Type keyword(s) to search

Beauty and The Beast: A 30th Celebration - General Discussion

• Start Topic

While some of the casting is dubious at best (Shania Twain as Mrs. Potts???), the commercials have got me cautiously optimistic. They seem to be at least going all out on the costumes.

Although I’m still bitter that Disney+ has yet to release the taped performance of Aladdin Live From the West End—yes, I’ve already seen it in person, but I don’t care I still want it, dammit—but I digress.

They just better dedicate it to Angela Lansbury.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • Love 2

This is already so much better than the Little Mermaid one. The opening and “Belle” was spectacular. And I love the costumes.

Joshua Henry definitely understood the assignment. He is SERVING as Gaston.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Like 3
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Spartan Girl said:

Joshua Henry definitely understood the assignment. He is SERVING as Gaston.

Joshua Henry was perfect as Gaston.

I thought everyone did well even though I still think. Shania Twain was miscast, she wasn't bad she just missing something.

I like the tribute to Alan Menken and Howard Ashman. The Howard Ashman documentary on Disney+ is really good and goes into more detail of making Beauty and the Beast and how he saw a early screening before he passed.

• Like 3
  • Love 3
12 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

They should have let Josh Groban sing “Evermore” AND “If I Can’t Love Her” but whatever.

Yes, yes, yes! I was SOOOOOOOO disappointed that they didn't. They didn't need that new song that wasn't even pretty. What a missed opportunity.

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, Retired at last said:

Yes, yes, yes! I was SOOOOOOOO disappointed that they didn't. They didn't need that new song that wasn't even pretty. What a missed opportunity.

I actually like the song, but my point is if you’re going to have Josh fucking Groban sing the Beast, give him more than one solo. 

Apparently he did sing “If I Can’t Love Her” years back:

Moving on, H.E.R. shredded on that guitar solo. And the gold dress was lovely.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

I thought the performances were good but I also felt too much was going on with the showcasing the original drawings, then the movie and then going into "live".   Plus, I didn't love the guitar stuff even though H.E.R. is clearly talented there.  I do wish there was a bit more live action Belle and the Beast.

I was especially impressed with the staging of larger group numbers.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

I agree that the cast was really good with the exception of Shania.  There are so many singers and actresses that would have been better.  She just doesn’t have the right voice and didn’t match the part well.  I enjoyed the special and loved that Josh Groban was in it.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

I'm watching this now and I am in love with H.E.R. I've never heard her music before but that is going to be rectified this evening.  Shania was a mistake but GASTON, Y'all. Gaston can get it. Shoot. But as much as I LOVE Josh Groban (and I really freaking do) I'm not loving him as the Beast. He seems stuff when he's trying to act. I don't know. But again, Gaston. Yes, more, please. So hot. 

Eta: I think the problem for me with Shania Twain singing Beauty and the Beast is that in the movie this is so clearly a MOMENT. We've been building to this performance all movie long. When Shania sings it---it doesn't feel like a moment. It's a gorgeous woman singing a lovely song but it's not something you're building to 

I should have held my comments to the end because when Josh Groban came out, out of the Beast costume? Shoosh. Love. Him. 

Edited by hiisa
  • Like 5
On 12/15/2022 at 10:19 AM, peachmangosteen said:

There was?

On 12/15/2022 at 9:36 PM, Spartan Girl said:

The tribute to Angela made up for Shania’s so-so “Beauty and the Beast.” 😭😭😭😭😭

They should have let Josh Groban sing “Evermore” AND “If I Can’t Love Her” but whatever.

What tribute? Just showing a picture of Angela after Shania sang the title song? PFFT. I would have much preferred hearing Angela's version of the song.

I guess David Alan Grier didn't even try to affect an English accent? Same with Shania. Martin triiiied, but failed. But he tried.

I LOVE/ADORE/LOVELOVELOVELOVELOVELOVE Josh Groban. I wanted to see more of him and hear him sing some more.

I enjoyed seeing (😪*sniff*sniff*😪) Jerry Orbach and David Ogden Stiers, and even Angela in the studio.

And yep, that ending, from the original movie, as Beast is dying, Belle is crying and confesses her love...I am FUGLY CRYING Y'ALL😭😭😭 Or should that be YE ALL!

And no Robby Benson? I swear, I think it's only in the 25th Anniversary Blu Ray that we even get to hear from him since the movie's initial release. I remember an interview on ET where he said he got the idea for voicing the Beast when he woke up one morning and his voice was all raspy and growly.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

What tribute? Just showing a picture of Angela after Shania sang the title song? PFFT. I would have much preferred hearing Angela's version of the song.

That would have been better, yeah. At least they played her “off to the cupboard” bit.

Shania’s dress WAS pretty.

Martin Short was the one that seemed to be having the most fun.

• Like 3
On 12/20/2022 at 2:22 PM, Spartan Girl said:

Martin Short was the one that seemed to be having the most fun.

Overall, I didn't enjoy this, but Martin Short was one of the if not the best part of this particular special.

• Like 2

Loved the costumes and the staging; all the performances were great - save Shania who wasn't quite right for the part. To nitpick, some of the dance interludes didn't quite work for me, and I wasn't in love with the look for Rizwan Manji as LeFou. I did like the bits of the making of the film; although they could probably do a whole special just with that itself (if Disney hasn't already).

• Like 1

I’m about 40 minutes in and I’m overall impressed. I’m especially impressed with H.E.R.. I only know her as a musician but barely, but her acting is quite good and she’s pretty charming

• Like 2