Type keyword(s) to search

S20.E26: Wynton Marsalis; Scott Galloway; Matt Welch

• Start Topic

Bill wanted Biden to do a both sides about his MAGA speech.

Galloway pushed back on false equivalencies and at least Bill called out Welch wHo tried to compare Stacy Abrams not being gracious in defeat to GOP election denialism.  She called out her GOP opponent, who had been secretary of state for making key decisions in his own gubernatorial election.  Bill should have pointed that BS out.

I mean get real, Biden wasn’t going to Make his speech about the woke mob because he isn’t trying to be DeSantis.  Or a bitter comic who can’t connect with young audiences.

I haven’t seen the new Top Gun movie but I also find the rave reviews head scratching.  Glorification of overpriced war machines, political boondoggles.

• Like 1
  • Love 3

Awful episode. Welch was a gasbag, as always. Had to FF through him a few times, he's just insufferable. He obviously enjoys listening to himself, so at least someone was having fun. 

Never heard of Galloway, but can he say 'disaster' a few more times? Everything is a disaster, according to him; cell phones, on-line dating, working from home. Anyone who did a Real Time drinking game and took a shot every time he called something a disaster, was passed out hammered by New Rules.

In total agreement about Top Gun, though. Its success is a headscratcher. 

• Love 3

I have to disagree about working from home across the board. It depends on the job, and there should be some 'going to work'. That can be talked about with a supervisor, for example. And you don't want everyone to be at home on the same day or something. Maybe once a month, the meeting is in person. Otherwise, whatever. I also learned that most meetings just are not needed. 

For meetings that have to be online, like across the country; I'll do in the morning and stay till lunch, then go in, or vice versa; come home for lunch and then stay. I typically also don't go in on Fridays.

I'd counterpoint that building in this flexibility actually enhances productivity. Sometimes you need a 4 hour block of no phone or people popping in here and there. I like going in, and I like my office, but knowing if I'm just not feeling it, or just was tired and slept in that I can walk from the bedroom down the hall and get to it is an option is also helpful. 

They're talking about you need to be able to learn how to wake up hungover and go to work. That shouldn't be a frequent occurrence, but sure, it's happened to me. Working from home actually salvaged the day than going in and just not being able to focus. 

I don't necessarily think online dating is that bad. At some point, you actually have to meet in person. Now, if he's saying just having an online bf/gf; sure, I don't think that's a good idea. I think fundamentally what they're missing in all this is that the technologies aren't inherently bad; they're misused. The better solution is to figure out how socially responsible use of these technologies can be taught. I mean, I've met way way more people I wouldn't have and professionally networked quite effectively using social media. 

The last few New Rules have all been really solid for me. 

I think Galloway' arguments is that younger workers need to make themselves visible and network with other workers and management.

He may not be so cynical but a lot of promotions are based on whom the bosses like.

Even tech companies, where a lot of work is done on a computer screen (so it shouldn't matter where that computer screen is), tout how they're all about meritocracy.

But it's often workers who are chummy with bosses, even socialize with them outside the office, who are often promoted.

So really it's not just about having great attendance at the office but schmoozing  people at work -- some performance reviews often include evaluations from co-workers.

• Love 1
52 minutes ago, aghst said:

I think Galloway' arguments is that younger workers need to make themselves visible and network with other workers and management.

He may not be so cynical but a lot of promotions are based on whom the bosses like.

Even tech companies, where a lot of work is done on a computer screen (so it shouldn't matter where that computer screen is), tout how they're all about meritocracy.

But it's often workers who are chummy with bosses, even socialize with them outside the office, who are often promoted.

So really it's not just about having great attendance at the office but schmoozing  people at work -- some performance reviews often include evaluations from co-workers.

Oh sure. I go to my conferences 2, 3 times every year because no one is going to work with you if they haven't met you. I was already well established when the conferences had to go virtual so I can't imagine how hard that would be. 

I still think building in the flexibility can allow for the networking at the office though. 

I'm guessing that this week's panel (not Wynton Marsalis, who is a true gentleman) got all coked up before the show: talking a mile a minute and incoherent, disconnected ideas. Galloway had an interesting idea occasionally, but none of them were developed well. That wore me out.

I noticed on this episode that Bill did not interupt, i guess that is sue to the fact that he had all male panel.  

Last week made me so mad he had been talking over every one of his women guests no matter what he would interrupt and not let them finish and talk the whole time the only person you didn't do it too was the one he should have and that was kellyanne Conway he let that bit get away with a ton but last week he had Amy Klobuchar who knows what she was talking about and was getting wonderful answers if you could hear them of a Bill's completely misogynistic mansplaining to her.

