Type keyword(s) to search

• Start Topic

I am confused by the handling of Nikolai... It seemed like he was supposed to get a big public execution instead of just shot at night with nobody else around...

• Like 1

I am really enjoying this.  I loved the novel so much.  💖

29 minutes ago, paigow said:

I am confused by the handling of Nikolai... It seemed like he was supposed to get a big public execution instead of just shot at night with nobody else around...

I am not surprised.  When Rostov was waiting to see how it would go for him - the person before him was practically shot in front of Rostov.

If it was only a few people that they killed- they would have made examples of the people getting killed.  But it was a lot more than a few.  A great deal more.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Macbeth1966 said:

If it was only a few people that they killed- they would have made examples of the people getting killed.  But it was a lot more than a few.  A great deal more.

Nikolai was a high profile target [ex-royalty] who warranted a public execution for propaganda reasons...

• Like 1

Glad that the narrator is a young girl rather than a surly teenage boy apprentice who tries and fails to kill Rostov on the bank of a lava river...

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
18 hours ago, paigow said:

Nikolai was a high profile target [ex-royalty] who warranted a public execution for propaganda reasons...

They didn't publicly execute the Tsar.  

Really enjoyed this episode - Ewan McGregor is doing a great job. I like that they're just going with English accents so we don't hear awful put-on Russian accents.

Enjoying the H!ITG! of English actors, too.

• Like 2
(edited)

Nikolai is a prince but in Russia not all princes were royalty. 

Spoiler

doesn’t Nina disappear halfway through the book? She leaves her daughter. 

Edited by lucindabelle
(edited)

Oops sorry thank you

i must say most of this looks exactly as I pictured. I never had a great mental image of the Count so this is fine. Didn’t his moustache get shaved off entirely though?

I didn’t expect or remember the stairs to go around an open courtyard. Brr.

Spoiler

Halecki isn’t the same guy who ends up his party movie loving friend, right?

did we meet the awful waiter this early?

I don’t really mind the changes they’ve made though. I do wonder if people who haven’t read the book understand the significance of the coins.

did they say who paid for his meals in the book? I always wondered about that. 

Edited by lucindabelle

I read the book, which I enjoyed and, when I saw this advertised, I was really looking forward to ot but I'm just not feeling it. Ewan McGregor isn't selling the Count to me.

23 hours ago, lucindabelle said:

Nikolai is a prince but in Russia not all princes were royalty.

Prince implies Royal Family blood... Google Translate fail... 

11 hours ago, meep.meep said:

The stairs go around the lobby as described in the book.  Most big/grand hotels have big lobbies for people to sit in.

The stairs to the servants quarter I meant.

as for Russian princes, no, it’s not really royal. It just doesn’t have that connotation the way it would in any other European country. It’s a translation fail. A Russian prince is what we’d probably call a duke. It’s a nobleman but not royal. Right below princes are counts.