Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E06: Like Angels Put in Hell by God

• Start Topic

Lestat attempts to make amends with Louis. The vampire family decides to live together once more. A surprising action from Lestat leads the family to decide to leave New Orleans, once and for all. In Dubai, Molloy has a shocking realization.

Streaming on AMC+ 22.10.30 and airing on AMC 22.11.06. 

Proceed at your own risk for spoilers before the AMC airdate.

Louis is stuck STUCK. He was languishing in the house when Claudia was way; unable to escape his worry and pain because she was out there in the wind, but he gets her back, loses Lestat and he's still morose because he misses Lestat. He could be doing so much with his life (just as Claudia did by traveling) but he is bound in his own inescapable purgatory.

- Louis and Lestat are the couple from hell. All this time Lestat's trying to woo Louis back he's shaking up with Antoinette and Louis - who is still fundamentally, profoundly unhappy with Lestat is still asking him to murder Antoinette.

It's also still funny to me that Lestat raged at Louis that he heard his hurt dancing when he was with Jonah and what he and Antoinette had was different because there were no feelings involved and turns out he ends up with her for years and turns her. Lestat really is the best kind of worst person.

- Which is crazier : Lestat having his side piece sing on the track trying to woo back his ex or Louis destroying the record and having Lestat re-record it?

-While Lestat is the best kind of worst, I do enjoy it when he plays dirty. He wasn't going to Claudia escape and leave him yet again with a mournful Louis. Hell naw, he needed her around to keep Louis company while he was off with Antoinette.

• Like 1
  • Love 7

Of all the insanity that is Louis and Lestat, that Louis seriously swam across the Mississippi River from the French Quarter to Algiers (which isn't really far but not insignificant either) to confront him with his girl toy and they then proceed to throw her out of her own house so they could make up is right up there.

Both actors are doing a stellar job showing the cycle of dysfunctional love and obsession they're trapped in. Sam Reid continues to be a revelation in this version of Lestat. Lestat can obviously be cruel and he's a guy who really can't bear to be alone with his own company. But as Louis says, he also "has a way about him." He's "a lot." Reid is really giving us all of the many edges of that.

• Like 6
  • Love 16
8 hours ago, nodorothyparker said:

Both actors are doing a stellar job showing the cycle of dysfunctional love and obsession they're trapped in. Sam Reid continues to be revelation in this version of Lestat. Lestat can obviously be cruel and he's a guy who really can't bear to be alone with his own company. But as Louis says, he also "has a way about him." He's "a lot." Reid is really giving us all of the many edges of that.

I feel the same way. For me the series has gotten a lot more compelling since watching eps 5+6, especially Sam Reid's performances. Bailey Bass is surprisingly good, too. Well, all 3 of the principals, really... but  the portrayal of Lestat requires the most range.

The only choice I still don't love is the casting of Eric Bugosian as Daniel Malloy the reporter. The sarcasm and the  fatalist remarks to do with his illness and old age have quickly become wearing, to me at least.

IDK why Louis and Claudia believe they can communicate telepathically  or read each others thoughts and not have them be known to Lestat? I remember his telling Louis something to the contrary early on, but clearly he'll use every advantage he can including subterfuge. He didn't disclose he had the cloud gift (flight) until he actually did it.  He  revealed to Claudia when he puts his mind to it he can hear the thoughts of other vampires at a very great distance... so his housemates probably pose little challenge. Yet he only told her  of this ability when he wanted to  sadistically taunt her about what Bruce did to her.

We'll see, I guess.

• Love 2
57 minutes ago, T Summer said:

IDK why Louis and Claudia believe they can communicate telepathically  or read each others thoughts and not have them be known to Lestat?

Vampires are blocked from communicating telepathically with their makers, so they can't read Lestat and he can't read them or hear their conversations.

• Like 1
  • Love 4

As Louis and Claudia's maker, he can't directly hear their thoughts, nor they him. He can hear other vampires' thoughts though, even if they're nowhere near close by. He was telling Claudia that he could hear Bruce's thoughts about what he did to Claudia, wherever he is. 

• Like 3
  • Love 4
10 hours ago, Glade said:

Vampires are blocked from communicating telepathically with their makers, so they can't read Lestat and he can't read them or hear their conversations.

Yes, I remember in ep 2 when Lestat told Louis  (after making him vampire) there is a sacrifice when the dark gift is shared. He'd just asked Lestat can't you tell what I'm thinking?

Still, I wonder. IDK... I didn't really believe Lestat was that enraged because Claudia figured out how to beat Lestat  at one game of chess out of hundreds.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, nodorothyparker said:

As Louis and Claudia's maker, he can't directly hear their thoughts, nor they him. He can hear other vampires' thoughts though, even if they're nowhere near close by. He was telling Claudia that he could hear Bruce's thoughts about what he did to Claudia, wherever he is. 

Yes, that's what I was referencing when I wrote he told Louis something to the contrary early on. I'm suggesting if Lestat had unusual abilities (for a vampire) he'd keep it to himself to best serve his own ends.

I could be wrong, but I wonder.

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, T Summer said:

Yes, that's what I was referencing when I wrote he told Louis something to the contrary early on. I'm suggesting if Lestat had unusual abilities (for a vampire) he'd keep it to himself to best serve his own ends.

I could be wrong, but I wonder.

I do believe Lestat is incapable of listening in on the thoughts of Louis and Claudia, and that eats him up inside.  There is something going on in his home that he is excluded from permanently.  He wants all of Louis. He is jealous of Claudia being able to communicate with Louis in a way that he cannot.  Lestat is also a schemer so he assumes Claudia and Louis are as well.  He is not wrong here because we know Claudia is scheming right along with Lestat.  And, her scheming will part Louis from him.  

