Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E06: Two by Two

• Start Topic

Why was Alicia Nevins assigned to waste management when she is clearly the smartest person on the ship?

Is telling that William Trust is stashed in a criobed really counted as doctor patient confidentiality.  Although it is a good way to get out of the way that Trust is a controversial figure that alot of people love and alot of people hate and its hard to know which is which so Spencer probably is best not telling Sharon even though she just guilt tripped him with Illicit  booze and the idea that there is no secrets between them.  Its also an interesting development that Spencer's good buddy Brice might be one of the people that might hate Trust because he is dying because of something Trust did.  I still say Trust is going to be the arch villian of season 2.

Both Eva and Strickland turn out to be extremely good people not giving away the secrets or destroying the lives of people they could have.  The Doctor Nadir addiction storyline could have ended badly but it might just end with her actually getting a good nights rest because she needs one. 

• Like 1
(edited)

Its also an interesting development that Spencer's good buddy Brice might be one of the people that might hate Trust because he is dying because of something Trust did. 

One of the earlier episodes had a flashback where it was shown that Brice was not a fan of the guy and that's probably a big reason why. So him finding out that Trust is on board and was lying again probably won't go over well.

Speaking of Brice, I'm assuming he had some connections to pull a few strings to get him on the ark. His illness is most likely why he got switched from being a pilot to a navigator despite being an ace among aces so somebody had to know.  

It looks like Eva is going to go from mourning Harris to getting attached to a dead guy walking in some capacity. 

As for the rest, Strickland continues to be Strickland, Cat certainly has some personal connection to Trust, and the other ark should give us a different looking crisis next week. I do hope Garnet's cloning powers don't get routinely spammed going forward.

Edited by Dac22
  • Like 1
20 hours ago, Chaos Theory said:

Why was Alicia Nevins assigned to waste management when she is clearly the smartest person on the ship?

Whoever was previously in charge and doing the hiring must not have wanted others to see a young woman being so much smarter than them. I mean, Alicia said in the pilot she was 19. To have multiple degrees at 19 is another level of genius.

20 hours ago, Chaos Theory said:

Is telling that William Trust is stashed in a criobed really counted as doctor patient confidentiality.

I'm not sure it really did. Cat told the investigator about Eva hating the dead guy a few episodes ago. I know she thought Eva was a killer, but she really had no hard evidence about that. She just suspected a crime so she told, which I think is not somethings doctors can do in the real world.

• Like 1
17 hours ago, Dac22 said:

Speaking of Brice, I'm assuming he had some connections to pull a few strings to get him on the ark. His illness is most likely why he got switched from being a pilot to a navigator despite being an ace among aces so somebody had to know.  

I am failing to see how either position is supposed to be less prestigious or accepting of an officer who might be prone to blacking out

So, Ark 3 shows up -- where was it originally headed ?  And why is it so far off course ?
While it makes senses that Ark 3 would have large amounts of U-238, but why would it have large amounts of the mystery crystal ?

The episode starts off with a super that says "3.2 Earth months later" -- must be the future since they are using decimal months.  #sarcasm

How come it took 3.2 Earth months for Ava to tell the senior staff that the Ark was nearly out of fuel ?  What was she waiting for all this time ?

The Doctor was taking amphetamines hard for over 3.2 Earth months -- yeah, she's going to need more than one good night sleep to walk that kind of addiction off.

The whole flyby of the star was ridiculous -- they swung around the star in seconds.  At those kind of speeds they shouldn't have had to worry about fixing the solar sails -- maybe they went back in time like in Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home.  ;)
And accelerating hard with Garnett still out on the tether was equally ridiculous.

So when are Ava and Bryce going to hook up ?

• Like 1
19 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

I'm not sure it really did. Cat told the investigator about Eva hating the dead guy a few episodes ago. I know she thought Eva was a killer, but she really had no hard evidence about that. She just suspected a crime so she told, which I think is not somethings doctors can do in the real world.

