Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Meet Me at The Lobster Roll

• Start Topic

The Small Talk topic is for:

• Introductions
  • Off-topic chatter
  • Having virtual tea with forum buddies

This is NOT a topic for actual show discussion. When you want to talk about the show:

1. Figure out the nature of the topic you want to talk about
  2. Look for an existing topic that matches or fits
  3. If there is NOT an existing topic that fits, CREATE ONE!

Examples of topics that populate show forums include (but by no means are limited to):

• Character topics
  • Episode topics
  • Season topics
  • Spoiler topics
  • Speculation topics
  • In the Media topics
  • Favourite X topics
  • ...you get the idea

Happy trails beyond Small Talk!

4 hours ago, MBayGal said:

I assume you meant "glowering at Ben." Agree with your comments, esp about Sierra!  I expected that after Vik told Helen he wanted a child and slept with Sierra.  She's going to look unbalanced pregnant, since she weighs about 87 pounds.

In other news, I was at a weaving workshop the past 3 days, and took a break from putting stuff in order to resume reading comments; the first one is saw then was from another weaver?  

What workshop did you take and who was the teacher?  Given that you said you were Morrow Bay, I was thinking maybe Deborah Jarchow, but I think she was doing workshops in the LA area for the last week or so.  (I'm excited to geek out on fiber arts)

Edited by yourmomiseasy

Maybe Sierra and the baby will become the new focus, since we lost Cole and Allision. I think American Gods isn't coming back so the actress will probably be available. I can picture her falling over from the inbalance in her body. Twins would be even funnier! But kind of mean, I guess.

Just now, T Summer said:

I haven't seen ep9 yet. I asked on the ep8 thread if anyone knows how one can watch the new ep b4 it's broadcast on Showtime. I went to the Showtime website and I didn't see how, of course it won't let me log in either.

If you have Showtime On Demand (on your cable box), E9 is already up. 

1 hour ago, Giant Misfit said:

If you have Showtime On Demand (on your cable box), E9 is already up. 

I do! thanks.

I can't believe I'm just learning this now! (thanks to you, Misfit) I  incorrectly thought  that new episodes didn't go up on on-demand until after they'd been broadcast on Showtime.

14 hours ago, T Summer said:

I do! thanks.

I can't believe I'm just learning this now! (thanks to you, Misfit) I  incorrectly thought  that new episodes didn't go up on on-demand until after they'd been broadcast on Showtime.

I have the Showtime App for my iPad and Apple TV, it also works on most other streaming devices, tablets, and smartphones.  New episodes of The Affair drops Saturdays (technically Sunday) at midnight.

On 10/15/2018 at 11:33 PM, PrePreBabylonia said:

Maybe Sierra and the baby will become the new focus, since we lost Cole and Allision. I think American Gods isn't coming back so the actress will probably be available. I can picture her falling over from the inbalance in her body. Twins would be even funnier! But kind of mean, I guess.

I couldn't recall where I'd read this, so I Googled and apparently American Gods will be back. No date yet, probably spring 2020. Yay, More Dead Wife and Mad Sweeney! Yes, he's dead but apparently it's not serious because he's listed on IMBD as being on the show in 2020.

• Love 1
On 10/21/2019 at 2:48 PM, T Summer said:

I couldn't recall where I'd read this, so I Googled and apparently American Gods will be back. No date yet, probably spring 2020. Yay, More Dead Wife and Mad Sweeney! Yes, he's dead but apparently it's not serious because he's listed on IMBD as being on the show in 2020.

You're right! I live in Canada and found out they've been shooting scenes in Port Perry, not too far from where I live. I had forgotten that most of the shooting in the first season took place in Toronto. I definitely need to go back to season two and finish it, without comparing it to Season One (which I loved). Hopefully, they are past all the drama of changing directors and show runners.

• Love 1

This Sonoma County fire is getting very close today, I may have to actually evacuate if the wind keeps up.  Apparently the entire state is in danger.

