Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E13: We Didn't Start The Fire

DearEvette
  • Start Topic

When the 7-4 investigates a fatal fire at a salon, Killian and Morales turn to a medical examiner with ties to Regina's past and fire marshal Nicky Greenville for insight; Haywood announces a new policy; Quinlan worries about Bentley's nightmares.

Airdate: 02/26/2023

I'd love to know what Suarez did before he was a cop, as a 31-year career would make him relatively old when he became a cop. As even if we are to believe Suarez is much younger than Smits' actually 67 years, even making him 61 would still mean he became a cop at 30.

• Like 3
4 hours ago, Brian Cronin said:

As even if we are to believe Suarez is much younger than Smits' actually 67 years, even making him 61 would still mean he became a cop at 30.

Maybe he was a priest, like his brother! ;-)

Also thought this was an excellent episode. The show is really finding itself, showing both what the people in the community need & want AND how the sausage gets made.

• Like 4

I like this show.  It doesn't try to be overly indulged in the family lives, or too 'funny' but at the same time not too dark (like FBI), I think it strikes a nice balance.  And I like Regina as a strong, incredibly competant woman leader without falling into so many angst trap that you sees, wanting to be 'friends' with anyone or complaining about her biological clock, all that nonsense.  It's also smart writing and doesn't talk down to us.

• Like 9

An episode directed by Lou Diamond Phillips. 👏🏻

This would be a great episode if it’s not overshadowed by Chief Suarez’s political drama. It doesn’t take long for him to allow his political ambition clouding his judgement. Why would John want to work for a weak leader like Mayor Sharpe who’d rather stay neutral than taking stance on issues/policies?

John’s budding friendship with Allison could be a threat to his friendship with Regina. He starts to listen to Allison, he’s fond of her.

Regina dislikes office politics but she knows how to play the game. She gets Antoine Jordan to endorse the policy on air but this is only a short term solution that puts her under a microscope even more.

Re COTW, am glad it’s about trafficking and not Cheik Sy’s sexual orientation.

The show tries to make Andre’s PTSD story as believable as it can be. I like his scenes with Marvin while his interactions with Brandy continue to be cringey.

As much as I hate seeing that union dude, I want to see Officer Gabe Finley facing some repercussions.

Cannot wait to know more about Regina and her dad. Peel that layer already!

Edited by SnazzyDaisy
  • Like 4
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, SnazzyDaisy said:

An episode directed by Lou Diamond Phillips. 👏🏻

This would be a great episode if it’s not overshadowed by Chief Suarez’s political drama. It doesn’t take long for him to allow his political ambition clouding his judgement. Why would John want to work for a weak leader like Mayor Sharpe who’d rather stay neutral than taking stance on issues/policies?

John’s budding friendship with Allison could be a threat to his friendship with Regina. He starts to listen to Allison, he’s fond of her.

Regina dislikes office politics but she knows how to play the game. She gets Antoine Jordan to endorse the policy on air but this is only a short term solution that puts her under a microscope even more.

Re COTW, am glad it’s about trafficking and not Cheik Sy’s sexual orientation.

The show tries to make Andre’s PTSD story as believable as it can be. I like his scenes with Marvin while his interactions with Brandy continue to be cringey.

As much as I hate seeing that union dude, I want to see Officer Gabe Finley facing some repercussions.

Cannot wait to know more about Regina and her dad. Peel that layer already!

I apparently missed at least a couple of these soap-opera-ish plot points, but I can’t seem to make myself re-watch——probably because although I like most of the the too-numerous leads, the young actors playing Andre and Brandy just aren’t quite good enough (yet?) to warrant so much screen time.  
And Richard Kind’s character is gradually losing all of his comic relief on a show that really needs it.

If this show was on the crowded Tuesday-  or Thursday-night schedules, I’d have already quit.  
Same if not for 
Amanda Warren‘s portrayal of Deputy Inspector Regina Haywood.

But with Jimmy Smits‘ character of Chief Suarez seemingly selling out for the Greater Good/Lesser Evil——ugh. I don’t really want to stick it out to see if he makes some heroic decision or not. 

Maybe I’ll give it another week or 2.

3 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

But with Jimmy Smits‘ character of Chief Suarez seemingly selling out for the Greater Good/Lesser Evil——ugh. I don’t really want to stick it out to see if he makes some heroic decision or not. 

Maybe I’ll give it another week or 2.

I think that the Suarez storyline is dragging down the show. I understand that Smits is the most well-known actor in the cast and they are struggling to get renewed but I'm not thrilled with the added emphasis on his character. He was fine as Regina's staunch supporter but the political storyline bores me. 

• Like 5
  • Applause 1
On 2/28/2023 at 4:53 AM, shapeshifter said:

Richard Kind’s character is gradually losing all of his comic relief on a show that really needs it.

I can see this, but it's also essential. He's showing he was the right guy for Regina to pick as her chief of staff (so to speak), and he earned those captain's bars by knowing how to do his job.

• Like 4
On 2/28/2023 at 7:58 AM, LisaM said:

I think that the Suarez storyline is dragging down the show

I find it a little unrealistic, too, how much time he had to go to her precinct and just hang out, or show up at random crime scenes.  You'd think at his level he'd have more of a desk job.  I like the actor, I just feel like they are trying to shoe-horn him in a lot.  And agree that the two 'love birds' don't have the acting chops yet to fill the roles.

• Like 1