Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E03: Separate Pairs

Trini
  • Start Topic

Henry and Helen go undercover as billionaires when the Omega Sector team gets an opportunity to bring down a weapons dealer. Helen struggles to separate her home and new work life.

Airdate: March 15, 2023

Here's the thing: I don't think this show is bad, but I don't think there's anything remarkable about it either. The leads work well together, so that's good.

Didn't care about the two other team members whose names I don't even know and their relationship issues; we've barely even met them.

I know the writers want to make it believable that Helen can go out on these missions, but I feel like with her being so good, so soon, they're missing out on using 'fish out of water' tropes.

Nitpick from the Pilot, but since they are showing it in the intro every episode (so far): Helen is a language professor, but on the chalkboard(whiteboard?) behind her in her classroom there were math equations. Get it together, props & sets!

This show really isn't working for me. I think I might be done with it. The graphics-heavy mission briefings feel cartoonish. If they want to lean into parody then it would be fine but it's a little too illustrated to take seriously. And I'm still too distracted by Helen's heavy eye makeup. Even when she's teaching a class of students via Zoom she's got serious club-hopping eye makeup on. Tone it down, lady.

• Like 3

This show is great for multi-tasking alongside. 
I did notice Owain Yeoman from The Mentalist was in this episode.

18 hours ago, Trini said:

I know the writers want to make it believable that Helen can go out on these missions, but I feel like with her being so good, so soon, they're missing out on using 'fish out of water' tropes.

I like Helen being probably smarter than her DH.

• Like 2

I'm probably not focusing on the things the show wants me to focus on, but at the end when they were playing with the money and Helen kept kissing and licking it, I got serious heebee jeebies.  She's supposed to be smart, she should know how seriously disgusting money is.  

I likes me some dumb TV, but not sure I can keep going with this one.   I might stick long enough to watch Tom Arnold.  Unless they take forever to get to him.

Was nice to see Owain Yeoman tho.

1 hour ago, bunnyface said:

I'm probably not focusing on the things the show wants me to focus on, but at the end when they were playing with the money and Helen kept kissing and licking it, I got serious heebee jeebies.  She's supposed to be smart, she should know how seriously disgusting money is

I just thought Scrooge McDucking the money in the bathtub was a waste of an idea, not an improvement. 
They could have just spread out on the bed and rolled around on it a bit if they really wanted to use up time on that trope. 

On 3/16/2023 at 4:59 PM, iMonrey said:

This show really isn't working for me. I think I might be done with it. The graphics-heavy mission briefings feel cartoonish. If they want to lean into parody then it would be fine but it's a little too illustrated to take seriously. And I'm still too distracted by Helen's heavy eye makeup. Even when she's teaching a class of students via Zoom she's got serious club-hopping eye makeup on. Tone it down, lady.

I will not stop saying this, even when it's cancelled. Any series based on the blockbuster True Lies should be on a paid cable channel or a streaming network. TL was the first movie to cost a hundred million to make and it was rated R. I didn't even pause it when I went into another room. 

Edited by Simba122504
  • Like 1
On 3/17/2023 at 6:21 PM, bunnyface said:

I'm probably not focusing on the things the show wants me to focus on, but at the end when they were playing with the money and Helen kept kissing and licking it, I got serious heebee jeebies.  She's supposed to be smart, she should know how seriously disgusting money is.  

What bugged me was that they took all that neatly bundled cash out of their bundles.  Who gets to put it back?  And what about papercuts?!

• Like 1
  • LOL 1