brand new I pad, so you know it’s not the I pad.  It’s the site.  I can barely put a sentence together, then there it goes crazy.  WTH?  Should we try that DuckDuck thing or what?  I don’t even know what that is and afraid to try.  Why should I buy a different computer?  It’s too clunky on the sofa.

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, kristen111 said:

At night it’s cottage cheese with pineapple.

Okay. I grew up with pineapple and cottage cheese.

But this:

7 minutes ago, kristen111 said:

I put mayo on.  Had food poisoning for six hours from the mayo.  It was at the end of a big jar.  I thought I would die, but here I am.

…only happens to my sister. 
She claims mayo keeps "forever."
Nope. Nope. Nope. 
And:
Never double dip a knife when you're spreading anything, but especially mayo.

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 2
  • Applause 2
Just now, oliviabenson said:

If you need coats old navy has them 50% off. With a coupon I got 4 coats for $100. Sent the package to a pick up point hopefully no one steals it.

And I do not need 4 more coats lol.

I’ve always liked Old Navy.  Their merchandise never dies.

• Like 4
2 hours ago, kristen111 said:

I have reported the problem .. no help there.

Yeah. Hence the asterisks around "…You *might* want to report your iPad problems …" 
I think I read in a post that our tech person, ❤️@AllAstronauts❤️ is looking into it (or at least was notified), but it's probably a matter of waiting for either Apple to issue an iPad update, or the PrimeTimer server company to install an update.

So, in the mean time, there's the DuckDuckGo private browser to try, which is not the same as the DuckDuckGo search engine.
Apparently they have a browser you can use on your iPad:
https://apps.apple.com/us/app/duckduckgo-private-browser/id663592361 
I haven't tried it, but someone on the Golden Bachelor thread who was having iPad issues said it took care of it. 
My guess:
Because DuckDuckGo is all about privacy, security, paranoia, etc., they probably update their software faster than the average bears.🤷🏻‍♀️

I have to use an ad blocker because I have some mostly-under-control ADD, and the popups are too much for me, and not just on this site.
I don't mind ads. In fact, it's a bit of a bummer when the ad blocker won't let me click on an ad of interest. 
But the videos and popping back up repeatedly push me over the edge.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
14 hours ago, oliviabenson said:

On my nap today I dreamt about my middle school bully and woke up so distressed/upset. I hate having turbulent dreams. 
Now I can’t sleep at all.

https://www.healthline.com/health/how-to-have-good-dreams

I'm going to try some of these ideas. My dreams are never fun or funny. They're always about dealing with some type of issue or people (but never related to my own life). If they were movies, people would get up and leave! 

• Hugs 3
  • Sad 2
36 minutes ago, oliviabenson said:

If you need coats old navy has them 50% off. With a coupon I got 4 coats for $100. Sent the package to a pick up point hopefully no one steals it.

Yes you do! They're going to add some fun to your life and this was quite a deal!!

• Like 2
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1
31 minutes ago, oliviabenson said:

I use an iPhone on this site and it’s fine. Not sure about the iPad though because I don’t use it for this site at all.

Hmmm, interesting.  I have an I phone.  I’ll see if it happens on there.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, kristen111 said:

Should we try that DuckDuck thing or what?  I don’t even know what that is

It’s a search engine and works very well. It also limits the amount of ads o get from looking at something. I love it and have the Duck Duck Go app installed on my iPad. 

• Like 2
44 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

It’s a search engine and works very well. It also limits the amount of ads o get from looking at something. I love it and have the Duck Duck Go app installed on my iPad. 

Ok, I’ll give it a whirl. 👍So, I go to the App Store and press get, then it takes care of itself?

Edited by kristen111
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, kristen111 said:

This is good.  I don’t eat a lot anymore .. I pick what I like, but still cook a full meal for the others.  I love the frozen Brussel Sprouts with olive oil and garlic.  A little of meat here n there.  At night it’s cottage cheese with pineapple.  The other night we made BLT’s and I put mayo on.  Had food poisoning for six hours from the mayo.  It was at the end of a big jar.  I thought I would die, but here I am.