Yes, doctors in the real world can break confidentiality if the patient has harmed or intends to harm someone. So this has tracked so far, with Cat breaking it to tell Felix that Ava could’ve killed the imposter guy. And Cat not breaking it for Lane’s secret about Trust in cryo.

The media video Lane was watching was interesting about how Trust is to go on Ark V because he’s supposed to hang around and perfect the light speed drives first. I’m guessing that was a big fat lie that there is no perfecting to be done and he was getting the hell off earth while he could.

• Like 1
17 hours ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

So, Ark 3 shows up -- where was it originally headed ?  And why is it so far off course ?
While it makes senses that Ark 3 would have large amounts of U-238, but why would it have large amounts of the mystery crystal ?

The episode starts off with a super that says "3.2 Earth months later" -- must be the future since they are using decimal months.  #sarcasm

How come it took 3.2 Earth months for Ava to tell the senior staff that the Ark was nearly out of fuel ?  What was she waiting for all this time ?

The Doctor was taking amphetamines hard for over 3.2 Earth months -- yeah, she's going to need more than one good night sleep to walk that kind of addiction off.

The whole flyby of the star was ridiculous -- they swung around the star in seconds.  At those kind of speeds they shouldn't have had to worry about fixing the solar sails -- maybe they went back in time like in Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home.  ;)
And accelerating hard with Garnett still out on the tether was equally ridiculous.

So when are Ava and Bryce going to hook up ?

Ark 3 could have been hit with the same element, and that caused it to go so crazy off course? Maybe this element is all over the far out universe. 

I don't get how they are out of fuel. They were supposed to fly for 6 years. They woke up early, but how does that mean they used up more fuel? It isn't like food/water and people are eating it. And I know they are not at full speed, but wouldn't that mean they are using less fuel?

2 hours ago, kariyaki said:

Yes, doctors in the real world can break confidentiality if the patient has harmed or intends to harm someone. So this has tracked so far, with Cat breaking it to tell Felix that Ava could’ve killed the imposter guy. And Cat not breaking it for Lane’s secret about Trust in cryo.

The media video Lane was watching was interesting about how Trust is to go on Ark V because he’s supposed to hang around and perfect the light speed drives first. I’m guessing that was a big fat lie that there is no perfecting to be done and he was getting the hell off earth while he could.

Yes, I know doctors can break confidentially if the patient intends to harm someone. My point was, Eva didn't say anything to suggest she intended to harm anyone. She just said she hated the dead guy. I think if a doctor broke confidentiality off something as simple as that she could have a complaint against her.

Doctors actually aren't generally supposed to break confidentiality off of an admission of a past crime, unless they have reason to believe they are a danger for the future. That's why doctors can't be forced to testify at criminal trials.

• Like 1
On 3/8/2023 at 10:16 PM, Chaos Theory said:

I still say Trust is going to be the arch villian of season 2.

Bold prediction time: Trust planned this whole Ark project as a way to get him and his wife (and their collection of animal DNA) off world to start a “new Earth” for just themselves (and possibly his GSA insiders).  All the other ships were sabotaged with the mystery compound, which he designed to destroy their ships en route.  The Ark 1 “accident” should have taken out the entire crew (or at least the non-believers) upon their arrival at Proxima 2- but something went wrong, and it was triggered early, and misfired.  And now Mr. Genius is unwittingly stuck with this squad of space cadets to get him to his destination.

All in all, I think this was actually a decent episode for this series.  The solar sail crisis was kind of exciting - and at least the danger came from them taking a reasonable chance, rather than someone screwing something up (not that Brice didn’t try).  And, we’re finally getting some info on some of the weird secrets that everyone seems to have.  Although, whoever decided to name the Uber-Scot’s ailment “Klompkin’s Disease” needed to rethink that decision- it’s just a silly thing to hear in that accent.  But yeah- he and Eva are definitely being set up for some sort of romance subplot- I don’t necessarily think they have chemistry, but they are the two “hottest” characters (sorry Kat), so it kind of seems inevitable.

