Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E11: Call Me Prescription Roulette

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, Door County Cherry said:

Sheila grows jealous after Kat hits it off with her new retirement home friends. 

Imagine that 

Edited by nelroy78

I'm the type of person that grandparents like. It's an absolute death knell when it comes to your romantic life if a young man finds that out before you're in your 30s at least. No boy wants to date someone their parents like, it's even worse if the grandparents like you.

I haven't commented on the Sheila/Kat dynamic before because I've always suspected they're trying to do the kind of nonchalant arguing and teasing that is actually fairly typical in Jewish families (I always defended Howard's relationship with his mother on TBBT because I swear to you it was the exact same relationship my father had with his own mother, and there is no way you will convince me they were anything but devoted to each other.) That being said, this is not normal. Sheila is just cruel and they missed an opportunity for Kat to point out that maybe she was looking for attention from Sheila's friends because Sheila is such an utter bitch to her. The dynamic the show is trying to go for doesn't work because the level of vitriol has to be equal for it to be believable that Kat wouldn't just cut her toxic mother out of her life. Kat does serve Sheila back with the occasional insult, but she isn't anywhere near the level of hate Sheila seems to have towards her. I hope this storyline with Sheila being among other older adults makes her ashamed of how she treats her daughter.

Engagement ring: when did it become accepted that you would wear an engagement ring all your life? I feel like when I was a kid most married women just wore their wedding bands. I wouldn't feel comfortable wearing any kind of precious gem daily - not only because of the risk of being robbed, but also wouldn't it snag on things? If I were Randi I'd just suck it up and then say it was too precious to wear everywhere after the wedding.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1

I wear my engagement ring and wedding ring every day; why should it sit in a box? Kat should let her mother settle in to her new place and new friends. Am I supposed to believe Kat really wants to hang out with her mom’s friends instead of Max or people her own age? 

• Like 5

I actually got a few laughs out of this episode.  Especially after the sad farewell to Leslie via Phil and Jalen's happy ending in Tahiti and then the tribute to Leslie complete with his directors chair in the previous episode.

Nothing about Max's newfound alcoholism that I remember.

Carter and Randi were funny this episode and I enjoyed the retirement home residents.

Trying not to overthink Kat and Sheila's exchanges helps.

• Like 2
On 1/12/2023 at 9:43 PM, PinkRibbons said:

Engagement ring: when did it become accepted that you would wear an engagement ring all your life? I feel like when I was a kid most married women just wore their wedding bands. I wouldn't feel comfortable wearing any kind of precious gem daily - not only because of the risk of being robbed, but also wouldn't it snag on things? If I were Randi I'd just suck it up and then say it was too precious to wear everywhere after the wedding.

It’s pretty much been accepted that one wears their engagement ring with their wedding ring.

Why in the world do you think women don’t wear engagement rings with their wedding rings?

Do you know what a bridal set is?

No, it doesn’t snag on things.

• Like 5

At the risk of starting a personal experience post-a-thon, I agree that the trend for the past several decades has been engagement ring and wedding ring combination worn together, often designed as a matching set called a bridal set.  That's what I had.  Some women have the two rings welded together, I have learned.

Anyway, I found Randi's ranting about the skeletons engagement ring for Carter to be LOL funny, and I have been critical of the character in the past.  The description of Randi's engagement ring as described by Max was funny too.  Usually I would be irritated at the fiancee doesn't like her engagement ring storyline, but Randi pulled it off.

• Love 1
On 1/12/2023 at 10:43 PM, PinkRibbons said:

I haven't commented on the Sheila/Kat dynamic before because I've always suspected they're trying to do the kind of nonchalant arguing and teasing that is actually fairly typical in Jewish families (I always defended Howard's relationship with his mother on TBBT because I swear to you it was the exact same relationship my father had with his own mother, and there is no way you will convince me they were anything but devoted to each other.) That being said, this is not normal. Sheila is just cruel and they missed an opportunity for Kat to point out that maybe she was looking for attention from Sheila's friends because Sheila is such an utter bitch to her. The dynamic the show is trying to go for doesn't work because the level of vitriol has to be equal for it to be believable that Kat wouldn't just cut her toxic mother out of her life. Kat does serve Sheila back with the occasional insult, but she isn't anywhere near the level of hate Sheila seems to have towards her. I hope this storyline with Sheila being among other older adults makes her ashamed of how she treats her daughter.

I agree, it's also unbelievable that Kat wouldn't be chronically depressed and psychologically damaged if her mother was like that to her growing up.  But no, they portray Kat as this happy-go-lucky, confident woman in spite of this insane level of verbal abuse.   It just would never be that way in reality.  My best friend since high school had a Jewish mother who was every bit as bad as Sheila and what it's done to her is nothing short of horrible.  She is locked into a pattern of believing the insults and lies her mother told her about her and despite all attempts to seek help she seems determined to sabotage herself to confirm her mother's negative image of her.  No amount of therapy or medication has been able to help her get over this.  Her mother has been dead 25 years but she still lives rent free inside my friend's head, who is now 64.  I worry about her every day even to this day.  The fact that this show would attempt to make comedy out of such a toxic mother rubs me the wrong way to say the least.  There are funny dysfunctional relationships, like Howard's on TBBT, but this one goes way over the line.

• Like 6
  • Sad 1
On 1/13/2023 at 10:06 PM, CrystalBlue said:

Nothing about Max's newfound alcoholism that I remember

Why would they bother to address that when they could make a dozen jokes about Sheila’s rampant alcoholism and pill addiction?  I grow tired of saying this, but it is legitimately insane that one is treated it as Serious Very Special Episode-Level Problem and the other is viewed as a constant source of entertainment .  

• Like 3
  • Applause 2
  • Love 1
On 1/12/2023 at 11:09 PM, Madding crowd said:

Am I supposed to believe Kat really wants to hang out with her mom’s friends instead of Max or people her own age? 

Maybe they can re-set the show in the Nursing Home. It worked for B-Positive! 

Oh, nevermind....

• Like 2
  • Wink 1
  • LOL 5

I find it really hard to feel bad for Sheila when she has spent her entire life belittling Kat at every opportunity. Oh boohoo, Sheila's friends like Kat too, was she hoping that they would all pile on Kat and join in on her constant emotional abuse? Their relationship has always been toxic, but talking about how Sheila treated Kat as a kid makes me extra uncomfortable. Grown up Kat can at least snark back, but poor baby Kat. Some of her zingers are funny, but a lot of what Sheila says is just mean, so I don't really feel bad for her feeling left out when one of Sheila's favorite "jokes" is about how no one could ever like Kat.

Randi and Carter were fun, Randi's constant ranting about her ugly engagement ring was hilarious. This is why so many people go to ring shops with friends or family of the person they're going to purpose to, so they don't end up accidently getting them a ring they wont like and be stuck wearing it forever. 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I'm one of those that wear both my engagement and wedding rings.  They are welded together.  My wedding ring is a wrap around my engagement ring.

I thought this episode was pretty good.  Randi/Carter's story was funny.

Yes, Sheila is toxic to Kat but that story line was also interesting.  It shows that while the other older people like Kat, they did find it weird to hang out with just her and not Sheila.

• Like 4