Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E03: The Small Things

• Start Topic

During an investigation into a fatal shooting, the team crosses paths with Demonté Green, a smooth-talking businessman who may have been the intended target. Also, Deputy Inspector Haywood tries to help a troubled teen, and Detective Killian finds himself at odds with his girlfriend, Corinne, after she hires an ex-con to work at their new bar.

Airdate: 10/16/2022

I wonder when Chekov's bat will go off. 

The opening scene was so relaxed and happy and then the shooting just shattered it. I thought that was very well/painfully done-- the shock of it, the crushing shattering of a moment.

They toned down the quirkiness of Richard Kind's character a lot, and he seemed like less of an annoyance this episode. I approve.

• Like 3
  • Love 5

Too bad this episode wasn't used as the Pilot episode, but the reviews seem to be a bit more than lukewarm, so I guess it doesn't matter.

This episode had 3 plots in which people/leopards had opportunities to change their spots, and a 4th mention of Killian having used some spot remover himself (was he a cheater?).
It logically makes sense that the 16-year-old first-time offender with a close relationship with his concerned grandmother should be given a *real* second chance——that is, *before* he does time in the system.

I guess kudos to not having the 16-year-old in custody being shown security cam footage from across the street of his "rock" (concrete block with a piece of rebar sticking out of it) narrowly missing killing the Deputy Inspector because someone threw her to the ground in time?
I mean, if they had footage of the drive-by, wouldn't they later have footage of that too?
Better to leave his reaction to seeing that be an unknown.  

11 hours ago, possibilities said:

I wonder when Chekov's bat will go off. 

Ooo.
Do you think Chekhov's bat will become a murder weapon and Detective Killian will become a suspect?
Or Maybe Killian will just feel responsible if the bat becomes a murder weapon?
And/or the former restaurant owner who accepted the bat as collateral will be killed, perhaps by the people who previously had possession of the Chekhovian bat?

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 5

I didn't even think of those possibilities for the bat! I was thinking that since he stole it, it would be reported stolen, and the corruption would come out that way, and also impact the restaurant and the girlfriend, not only the cop and the guy he gave the bat to, when the guy he gave it to says how he came to have it.

I don't think the guy who owned the restaurant is likely to use it in a crime, but I guess you never know. He might sell it, increasing the chain of custody, but I'd think whoever buys it would want it for its own sake, since it's got a high dollar value, and if they wanted to use it for a crime they'd buy a cheap bat off the shelf.

But who knows? It's TV. And they showed the bat in the previouslies, so they have not forgotten.

I don't know why the girlfriend is with him, when he's such a dick and she seems quite decent. I wonder what her story is.

• Like 1
  • Love 4

It feels like they changed their mind about the bat stealing/down payment after filming the pilot.   It's not been mentioned, shown in the previouslies or even alluded to.  But I suppose it could pop back up.   It's just an odd plot to begin with so I hope it's dead.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
2 hours ago, possibilities said:

I didn't even think of those possibilities for the bat!

He's going to give it to the LA Dodgers.  "Here.  Here's a bat.  You take this, swing it around when the pitcher throws the ball, and run after you hit it.  Got that?"

• LOL 1
7 hours ago, SnazzyDaisy said:

Nope Regina, wrong call. Vincent West should be held accountable for throwing that chunk of concrete. He could’ve killed you!

I agree. I wasn't feel sympathy for his grandmother either. He threw concrete off the roof and almost killed someone.  People have been killed that way.

• Like 1
  • Love 3
On 10/18/2022 at 1:42 AM, andromeda331 said:

I agree. I wasn't feel sympathy for his grandmother either.

Most definitely not. When she was going on about how the last time her grandson got in trouble she got to take him home, I was thinking yeah, but how old was he at that time and did he try to kill someone?

I believe Regina believes that getting arrested and spending time at the police station without getting to go home right away scared the grandson quite a bit and he'll think twice before doing it again. Also, putting him in prison will surely ruin his life.

I think I like Dowel Jones' option of serious community service but would that have given the kid a record? Sure, on the one hand, he deserves it, on the other hand, the cards are already stacked against him in society anyway and giving him a record won't help him in any way. They would also have needed an ADA who would have been willing to make such a deal with the kid. Would they have found them?

• Love 2
8 hours ago, CheshireCat said:

I believe Regina believes that getting arrested and spending time at the police station without getting to go home right away scared the grandson quite a bit and he'll think twice before doing it again. Also, putting him in prison will surely ruin his life.

I think I like Dowel Jones' option of serious community service but would that have given the kid a record? Sure, on the one hand, he deserves it, on the other hand, the cards are already stacked against him in society anyway and giving him a record won't help him in any way. They would also have needed an ADA who would have been willing to make such a deal with the kid. Would they have found them?

Let him plead to a misdemeanor rather than a felony with the agreement that his community service would involve hard labor or something unpleasant (cleaning up graffiti, picking up trash and cutting brush in abandoned lots, etc). And have it be made 100% crystal clear that this was his one and only break. He almost killed a police officer. Next time he goes away and gets forgotten about. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, NJRadioGuy said:

And have it be made 100% crystal clear that this was his one and only break. He almost killed a police officer. Next time he goes away and gets forgotten about. 

I imagine that was the thinking behind it even without any punishment but it should definitely have been made clearer!

• Love 2