Type keyword(s) to search

S21.E02: Auditions, Part 2

• Start Topic

Hopefuls audition for the judges in New Orleans, Las Vegas, and Nashville.

Aired February 26, 2023.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caroline_Kole

Is this the same Caroline Kole that was Auditioner #1?  Because she seems to have quite a career already.  She also has 30000 followers on Instagram.  And I'm sorry but a lot of plastic surgery.

It was nice to see the judges so affected by Matt Wilson.  They just cut through the bullshit on that one.  For the most part.

The Aidan Adair (Sp?) audition was fun to watch.  At least we know that Katy doesn't just make female auditioners try out twice.

So funny to hear the name "Phil Stacey" I feel like I know the name so well.

Overall, another fun episode.  I really enjoy the judges' energy and I'm just glad that this set of judges has somehow gotten along throughout 6 seasons for us.  Hopefully still more to come.

Katy pulling out her hair was kind of horrifying.

Wow, just got to the end.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Like 2

So many bad singers this episode yet the judges let them through to Hollywood. Caroline Kole was not good. The young black girl that said she tried out (?) 15 times was not good. The young awkward guy that they encouraged to loosen up was not good. Yet they were all let through. Side-eye! And worst of all a platinum ticket was given to the girl with the military dad. I'm sorry but she annoyed me with her constant giggling and her story seemed so contrived to me. Her song matched her backstory and they kept using lyrics from the song to continue the storyline and bring on the dad who nobody, Absolutely Nobody, knew he had flown across the world to surprise his whole family. That whole segment seemed very producer-driven to me. 😒

• Like 5
3 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caroline_Kole

Is this the same Caroline Kole that was Auditioner #1?  Because she seems to have quite a career already.  She also has 30000 followers on Instagram.  And I'm sorry but a lot of plastic surgery.

Interesting.

These singers that already have a record label make me think that the label has some sort of agreement with American Idol to get their artists on mainstream media so that they can gain popularity. 

It was nice to see the judges so affected by Matt Wilson.  They just cut through the bullshit on that one.  For the most part.

Was that the last singer? He was pretty good.

Also good was the young man with the grandpa who came out as gay. I know it's none of my business but I have so many questions for grandpa....and grandma (RIP).

So funny to hear the name "Phil Stacey" I feel like I know the name so well.

That was a nice segment, a full-circle moment. Phil Stacey is looking good. 

Overall, another fun episode.  I really enjoy the judges' energy and I'm just glad that this set of judges has somehow gotten along throughout 6 seasons for us.  Hopefully still more to come.

I enjoy the judges too and I can respect Luke a little more for not being afraid to say No to the contestants that deserve it. The other two are easily swayed by the sad backstories.

• Like 5

It's hard to tell with Katy if she's being genuine or performative. She really wants to make a difference, donate to Everytown, organize a concert against gun violence, lobby elected officials for gun laws. I don't recall her being active about anything. Sadly, I had to look up which school massacre this was because there have been so many. 

Nutsa was kind of all over the place but there were notes that were pure and powerful, and they have totally put through others who were worse so I'm okay with it. If she can learn to modulate she could be amazing. I'd like to know who has the pull to get someone on an active military deployment a week's vacation. Platinum ticket was probably not worthy. 

• Like 7
8 hours ago, Blissfool said:

Interesting.

These singers that already have a record label make me think that the label has some sort of agreement with American Idol to get their artists on mainstream media so that they can gain popularity. 

If someone has a record deal, they would not be eligible to compete on Idol.

Katie needs to find a new adjective.  She says authentic so much that she doesn't even sound authentic.

Way too many mediocre singers went through on this episode.  The first round of Hollywood week has the potential to be a blood bath.  The platinum ticket girl took way too many liberties with the melody.  She had a nice voice, but I didn't care for her musical/stylistic choices at all.

• Like 3
10 hours ago, Blissfool said:

Was that the last singer? He was pretty good.

No, Matt Wilson was somewhere in the middle.  Only 21, with a wife named Melisa, and he worked at a daycare.

1 hour ago, twilightzone said:

If someone has a record deal, they would not be eligible to compete on Idol.

