Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E01: Last Year

• Start Topic

Bette and Tina struggle to reconcile their past and future selves as Angie is dealt a shocking blow on her first day of college. Meanwhile, Shane adjusts to domestic life with Tess, and Alice questions what she wants in a partner. At the bungalow, Finley returns from rehab and works to pick up the pieces of the life she left behind with Sophie, while Dani and Micah take big swings with Gigi and Maribel.

Original Streaming Date: November 18, 2022   Showtime OnDemand
Original Air Date: November 20, 2022   Showtime    8pm
LWGQ_S3_0003_R.jpg
LWGQ_301_5194_R.jpg
LWGQ_301_5820_R.jpg

Also, for some reason I thought Angie was in middle school the first season? In the adult lives no more than two total years have passed but somehow Angie's aged like 5 years? Or am I completely wrong about her original age? I thought she was around 13.

10 hours ago, gesundheit said:

Also, for some reason I thought Angie was in middle school the first season? In the adult lives no more than two total years have passed but somehow Angie's aged like 5 years? Or am I completely wrong about her original age? I thought she was around 13.

I don’t know what grade she was in for the first season except that she changed schools a few episodes in. She went to prom last season and seemed to be a senior then…

• Like 1

I hate Finley. Dani is right - she isn’t charming or cute. She’s still immature and selfish. It makes no sense to rehire her at an establishment based on alcohol and I do not understand why everyone still kisses ass as if she wasn’t immature selfish when she was sober, too. She definitively didn’t pay attention to what she was supposed to learn at sober living - jumping back into a relationship, forcing other people to listen to her apologies and demanding forgiveness on her timeline, etc. 

What happened with Dani’s arrest? Or her father’s trial in general. Jumping a year ahead is no excuse to skip over that cliffhanger. And to apparently skip over a year of Gini  

You would think Micah would know better than to buy a ring to propose to someone if he doesn’t know her view on getting married. The surprise ring when you’ve literally never discussed marriage is not romantic. It’s patriarchal bs.

I’ve watched the L Word since the first season of the original and I can honestly say I find Tina and Bette’s “will they? won’t they?” endless plotline tiresome. I’m with Angie - what the f. However, Jennifer Beals needs to reveal the location of her fountain of youth because holy crap she looks great.

The sex scene with Alice was unpleasant to suffer through.

• Love 2

It makes no sense to rehire her at an establishment based on alcohol 

Yup. Why would they offer? Why would she say yes? Why wouldn't anyone give this even a second thought? I hope Finley has a good sponsor because she is going to need one.

Also - her first night at home activity was going to a charity benefit... at a BAR? With a bunch of people drinking and drugging around her? Great idea! Really put that fresh sobriety to the test. And again, no one even mentions that this is maybe not the best thing for her to do?

Can someone remind me what happened with Alice and Tom after she found the engagement ring in his jacket pocket?

Also was Angie a junior last season and the time jump was her senior year? Did she take a gap year? 

• Love 1
7 hours ago, oldCJ said:

I hate Finley. Dani is right - she isn’t charming or cute. She’s still immature and selfish. It makes no sense to rehire her at an establishment based on alcohol and I do not understand why everyone still kisses ass as if she wasn’t immature selfish when she was sober, too. She definitively didn’t pay attention to what she was supposed to learn at sober living - jumping back into a relationship, forcing other people to listen to her apologies and demanding forgiveness on her timeline, etc. 

Yeah, it felt like I was the only one thinking um, it's a *bar* you guys. Is nobody going to address the risk there? 

7 hours ago, oldCJ said:

You would think Micah would know better than to buy a ring to propose to someone if he doesn’t know her view on getting married. The surprise ring when you’ve literally never discussed marriage is not romantic. It’s patriarchal bs.

IKR? When he pulled it out and she said that I was like...dude, you haven't even discussed marriage? If you don't know you're on the same page as these things, don't go out and buy a ring. 

2 hours ago, Elizzikra said:

Also was Angie a junior last season and the time jump was her senior year? Did she take a gap year? 

Did she say something about taking one? I honestly remember barely anything about what happened--I briefly thought we'd ended with the airport scene from the season before. 

Did she say something about taking one? I honestly remember barely anything about what happened--I briefly thought we'd ended with the airport scene from the season before. 

No but in season 2 she went to prom (which I suppose could have been as a junior or a senior). Then the episode started with "One Year Later" and she is moving into her dorm for what I think was her freshman year of college.

• Useful 1

Sigh. Why do I keep doing this to myself? Almost 19 years in and I still can't quit this crap fest. 

Finley still bugs, Shane is still gonna cheat, Bette and Tina are still gonna dance, Alice is still gonna date wildly inappropriate people, Micah is still gonna get the short end of the stick because the writers don't know what to do with him...

Days of our Queer Lives. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, MicheleinPhilly said:

Sigh. Why do I keep doing this to myself? Almost 19 years in and I still can't quit this crap fest. 

Finley still bugs, Shane is still gonna cheat, Bette and Tina are still gonna dance, Alice is still gonna date wildly inappropriate people, Micah is still gonna get the short end of the stick because the writers don't know what to do with him...

Days of our Queer Lives. 

Have you been living in my brain?  I was thinking the same thing.

BTW what the heck happened to the dude from last season that Alice hooked up with?

But poor Angie. Getting dumped as you move into your dorm room on your first day in college.  That's cold man. Really cold.

