Type keyword(s) to search

Past Winners: Wanna Be on Top? Too Bad.

Well the worst winner in ANTM winner history for me was Lisa Dmato (even though she technically didnt win) but good god she was so freaking wild and crazy and her photos were very odd looking there were so many better models that season than her...... I was so upset Allison didnt win that season I actually stopped watching the show for a while after this even Laura K should have won over Lisa in my opinion.

• Love 1

I personally tend to think that Tyra not awarding the title to any contestant who is married or has kids is probably jealously on her part, since Tyra herself has never been married or had kids of her own. 

I think Jourdan was the first divorcee. I think it's possible Tyra might be jealous, but I'm not sure that's the only reason or the main reason.

I've been interested in the fashion and modeling industries for a long time. From my observation, it seems as though models tend to marry and have children later in their lives after they've achieved some level of success and fame.

Models start out young and when they're new faces, they'll do the editorial circuit, in order to nab the advertisement and endorsement deals because that's where the real money is.

I'm guessing the reason we don't hear of young married models with children is because few, if any, exist. The lifestyle (traveling at a moment's notice, etc.) wouldn't be conducive to family life.

That said few of the ANTM contestants are model material. At least, not for high fashion. They're too old to break into that niche. However, they can have lucrative careers in commercial modeling and they wouldn't have to travel as often and therefore, it's more conducive to family life.

Maybe Tyra is still of that "models don't get married and have children until later" mindset? That was pretty much the case for her and her model peers.

Sorry I'm trying to use Tyra-logic to respond to your post. ;)  You have valid points about when and how Tyra uses contestants' backstories to suit her purposes.

Maybe Tyra doesn't want to get married and/or have babies. Not everyone chooses to lead that kind of lifestyle. More power to her!

If we really want to talk about people who have been over-looked when it comes to Top Model winners, let's talk about Asians. There has not been one Asian winner in all 20 cycles (If Adam wins cycle 21, it'll be a first, but I highly doubt that will be the case). Is this because Tyra dislikes Asians? Maybe she's always wanted to be Asian, and is jealous! Or, more likely, an Asian has never been the winner for the same reason a Mother or LGBTQ person has never been the winner: none of them (on this show) were very good at modeling :/  

Edited by Zima
  • Love 2

Maybe Tyra doesn't want to get married and/or have babies. Not everyone chooses to lead that kind of lifestyle. More power to her!

If we really want to talk about people who have been over-looked when it comes to Top Model winners, let's talk about Asians. There has not been one Asian winner in all 20 cycles (If Adam wins cycle 21, it'll be a first, but I highly doubt that will be the case). Is this because Tyra dislikes Asians? Maybe she's always wanted to be Asian, and is jealous! Or, more likely, an Asian has never been the winner for the same reason a Mother or LGBTQ person has never been the winner: none of them (on this show) were very good at modeling :/  

I don't want marriage or children, so it's all good! Whatever floats Tyra's boat.  :)

You've made an interesting point about Asian winners and even more interesting when you take into account that neither mothers nor LGBTQ people have either.

C'mon, Tyra.

My current favorite winners are Danielle, Nicole Fox, and Yoanna House.  My least favorite winners are Saleisha Stowers (because the win was handed to her; she never had to actually work for it); Whitney Thompson (because her attitude stank the entire time and her perma-smirk); Teyona Anderson (had a look that was a little too "unique" for me and should never have gotten as far as she did with the quality of pictures she produced during the show); Krista White (who looked WAY too old for her age and was obviously favored to win throughout the show, especially the moment they went overseas as no one else had a chance to even win challenges or get FCO for the last 4 episodes); Ann Ward (the whole cycle centered around her, whether building up her confidence or giving her more FCO than anyone else in the history of the show, many of them undeserved in my opinion, as well as being a little harder on the other girls than necessary).  

I don't hate Ann as much as the others, but it was obvious practically from the beginning that she was going to win.  I think most of the girls practically gave up as they saw the preferential treatment Ann got and how snarky (piss-poor) the rest of them were treated, as if they were only there to make Ann look good.  I REALLY didn't like it. 

• Love 1

Jaslene looks great. Love that she is still working regularly after all these years. Orange Laura looks better with dark hair but dayum she has aged quite a bit since her cycle! Sophie is fierce as usual. Is she actually a cast member or just a model appearing in the promo?

Edited by Mattipoo

Yikes! Teyona looks like a fossilized skeleton in her Roman management photo. And why did she change her name to Asia Anderson?

Does Manny Roman do anything other than take test shots of ANTM contestants and Tyra?

• Love 1

Teyona's been Asia for several years now and I would guess it was her agency's idea (pre-Roman Mgt) to distance herself from ANTM or an agent simply thought it would sound better than Teyona.  She's not the only contestant to change her name after appearing on ANTM.