"Gov. Gavin Newsom on Sunday declared a statewide emergency due to the harrowing effects of wildfires and evacuations that have accompanied “extreme fire weather conditions” in at least 43 California counties, including the 30,000-acre Kincade fire burning largely out of control in north Sonoma County."

I probably should be packing or something, but was wondering if Gov. Gavin would be willing to take in some evacuees.  Sigh.

gov.jpg.1887d854fe9b19d4172f3d261ca35efa.jpg

Edited by Razzberry

Thanks, Babalu.  I actually feel lucky as I'm a few miles outside the mandatory evacuation zone and have power (off and on) but I'm ready to go.  Thankfully the winds have died down today, but here's chart of all the fires yesterday.

fires.jpg.30ddb95e28d8a53f90fe02a60bc5efb5.jpg

And talk about life imitating art, today another fire near the Getty Center in LA.

firesLA.thumb.jpg.8c19ac61da208f0bf3008ac8a2561bc3.jpg

• Love 1
19 minutes ago, stormy weather said:

I honestly think the thing I'll miss the most about this show is this forum, that never failed to provide interesting discussions, useful insights and lots of laughter, so thank you all for the ride and I hope I'll catch you on some other threads!

I just signed up here a week or so ago, but I've really enjoyed the discussions!

Over the years I got heavily involved in 2 forums where I posted for years and both died out to make two long stories short.  Does anyone know of any lively forums  that are open to all?

4 minutes ago, T Summer said:

I just signed up here a week or so ago, but I've really enjoyed the discussions!

Over the years I got heavily involved in 2 forums where I posted for years and both died out to make two long stories short.  Does anyone know of any lively forums  that are open to all?

You've come to the right place. This is it. There's a forum for practically every show on TV.

28 minutes ago, stormy weather said:

Okay, I'm done. Like someone else already said, I would've preferred to be shown where all the main characters are now, what they've done with their lives, how Helen (and Margaret) died and why Noah decided to stay in Montauk in a sort of "Six Feet Under finale" way. Oh well, it is what it is.

Six Feet Under set the bar (very high!) against which all series finales will be judged. You can almost feel it in the air that other writers and producers want to stop short of  absolutely copying it.That finale was extremely well done and I can't hear that song Breathe Me by Sia without tearing up!

I said upthread that I own In Treatment on DVD  (and I don't buy DVD's). I own one other series,  Six Feet Under!

• Love 2
58 minutes ago, T Summer said:

You've come to the right place. This is it. There's a forum for practically every show on TV.

Oh definately, I can talk about TV series I watch with all of you here! 🙂

I meant a forum where the conversation can just naturally flow wherever it goes without breaking any rules. I'm not scoffing at the rules either, if the subject matter wasn't confined to that that has to to with the TV show and the episode being discussed we'd have thousand page threads and no one could ever catch up and join the convo.

Edited by T Summer
quoted wrong post
20 hours ago, T Summer said:

Oh definately, I can talk about TV series I watch with all of you here! 🙂

I meant a forum where the conversation can just naturally flow wherever it goes without breaking any rules. I'm not scoffing at the rules either, if the subject matter wasn't confined to that that has to to with the TV show and the episode being discussed we'd have thousand page threads and no one could ever catch up and join the convo.

At PT we have shows with full forums that have multiple threads with specific topics for each thread.  We try to keep the conversation in each thread on topic because it creates a better reading experience for everyone.  This also works best when people watch episodes weeks, months or even years later.  They can go back and see how others felt about that episode. The Affair is one of these shows.  You'll note recent posts on season 1, 2 and 3 episodes as either new people watch or people rewatch. 

We also have single thread shows where all conversation takes place in one thread.  These tend to be smaller shows.

This is a moderated forum.  Many of the other TV forums that have ended have done so because of the effort of trying to moderate even if just for the worst behavior, or they were unmoderated.  Often these moved to small groups discussing a show because they were the ones who dominated the conversation.  This is not meant as a criticism.  The creation of strong online communities is increasingly meaningful.

