Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E08: Crisis Point 2: Paradoxus

• Start Topic

That was a pleasant surprise after the letdown of the last episode. Poked lots of fun at the movies, a surprise guest, a bit of intrigue ...

And, we need more Dr. T'Ana in future episodes!

• Like 1
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, marinw said:

Whose voice was that at the very end? She sounded a little like Kate Milgrew.

I thought the voice was familiar, but I didn't know who. So far, it hasn't been credited. It would be an interesting choice.

• Useful 1

Man, I loved this episode.  It’s the little things that make it great.  Like them sitting on the floor to watch the credits. And when Mariner left the holodeck, she stepped over the bottom of the letter box to exit.

I thought I recognized the voice at the end too. Maybe it’s Phillipa Georgiou  and this is a backdoor pilot for the new Section 31 series.

Edited by ajsnaves
  • Useful 3

To me the 31 Agent sounded like Gillian Vigman, the voice actor for Doctor T.  Often on animated shows, actors are needed to perform multiple roles due to the smaller cast size- for example, I’m also pretty sure that Dawnn Lewis was Acolyte 1, even though I don’t think anyone is actually credited for that character either.

Overall I thought this was a good episode.  It’s been a while since I’ve seen the original Crisis Point, but I think this might be an even better parody of the Trek films.  It definitely leaned hard into ST:V with the cult leader/search for meaning of life elements.  And hey- giant rock monster!  It was a little tough watching Boimler try and fail to find meaning in the predictive text version of a Trek movie- but I’m glad his subconscious Sulu was there to set him right.

Meanwhile, Tendi and Rutherford were more in a general mashup of Trek stuff:  the “secret device” and space laboratory from ST:II, Romulan triplets instead of the Duras sisters from Generations, time travel to save the Federation a la First Contact, an ecological crisis like ST:IV….  But I think what I liked most about this part was that it feels like a culmination of a character arc that’s been building this season- Tendi wants to be a captain, and of all our lower deckers, she’s proving to be the best suited for the job.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Chyromaniac said:

the 31 Agent sounded like Gillian Vigman

It's definitely Vigman. I'm writing a book about animated Star Trek right now, and my least favorite part of it is listing the guest voice actors and their roles or the additional roles Vigman, Fred Tatasciore, and Eugene Cordero play. Listing them is not why I wanted to write the book in the first place. I'm writing it because I want to review every episode in a writing style that's not like how these episodes are usually reviewed on the web. The writers get caught up in listing every single Trek Easter egg, which doesn't interest me.

My writing schedule had this week down as the week when I'm supposed to work on my review of the first Crisis Point episode, and it happened to be the same week when Paramount+ dropped the second Crisis Point episode, so I changed my schedule mid-week so that I'd write reviews of both Crisis Point episodes back-to-back in the same week. I've replayed that Section 31 cliffhanger three or four times to identify the actress, and yeah, it's Vigman doing a Mulgrew impression. They always cast her as female authority figures like the professor who lectured about the greatness of Chief O'Brien. Unlike Prodigy's end credits, LD's end credits don't include the secondary or minor characters the voice actors play, so it's a hard task—it's why voice acting role info over on Memory Alpha and IMDb is incomplete—and I have to either listen closely to the voices or read or watch interviews with LD people to see if they mention who's playing who.

I mention this in the review of "Crisis Point 2: Paradoxus" I just finished writing: I like how they didn't repeat jokes from the first one. Sequels to comedy movies are often a waste because they recycle jokes. The 1978 Superman-style opening credits that kept colliding with Boimler's head at the start of the Vindicta movie were a great sight gag, and I'm relieved that "Crisis Point 2: Paradoxus" didn't recycle that.

• Useful 3
7 hours ago, MusubiMyHomie said:

It's definitely Vigman. I'm writing a book about animated Star Trek right now, and my least favorite part of it is listing the guest voice actors and their roles or the additional roles Vigman, Fred Tatasciore, and Eugene Cordero play. Listing them is not why I wanted to write the book in the first place. I'm writing it because I want to review every episode in a writing style that's not like how these episodes are usually reviewed on the web. The writers get caught up in listing every single Trek Easter egg, which doesn't interest me.

My writing schedule had this week down as the week when I'm supposed to work on my review of the first Crisis Point episode, and it happened to be the same week when Paramount+ dropped the second Crisis Point episode, so I changed my schedule mid-week so that I'd write reviews of both Crisis Point episodes back-to-back in the same week. I've replayed that Section 31 cliffhanger three or four times to identify the actress, and yeah, it's Vigman doing a Mulgrew impression. They always cast her as female authority figures like the professor who lectured about the greatness of Chief O'Brien. Unlike Prodigy's end credits, LD's end credits don't include the secondary or minor characters the voice actors play, so it's a hard task—it's why voice acting role info over on Memory Alpha and IMDb is incomplete—and I have to either listen closely to the voices or read or watch interviews with LD people to see if they mention who's playing who.

I mention this in the review of "Crisis Point 2: Paradoxus" I just finished writing: I like how they didn't repeat jokes from the first one. Sequels to comedy movies are often a waste because they recycle jokes. The 1978 Superman-style opening credits that kept colliding with Boimler's head at the start of the Vindicta movie were a great sight gag, and I'm relieved that "Crisis Point 2: Paradoxus" didn't recycle that.

Ah - good to know my ear was right!

They may not have repeated jokes from the first Crisis Point - however this marks the second time they’ve done the, “there’s a ship coming in- it’s the ___!” bit from First Contact.  Personally it still works for me- if it happens again in the next big space battle, it’ll officially be a running gag.

• Like 3