Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E04: Will You Be My Girlfriend?

• Start Topic

I think these past couple of episodes the four girls have been proper friends, a real girl gang. And they behave like college girls, I thought that was missing a bit last season.

Is selling you eggs a realistic thing and with that price tag?

6 hours ago, Aulty said:

I think these past couple of episodes the four girls have been proper friends, a real girl gang. And they behave like college girls, I thought that was missing a bit last season.

Is selling you eggs a realistic thing and with that price tag?

If she did it over and over and over again, maybe. She can do it up to six times, but it’s a couple months for each cycle. 

• Useful 1

Contrast the characters on this show to those on Euphoria, whose characters would be near the same age.

Which ones seem more like 17 year olds of today?

TSLoCG wants to set up situations for comedy but the characters seem more mature and able to rein in emotions than you would expect for kids this age.

What Leighton did was shitty.  But no consequences, she gets into the sorority anyways.

Bela gets all the casual sex she wants to feed her libido.  She also does something shady but again no consequences.

Whitney is the only one who pays for doing something wrong but that doesn't seem like a permanent situation.

45 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

I've been shipping Canaan and Kimberly since the beginning. I feel like it'd be pretty hard to pull off now though, unfortunately.

Yeah, unfortunately. Kimberly will hook up with that dorky Brad Pitt, next door.

3 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

I've been shipping Canaan and Kimberly since the beginning. I feel like it'd be pretty hard to pull off now though, unfortunately.

They could probably do it in a few seasons.  Even though there's a bit of a "girl code," I think people that age might not take it as seriously as a relationship that has only lasted a few months at this point.  If even that long.  But not if Canaan and Whitney keep going back and forth.

• Like 2

So I got the vibe they were gonna break up Whitney and Canaan a couple episodes ago and sure enough.  I wonder if they are now setting up Whitney for annoyed Biochem guy?  Her challenge that she was gonna work rings around him felt like a total set up for an enemies-to-lovers storyline. 

Also, I can't lie when Bella said 'Hey you got a 62, I got a 4' when they got their quizzes back I cracked the hell up.

I do like the direction they are going with Whitney where she is determined to take some more rigorous classes.  It is so true in my experience when I was an advisor, that a lot of athletes were steered to 'easier' classes in order to keep their GPAs up.  I remember when I worked at a D1 school, there was a whole list of courses and professors that were athlete friendly that the advisors in the Athletics dept. would make sure the athletes got enrolled into year after year.  So much so there was an intro geology class that was low key known as 'Rocks for Jocks' since without fail every athlete took that class.

13 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

I've been shipping Canaan and Kimberly since the beginning. I feel like it'd be pretty hard to pull off now though, unfortunately

Hah!  Me too. 

13 hours ago, SnazzyDaisy said:

Yeah, unfortunately. Kimberly will hook up with that dorky Brad Pitt, next door.

Yup.  I hope the show surprises us (it probably won't) and not go there, but it seems to want to hook Kimberly up with the eye-candiest of the guys.

Leighton not telling the women she slept with that she might have exposed them to Chlamydia is a shit move.  Sexual responsibility goes hand in hand with sexual positivity which the show seemingly promotes.  But by Leighton not doing that and there being no consequences (that we see in this episode at least) it feels tone deaf, imo.

9 hours ago, DearEvette said:

Also, I can't lie when Bella said 'Hey you got a 62, I got a 4' when they got their quizzes back I cracked the hell up

Ditto. Although for some reason, I had the idea that Bella was secretly a smarty so I was a little surprised, too. But I hope she and Whitney actually do well in this class. Just to put jackass smart guy in his place.

I was bummed Canaan broke up with Whitney but I feel like he's been looking for an excuse for a while. Their relationship was not that hard, but he never seemed as into it as I would have expected. When he couldn't focus on getting down with Whitney last season because he was too distracted by Kimberly's stuffed bear and bra, I knew they were doomed.

Edited by emma675
  • Like 1
10 hours ago, DearEvette said:

I wonder if they are now setting up Whitney for annoyed Biochem guy?  Her challenge that she was gonna work rings around him felt like a total set up for an enemies-to-lovers storyline. 

Yea, I'd be shocked if they don't go there. And I won't lie, I love that cliché so I'm into it lol.

• Like 1
On 11/25/2022 at 9:32 PM, aghst said:

What Leighton did was shitty.  But no consequences, she gets into the sorority anyways.

Bela gets all the casual sex she wants to feed her libido.  She also does something shady but again no consequences.

Whitney is the only one who pays for doing something wrong but that doesn't seem like a permanent situation.

Leighton is a legacy and is rich. I feel like they should have leaned into that reasoning for her still getting into the sorority, but it's not surprising that she didn't see any consequences for her actions (aside for the public humiliation of the girl calling her out for giving her chlamydia.)

I also don't see an imbalance in Bela's situation. She did something shitty, Eric called her out on it, she apologized, they made up. There were also consequences, because Eric hacked her website in response to her sabotaging his cover. I'm sure one of them will eventually go too far in their rivalry, but that wasn't this episode.

It was pretty glaring that Whitney was the only one who suffered consequences though, while all the other girls got away with their shitty behavior. Hopefully she gets a win with her biochem pursuits. 

• Love 1
On 11/25/2022 at 9:32 PM, aghst said:

Bela had consequences and is clearly going to be in a (revenge-sex-having) back and forth with them with that guy.

On 11/26/2022 at 11:23 PM, DearEvette said:

Leighton not telling the women she slept with that she might have exposed them to Chlamydia is a shit move.  Sexual responsibility goes hand in hand with sexual positivity which the show seemingly promotes.  But by Leighton not doing that and there being no consequences (that we see in this episode at least) it feels tone deaf, imo.

I think she's definitely going to have consequences. Her phone call with that sorority sister was super-sketchy from the sorority girl's end. It's coming.

On 11/27/2022 at 9:22 AM, emma675 said:

Ditto. Although for some reason, I had the idea that Bella was secretly a smarty so I was a little surprised, too. But I hope she and Whitney actually do well in this class. Just to put jackass smart guy in his place.

It doesn't really make any sense that Bela can be doing that badly in a class she stays in. She got into the school in the first place. Sure, her parents can pay sticker price but she's not like Leighton or Whitney with legacy/public-figure parents. She'd have to actually be a good student. 

Are there some states where you're allowed to call it "selling your eggs" now? It's been a while but I remember all egg and sperm handoffs legally having to be called "donations" while the money was "compensation for your time," rather than a sale. But on the show even the brochure is like "Yeah, sell your eggs, make a bunch of money!" It's true that Ivy+ girls can get more money because recipients want "smart genes," but it used to all be very careful wording.

Once Kimberly starts those injections I imagine they'll start throwing sex opportunities at her left and right. Seems like that has to be part of the impending shenanigans, that she'll have to turn them down because she's too fertile.