At PT, we focus on talk about TV shows.  The various Small Talk threads are where we build community outside of the discussion of specific shows.  Some of those communities are quite well developed.  We also have the non-TV specific forums, Everything Else, Interests & Hobbies and Pop Culture, all of which are available on the main forum page. These areas are still focused on specific topics.  That's how we are structured. 

• Useful 1
8 hours ago, DakotaLavender said:

Interesting article. ( . . . especially in light of Noah's #MeToo experience)

"Some background: In September of 2015, Ashlynn Alexander showed up to work to be the body double for Affair star Ruth Wilson. She then says she found that assistant director Travis Rehwaldt had listed her role on that day’s call sheet as “Alison Sexytime Double” instead of “Alison Body Double,” which is what was usually used."

Anyone know the outcome of Ashlynn's lawsuit? I failed in my attempt to come up with any current updates, except for possible 2019 Rehwaldt marriage. 

Good for Ruth if her departure was in allegiance with Ashlynn.

(listened to the interview clip . . . so accustomed to Alison that Ruth's British accent took me by surprise)

Edited by itsadryheat
typo
2 hours ago, itsadryheat said:

Interesting article. ( . . . especially in light of Noah's #MeToo experience)

"Some background: In September of 2015, Ashlynn Alexander showed up to work to be the body double for Affair star Ruth Wilson. She then says she found that assistant director Travis Rehwaldt had listed her role on that day’s call sheet as “Alison Sexytime Double” instead of “Alison Body Double,” which is what was usually used."

Anyone know the outcome of Ashlynn's lawsuit? I failed in my attempt to come up with any current updates, except for possible 2019 Rehwaldt marriage. 

Good for Ruth if her departure was in allegiance with Ashlynn.

(listened to the interview clip . . . so accustomed to Alison that Ruth's British accent took me by surprise)

there have been 23  motions filed on this case

this was the most recent I found

looks like one has to purchase this  most recent document

12/ 20 /18

https://www.courtlistener.com/docket/6123631/30/alexander-v-possible-productions-inc/

Alexander v. Possible Productions Inc.

Order of Automatic Referral to Mediation — Document #30

District Court, S.D. New York

Docket Number: 1:17-cv-05532

Date Filed: December 20th, 2018

Looks like it's a little over a year since Possible productions Inc filed a motion to  Compel Arbitration and stay the action, or, in the alternative, to dismiss the complaint.

https://pospislaw.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/Alexander-v.-Possible-Productions-Inc..pdf

UNITED STATES DISTRICT COURT SOUTHERN DISTRICT OF NEW YORK --------------------------------------------X ASHLYNN ALEXANDER, Plaintiff, 17 Civ. 5532 (DAB) MEMORANDUM & ORDER v. POSSIBLE PRODUCTIONS, INC., et al., Defendants. --------------------------------------------X DEBORAH A. BATTS, United States District Judge. On July 20, 2017, Plaintiff Ashlynn Alexander filed a Complaint against Defendants Possible Productions Inc. (“Possible”), Showtime Pictures Development Company (“Showtime”), and Travis Rehwaldt, asserting claims for sex discrimination under the New York City Human Rights Law (“NYCHRL”) (Count 3) and for retaliation under Title VII (Count 1), the New York State Human Rights Law (“NYSHRL”) (Count 2), and NYCHRL (Count 4), stemming from her work as a body double on the television show The Affair. Defendants filed the instant Motion to compel the arbitration of Plaintiff’s claims or, in the alternative, to dismiss them. For the following reasons, the Court DENIES Defendants’ Motion to Compel Arbitration and DENIES their Motion to Dismiss. Case 1:17-cv-05532-DAB Document 24 Filed 10/04/18 Page 1 of 16

