Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E05: The Spy Who Loved Me

• Start Topic

Daphne enlists the Nicolettis to steal a book of blackmail from a DC fixer. Later, Charlie puts his relationship with Emma on the line to ensure her safety.

Airing: March 26, 2023

So knowing that Daphne is watching her and plotting against her, he approaches her on the street with no disguise because there is no possibility that one of them is being followed?  

It is this kind of lazy writing that annoys me when a show tries to be "smart" in other areas.  This show had so much promise! 

I thought it would be a version of the British show "Hustle" with some very clever cons.....but so far I have been vastly underwhelmed and I feel some parts are woefully miscast. 

I think the mistake was making the love interest a government agent....

• Like 4
11 hours ago, catrice2 said:

When the episode closed with the "because I love you too" line I thought way to go writing yourself into a box that should be all but impossible to get out of as Emma goes into I was taken mode.  For how long, tune in next week.  But it will allow for the excuse to explain Emma losing steps on her career path

14 hours ago, catrice2 said:

I think the mistake was having them find out thier true identities so early in the series. After the first two episodes, I thought I had a pretty good idea of what the season/series was going to be and now I realize I was completely wrong. 

I was expecting a season of cat and mouse, and tons of near misses with Emma and Charlie, plus a caper/con/heist of the week.

I like the relationship between the siblings. Birdie knows when something is wrong with Charlie, and he will be honest with her. David and Emma have a similiar dynamic. 

• Like 5

Kinda soon for "I love you"s, I think. I've definitely complained about shows taking to long to reveal certain things, but this show is probably the one where they might be going a little too fast! And that includes Charlie's reveal to Emma.

I really enjoy seeing Sarah Wayne Callies and William Fichtner playing different characters, but I don't know if there has to be con operation every week.

I don't know the name of that DC political 'fixer'(??) that's helping Emma's brother (gotta learn these names, lol), but it looks like her plans are working perfectly -- for her, but hopefully the Brother benefits as well.

I really hope this Daphne plot is only for one season (if the show lasts longer) because I'm already starting to get tired of the family being under her thumb.

• Like 5

I'm probably alone in this, but unfortunately, I'm just not feeling the relationship between Charlie and Emma. They went out a few times, hooked up a few times, and they're already in love (& Emma wants him to come to Mexico with her)? They don't know each other & neither had a moment to even process the end of their previous relationship. Like, whoa, slow down. Frankly, Charlie should have bailed the moment he was interrogated by the CIA. Eh, I'm not into it.

It was nice seeing Paul Blackthorne again, though!

• Like 4
1 hour ago, SonofaBiscuit said:

I'm probably alone in this, but unfortunately, I'm just not feeling the relationship between Charlie and Emma.

You are not alone. Normally they hook-up in a car in some random alley. I don't know what Emma was thinking getting a fancy hotel like that and then bailing/breaking up the first hint that your relationship isn't quite at the leave your family behind and move with me to another Country stage. Emma had an entire weekend to get Charlie to that point, but didn't think it was even worth trying.

• Like 4

This is pretty off topic, but of all the dangling plots, the thing that I’m hung up on is the idea that the Nicolettis were apparently able to make millions a week running grifts…but just didn’t? If they could dig themselves out of a multimillion dollar hole when pressed, why are they running a family bar? They’re not new at this. 
I’m liking the show for what it’s worth. The casting is phenomenal & the family even look alike - I’m frequently confusing mother & daughter con artists, especially when they’re in wigs. 

• Like 3
19 hours ago, RedInk said:

This is pretty off topic, but of all the dangling plots, the thing that I’m hung up on is the idea that the Nicolettis were apparently able to make millions a week running grifts…but just didn’t? If they could dig themselves out of a multimillion dollar hole when pressed, why are they running a family bar? They’re not new at this. 
I’m liking the show for what it’s worth. The casting is phenomenal & the family even look alike - I’m frequently confusing mother & daughter con artists, especially when they’re in wigs. 

This is a guess/pure speculation. The only reason they doing multi-million dollar cons every week is to pay back Daphne. Under more normal circumstances, they run the bar as a legitimate source of income and to pay thier expenses between multi-million dollar cons. They clearly prefer doing thorough research and leaving as little to chance as possible when it comes to jobs. 

• Like 2
On 3/28/2023 at 11:03 AM, SonofaBiscuit said:

I'm probably alone in this, but unfortunately, I'm just not feeling the relationship between Charlie and Emma. They went out a few times, hooked up a few times, and they're already in love (& Emma wants him to come to Mexico with her)? They don't know each other & neither had a moment to even process the end of their previous relationship. Like, whoa, slow down. Frankly, Charlie should have bailed the moment he was interrogated by the CIA. Eh, I'm not into it.

It was nice seeing Paul Blackthorne again, though!

I'm not feeling it. I like the leads (and all of the cast) but there's no sizzle between Charlie and Emma. I'm having a tough time buying her as someone who has a casual hook-up, much less someone who says I love you a couple of weeks (?) later. I'm not sure how long it's supposed to have been. Also, her reaction to Charlie not responding to her premature declaration of love was childish. This show had promise but it tends to sit around on our DVR for a few days and isn't ever my first choice of what to watch each week.

• Like 3
On 3/30/2023 at 6:20 PM, RedInk said:

I’m frequently confusing mother & daughter con artists, especially when they’re in wigs.

I'm glad I am not the only one. Just catching up with the show and felt the same way initially, but I am getting better at it. Just finished this episode so I have not seen it all yet.