Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E11: Side Effects May Include Murder

• Start Topic

119345_1177b.jpg

When Margaret’s client faces an attempted murder charge, she mounts a creative defense to prove her client’s innocence, and Todd takes an experimental drug to find evidence. Also, Allison finds herself in trouble and reaches out to Todd for help.

Premiere Date: January 12, 2023        9pm    CBS

Clayton James (Chuck Grant)
Rob LaBelle (D.A Lars Boatman)
Tasha Simms (Judge Sauceda)
Dean Marshall (Lionel Turner)
so-help-me-todd-episode-11b.jpg
Kalyne Coleman (Imani Turner)
119345_0658b.jpg
Joe Macleod (Orlando Holmes)
Karin Dubois (Annie)
Miguel Castillo (Horatio)
Stacee Copeland (Josephine)
Derek Lowe (Dr. Featherstone)
Gardiner Millar (Judge Lauderhouse)
Anjul Nigam (Norman Smith)
Andrii Zhebrovskyi (Security Guard)
Christine Lippa (Researcher)
Kevin Hansen (Man #1 in Trials)
Greer Whillans (Woman #1 in Trials)
Brandy Le (Clyde)
David Beairsto (Gavin)
Amanda Khan (Doctor Kang)
Jayr Tinaco (Casey)
Elan Ross Gibson (Netty)
Steeven K. (Jury Foreperson)

Next New Episode: February 2, 2023

Edited by AnimeMania
4 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

Am I supposed to like Allison?

Well, Allison is a selfless ER doc (I think). But, yeah, she's such a sad sack.
Madeline Wise (Allison) has a great face for comedy. The writers just need to make her scenes funnier. She could be a funny sad sack.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 4

This really is a cute little show. I know that sounds trite, but I always enjoy it. It relies largely on the appeal of Marcia Gay Harden and Skylar Astin but the crime stories are fun and clever and the show has just the right mix of comedy and mystery. 

I agree Allison is the weak spot here and they don't really seem to know what to do with her. She's not adding anything interesting to the show. She probably would be better off as a recurring character when they need a medical professional. Like the older brother we've only seen once.

Since the stabbing incident was recorded on someone's phone and there were so many people around it seems improbable nobody noticed how weird Imani was looking and acting before she did that. Clearly there was something wrong with her.

• Like 12

I don’t mind Allison.  She’s there to balance out the manic energy of Todd and their mom, which I appreciate.  She’s also another way of illustrating Margret’s neglectful parenting.  Yes, Allison was the perfect child growing up, but as has been her theme all season (and really hammered home in this episode) she’s not living her own life, she’s living the life her mom picked out for her.  Margret never had to “worry” about her daughter because she always did the “right thing,”. But, being so wrapped up in herself, she couldn’t see how miserable Alison was (and still is).

• Like 19
On 1/13/2023 at 11:42 AM, Silver-hyren said:

I don’t mind Allison.  She’s there to balance out the manic energy of Todd and their mom, which I appreciate.  She’s also another way of illustrating Margret’s neglectful parenting.  Yes, Allison was the perfect child growing up, but as has been her theme all season (and really hammered home in this episode) she’s not living her own life, she’s living the life her mom picked out for her.  Margret never had to “worry” about her daughter because she always did the “right thing,”. But, being so wrapped up in herself, she couldn’t see how miserable Alison was (and still is).

Lyle is considered the straight man on this type of show. Allison is like that annoying Eeyore. I hated him.  I need her to make some decisions before the season is over.  I think this is the most I laughed doing an episode. 

I’d like Alison’s husband, Chuck, to be more visible.  Rooting for their marriage is impossible considering the audience doesn’t know much about him or them.  Of course, that is probably what the writers were going for considering Alison’s state of flux.  

I like this show.  Marcia Gay Harden and Sean Astin are great.

• Like 5
18 hours ago, chitowngirl said:

I wish Allison would speak up about what her dreams were/are. All we know is that she’s living her mother’s plan.

I think that’s the point, though.  Alison doesn’t actually know what she wants because she’s been buried under her mother’s goals for so long.  Before they went in to the hearing, she broke down and begged Margaret to tell her what to say because she doesn’t know enough about herself to make an argument to the judge.

• Like 4
  • Fire 2
On 1/12/2023 at 11:06 PM, AnimeMania said:

The water falls onto the laptop, shorting it out, yet the large monitor mirroring the image still had the email program displayed.

Perhaps it still had it cached or the screen froze

I can't believe it even got past the first five minutes - even idiot cops should notice that Imani was significantly altered, blacked out, had no reason to attack someone in the middle of a room FULL of people who knew her, and that someone should have recorded it.

Why Margaret and Todd were the first ones to figure it out and treated it like it was a huge discovery, I don't know. Imani should have been taken to the ER hours ago.