2 I.BACKGROUND A.Allegations Relevant to Employment Discrimination Plaintiff alleges that she was employed by Showtime and Possible from October 2013 to September 2015 as a body double for the character of Alison on the television show The Affair. (Compl. ¶ 36.) Rehwaldt was an assistant director on the show and was allegedly Plaintiff’s supervisor. (Id. ¶¶ 37-38.) At the end of filming each day, all cast and crew members received a call sheet, created by Rehwaldt, which listed each person’s role and a detailed schedule for the next day’s work. (Id. ¶ 39-40.) Generally, the call sheets listed Plaintiff’s role as “Alison Body Double.” (Id. ¶ 42.) Plaintiff alleges that on September 17, 2015, she received a call sheet (the “Call Sheet”) from Rehwaldt describing her role as, “Alison Sexytime Double.” (Id. ¶¶ 44-45.) Defendants have attached the purported Call Sheet to their Motion to Dismiss. (Declaration of Mary Eaton (“Eaton Decl.”) Ex. F.) That document lists Plaintiff’s name under a column entitled cast with her character listed as “Alison Double” in the column next to her name. Lower down on the same sheet in a section entitled “Instructions,” the Call Sheet says: “MAKEUP/HAIR: Alison sexy time Double. Sc. B: Noah’s Jacket.” (Id.) Plaintiff alleges that she felt humiliated after receiving the Call Sheet because she thought it reduced her to a sexual Case 1:17-cv-05532-DAB Document 24 Filed 10/04/18 Page 2 of 16

3 object. (Compl. ¶¶ 45-47.) The day after she received the Call Sheet, she met with Rehwaldt to complain of what she felt was sexual harassment. (Id. ¶ 48.) Plaintiff told him that he had sexually harassed her, that his actions humiliated her in front of her coworkers, and that she was concerned she would not be paid properly for her work the day before. (Id. ¶ 49.) Rehwaldt allegedly admitted that the language he used on the Call Sheet was inappropriate but also told her that she could be replaced easily. (Id. ¶ 50.) Plaintiff did not complain further because she was allegedly afraid that she would lose her job. (Id. ¶ 52.) On September 24, 2015, Plaintiff allegedly “received notice that she was no longer needed” on set for The Affair. (Id. ¶ 53.) When she asked for an explanation, she was allegedly told that she did not have a good hair match with the actress playing Ashley and that the show was looking for someone else to fill her role. (Id. ¶ 54.)1 Plaintiff thought that this explanation was untrue because she had been wearing a wig for the duration of her work in the role without issue and because the actress hired to replace her in the role also allegedly wears a wig. (Id. ¶¶ 55-56.) 1 Plaintiff does not explain who told her this in her Complaint. Case 1:17-cv-05532-DAB Document 24 Filed 10/04/18 Page 3 of 16

there are 13 more pages to the court case. link above

https://www.thewrap.com/the-affair-body-double-sues-claims-she-was-sexually-harassed/

The Affair’ Body Double Sues, Claims She Was Sexually Harassed

Woman says she was referred to as “Alison Sexytime Double” on call sheet

Tim Kenneally | July 21, 2017 @ 11:54 AM Last Updated: July 21, 2017 @ 12:41 PM

A woman who says that she worked as the body double for Ruth Wilson on the Showtime series “The Affair” is suing the cable outlet, claiming she suffered sexual harassment and was canned from her job after complaining about it.

In the lawsuit, Ashlynn Alexander — who says that she served as Wilson’s body double from October 2013 until September 2015 — says that an assistant director on the show referred to her as “Alison Sexytime Double” on a call sheet, an apparent reference to Wilson’s character, Alison Bailey.

Typically, the suit says, Alexander would be referred to as “Alison Body Double.”

Also Read: Sean 'Diddy' Combs Asked His Chef to Rate His Naked Body, Sexual Harassment Lawsuit Claims

“Ms. Alexander was humiliated. She takes her career seriously and knew that everyone working on ‘The Affair’ read the call sheet and would see her reduced to a sexual object,” the lawsuit, filed Thursday in federal court in New York, reads.

“Ms. Alexander was singled out and demeaned in front of everyone she worked with on set,” it continued.