• Like 2
  • Love 6
On 10/31/2022 at 5:11 PM, T Summer said:

The only choice I still don't love is the casting of Eric Bugosian as Daniel Malloy the reporter. The sarcasm and the  fatalist remarks to do with his illness and old age have quickly become wearing, to me at least.

But kudos to the casting department for finding the younger version of Daniel; he was a great match.

• Like 1
  • Love 9
On 11/3/2022 at 6:20 AM, Fake Jan Brady said:

But kudos to the casting department for finding the younger version of Daniel; he was a great match.

Yes! It was uncanny. At first I wondered if they used CGI to de-age Daniel, but it’s another actor, he looks that much like him. 

I also liked Jacob Anderson/ Louis’ 70s hair!

Rashid was there in the 70s!! So what’s the deal there, I hope we find out soon. Only one more episode.

I did believe Lestat about how he was turned. He’s awful and I want him to die, but I believe his maker did that to him, and he thought he would die in that room full of look-a-likes. 

• Love 3

The extent of Louis' injuries was brutal.  It seemed like even years later he needed a cane.  The gall of sending Antoinette's song to Louis was really terrible.  I hate that Louis decided to take Lestat back, was he a masochist?  He just seemed resigned to Lestat's bad behavior and lies.

The doctor that was tending to Daniel was cute! 

The scene when Lestat was on the train was initially hilarious.  My closed caption said "Brooklyn accent" when he was speaking.  It was terrible that Lestat taunted Claudia about what happened to her the last time she went off by herself.

The reveal about Rashid was interesting.  I wish we had more episodes this season.

• Love 3
14 minutes ago, peridot said:

The extent of Louis' injuries was brutal.  It seemed like even years later he needed a cane.  The gall of sending Antoinette's song to Louis was really terrible.  I hate that Louis decided to take Lestat back, was he a masochist?  He just seemed resigned to Lestat's bad behavior and lies.

The doctor that was tending to Daniel was cute! 

The scene when Lestat was on the train was initially hilarious.  My closed caption said "Brooklyn accent" when he was speaking.  It was terrible that Lestat taunted Claudia about what happened to her the last time she went off by herself.

The reveal about Rashid was interesting.  I wish we had more episodes this season.

I am really thinking the Louis/Lestat relationship is the classic example of an abusive toxic relationship. Lestat is a POS. 

Personally I like it when streaming shows have at least 10-12 episodes a season. I don’t need to go back to the network days of 22-30 episodes, but ten, hour long ish episodes gives a story arch a chance to breathe. Especially when there’s world building to do- 7 is just too few!

• Love 4

Personally I like it when streaming shows have at least 10-12 episodes a season. I don’t need to go back to the network days of 22-30 episodes, but ten, hour long ish episodes gives a story arch a chance to breathe. Especially when there’s world building to do- 7 is just too few!

THIS. So much this! 10-12 is much more satisfying.

• Love 3
On 11/5/2022 at 8:53 PM, Scarlett45 said:

I also liked Jacob Anderson/ Louis’ 70s hair!

As a 70s child, I thought the afro was extremely appropriate and well-done, but doesn't that contradict the lore about hair not growing / growing back each night?  Louis has fairly short hair when he's made here.

1 hour ago, anoninrva said:

As a 70s child, I thought the afro was extremely appropriate and well-done, but doesn't that contradict the lore about hair not growing / growing back each night?  Louis has fairly short hair when he's made here.

Louis is sporting a modest afro that is possible with the hair seen on him in 1910 and 2022.  It's all in the styling and liberal applications of pomade for his early 20th century looks.  

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
12 hours ago, anoninrva said:

10 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

Louis is sporting a modest afro that is possible with the hair seen on him in 1910 and 2022.  It's all in the styling and liberal applications of pomade for his early 20th century looks.  

Yeah his hair isn't any longer, it's just teased out. When he was turned it was likely combed down with a little water and vaseline to give it the shine, or a hair pomade. @Ohiopirate02 said it first.

• Useful 1

I heard Lestat pronounce "New Orleans" the modern way - New OR-lins. When I lived there as a child, there were varied pronunciations. Many said "New OR-lee-ans," pronouncing four syllables. My grandmother told me it was the correct, french pronunciation. New Or-LEENZ was also common, and one would also hear New OR-lins. Now everyone insists the latter is the only correct pronunciation, which is not true.

Lestat would have used the french style.

"

Edited by pasdetrois
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, pasdetrois said:

I heard Lestat pronounce "New Orleans" the modern way - New OR-lins. When I lived there as a child, there were varied pronunciations. Many said "New OR-lee-ans," pronouncing four syllables. My grandmother told me it was the correct, french pronunciation. New Or-LEENZ was also common, and one would also hear New OR-lins. Now everyone insists the latter is the only correct pronunciation, which is not true.

Lestat would have used the french style.

"

When I lived in Louisiana (Baton Rouge), everyone said N'Awlins.   Lestat's pronunciation should have been more French.

• Wink 1
On 12/13/2022 at 11:22 PM, Doubleab88 said:

It was hard to watch Louis heal from his wounds then suffer severe depression. I was wondering if Lestat loves Louis and wanted to prove how he changed. Why did he keep seeing Antoinette and wanted to be caught? Did anyone else heartbreak when Louis described his love? “I loved her with all my heart and him with a wounded one.” He was so dissociative during the love scene and looked like he was just enduring it. It was also gross because Lestat was just with Antoinette!! Did Lestat even shower lol? I wondered if he slept with Louis to help him feel better because he was depressed? I also wondered if Louis really wants to kill Lestat or was manipulated to want to by Claudia ? especially since he’s more emotionally vulnerable right now.

I think Louis loves Lestat and hates himself for loving Lestat. He wants to be free, but he doesn’t believe he can. 

• Like 1