The monologue joke about in breeders being sad over the death of Queen Elizabeth II was completely uncalled for the woman had only been dead a day and he throws that in not funny and show a little respect to a wonderful woman who had Grace and charm things Bill. Lacks.

Wynton Marsalis is such a wonderful guest and very intelligent man now I don't understand why Bill's very first question to him was about drugs was that the way it was supposed to be did Mr Marcellus know about this it just seemed who somebody looked so refined and was a very respectful to Bill , for .Bill to ask him that question I didn't quite understand. Facebook Bill not all people do marijuana like you do not all musicians do such things unless Mr Marsalis has written a book or something and talked about it in there then maybe I can understand the questioning but I haven't heard anything

13 hours ago, Mystery Author said:

So Bill wants Biden to diss the left as well as the right, eh? What could possibly go wrong with that?

Both sides, both sides, both sides. Another example of how, underneath the brave, truthtelling narrative constantly pushed by Bill and various flacks, he still has the typical, ancient framing on serious topics. And of course he was also likely upset because he couldn't use the speech to say even Biden agrees with him about the woke kids and their cancel culture.

• Love 2

So Bill goes after Welch (rightfully) for his whataboutism regarding the election fraud issue, but then his advice to Biden is to do exactly the same with the MAGA crowd and the left? "Hey guys, these horrible MAGA people wanna destroy our democratic institutions and cause all sorts of chaos in the country. But let's not forget about those annoying woke leftists who are always fighting pronoun wars and canceling Jamie Foxx movies". That certainly wasn't one of Bill's brightest moments. 

I did enjoy Bill's closing monologue. Going after military spending and the military industrial complex is an issue that Bill has always been consistent on thankfully. And I'll admit that I always crack up when he makes gay jokes about Lindsay Graham. His anal probe joke was hilarious. I think that making gay jokes about Republican closet homosexuals who advocate against gay rights is totally justifiable. 

• Love 1
18 hours ago, DXD526 said:

Awful episode. Welch was a gasbag, as always. Had to FF through him a few times, he's just insufferable. He obviously enjoys listening to himself, so at least someone was having fun. 

Never heard of Galloway, but can he say 'disaster' a few more times? Everything is a disaster, according to him; cell phones, on-line dating, working from home. Anyone who did a Real Time drinking game and took a shot every time he called something a disaster, was passed out hammered by New Rules.

I disagree about Welch. I'm a big fan of his "Fifth Column" podcast. He's more of a process libertarian rather than one of those "the government is evil and all government institutions need to be shut down" libertarian. 

Totally agree about Galloway. It's like he wanted to upstage Bill with his "bitter old man" routine. He was really condescending with his "I know better than these young lazy kids about what's best for them." 

6 hours ago, ApocalypseThen said:

Totally agree about Galloway. It's like he wanted to upstage Bill with his "bitter old man" routine. He was really condescending with his "I know better than these young lazy kids about what's best for them." 

He's ~9 yrs younger than Bill! Though I feel the same way about SM, lazy kids & adults, Galloway's professorial monologues sounded like lectures he'd memorized, given many times and can give in his sleep. Not very engaging for the class or audience.  It is funny that his speech pattern when delivering hyperboles reminded me of Valley Girl speech.

Edited by deirdra

The problem with guys like that is they undercut their own argument when they're all 'entoning' or whatever affect they put on to make themselves seem smarter than they are. I was surprised when he pointed out that kids with summer jobs are only a fraction of what it used to be. I was getting summer jobs since I was 12. Developing that work ethic is important, and even more, you stay out of trouble because you're so damn tired from working. 

• Love 1

I did not watch this show as I haven't watched it in three years but my "young lazy kid" who prefers to work remotely did watch it. What both Maher and Galloway don't mention or don't know, is that one of the big reasons why so many workers that work remotely prefer it is that they don't have to spend hours in traffic messes getting to and from work...if you live in a suburb of a large city, like my son, this is a huge issue. Instead of sitting in traffic every morning, he is actually getting more work done between 8 and 10 AM then he ever did at the office...somedays even if he left before 6 AM, he could be trapped in a traffic jam due to an accident or a weather related problem that tied traffic up and he would be lucky to make it to the office by 10 AM. He has no problem in going in on a hybrid plan like two days in the office three days home as that would be preferable to five days a week...also, remote work helps him save money in gas consumption from commuting.

