Type keyword(s) to search

S23.E01: The Blind Auditions, Premiere

• Start Topic

The competition is fierce as hip-hop star Chance the Rapper and singer-songwriter Niall Horan claim their red chairs alongside returning coaches Kelly Clarkson and Blake Shelton as they vie to discover and coach the next singing phenomenon.

Airs Monday, March 6 at 8:00pm on NBC

(edited)

Anyone annoyed by the stupid banter when they “fight” for a contestant to choose them? So much of it seems so forced and scripted. Once in a while, someone says something funny and I laugh, but most of the time I want the contestant to just pick a damn coach so we can move on with the show. 

Edited by Frisky Wig
  • Like 3
  • Useful 1

100%. I was glad there was College Basketball on last night so I could pretty much bail out after each auditioner finished up singing.

I guess there was some decent(ish) talent. Holly Brand definitely sounded like she came right off of late 90's/early 00's Country Radio. The last two auditioners, Savion from a few seasons back of AI, and the English transplant were both solid, but not mind-blowing. I was happy the girl from Colorado by way of Pakistan (and Thailand) got some chairs to turn around because she potentially had the "no" spot in a 2 hour episode. The last audition to go before the 1 hour mark. As someone who has spent time living and working in Thailand on a couple of occasions, I wondered if the "border issues" she referenced when she was face-timing w/ her parents meant they might not have been able to leave Thailand for the USA?

Why in the world would you not sing a Soca style song if you are good enough to have your own Soca songs on the radio across parts of the Caribbean?!?! Talk about self-sabotage of the highest level..

The Dad from Oklahoma, immediately felt like someone who is going to be around a while. Like all the way to the finale, a while..

• Like 3

For me, them continuously being like "Blake has been here 23 seasons!" doesn't create feelings of goodwill or excitement for the show. It just seems like he's long overstayed his welcome. He has such a "cool dad" energy that is so different than the "young scrappy newcomer" energy with two new coaches at the same time. It gave off a weird vibe and weird interactions on the coaching panel. Like @OLynn33 said, I was kind of hoping for something that would shake up the regular format this season and build some excitement but maybe they're saving it for once Blake is gone.

• Like 1

Has anyone heard that it’s Blake’s last season? They made a brief mention of it, blink and you miss it, so I wanted to let everyone know. 

🙄

Seriously though, I’m tired of them milking the crap out of this and mentioning it constantly. All of the damn commercials were bad enough. One episode in and I’m already sick of it. Not looking forward to Blake yelling some variation of “It’s my last season, y’all!” 20 times an episode. 

• Applause 2
  • LOL 3
3 hours ago, KittenPokerCheater said:

Is this the season of only country music and blues contestents?

Well, if you sing those genres and you haven't auditioned yet and you know the giant country judge is leaving after this season, then you'd better haul butt over there, cuz otherwise, what are you waiting for?!!

• Like 1

Blake said if he'd known that one girl had brought that old recording of him singing, he would have put her through. Why? Her voice wasn't good enough for you to choose when you had no idea about her. You know...the blind audition? Just because she flattered you doesn't mean she suddenly got a better voice. If you wanted to pick her with no back story, you would have.

• Like 2

Blake says the quiet part out loud. "If I had known your story I would have turned for you." Well, that's why you are judging singers based solely on their voice, and the show isn't called The Sob Story

I was happy the girl from Colorado by way of Pakistan (and Thailand) got some chairs to turn around because she potentially had the "no" spot in a 2 hour episode.

Was no one else side-eyeing the husband? Think about it; he married a sheltered, naive, teenage immigrant girl who is in the country all by herself. Red flag city.

• Like 1
19 hours ago, Vermicious Knid said:

Blake says the quiet part out loud. "If I had known your story I would have turned for you." Well, that's why you are judging singers based solely on their voice, and the show isn't called The Sob Story

Was no one else side-eyeing the husband? Think about it; he married a sheltered, naive, teenage immigrant girl who is in the country all by herself. Red flag city.

I thought that's how she got her Visa. 

The Chem does seem off Blake's last season should have been with the Gwen, Legend. 

I really didn’t like the trio Sorelle, except when they were harmonizing with Chance. I can’t decide whether they felt too olde timey or too juvenile. Something just seemed too off about them

Favorites:
Ross was pretty good and one of the few this episode who didn’t seem like they were sleepwalking their audition

Michael B - really nice vocals

Noivas - He unexpectedly took it up a few notches in being soulful

On 3/8/2023 at 6:55 PM, Artsda said:

I thought that's how she got her Visa. 

The Chem does seem off Blake's last season should have been with the Gwen, Legend. 

I do not like when Gwen and Blake are on together. It becomes the Gwen and Blake show.