Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E01: Part One - The Next Generation

• Start Topic

Uber-shiatty Akiva Goldsman actually thinks Picard was a rogue and a renegade?  

Or is this just more of Patrick's ego?

Also, how old is Beverly's kid supposed to be?  The numbers don't add up, since he looks like he's in his mid 30s.

Edited by SnarkShark
On 2/17/2023 at 11:52 PM, Artsda said:

Riker sounds like he's being a jerk at home? Deanna and their kid happy he's gone.

I didn't get that impression. I thought it was more about Deanna wanting him to stay home with her and their daughter instead of running around the galaxy taking unnecessary risks. Of course, she understands why he wants to go with Picard, but she and Kestra have already have a big loss (death of Will and Deanna's son) and are afraid of also losing husband/dad.

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, Paloma said:

I didn't get that impression. I thought it was more about Deanna wanting him to stay home with her and their daughter instead of running around the galaxy taking unnecessary risks. Of course, she understands why he wants to go with Picard, but she and Kestra have already have a big loss (death of Will and Deanna's son) and are afraid of also losing husband/dad.

Why didn’t they download his mind into a robot a la Jean-Luc?

(I just found out about that when I was trying to figure out what they meant by Picard’s “synthetic skin”).

• Like 1

My husband and I must be the only senior citizens watching this show, because the best/funniest line for us was when Riker said to Picard "Terrific. Your hands are stiff. My knees are killing me. So long as we don't have to move or shoot, we should be fine." But aside from relating to the difficulties of getting older, we loved almost everything about this episode aside from Raffi's being undercover in the typical sci-fi seamy pleasure district. Not sure what to think about Crusher's son (I can't remember if he actually said he was her son or we just assumed this), but willing to give this character and plot point a chance.

Seasons 1 and 2, which we watched for the first time just recently, were mostly a fail for us. Hopefully this season will be better, but I have a feeling it will mostly appeal to nostalgic older folks like us.

• Like 3

This episode was mostly a big “hell yeah” from me. I grew up watching TNG on Sunday mornings, and this episode tapped into all the nostalgia. The font! The theme song! STARSHIPS FINALLY. Riker! Crusher! For now, it’s more or less the show I expected to get for seasons 1 and 2. Although I have doubts about the whole season (fool me once…), and although I doubt there’s any intention to tie this season into the S1-2 cannon fodder characters or Big Bads (what’s up with the galaxy-killing transwarphole thing?), I was pretty happy with this episode.

I also grew up watching Voyager, and… welp, sorry, Shaw, but Seven’s gonna Seven 😅. All in all, I don’t buy that Starfleet wouldn’t even let Seven into the Academy after Voyager, and I don’t know if I now buy that she kinda-sorta Kelvin-Kirked her way to a command position, but I’m really hoping that (1) there’s more exploration of Seven giving up her hard-won identity and autonomy to be part of Starfleet; and (2) this is going to lead to a Captain Seven show. Also, I don’t know why, but I’m thrilled that she’s becoming part of the TNG gang.

Cautiously optimistic.

• Like 2

My first thought: Oh no, not the family vineyard again.

Second thought: Who would be using a 20+ year old communicator? Someone from 20+ years ago.

Third thought: Why “no Star Fleet?” Guessing a mole or traitor.

Picard has to be smarter than this.

And I am only 13 minutes in. 

• Like 1
On 2/25/2023 at 1:47 PM, Paloma said:

My husband and I must be the only senior citizens watching this show, because the best/funniest line for us was when Riker said to Picard "Terrific. Your hands are stiff. My knees are killing me. So long as we don't have to move or shoot, we should be fine."

Nope. I'm a senior, too, and Riker settling into the upper bunk "as I long I don't have to get up and pee..."  cracked me up.

• Like 1
  • LOL 2
On 2/18/2023 at 9:35 AM, Cattoy said:

Speaking of which, Raffi can die any time now. Hate the character, hate her story and want her off screen as much as possible.

IMO, she should have gotten a pink slip like Jurati, Rios and Elron.  

Hope Harry Styles is not Picard's son.   Also hope we don't get any Pat Benatar covers this season (although if they do go there, put me down for Seven of Nine singing "Invincible.")

The CGI looked pretty good.  The Titan is mighty sleek. 

Please don't draw out the next three or four episodes by introducing one NextGen character at a time, i.e. -- Episode 2 = Troi, Episode III = LaForge, Episode IV = Worf, and so on.   Get the whole band back together ASAP and let them start playing.

I loved it when Riker says, "Nice recovery, Admiral," and Picard tells him to shut it.

There's a bittersweetness that goes with this season of course, regardless of how good or bad it turns out, and that's the knowledge that we're nearly at the end of our time with Picard.   I curse the writers and producers responsible for Seasons 1 and 2.  What a wasted opportunity.

Edited by millennium
  • Like 2
On 2/18/2023 at 12:33 PM, paigow said:

Memory Alpha:

In the years that followed, Crusher rejoined with the Travelers, and at one point, during a visitation with the past, Wesley had made a joke that had inadvertently changed a century's worth of history. Following that incident, he endeavored to never be misunderstood again. Wesley and the other Travelers were also responsible for dispatching the various supervisors responsible for ensuring the proper flow of time.

Following the success of the Europa Mission and the foiling of Adam Soong's plot to create the Confederation of Earth timeline, Wesley approached Kore Soong and offered her a choice: she could continue to lead an ordinary life, or she could take a different path that would lead to "everything else", though Wesley could not guarantee Kore's safety. Conceding that she had never been safe, Kore accepted Wesley's offer and they were teleported away.

In which series did these events happen? I have only watched ST, STNG, and Picard -- none of the above makes sense to me. Kore accepted Wesley's offer to take the different path?

I have hope that this season will settle down and be satisfying, but so far I'm really annoyed that this Jack who looks over 30 may supposedly be Picard's 20-year-old secret son. Please don't go in that direction, Show. It's so lame and uncreative, and actually, expected from these writers.

Edited by RedHawk
Added content
56 minutes ago, RedHawk said:

Kore accepted Wesley's offer to take the different path?

This happened in Picard S2 Finale

Everything else did not happen on-screen... The most recent canon evidence of Wesley returning [off-screen] to the Prime!Timeline is ST: Nemesis as a wedding guest...

• Like 1
21 hours ago, paigow said:

This happened in Picard S2 Finale

Everything else did not happen on-screen... The most recent canon evidence of Wesley returning [off-screen] to the Prime!Timeline is ST: Nemesis as a wedding guest...

Now I'm recalling this, thank you. Probably should watch the S2 finale again but doubt I could sit through the entire season again. I thought it was ok but not memorable.