Otherwise, I agree with whoever wrote that it’s crazy to think that the only doctor on board has been running on Speed for over 3 months.  At least Brice is kind of training a backup- shouldn’t they have had someone else taking a crash course in nursing?  Thank goodness for Felix being a field medic.  Along those lines, how weird is it that the hyper intense security guard is arguably the most effective (non-enhanced) person on the ship?  I feel like he’s spent most of the season stalking around the ship like the T-1000, but he’s also the only real adult in the room most of the time as well.  Definitely my favorite character thus far.

• Like 2

Why am I watching this show? Proxima Centauri is the closest star to Earth, hense the name. Yet they can stop at a random star system for fuel on thier way to Proxima when they can't get the ship up to near light speed? 

Edited by marinw
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1
12 hours ago, marinw said:

Why am I watching this show? Proxima Centauri is the closest star to Earth, hense the name. Yet they can stop at a random star system for fuel and thier way to Proxima when they can't get the ship up to near light speed? 

They aren't trying to go to Proxima Centauri, are they? They are going to some made up planet that is super far away from Earth that they think can support life. 

17 hours ago, Nialla said:

99% sure they said the target is Proxima b, aka Proxima Centauri b. 

I didn't remember them saying that....if so, then I agree they are very dumb. Not only the passing of other planets, but Proxima Centauri is 4.2 light years away. If they were really travelling at light speed while they were all frozen, and that was five years, they probably should have made it by now.

• LOL 1
2 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

I didn't remember them saying that....if so, then I agree they are very dumb. Not only the passing of other planets, but Proxima Centauri is 4.2 light years away. If they were really travelling at light speed while they were all frozen, and that was five years, they probably should have made it by now.

I don't think they have faster than light speed travel. The engineer keeps talking about her engine and fuel needed to accelerate to near light speed 

2 minutes ago, Raja said:

I don't think they have faster than light speed travel. The engineer keeps talking about her engine and fuel needed to accelerate to near light speed 

I thought she's been saying getting BACK to near light speed. Meaning they were going that fast until the incident, but then somehow lost that and started going slower. But anything is possible with this show.

4 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

Lane: "Could we open the solar sails ?"
Garnet: "No, the sails are designed for after we enter the Proxima system. We need the solar winds from Alpha Centauri, the star."

• LOL 1
1 hour ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

Lane: "Could we open the solar sails ?"
Garnet: "No, the sails are designed for after we enter the Proxima system. We need the solar winds from Alpha Centauri, the star."

Thank you for the correction on this. The original post was right that the writers are just extremely dumb. 

I was giving them too much credit. Having them traveling to a made up/unnamed planet would have been a smarter thing to do.

• Like 1

(Please insert "during the last 3.2 months" throughout this post as needed. I'm tired of typing it in every sentence.)

What have they been eating so far and why are they only just now getting minuscule bits of produce when there was more than that grown between Day 1 and the water crisis (when everything probably died off)?

Doc is still strung out and sleepless after all this time? Considering the depletion from the pharmacy break-in and rave, how can she still have a bottle full?

Why haven't they been using the sails to boost themselves every time they passed a star system? I have to give up on understanding the physics of space flight here.

Doesn't the Ark already have a room much larger than that "2x2" room with genetic materials/seeds/embryos? (BTW, 1 male/1 female is not remotely adequate for genetic diversity) I mean, isn't that the whole point? Or were they supposed to be sent with the "follow-up" ships once the Arks establish a colony? Kinda stupid to not have redundant Genetic Arks

The radiation suit in the ship IS actually one to withstand solar radiation!

Anyone surprised that Lane weenied out when he was put in charge? Anyone?

Hey, no deaths! BSG Memorial Personnel Count: 126 (+2 closet coffins!)

On 3/11/2023 at 5:53 AM, marinw said:

Why am I watching this show? Proxima Centauri is the closest star to Earth, hense the name. Yet they can stop at a random star system for fuel on thier way to Proxima when they can't get the ship up to near light speed? 

This is literally what my dad said. We no longer take any of the science on this show seriously.