According to Alexander, when she confronted him [the assistant director] about the reference, he “admitted that his language on the call sheet was inappropriate and then belittled Ms. Alexander, stating that she could be easily replaced.”

Less than a week later, in September 2015, that’s what happened, the suit alleges, as Alexander was sacked.

Also Read: Fox News Orders Sensitivity Training for All Employees After O'Reilly Sexual Harassment Scandal

The suit claims that Alexander was told her she was let go because “she did not have a good hair match with Wilson and ‘The Affair’ was looking for someone else to fill her former role” — which doesn’t make sense, according to the suit, she “had been wearing a wig for the duration of her work as Wilson’s body double, without issue.”

As a result of her alleged treatment, the lawsuit says, Alexander “became lethargic,withdrawn and depressed.”

“It is difficult for Ms. Alexander to approach potential jobs with the same enthusiasm and ambition. Ms. Alexander is afraid of the next possible situation where she will be harassed and humiliated,” the suit reads. “Ms. Alexander now suffers from a high level of anxiety which has negatively influenced the level of confidence that she has in her ability to perform her job.”

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr-esq/showtime-says-affair-actress-shouldnt-complain-being-called-a-sexytime-double-1053230?utm_source=twitter

October 31, 2017 7:54am PT by Eriq Gardner

Showtime Says 'The Affair' Actress Shouldn't Complain About Being Called a "Sexytime Double"

Fighting a lawsuit from a body double hired for the series, the network's attorneys try a 'Dunkirk' analogy.

Showtime's lawyers apparently didn't get the memo that this would be a good time to treat sexual harassment claims with extra sensitivity. Check out the arguments being presented in a lawsuit from Ashlynn Alexander, an actress who was hired as Ruth Wilson's body double on the The Affair.

Alexander claims she was fired after complaining of sexual harassment by an assistant director on set. Specifically, Alexander says she was humiliated when a call sheet described her as "Alison Sexytime Double." Seeing herself reduced to a sexual object, Alexander voiced objection. A few days later, she received notice that she was no longer needed for The Affair for the alleged reason that she was not a good hair match with Wilson. Alexander, who says she wore a wig for her role, is now suing for retaliation and discrimination.

On Monday, Showtime and Possible Productions brought a motion to either compel arbitration or dismiss the complaint outright.

The defendants see the objectionable description as completely appropriate.

"To the extent the Call Sheet refers to 'Alison sexy time' at all, that reference appears in the 'Instructions' portion of the Call Sheet, which contains detailed instructions on props, sound, set dress, location, hair, and makeup, the purpose of which is to ensure that the set and actors are made up appropriately for the scene about to be filmed," states the defendants' court brief. "It would make no sense, for instance, for an actor portraying a dying soldier on the beaches of Dunkirk to be dressed up for a fashion show, freshly showered, clean shaven and coiffed."

Showtime then adds that Alexander "can therefore scarcely complain that the hair and makeup instructions in question provided that the Alison character be made up for 'sexy time' when the scene in question involved intimate close-up shots of Alison engaged in simulated sexual intercourse, particularly when that was precisely the scene for which Plaintiff was hired."

The defendant also includes as an exhibit the "Nudity and Simulated Sex Rider" that Alexander allegedly executed when agreeing to the role as body double.

Later in the court brief, Showtime argues to the judge that Alexander hasn't adequately pled the elements of a discrimination claim.

The cable network's attorneys at Willkie Farr & Gallagher write, "Leaving aside the utter implausibility of Plaintiff’s contention that she was 'humiliated' by the reference to 'Alison sexy time' in the instructions portion of the Call Sheet, the Complaint does not allege any facts from which the Court can infer that the phrase 'sexy time' was included in the Call Sheet because Plaintiff is a woman." (Italics are used in the court brief.)

Showtime says the dispute deserves to be arbitrated because Alexander's daily hire contract contains a broad arbitration provision, but if the judge doesn't accept that, the defendants are additionally arguing that Alexander's complaint to her superior wasn't sufficient to put producers on notice that she was engaging in a protected activity. It's added that Showtime and Possible Productions owed her no additional employment once the filming of a sex scene concluded.