Employers need to understand that working remotely isn't embraced by just by "young, lazy kids" but also by working moms who can't find affordable daycare for five days a week and may only be able to get it for two or three days a week. The days they would have a young child at home while they work remotely would be two or three days at most and that is do able. Not ideal, but with occasional babysitting help from family, it can be done. 

Instead of griping about "young, lazy kids" maybe look at the  bigger picture and understand that remote work actually works...not just for the younger employee but for lots of other workers that have child care issues, health issues or other personal reasons that make working remotely a better plan for them. 

Also, for someone like Bill that has never worked a day in his life at an office or held a normal job at all except for maybe summer work as a teen or college student, it seems like maybe he should just sit back in his fancy chair and STFU.

• Applause 1
  • Love 6
3 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

The problem with guys like that is they undercut their own argument when they're all 'entoning' or whatever affect they put on to make themselves seem smarter than they are. I was surprised when he pointed out that kids with summer jobs are only a fraction of what it used to be. I was getting summer jobs since I was 12. Developing that work ethic is important, and even more, you stay out of trouble because you're so damn tired from working. 

That was the way it was for me also...I worked summers as a teen and college student. However, I know alot of parents of teens that aren't keen on their kids working for various reasons. Some of which are: Sexual harrassment by employers of teens;  low wages and no control over the number of hours they are required to work...sometimes being told if they don't work X amount of hours (for minimum wage) they could lose their job. But a huge reason for alot of high school kids not working is sports. Alot of teens spend their summers in summer league sports and in training programs...soccer, lacrosse, baseball, softball and summer swim teams are a huge part of summer and even school year activity. Those that are looking to play at a college in the future need this time to prepare for the fall tournaments that have college coaches eyeballing future players...Those that want to train and play their sport in the summer can fit a job in by coaching younger players. This seems to work well for most families. Sorry Boomer Bill...the life you lived in the 50', 60's and 70's is over...times have changed and you seem to have not been able to keep up or you just don't want to and prefer to spend your remaining days on this earth complaining and bitching about anyone and eveyone under the age of 60 without your own life experience of being a parent.

• Love 1
On 9/11/2022 at 5:04 PM, Hedgehog2022 said:

I did not watch this show as I haven't watched it in three years but my "young lazy kid" who prefers to work remotely did watch it. What both Maher and Galloway don't mention or don't know, is that one of the big reasons why so many workers that work remotely prefer it is that they don't have to spend hours in traffic messes getting to and from work...if you live in a suburb of a large city, like my son, this is a huge issue. Instead of sitting in traffic every morning, he is actually getting more work done between 8 and 10 AM then he ever did at the office...somedays even if he left before 6 AM, he could be trapped in a traffic jam due to an accident or a weather related problem that tied traffic up and he would be lucky to make it to the office by 10 AM. He has no problem in going in on a hybrid plan like two days in the office three days home as that would be preferable to five days a week...also, remote work helps him save money in gas consumption from commuting.

Employers need to understand that working remotely isn't embraced by just by "young, lazy kids" but also by working moms who can't find affordable daycare for five days a week and may only be able to get it for two or three days a week. The days they would have a young child at home while they work remotely would be two or three days at most and that is do able. Not ideal, but with occasional babysitting help from family, it can be done. 

Instead of griping about "young, lazy kids" maybe look at the  bigger picture and understand that remote work actually works...not just for the younger employee but for lots of other workers that have child care issues, health issues or other personal reasons that make working remotely a better plan for them. 

Thank you! Wish I could like your post ten times. I went from going to an office every day, to working remotely nearly all the time, to a hybrid model now. 

Working remotely, I save time not having to drive to and from, can actually be productive as far as household tasks during breaks, don't have to pack up lunches/snacks/water to drink, and don't have to spend as much time getting ready in the morning. All of that time can be spent working. Sometimes you're a bit under the weather, don't have a lot of physical energy, maybe cramping, things like that, and while getting ready and driving to the office, walking up and down stairs, dealing with people, going room to room can get to you, instead of calling in sick, you can sit comfortably at home and get your work done. 

I'm a childfree woman who hasn't ruled out kids. Because my job is low-stress and was work from home every day for a while, I thought this is a sweet gig for a parent. 

It's not about being lazy, it's about being practical. Are there people who might take advantage of not having a boss over their shoulder? Sure, and those folks can be disciplined. Everyone else who is just as productive at home should be able to work remotely imo. 

• Applause 1
  • Love 4