Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E03: Quiz Show

• Start Topic

Alice leverages her 100th episode as an opportunity to find “The One” with help from a special appearance from guest host Margaret Cho. Dani cares for Gigi until old wounds drive them apart. Meanwhile, Shane competes for Tess’s attention. Finley and Carrie make big moves, while Angie discovers a troubling revelation about her new flame.

Original Streaming Date: December 2, 2022     Showtime OnDemand
Original Air Date: December 4, 2022    Showtime    8pm
LWGQ_303_4532_R.jpg
LWGQ_303_6251_R.jpg

Damnit, Shane!

It's always so strange to me that queer women on TV never have a type. Any woman is fair game for any other woman. Femme/femme, butch/femme, butch/butch, it's all the same on TV. Honestly it's not to say people always do stick to a type but usually when they stray from their patterns it's at least processed or noticed in some way. I don't know why it bothers me, maybe it kind of makes tv lesbians all seem interchangeable. It's nice to see this iteration of the series feature more androgynous or masc-of-center folks than the original, but it doesn't seem to have changed anything on that front

• Love 2
1 hour ago, gesundheit said:

Damnit, Shane!

It's always so strange to me that queer women on TV never have a type. Any woman is fair game for any other woman. Femme/femme, butch/femme, butch/butch, it's all the same on TV. Honestly it's not to say people always do stick to a type but usually when they stray from their patterns it's at least processed or noticed in some way. I don't know why it bothers me, maybe it kind of makes tv lesbians all seem interchangeable. It's nice to see this iteration of the series feature more androgynous or masc-of-center folks than the original, but it doesn't seem to have changed anything on that front

Agreed.
It also bothers me that they assume all LGBTQ+ people to jump in the sack with anyone regardless if they have a solid relationship or not. Same as in QAF same as in the L word. I am not LGBTQ+ but as a person who is in a committed relationship,  I wouldn't start banging a cute guy i met in the broom closet. 

Also, WTF Gigi??? Dani is totally in love with you and just because you saw Nat and the kids flash before your eyes you drop her to explore life with Nat.

Angie kissing her Prof is such a wash/rinse/repeat storyline. I hope it doesn't go anywhere.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, greekmom said:

It also bothers me that they assume all LGBTQ+ people to jump in the sack with anyone regardless if they have a solid relationship or not. Same as in QAF same as in the L word. I am not LGBTQ+ but as a person who is in a committed relationship,  I wouldn't start banging a cute guy i met in the broom closet. 

I don't have a problem in general with cheating storylines on a soap (it's the bread and butter), but they so rarely seem able to come up with other story-driving conflicts so it does get tedious. Shane's still "got it" and all (as evidenced by the corny but weirdly sexy demolition montage), but who has that kind of energy after 40 in the middle of the day at your friend's job? And why is Gigi so concerned about what it "means" that she saw Nat and the kids when she got into the car crash? Her children and their mother (who she's known and loved since she was a teenager, apparently)? That's a pretty normal thing to flash before your eyes before the girlfriend of just over one year! But of course it has to mean a cheatin' heart.

9 minutes ago, DevilsDetails said:

Don't know if it's accurate, but I heard that KM specifically asked that her character wouldn't be Shane 2.0 twenty years later.

No idea at this point what the showruners are thinking.

And it really took so little. I saw it happening in the previews and gave the benefit of the doubt that maybe it was a fantasy sequence or something. Instead, same old same old. And even if she learns a big lesson here and straightens out, well... we've already seen that cycle.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, gesundheit said:

I don't have a problem in general with cheating storylines on a soap (it's the bread and butter), but they so rarely seem able to come up with other story-driving conflicts so it does get tedious. Shane's still "got it" and all (as evidenced by the corny but weirdly sexy demolition montage), but who has that kind of energy after 40 in the middle of the day at your friend's job? And why is Gigi so concerned about what it "means" that she saw Nat and the kids when she got into the car crash? Her children and their mother (who she's known and loved since she was a teenager, apparently)? That's a pretty normal thing to flash before your eyes before the girlfriend of just over one year! But of course it has to mean a cheatin' heart.

