Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E02: Chapter Ten

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, cardigirl said:

I wonder what Perry's son's teacher's role is going to be in this series. Was she flirting with Perry at the parent-teacher conference or was she challenging him? (Could be both.) Katherine Waterston is a big enough name, I think the role will be important, but I'm not sure how. 

Perry and his son's teacher seemed like a match made in heaven. 
But in this grim and hopeless story, I doubt there will be any "happily ever after."

On 3/13/2023 at 10:08 PM, aghst said:

So Perry gave up criminal law because he was haunted by how the season 1 case turned out.  But he could go do civil cases to pay the bills -- I think today, lawyers are way more specialized and they wouldn't be able to easily switch.

As a number of people have posted, generalists will take on any case that presents itself.  

And, of course, a TV script will do whatever is necessary for the storyline.  In the OG Perry Mason, Perry's case of the week was criminal defense, but he also represented many companies, doing corporate law.  (Which usually resulted in getting him clients to defend for murder.) 

I agree with others that it is likely that all of Matthew Rhys' cases are going to wind up being related.  

Edited by buckboard
  • Like 2
2 minutes ago, Gillian Rosh said:

Pete saying "Clickety-clack, I know that look" was so delightful...

Even Pete knows that the murder scene makes no sense, but he has to follow his Boss.

• Like 1
On 3/15/2023 at 10:18 AM, shapeshifter said:

Anyway, I hope we see Dobie the Guard Dog wagging his tail at Perry in a future episode.
Or at least growling at him.

When Perry crawls under the door, the dog is moving and/or whimpering slightly, still alive. I'm pretty certain that's a trope intended to let the audience know the victim will recover. They do it for humans too.

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1
  • Wink 1
  • Love 1

One thing that annoyed me in The Americans was Rhys's halting, hesitating way of speaking. So I'm once again annoyed in this series - he speaks the same way. I wonder if that's just the way Rhys speaks in general or what. Anyway I'm not letting that stop me from enjoying this excellent show. I just re-watched Season 1 and had forgotten how good it was. This season looks to be at least as good. Last season he had a Perry Mason moment in Court in his imagination. I hope to see one this season for real!

1 hour ago, Pike Ludwell said:

One thing that annoyed me in The Americans was Rhys's halting, hesitating way of speaking.

Might stop him from losing his American accent...

• Like 1
  • Useful 2

It also seems like a bit too much of a coincidence that Della and Perry are working for a predatory grocer when something sketchy is going on with local produce suppliers. I suspect that these plots might end up colliding. 

There was already a minor "collision." In the scene where Sunny is sniffing the melon and talking about produce providers, the box from which he took the fruit was labeled "Goldstein Produce."

• Useful 1
18 hours ago, J-Man said:

In the scene where Sunny is sniffing the melon and talking about produce providers, the box from which he took the fruit was labeled "Goldstein Produce."

Sunny needs to find a new supplier... it will either close or get taken over by The Mob...

• Useful 1
10 hours ago, BradandJanet said:

Who took out the murder evidence box before Perry and Della and slipped a piece of paper into the victim's wallet? I wasn't watching closely enough and got confused. 

They purposefully obscured the figure in darkness so we couldn't see who it was.

• Thanks 1
44 minutes ago, tljgator said:

They purposefully obscured the figure in darkness so we couldn't see who it was.

Not even the gender or color of the planter of the evidence was revealed, IIRC?
And, for all we know, the evidence was there originally, was removed, and was then replaced by whomever. But that is probably too convoluted. 

13 minutes ago, BradandJanet said:

Did Perry and Della find the paper when they were going through the box, or is it still Chekov's gun?

IIRC, Perry found it when he was sleuthing around with his old PI skills. But I may not Recall Correctly. Was it Paul?

• Useful 1
1 minute ago, shapeshifter said:

Not even the gender or color of the planter of the evidence was revealed, IIRC?
And, for all we know, the evidence was there originally, was removed, and was then replaced by whomever. But that is probably too convoluted. 

I haven't rewatched, so I could be misremembering, too (we're a sorry lot aren't we, lol), but I think the figure was wearing a fedora-type hat, so I presumed male, but I suppose that could be misdirection as well.

• Useful 2
Just now, tljgator said:

I haven't rewatched, so I could be misremembering, too (we're a sorry lot aren't we, lol), but I think the figure was wearing a fedora-type hat, so I presumed male, but I suppose that could be misdirection as well.

I think we saw Della in a fedora-type hat — maybe when she was attending a social event? I don't think Della would ever do anything questionable with evidence, so maybe she was wearing a sort of Chekhovian fashion so if it was a woman in a fedora putting something into the evidence, we can't complain that we weren't forewarned?

• LOL 1

The person who slipped the card in the wallet had to ask the uniformed clerk in the evidence room to get the box off the shelf and give it to him/her. Since the clerk gave him/her the box and then turned to do other things while the box was on the counter suggests Fedora Wearer was known to the police. Boxes of evidence don't just get handed to anyone who comes in and asks. 

• Like 1