Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E10: The Hook

• Start Topic

On 3/10/2023 at 10:31 AM, Paloma said:

When she dove off the boat, she presumably swam to the distant shore and whatever town was there (though looking at a map of Atlantic City, I can't figure out what that would be). The next time we see her, she is wearing normal clothes (no more sequined dress) and meeting the FBI guy in the diner. How much time went by between the swim and the diner, and where did she get the clothes?

South Jersey resident here. AC is on a barrier island and there's smaller towns on the same island. So, the issue was getting off the island, not getting out of AC. Also the bays separating the barrier islands from the mainland aren't that large. A good swimmer could easily make it. (I couldn't but someone whose father would take them out on a boat and make them swim to shore could).

The more unrealistic part was her sister's house. I've seen areas like that in towns on the mainland near AC, but everything on the island is fairly built up. However, maybe the party bus got her to the mainland and she was off the island by then.

Changing subjects, one thing I liked about this show is that it doesn't answer every question. Case in point, at some point Frost Sr changed his mind about Charlie. So, why did he not say anything to Cliff? My opinion is that he changed his mind about killing her, but was still mad at BOTH of them. So, he made Charlie run for her life for a year and made Cliff chase her and live in cheap motels for a year.

• Like 4
  • Useful 3
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Captain Carrot said:
On 3/10/2023 at 10:31 AM, Paloma said:

When she dove off the boat, she presumably swam to the distant shore and whatever town was there (though looking at a map of Atlantic City, I can't figure out what that would be). The next time we see her, she is wearing normal clothes (no more sequined dress) and meeting the FBI guy in the diner. How much time went by between the swim and the diner, and where did she get the clothes?

South Jersey resident here. AC is on a barrier island and there's smaller towns on the same island. So, the issue was getting off the island, not getting out of AC. Also the bays separating the barrier islands from the mainland aren't that large. A good swimmer could easily make it. (I couldn't but someone whose father would take them out on a boat and make them swim to shore could).

The more unrealistic part was her sister's house. I've seen areas like that in towns on the mainland near AC, but everything on the island is fairly built up. However, maybe the party bus got her to the mainland and she was off the island by then.

Thanks for clarifying. I actually grew up in NJ (I guess it would be called Central--about equidistant from NYC and Philadelphia), but the only time I visited AC was when my parents took me to the Steel Pier as a child. The only thing I remember was seeing the horse dive from the tower!

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 3
On 3/10/2023 at 6:40 PM, justmehere said:

Also - I got the impression that where the sister, Em (Emily), lives is where they grew up; their dad's boat is nearby, too.

I was thinking it was Charlie and Em's childhood home. Charlie knew exactly how to sneak in and Em went straight to the entrance when her daughter told her about the strange woman under the porch.

Didn't Frost, Sr. say something about knowing Charlie was from the area? I interpreted him having Cliff bring her to AC as part of the payment. Not only was he going to give her a ton of money for this one meeting but she can also stop running now and visit the family she hasn't seen in a year. But I might be reaching to explain the writers just want Charlie to interact with her sister and not bothering to put in much thought into making the reunion make sense.

• Like 3
On 3/11/2023 at 5:43 PM, tljgator said:

I feel fairly certain it HAS to matter. It's not only an uncommon word, but an uncommon turn of phrase in normal conversation. While I might expect her sister to say something like, "you ruin everything," I would not expect her to say she's "ruinous," much less for someone else to use the same word again. I noticed it on first viewing, and was glad to see others did as well when I came here to catch up.

This is the kind of show that routinely revisits small things that turn out to matter...I'm putting a pin in this one for next season.

Yeah, I totally agree with that. The writers on this show tend to not leave things like that to chance...

• Like 3
On 3/9/2023 at 7:22 PM, paigow said:

The downside of removing Cliff is no more Burn Notice clips...

Good call back to the pilot. 

On 3/10/2023 at 9:41 AM, akg said:

The volume jumped when the show changed though and I couldn't reach that remote without disturbing the cat so I didn't end up watching to see if there were any more similarities.

Must not disturb kitteh! 

The montage of Cliff just missing Charlie at the various places she ended up was fun. And of course he had ribs at Boyle’s BBQ. 

• Like 2
On 3/26/2023 at 9:28 AM, Toothbrush said:

The montage of Cliff just missing Charlie at the various places she ended up was fun. 

I'll be honest, I felt a bit sorry for Cliff there on the road for over a year, in lousy hotels - that changed when he framed Charlie

• Like 3

well, i was wrong about Cliff not being able to fully identify Morty as Charlie.  and apparently the police wanting Charlie to be a witness against Trey and she apparently didn't get the reward money either.  

i don't understand the huge box with the packing styrofoam to hide a small name plate.  why wouldn't Frost have gotten a much smaller jewelry box?  Or at least wondered why Cliff got such a huge box, or that Charlie was clearly pulling out a gun?  Frost should have hit the ground immediately seeing that.

I guess Cliff knew Charlie well enough that she would not shoot him, even when it meant she was likely going to die (at least that is what she was thinking).  I'm not so sure most people would have done the same.  

At least Charlie really has Luca on her side now, since she keeps helping him solve major cases.  

On 3/9/2023 at 1:14 PM, Snorfbat said:

Something love about this show: FBI AGENT LUCA IS TERRIBLE AT HIS JOB!

Agent Luca can't do a thing without Charlie, which means that Charlie absolutely can't count on him. That's why she can't ever take him up on a job offer or otherwise trust him to have her back. He's completely incapable of keeping her safe.

Howard Wolowitz!  I loved seeing Simon Helberg.

• Like 2