1 hour ago, DevilsDetails said:

Yes, it's like a lot of the people on the show on one hand can't stay faithful to anybody, but otoh they keep going back to their ex.  And they keep making it like the problem is they need the universe to tell them how they feel about the person instead of just dealing with the conflict of craving the new while wanting to be known. The people on Mad Men took far less time to figure this out!

Kind of amazing how well Gigi's doing after what looked like a fatal car crash there. She got hit head on by another car and five days later she's totally fine.

Oh, and it looks like yes, Tess and Shane are indeed opening another bar around the corner from their first bar.

• Love 1
11 minutes ago, sistermagpie said:

Oh, and it looks like yes, Tess and Shane are indeed opening another bar around the corner from their first bar.

Just like any good recovering alcoholic who just relapsed 2 years ago at her bar job would do! Very normal stuff!

• Like 2
10 hours ago, sistermagpie said:

Yeah I dont get that either.  Doesn't make business sense to open another bar close to your original bar  would a coffee house or juice bar make more sense?  They can call it Tibette. Lol

• LOL 1
12 hours ago, sistermagpie said:

Kind of amazing how well Gigi's doing after what looked like a fatal car crash there. She got hit head on by another car and five days later she's totally fine.

The crash looked nasty but it was a side hit, not head on which may be why she was less injured.

Are we to assume that Bette (Jennifer Beals) is not going to be on the show much and that's why she shipped off to Toronto to be with Tina? Maybe I missed that in the pre-season discussion.

The crash looked nasty but it was a side hit, not head on which may be why she was less injured.

A lot of times those are worse, though, because there is less metal between the driver that gets hit and the car that hits you. 

Don't know if it's accurate, but I heard that KM specifically asked that her character wouldn't be Shane 2.0 twenty years later.

The Shane Cheats - Again storyline is disappointing. It undoes all her character development. I did notice in the credits that the actress now goes by Kate. When did that change?

1 hour ago, Dminches said:

Are we to assume that Bette (Jennifer Beals) is not going to be on the show much and that's why she shipped off to Toronto to be with Tina? Maybe I missed that in the pre-season discussion.

Sorry, I used the term "head on" completely wrong. I just meant that we saw a car coming straight at Gigi herself. From the side, yes, but that car was running right into her. I was surprised she even survived a hit like that, much less was just fine.

49 minutes ago, Elizzikra said:

A lot of times those are worse, though, because there is less metal between the driver that gets hit and the car that hits you. 

Yes! That's just what it looked like. A car coming straight at her, a single car door, and Gigi.  And somehow her biggest wound is her obsessing over exactly what she was thinking and what it means. She's lucky she's capable of conscious thought!

Gigi honey, your life supposedly flashes before your eyes when you have a near death experience. You dear, had a head laceration and some bruised ribs. 

I kind of get where Dani is coming from because I was SUCH a green-eyed monster in my 20s, BUT Dani should have factored in that Gigi has children with Nat. They are always going to be in each other's lives. I would have been pissed if I saw them canoodling at Alice's show like that but Dani should have thought about that and discussed it with Gigi before she started a relationship with her. But that would require people to have mature conversations on this show and we can't have that! 

What's the over/under on how long it will be before Dani and Sophie fall back into bed together? 

I have no idea what the point of the Finley/Carrie scenes were. I don't care if Carrie finds new love or if Finley goes to college. 

I hope Alice can have at least some

semblance of a normal relationship with Chasing Amy. At this point kooky Alice and the TEENAGER are the only people displaying even a hint of maturity. 

I have no idea what the point of the Finley/Carrie scenes were. I don't care if Carrie finds new love or if Finley goes to college. 

