Type keyword(s) to search

S48.E05: Amy Schumer / Steve Lacy

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, Jody said:

I Don't Like Michael Che Always Putting Down Women ! 

With the "sun... why can't you smile" joke, I think he was making fun of the fact that people actually say that to women.

• Like 2
  • Love 3

I'm going to give an unpopular opinion here, but I liken COVID more to having a very bad flu or pneumonia rather than having something like AIDS in the 1980s. Yet I feel like some people treat COVID more like the latter. I'm not saying COVID is a breeze, and sure it is much more easily transmissible than the HIV virus for example, but I do feel like there are some people who act like they don't know what it's like to be sick before. That said, I thought the ad was funny because COVID does sound like the name of a medication. 

I actually really liked the Looker sketch, and in particular, I found it absolutely hilarious that only the first five minutes of several Property Brothers shows were viewed. 

The physical comedy of Amy trying to eat her soup was pretty funny to me as well. 

• Like 2

If anything on SNL ever came close to putting me off in regard to COVID, it was when they had what felt like dozens of pieces about well-off people drinking their way through the pandemic and talking about how they sat at home for months and months doing nothing. I thought it made the show look really out of touch, which, of course, it is, it's showbiz, I get that, but I didn't need to be reminded of it so many times.

When this popped up I thought to myself, "I don't want to see more COVID pieces," but I liked that they tried a different take, and I liked that some of the cast who go more in the "weird" realm of the show, like Sarah and seemingly Michael (who really is starting to clean up those bigger roles), were leads in this so that we would be reminded we weren't meant to identify too much with their characters.

I'm not a big Amy Schumer fan, but I have to give her kudos for managing to perform through a very busy night in spite of worrying about her son. There were a number of sketches I enjoyed, more because of the performances than the writing in several cases (like penis therapy and that Looker pre-tape), but I did think the tailgate sketch was good, a nice throwback to stuff they did 25-30 years ago...and the pre-tape about the feminine hygiene product ended with some of my biggest laughs this season. 

I have a great deal of respect for Cecily, but even when I share the views of the cast members who go on Update to try to deliver talks about topical issues, it always feels awkward to me, and vaguely patronizing, even when that presumably is not the intention. If the idea is we are meant to see what they are saying is special because they are appearing as themselves, that doesn't work for me, because the version we see of someone on TV is never truly them. I don't understand why they can't just write and perform in a sketch about the topic. The show used to have very rich slice-of-life pieces many years ago. Let's go back to those.

• Like 3
  • Love 2

What has Amy Schumer done to her face? It would've taken me a few minutes to figure out who she was if the announcer hadn't said her name.

I hadn't heard that Asperger's was revealed to be named for a Nazi sympathizer. Maybe that's why Kanye went off the rails, lol.

The COVID sketch? Too soon, forever, IMO.

Dave Chappelle to host, again right after an election. No thanks.

Love that first Steve Lacy song. He's adorable.

OMG, are Jets fans really that obnoxious? It reminded me of a time, back when dinosaurs still roamed the earth, when my uni defeated a certain hyper macho Texas school in a football game. It was scary going out to the parking lot afterward.

Baby leg. I thought the term was "baby arm." (Google says yeah.) Whatever, not sure why a guy would claim to have a big penis when his advertising could so easily be proven to be false. Maybe that's the joke: guys who do that are usually delusional?

Okay episode. I'm not a fan of Amy Schumer--for reasons--but I thought she was fairly funny here. She's pretty game and goes all in like Bowen.

I wonder if Amy was heavily involved in the writing.

Me too. A lot of genitalia-related jokes.

The musical guest was awful, and like you I felt bad for him.

I didn't care for the 2nd song but I didn't feel bad for him. The lo-fi thing is his vibe, so far anyway. The 1st song he performed has been getting a lot of airplay on top 40/R&B radio since early summer. And he's big on Tik Tok.

Her husband looks a lot like Jon Hamm here.

He does, wow. And Jon Hamm is strongly alleged to be well-endowed. Maybe Amy was low-key bragging on her hubby in that therapy sketch?

Edited by Joimiaroxeu
  • Love 1

I don't think the joke was that the husband actually has a big dick. I think the joke was that to get him to go to therapy, they had to tell him that it was special therapy for guys who have a big one. Being able to advertise it as for big penis men, takes the stigma off of for a guy resistant to going to therapy.

That's why all the other things at the end of the sketch were similarly tagged-- to market them to otherwise resistant customers.

• Like 2
  • Useful 2
  • Love 6

In general this show seemed mediocre, stilted perhaps?  There were some good ideas that just didn't land.

The CO was one of the worst in recent memory and it appeared they knew it.  The gong-bowl bit fell totally flat and that's when you could see the reaction.

I was pleasantly surprised by Schumer's monologue and not surprised that a pro comic could deliver.  In fact, why don't they just ditch the ever-more tired idea of a host monologue* and just have some promising new comic do five or six? 

I won't be buying any Steve Lacy music but I liked him.  I'm also glad he showed up for the farewells sans sunglasses.

*Usually one of:

1.  Audience Q & A
  2.  Celeb Cameo
  3.  Castmember interruption
  4.  Song
  5.  Song & Dance
  6.  [Insert the one or five recurring overdone bits that I've forgotten here]
Edited by JZL
  • Applause 1