Type keyword(s) to search

Triangle of Sadness (2022)

Laurie4H
  • Start Topic

(edited)

Did anyone watch this?  It’s on Hulu and nominated for best picture.  It makes me lose faith in the industry when a movie this terrible is nominated.  
it started off interesting enough but once it got to the long disgusting 

Spoiler

Vomiting and diarrhea scenes 

It was awful.  Who wants to watch that?

Edited by Laurie4H
  • Like 2

I hated it.  The only reason I placed it slightly above my least favorite film of the Best Picture nominees is because at least it wasn't dull. There was a lot going on.

It got an 8 minute standing ovation at the Canne's Film Festival, as well as the award for best picture and best director.  It's reactions like that that convince me that a movie like The Menu could have been made about the movie industry, too.

• Like 1

I saw it this weekend. It went on way too long, especially when it 

Spoiler

had a cliffhanger ending. Like you show barfing and diarrhea for over 10 minutes for no reason and then you don't actually end your movie?! Ugh!

The first scene with the male models changing their expressions according to low cost brands or high end brands was the best part. I wanted to throat punch, Karl. What a whiner. He's that person who will whine and whine, until you do what he wants or agree with him. Then, when you do, he'll still keep whining! 

The Menu did a much better job of satirizing the 1%. That movie should've gotten all the nominations that this one did.

• Like 4

I just finished this on Hulu. I only watched it because of the Oscar nominations and I am stunned it got any. This was not good and it was too long and you definitely feel it. I hated the scene where everyone got sick and again that part of the movie went on for some time.  I figured Abigail was not going to be happy at the end when they found the resort. I don't know why Carl was running away at the end of the movie. Probably some deep meaning that the movie thinks it has but not really. 

• Like 2
On 3/9/2023 at 11:40 AM, Book Junkie said:

The first scene with the male models changing their expressions according to low cost brands or high end brands was the best part.

I loved that part, and it gave me high hopes for the rest of the movie.

I'd seen two of Ostlund's previous movies, and it was like a progression from Force Majeure, which I liked a lot and seemed pretty "normal" to me, then The Square, which was a little more out there, and now Triangle of Sadness, which was even more out there but the gross-out scenes were indeed too gross for me, so I ultimately didn't love it.  But there was enough that I appreciated that I'm not troubled by having forked over money for a ticket.

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

I ultimately didn't love it.  But there was enough that I appreciated that I'm not troubled by having forked over money for a ticket.

That's exactly how I felt.  I didn't particularly love it but I wasn't mad about it either.  

• Like 1

I saw it last night. I was surprised at how much I liked it. Like many of the best picture nominees, there was a point towards the middle where my mind started to drift, and it lost my interest, but once they got to the island, I was invested. It kept my attention. The gross-out moments were indeed gross (and I think the puking reached overkill status), but it's such a short stretch of a two-and-a-half-hour movie. 

The first moment that made me LOL and think that I was probably going to like this was when they made all of these people get up and move to make way for the more important people. Then the next cut is to the screen, saying, "Everybody is equal." Another scene that made me laugh was when one of the guys went out to kill a deer. I hate animal death scenes and partially cringed while watching it. But I had to laugh at the contrast between them at first, all acting like Alpha males and proud of the man behaving like a hunter, and then it ends up with all of them in tears, hugging it out because of how difficult it ended up being to kill it.

Usually, I loathe ambiguous endings, and I did think, "WTH" when the movie faded to black, but I'm not as upset about it as I usually am. Maybe it helps that the actress playing Abigail says yes, she did kill Yaya.

• Like 1

I watched it to watch fellow Filipino Dolly de Leon, and my reaction as the movie went along was that "This is such a European film..." It's style, it's storytelling, it's tics, etc., felt very European, whatever that means, really. I know I wasn't watching an American movie, even if it was in English. 

I very much enjoyed Force Majeure from Ruben Ostlund so I was actually looking forward to this. It's a mixed bag for me. I think there were better eat the rich movies in 2022. 

• Like 1

I thought the “money talk” between Karl and Yaya was an insightful comic highlight.

Karl yelling in desperation “Its not about the money” should strike a chord with many per relationships and finance, of course he was only half right.  It’s not about the money but simultaneously also it IS about the money.

So sad about Charlbi Dean (played YaYa) dying so tragically young.

• Like 2
On 3/13/2023 at 4:26 PM, slowpoked said:

I watched it to watch fellow Filipino Dolly de Leon, and my reaction as the movie went along was that "This is such a European film..." It's style, it's storytelling, it's tics, etc., felt very European, whatever that means, really. I know I wasn't watching an American movie, even if it was in English. 

This. I don't know how to describe it either. But it's the same feeling I got while watching The Lobster and (many moons ago) The Cook, the Thief, His Wife, and Her Lover.

I watched this movie on a long plane ride.  Overall, I liked it.  But I have some questions.

The rich lady that forced all of the crew to go swimming despite the chef saying the food will go bad.  It's implied that this is what causes many of the guests to have diarrhea later on, since although the yacht was going through a bad storm, the storm seems like it would only cause vomiting and seasickness, not diarrhea, right?

The vomiting and diarrhea was a bit much, especially the scenes of the backed up toilet.  Yuck.

I am not really sure what the message of the movie was supposed to be.  It was poking fun at the mega-rich by turning the tables on them.  Once they got to the island, it turns out that the lowly ship's maid is the only one who can keep them alive with food.  It would have been nice if the rich survivors acknowledged how lucky they were to be marooned with her and that it caused them to re-think how they treat others who aren't as affluent as them.  But then the lady simply became one of them, flaunting her power and forcing the young model to sleep with her in exchange for food.  That was disappointing, what was the message supposed to be then?  To me, it seemed to be a commentary that no matter who anyone is, anyone in a position of power and wealth ends up treating others poorly.

I'm not sure what to make of the ending.  Yaya discovers they have been living next to a resort the entire time.  Abigail doesn't want them to get rescued because that means she loses all of her power and loses Carl.  So she moves to kill Yaya with a rock.  Then we see Carl frantically running through the forest.

What does this mean?  They were on the other side of the island or at least over a steep hill from the rest.  Not sure if Carl could have heard Yaya scream.  My interpretation is that Carl came across the vendor selling stuff that the German lady encountered and realised this meant that Yaya was in danger.  So he is running to save her.  But I think unfortunately he will be too late.