Edited by T Summer
added more info

Thank you for the research.  

I admire anyone who stands up for themselves, especially legally, as it is much easier in the short term to take it and maintain the status quo. Interesting they would introduce a hint of Noah #MeToo content, with no follow thru, with this in the background. 

• Love 2

OMG, this might ruffle a few feathers, but I don't see how writing "sexytime double"  is considered sexual harassment?  I thought the assistant director was Weinsteining her or pressuring her for sex to keep her job.   I'd kill to read the language in her job description but believe the primary requirements would be to look like Alison from a distance, get naked and simulate fucking.   Perhaps bent over a truck cab,  pounded into sand, or jack-hammered in the Hamptons,  but if calling it sexytime triggered the delicate sensibilities of this person, god help us all.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Razzberry said:

OMG, this might ruffle a few feathers, but I don't see how writing "sexytime double"  is considered sexual harassment?  I thought the assistant director was Weinsteining her or pressuring her for sex to keep her job.   I'd kill to read the language in her job description but believe the primary requirements would be to look like Alison from a distance, get naked and simulate fucking.   Perhaps bent over a truck cab,  pounded into sand, or jack-hammered in the Hamptons,  but if calling it sexytime triggered the delicate sensibilities of this person, god help us all.

THANK YOU! I didn't know whether to open that whole kettle of fish in case someone felt differently and then I began to ask myself... am I wrong? should I be outraged for this girl?

I think in the 16 page document in the 2nd link you actually can read her job description IIRC

Now, if she was Alison's stunt double for physical stuff i.e. things untrained people could get hurt doing, then sexytime double would be outrageous. For sex scenes, not so much. Unless I'm really missing something?

I would hate to think R.W. quit in solidarity over that.

I've never had the luxury to be able to quit working any time I saw or heard anything distasteful to me and most other people haven't either.

Now, if the stunt double said I'd rather you not put sexytime double on the board for the whole production company to see, she should have not gotten push back. If she said such and then got fired for it then she could have a case. I guess I  think and hope adults handle themselves  well enough  and are understanding enough to work that kind of thing out. We don't know how the conversation(s) went  before they let her go saying her hair wasn't a good match, when the article said they wear wigs. That's the part that sounds like the production co. did something wrong, unless there's missing info.

Edited by T Summer
  • Love 1
17 hours ago, T Summer said:

THANK YOU! I didn't know whether to open that whole kettle of fish in case someone felt differently and then I began to ask myself... am I wrong? should I be outraged for this girl?

I know, right?  But then I got angry because trivial stuff like this does a disservice to real victims of sexual harassment.  I didn't mean to denigrate her job on the show,  but given the realities calling it "sexytime" struck me as discretionary, not meant to be humiliating.    

I don't know if it was forshawing or intentional or not, but remember the Episode in Season 4 where Alison goes to LA, she's on the plane, and that guy sitting next to her harrassed her?  He started caressing her knee and everything, it was creepy.

And of course Alison is the one getting arrested for throwing wine on him.

Hi folks,

in season 5 (I don't know episode number), Helen attends a house party with Sascha Mann (spoiler: in this episod, Mann refuses to realise a film project with a long-term depressive guy).

At this party, Helen wears an awesome ear jewellery (some kind of cosmic stuff). Anyone knows where I can get this as christmas present for my GF?

Best wishes and thanks a lot!!

Jens

On 11/5/2019 at 11:51 PM, Razzberry said:

OMG, this might ruffle a few feathers, but I don't see how writing "sexytime double"  is considered sexual harassment? 

That's the only complaint I read as well, so don't know if that was the only problem, or was just the last straw. If I had quit when someone made a suggestive comment to me on my job, I would have lasted maybe one week. I refuse to believe that any mature woman should be outraged and horrified enough to leave over a single comment unless she was raised in a bubble. I would wager there is not one woman in the workplace who has never, ever had a sexual innuendo thrown her way.