Career[edit]

Kole records under the Starstruck Records label and has a publishing contract with Sony/ATV.[1][2] Beginning in 2013, she was on a two-year international tour with Reba McEntire, opening shows for the performer.[2][3] She was also one of the singers featured on Reba McEntire's release "Pray for Peace".[4]

In 2013, Starstruck Records released a five-track EP of Kole's, including the single "Money to Me".[5][6] That release reached the number one spot on the Country Music Television (CMT) Pure Countdown.[3] The video from her second release, "If He'd Ever Look Up", was number one for several weeks on CMT Pure, and CMT also named her a "Listen Up" Artist.[3][7] Both songs have also been featured on SiriusXM satellite radio.[7][8]

Kole has an endorsement arrangement with Martin Guitars.[9] She was 12 years old when she was first promoted by the company at the National Association of Music Merchants (NAMM) convention.[10] At age 14, she began playing at the County Music Association (CMA) Festival.[11]

In addition to McEntire, Kole has performed on stage with Charlie Daniels, Pat Benatar, and Sheryl Crow. She has opened shows for artists such as Blake Shelton, Alan Jackson, Eric Church and Martina McBride.[12]

"Winter", a song Kole wrote about the dolphin featured in the Warner Brothers movies Dolphin Tale and Dolphin Tale 2, appears on the soundtrack of the documentary Winter, the Dolphin that Can.[13][14][15]

In May 2018, via Starstruck Records, Caroline Kole made her transition from country to pop with a self-titled EP release featuring the singles "Right Now", "Adamantine", and "Ghost". Kole has solidified her move to pop music with her latest July 2018 release of "What If".[16][17][18] Her latest song released in 2019 is a single titled "Freaking Out!" This was released shortly after the two singles; "Missing Each Other" and "Easy."

• Mind Blown 1
  • Useful 1

As I recall, the only 'platinum ticket' person from last year who went anywhere was Hunter Girl, so I'm not expecting the 2 we've seen this year to go far either. The giggly 15 year old wouldn't have seemed special if she'd been 18, imo. 

Katy's camera-hog antics were bearable last week, this week not so much.  I did laugh at Luke doing Billy Ray Cyrus, though.

I wouldn't have recognized Phil Stacey. My all-time favorite Idol nickname was from his year; somebody on the original Television without Pity dubbed him 'Philferatu' 😊

• Like 3
  • LOL 2
12 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

No, Matt Wilson was somewhere in the middle.  Only 21, with a wife named Melisa, and he worked at a daycare.

Career[edit]

Kole records under the Starstruck Records label and has a publishing contract with Sony/ATV.[1][2] Beginning in 2013, she was on a two-year international tour with Reba McEntire, opening shows for the performer.[2][3] She was also one of the singers featured on Reba McEntire's release "Pray for Peace".[4]

In 2013, Starstruck Records released a five-track EP of Kole's, including the single "Money to Me".[5][6] That release reached the number one spot on the Country Music Television (CMT) Pure Countdown.[3] The video from her second release, "If He'd Ever Look Up", was number one for several weeks on CMT Pure, and CMT also named her a "Listen Up" Artist.[3][7] Both songs have also been featured on SiriusXM satellite radio.[7][8]

Kole has an endorsement arrangement with Martin Guitars.[9] She was 12 years old when she was first promoted by the company at the National Association of Music Merchants (NAMM) convention.[10] At age 14, she began playing at the County Music Association (CMA) Festival.[11]

In addition to McEntire, Kole has performed on stage with Charlie Daniels, Pat Benatar, and Sheryl Crow. She has opened shows for artists such as Blake Shelton, Alan Jackson, Eric Church and Martina McBride.[12]

"Winter", a song Kole wrote about the dolphin featured in the Warner Brothers movies Dolphin Tale and Dolphin Tale 2, appears on the soundtrack of the documentary Winter, the Dolphin that Can.[13][14][15]

In May 2018, via Starstruck Records, Caroline Kole made her transition from country to pop with a self-titled EP release featuring the singles "Right Now", "Adamantine", and "Ghost". Kole has solidified her move to pop music with her latest July 2018 release of "What If".[16][17][18] Her latest song released in 2019 is a single titled "Freaking Out!" This was released shortly after the two singles; "Missing Each Other" and "Easy."

Someone with that kind of background and experience really should not be on Idol - regardless of whether she is famous or not.  I don't think she was even that great.

• Like 10

Two hours later, and all I really want to know is whether or not the girl who rocked out to Kids in America towards the end of the show & then let Luke and his new mullet go to town on Achy Breaky Heart got a golden ticket or not?