3 hours ago, greekmom said:

Have you been living in my brain?  I was thinking the same thing.

BTW what the heck happened to the dude from last season that Alice hooked up with?

I think he might be back? Or am I thinking of someone else? This show never stays in my head!

3 hours ago, greekmom said:

But poor Angie. Getting dumped as you move into your dorm room on your first day in college.  That's cold man. Really cold.

One of those obvious examples of a conversation that would have happened over their senior year and summer, but they had to wait until now because they want the season to start with Angie getting dumped and starting college. (Just as Micah and Mirabel have never brought up their thoughts on marriage with each other or her sister until he whips out a ring...) 

• Like 2
18 hours ago, greekmom said:

14 hours ago, sistermagpie said:

One of those obvious examples of a conversation that would have happened over their senior year and summer, but they had to wait until now because they want the season to start with Angie getting dumped and starting college. (Just as Micah and Mirabel have never brought up their thoughts on marriage with each other or her sister until he whips out a ring...) 

The Angie thing didn't bother me as much, although I felt badly for Angie, because they're kids. First love, inevitable heartbreak, yada, yada, yada. It's what happens. 

It's the writing that has everyone else acting like a teenager that bugs. No one on this show acts like an adult. 

• Love 1

I think he might be back? Or am I thinking of someone else? This show never stays in my head!

I think you are thinking of Tom, played by Donald Faison - her book publisher/editor? I can't figure out what happened there either - I don't remember and don't want to watch again. She found an engagement ring in his jacket pocket and it was an "oh shit" moment for her but I can't remember what happened after that.

Alice was then hooking up with some millennial dude in the first episode but she'd dumped him by the end of the episode and had moved the parameters on her dating app to be closer to her own age.

1 hour ago, Elizzikra said:

I think you are thinking of Tom, played by Donald Faison - her book publisher/editor? I can't figure out what happened there either - I don't remember and don't want to watch again. She found an engagement ring in his jacket pocket and it was an "oh shit" moment for her but I can't remember what happened after that.

Right, that's who I was thinking of. I was saying I think his character might be returning--whether they'd be together or not I don't know. 

2 hours ago, sistermagpie said:

Right, that's who I was thinking of. I was saying I think his character might be returning--whether they'd be together or not I don't know. 

I hope he does. I liked that character and I also thought it could be really interesting to see how Alice moves through the LGBTQ+ community and her life in a heterosexual relationship when we have seen her primarily in same-sex relationships. 

• Like 2

So I didn't watch this during its first run.  Watched Q S1, then went back and watched the original. 

I can't be the only person who hates Bette?  She is so fucking selfish.  And Tina is so weak and wishy washy.  I hope they don't get back together, their characters are more interesting in other relationships.  Carrie was a little weirdo but I'd rather see her on occasion.  And the never ending series of trainwrecks that is Bette mistreating people.

Pretty sure Angie was a a senior but I suppose it could have been junior prom.  I don't remember Bette's overbearing ass harassing her about college applications, so maybe it was Jr year?

I really like Dani and Gigi but Dani better show G some grace given all the emotional support she consistently gave her last season.  The kids are going to be a consideration in a decision like that, so Dani shouldn't be surprised.  She should also realize G will drop her in a second if she makes an issue of this. 

I feel like they're going to do a lot of flashback type scenes to fill us in on the unanswered changes.

I liked Tom so I'm sad to see he's gone.

Still hate Finley.  And yes, what was Shane thinking offering her a job.

• Love 1

I don't remember Bette's overbearing ass harassing her about college applications, so maybe it was Jr year?

The more I think about it, the more I think last season was Angie's junior year. There was one throwaway line from either Shane or Alice to Bette, about how "coordinating college visits isn't talking" referring to Bette and Tina "talking" during the past year. So I think during the year we didn't see, Angie was a senior in high school, visited colleges and is now at the start of her freshman year.

And yes, what was Shane thinking offering her a job.

I think her heart was in the right place, like "we still love you and we want to support you now that you are home." It looks to me like the new business Shane is opening will be a salon so maybe Finley can manage that and be away from the bar?

1 hour ago, Elizzikra said:

The more I think about it, the more I think last season was Angie's junior year. There was one throwaway line from either Shane or Alice to Bette, about how "coordinating college visits isn't talking" referring to Bette and Tina "talking" during the past year. So I think during the year we didn't see, Angie was a senior in high school, visited colleges and is now at the start of her freshman year.

Yes, I caught that too and it seemed to definitely say that Angie spent the last year looking at colleges. Which would leave the possibility of a gap year open, but I'm fine with her being a junior the year before. Since she wasn't talking about colleges then, it would make sense if she was a junior.

Can we talk about the fundraiser? It's happening at the bar. That's fine I guess. But they're happy about $7k raised (at some point)? Like... we have a few big hitters in the audience. Bette effin Porter ran for mayor at some point. Alice is like Ellen in this universe. And they don't pull other people in for this fundraiser? Makes no sense to me.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, hurrrz said:

Can we talk about the fundraiser? It's happening at the bar. That's fine I guess. But they're happy about $7k raised (at some point)? Like... we have a few big hitters in the audience. Bette effin Porter ran for mayor at some point. Alice is like Ellen in this universe. And they don't pull other people in for this fundraiser? Makes no sense to me.

I guess they made $17,000 after Tina bought Bette's painting...