Must have been that mystery missing mayonnaise--made its way to your house. 

• Applause 1
  • LOL 9
6 hours ago, kristen111 said:

Am I the only dope that still uses the I-pad?  I bought a new one in BestBye too.  Still have the same problem only on this site.  Posts disappear.  WTH?  I meant BestBUY.   

We use an iPad, but it's for my little guy's reading app.  He also uses one at school.  I read this site on my phone or on my laptop.

@shapeshifter:  The frozen cranberries were pretty good.  Didn't see anything that looked "off," at least not in this batch. :) 

• Like 4
  • Useful 2
4 hours ago, kristen111 said:

4 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Okay. I grew up with pineapple and cottage cheese.

But this:

…only happens to my sister. 
She claims mayo keeps "forever."
Nope. Nope. Nope. 
And:
Never double dip a knife when you're spreading anything, but especially mayo.

1 hour ago, EtheltoTillie said:

Must have been that mystery missing mayonnaise--made its way to your house. 

Walked across a desert to get there, hence the spoilage, hastened by the double dipped knife.

(Sorry to be making light of the hell that is food poisoning @kristen111, hope it's over now.)

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 1
4 hours ago, oliviabenson said:

Many happy returns.😉

3 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Yes you do! They're going to add some fun to your life and this was quite a deal!!

I still remember a pink wool coat in Target I couldn't justify buying at least 10 years ago when my budget was tight.
If it had been gray, I would have bought it.
I now have a lot of drab work clothes to give away.
Probably the recipients of my castaways would rather have a fun pink coat.
Too bad we don't get at least one do-over of life.

• Like 4
  • Hugs 1
  • Love 2
24 minutes ago, Ancaster said:

Walked across a desert to get there, hence the spoilage, hastened by the double dipped knife.

(Sorry to be making light of the hell that is food poisoning @kristen111, hope it's over now.)

No biggie.  I had the ole ball n chain taking care of me all night.  It was my fault.   Should have thrown  the jar away.  From now on  I don’t buy a jar for an Army.  All is good.  I now have a cold and cough.  No Covid.    YET.   Lol. ❤️

• Hugs 4
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

Many happy returns.😉

I still remember a pink wool coat in Target I couldn't justify buying at least 10 years ago when my budget was tight.
If it had been gray, I would have bought it.
I now have a lot of drab work clothes to give away.
Probably the recipients of my castaways would rather have a fun pink coat.
Too bad we don't get at least one do-over of life.

Hah! I need to ship to you my very *pink*coat that I ordered from Talbots a couple years ago. I only wear it with black clothes, black wool scarf, hat & gloves (trying to tone down the pinkness) 😁.

• Like 3
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, oliviabenson said:

Maybe you only need three coats and the fourth can be saved for one of the annual winter coat drives?  😋

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2
7 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

Hah! I need to ship to you my very *pink*coat that I ordered from Talbots a couple years ago. I only wear it with black clothes, black wool scarf, hat & gloves (trying to tone down the pinkness) 😁.

I bet it looks fabulous on you!
I will vicariously enjoy picturing you in it.😊

The pink one at Target was more of a light dusty rose.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 6
  • LOL 1
1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

I bet it looks fabulous on you!
I will vicariously enjoy picturing you in it.😊

The pink one at Target was more of a light dusty rose.

Heh heh...I think my coat is Barbie Pink. I should've returned it to the store when it arrived in all its glory. Pepto Bismol must've been the designers inspiration 🙄.

• Like 1
  • LOL 7
24 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

Heh heh...I think my coat is Barbie Pink. I should've returned it to the store when it arrived in all its glory. Pepto Bismol must've been the designers inspiration 🙄.

I love all pinks, mauve and maroon and probably would have bought it too.

• Like 5
  • Wink 1
17 hours ago, EtheltoTillie said:

I’ve decided.  We have to get that DuckDuck App.  Many others having the same problem.  I’m doing it today.  If you don’t hear from me, I screwed up.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Blush and Bashful.

• Like 2
  • Wink 1
  • LOL 5