I wondered that too. I mean, I guess it's nice that they didn't just leave Carrie alone and brokenhearted somewhere and maybe they were under contract to have Rosie O'Donnell in at least one more episode, but that just seemed like filler and maybe a little comic relief. I don't need to see her again.

As for Finley and college, well... it just seems to me that college is Finley's idea of what mature adults do and less that she actually knows what she wants to do with her life and is pursuing her goals with continuing education. 

17 minutes ago, Elizzikra said:

I wondered that too. I mean, I guess it's nice that they didn't just leave Carrie alone and brokenhearted somewhere and maybe they were under contract to have Rosie O'Donnell in at least one more episode, but that just seemed like filler and maybe a little comic relief. I don't need to see her again.

I guess she's Tess' sponsor so maybe they're going to keep her on? Or she's Tess's sponsor? (And they're meeting at what's going to be the new bar and popping over to the already-running bar to go to the bathroom?) At least the character's got to be better when not complaining about Bette all the timee, but I can't say I missed her. She has no reason to be with any of these people. They're not friends.

17 minutes ago, Elizzikra said:

As for Finley and college, well... it just seems to me that college is Finley's idea of what mature adults do and less that she actually knows what she wants to do with her life and is pursuing her goals with continuing education. 

I did like when she asked whoever it was whether they thought she'd be good at school and the person just said, "Well, were you good at it before?" 

I mean, plenty of people can be good students at college when they weren't in high school since they're now studying something that interests them and they have a purpose, but it's as usual unclear if Finley has any interest in college rather than getting a pat on the head for doing something that adults do.

Totally seems like we're setting up Dani and Sophie again, with maybe Finley as the Carrie who's constantly moaning about how she can't compete with Dani.

15 hours ago, Elizzikra said:

14 hours ago, sistermagpie said:

I guess she's Tess' sponsor so maybe they're going to keep her on? Or she's Tess's sponsor? (And they're meeting at what's going to be the new bar and popping over to the already-running bar to go to the bathroom?) At least the character's got to be better when not complaining about Bette all the timee, but I can't say I missed her. She has no reason to be with any of these people. They're not friends.

I don't know how AA works but would people that so recently fell off the wagon be sponsoring others? 🤷‍♀️

But yeah, I hope this is the last we see of her. 

I don't know how AA works but would people that so recently fell off the wagon be sponsoring others? 🤷‍♀️

I thought Tess was Carrie's sponsor and when Tess left to meet Shane, Finley stepped in to meet with Carrie. Which... would put Finley in the sponsor role. She's definitely not ready.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Elizzikra said:

I thought Tess was Carrie's sponsor and when Tess left to meet Shane, Finley stepped in to meet with Carrie. Which... would put Finley in the sponsor role. She's definitely not ready.

Yes, that's just ridiculous. Though maybe she just left hoping Finley would tell Carrie Tess was gone. Which also makes no sense because we have cell phones now and nobody would make somebody show up to find out the person wasn't there so...🤷‍♀️

I wish they'd dial back on the drama, and increase the fun and humor.  My favorite scenes are when they're showing the friendships, and they're doing ordinary things and letting relationships between them grow.  Car crashes, break ups, Tina and Bette reunited, Shane cheating!  Too much!

I like that Finley is applying to college, and her discussion with Carrie.  Carrie's dash to ask out the plumber was cute, and her excitement, as well as Finley's excitement was fun to see.  Not everything has to be tragic drama, show!

Dani should try being single for a while.  But I think she's about to cause trouble between Sophie and Finley, which I am not looking forward to. 

• Like 1

Wait, when did the show roll into every man's fantasy girls with sledgehammers fantasy? I laughed so hard, I just had to turn it off. Lol. I will never not love Shane but that was so goofy. They could have played it off so funny but nope. It really felt made for the male gaze.

Edited to add - how is Shane not actually working these days? She doesn't do hair anymore? I'm confused. 

Edited by hatchetgirl
Add stuff