Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E07: Here Fishy, Fishy

• Start Topic

This will be the challenge that takes the competition to the next level. Chefs are alarmed when they learn the ins and outs of what it takes to make a next level fish dish. And, for the first time ever, when the platform comes down, it will not be stopping. Who will sink and who will swim in the all-new "Here Fishy, Fishy" episode of Next Level Chef airing Thursday, March 23 (8:00-9:00 PM ET/PT) on Fox

14 hours ago, KeithJ said:

What’s the deal with Tineke and her head tilting when standing in line?  That’s fairly annoying.

I find most things about her fairly annoying. Not as much as I do everything about Chris. But even if I were not inclined to root against Team Blais inherently, the only person who seemed memorable and non-annoying this season on his team was Mehreen.

Right now it seems like it is biding time before we get to the real contenders: Nuri, Omi, Pilar, Tucker, and Mehreen.

I'm hoping Chris doesn't make it to a final five, but he just may.

It's possible Preston will sneak in that sort of top 5, but I think he's destined for the "Young man, if only I had had your skills at just 19 years of age! Whatever you do, don't stop cooking." style speech that he gives pretty much everywhere besides Masterchef Jr. these days, and/or someone saying "you get the consolation prize of getting to stage at any of my restaurants"/"I'll pay for you to go to culinary school"/look me up if you're in _________.

• Like 4
On 3/23/2023 at 11:30 PM, KeithJ said:

What’s the deal with Tineke and her head tilting when standing in line?  That’s fairly annoying.

She's the one that irritates me the most and typically that means she'll be a major focus all season and win it all. The head tilting, her mannerisms, her voice and on and on. I don't know if she has some medical condition that makes her so thin and sickly looking. Her head tilting and swaying when she's just standing and other things she says about not being strong enough to do this or that makes me think she needs to eat something before she passes out.

I'm also over the whole "social media" contestants on cooking shows. One of the biggest things to me about what makes a good chef is the taste of the food. You can't really tell that off a social media post. Needs to be cooked and served to actual people. I've cooked some things that looked amazing and tasted like crap and some things that looked like crap that tasted amazing.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
4 hours ago, Lurk said:

She's the one that irritates me the most and typically that means she'll be a major focus all season and win it all. The head tilting, her mannerisms, her voice and on and on. I don't know if she has some medical condition that makes her so thin and sickly looking. Her head tilting and swaying when she's just standing and other things she says about not being strong enough to do this or that makes me think she needs to eat something before she passes out.

I'm also over the whole "social media" contestants on cooking shows. One of the biggest things to me about what makes a good chef is the taste of the food. You can't really tell that off a social media post. Needs to be cooked and served to actual people. I've cooked some things that looked amazing and tasted like crap and some things that looked like crap that tasted amazing.

She reminds me of an old co-worker (even looks like her) who was fired for being on some drug or other. I don't know which, but that's who she reminds me of.

4 hours ago, mertensia said:

She reminds me of an old co-worker (even looks like her) who was fired for being on some drug or other. I don't know which, but that's who she reminds me of.

That could be the issue too. IDK.

I noticed that when they have all 3 groups of contestants lined up for announcements or whatever, everyone is standing calmly listening and she's popping out of formation, looking down the line, fidgeting around.

• Useful 1

I don't know the names of the two women on Gordon's team, but both need to put their hair up.  One of them practically had her hair in the fish she was fileting.  It was distracting and I am surprised they do not require them to pull it off their face.......and the food.  No way could you work in Gordan's restaurant with your hair down.  

• Like 3
On 3/26/2023 at 12:54 AM, Lurk said:

I noticed that when they have all 3 groups of contestants lined up for announcements or whatever, everyone is standing calmly listening and she's popping out of formation, looking down the line, fidgeting around.

Could also be ADHD.  Being a chef is a good career for people with ADHD because you are busy all the time, and even when repetitive you are active.  Excess fidgeting also burns calories.  Its often under diagnosed in girls, unfortunately.

• Useful 1

Not surprised Matt left.  I do find it kind of suspect when the two blind judges don't agree, leaving the one judge who knows exactly who cooked which dish with the sole elimination power.  It did seem like both Matt and Preston cooked good dishes, so maybe she was just going by track records.  Matt had won the exemption but had also ended up in the bottom before, so this was his second time.  On the whole, I think of the dishes that got them sent to the elimination battle, I think Preston's completely raw salmon was worse than Matt's cod with the elderflower.  At least Matt's was edible.

I liked both of them but I like Preston more, so I'm glad he stayed.  However, Nyesha said she gave him the edge because he made tortellini in 30 minutes.  Was it that much of a difference?  I know his pasta was fresh while Matt's was not, but he made some pasta dough and cut a circle, is it that hard?  Seemed to me that Matt's flavours and combinations were more complex.  I know that I would much rather order Matt's dish in a restaurant, it seemed way more substantial than just the three or four tortellini that Preston made.

BTW... both Nyesha and Gordon called it what I call it, "tortellini", while Richard made a point to call it "tortelloni" with an O.  What's the difference?

On 3/25/2023 at 2:13 PM, Lurk said:

I don't like her much.  I agree the head tilting is odd.  I can't decide if she reminds me of Gollum or an Elf girl.

I reserve most of my hate, however, for Chris.  He can't leave soon enough.  He is by far the most arrogant of the contestants, nobody else (except maybe the ER doctor) has this cocky attitude.  Everyone else seems like fairly nice people.  I can't stand how he talks about himself in the third person, and I was so so so happy that he didn't win best dish, if only because he was so sure he was going to win.

My absolute favourite is Pilar.  I also like Nuri, Preston, and Shay, even though Shay probably isn't going to last much longer.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, blackwing said:

BTW... both Nyesha and Gordon called it what I call it, "tortellini", while Richard made a point to call it "tortelloni" with an O.  What's the difference?

I reserve most of my hate, however, for Chris.  He can't leave soon enough.  He is by far the most arrogant of the contestants, nobody else (except maybe the ER doctor) has this cocky attitude.  Everyone else seems like fairly nice people.  I can't stand how he talks about himself in the third person, and I was so so so happy that he didn't win best dish, if only because he was so sure he was going to win.

Tortelloni is bigger than tortellini, is the only difference.

I share your hatred for Chris (and his greasy hair--I know, it's product, but it looks gross). Lose, already, jerkface!

• LOL 1
On 3/24/2023 at 3:14 PM, Chicago Redshirt said:

Right now it seems like it is biding time before we get to the real contenders: Nuri, Omi, Pilar, Tucker, and Mehreen.

You pretty much called it.

My thoughts previous to the finale was that Mehreen would have to go for Nuri to get to the end…

• Like 1
On 3/31/2023 at 2:03 AM, Such A Flirt said:

Creepy Chris is driving me insane with his self-referring in the third person.

And yeah, Tini is very strange. And Michelle reminds me of Cecily Strong from SNL.

Tini’s videos kept playing on my Facebook feed! I can’t stand her and had to block her smug face. And every video introduction: is me cooking for my MAN lol. Pathetic Tini self worth is in her ability to get some dude. Go away Tini the smug gollum. She does look like she is using something.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1