To me, the story of this episode is Matt Wilson. I think he has a current feel to the R&B/Urban Pop he was doing on that Gideon song, and I really believe if Hollywood Week doesn't break him..he could at least get to the live shows.

Honestly, I thought Phil Stacey's daughter was every bit as good as the Platinum Ticket winner.

John Wayne Hatfield needs to figure out a way to not sound like a dead copy of Luke Combs..

Aiden something rather sings w/ about 35% of a British/Scottish accent.

The girl who tried out a billion times was a pity ticket if there ever was one. If we see a second of her doing anything but being cut in the first round of Hollywood Week I will be stunned. The real country guy who dueted w/ Luke was better sounding on the duet than she'll ever be.

If the first auditioner is a ringer/plant, she's not a particularly convincing one

Like another poster upthread, I can't decide whether Katy was truly being her authentic self reacting to the last kid explaining that he had lived through a mass school shooting, or if that was super performative theatre..

The girl from Georgia (the country) who I'm sure is also some sort of an International ringer/plant can actually really sing when she doesn't want to be a Las Vegas Showgirl or Burlesque Show Star. But I will bet money right now that the Epicenter of drama happening during groups/partners in HW will 100% revolve around her.

• Like 6

I am happy to know I was not the only one that thought most, if not all, the singers this round were mediocre at best.

It has been several years since I have watched AI and remember some of the contestants got more coverage than others.  But going to their hometown or work, detailing their sad story and giving them a # seems unfair to the contestants that apparently did not make the producers favorites list.  There was a montage of contestants that made it through but no #s or names.  So those that the producers apparently liked, get a leg up before they even get to Hollywood.  Just seems like it is not an even playing field.

• Like 3

Finally getting a chance to catch up on this week's episode...

On 2/27/2023 at 2:26 AM, Vermicious Knid said:

It's hard to tell with Katy if she's being genuine or performative. She really wants to make a difference, donate to Everytown, organize a concert against gun violence, lobby elected officials for gun laws. I don't recall her being active about anything. Sadly, I had to look up which school massacre this was because there have been so many. 

Performative or not, I certainly don't disagree with the words she was saying in and of themselves. But that's a whole other rant unto itself :/. 

I did like the guy in general, though. He seemed cool -  I loved his response to the question about whether or not he'd caught customers getting intimate on the mattresses XD. That was hilarious. Oh, the conversations one will find themselves having sometimes working in retail...:p. 

On 2/27/2023 at 12:40 AM, Blissfool said:

Also good was the young man with the grandpa who came out as gay. I know it's none of my business but I have so many questions for grandpa....and grandma (RIP).

I liked that story, too :). Good for his grandfather being able to finally feel comfortable being who he is, and good on his grandson for being supportive. 

On 2/28/2023 at 11:03 PM, PhD-Purgatory15 said:

The girl who tried out a billion times was a pity ticket if there ever was one. If we see a second of her doing anything but being cut in the first round of Hollywood Week I will be stunned. 

Her continuously crying as she waited for an answer certainly didn't help matters, either. I think there's some potential there with her, and I liked that she took Katy's advice about enunciating the words, but yeah, her nerves were clearly getting the better of her big time. Not that I blame her, mind - lord knows I'd be the same way if I were in her shoes, and I do like the judges being sympathetic to and understanding of that feeling as well. 

But yeah, if she's hoping to get far in this competition, she's really going to need to figure out a way to get those nerves under control. 

I did get a kick out of both her name and that of her sister's, though, 'cause, hey, they share the same names as my sister and I do, respectively :D. 

I also liked the full circle moment with Phil Stacey's daughter. It made me feel old, mind, LOL, but I liked it :). Paula popping in to wish the girl luck was a nice touch, too. 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Annber03 said:

I also liked the full circle moment with Phil Stacey's daughter. It made me feel old, mind, LOL, but I liked it :). Paula popping in to wish the girl luck was a nice touch, too. 

...I'm sorry, Phil Stacey's daughter is old enough to audition for Idol? The same daughter Phil missed her birth because of his audition in season six? 

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

...I'm sorry, Phil Stacey's daughter is old enough to audition for Idol? The same daughter Phil missed her birth because of his audition in season six? 

Yep! The very same :D!