Type keyword(s) to search

HOT D Family Tree and Character Guide: Keeping Up With the Targashians

• Start Topic

-King Jaehaerys I Targaryen, called "the Old King", called a Great Council in 101 AC to prevent a succession conflict after his first and second sons had both predeceased him m. Princess Alysanne of House Targaryen (his sister)

• Prince Aemon Targaryen m. Lady Jocelyn of House Baratheon (his parents' younger half-sister/his aunt)
    • Princess Rhaenys Targaryen Velaryon, called "the Queen Who Never Was", her royal claim passed over at the Great Council of 101 AC, in favor of her younger cousin Viserys I, slain with her dragon in the Battle of Rook's Rest by Aemond One-Eye on Vhagar m. Lord Corlys of House Velaryon, called "the Sea Snake", returned to war in the Stepstones after the loss of their son, where he took a grave wound which led to a succession challenge by his brother, then recovered in time to join the council of Queen Rhaenyra I, named Hand of the Queen to Rhaenyra I after his wife's death
      • Ser Laenor Velaryon, fought in his father's forces in their first war on the Stepstones, allegedly killed shortly after his sister's funeral, though in actuality he and his current paramour fled to Essos once another man was killed in his place m. Princess Rhaenyra of House Targaryen (his second cousin)
        • Prince Jacaerys "Jace" Velaryon, betrothed to his stepsister/cousin Princess Baela, Prince of Dragonstone and heir to the Iron Throne upon his maternal grandfather's death and his mother's crowning
        • Prince Lucerys "Luke" Velaryon, the Sea Snake's intended heir in the time between Ser Laenor's "death" and Luke's own death; mutilated his half-uncle Prince Aemond by slashing through his eye, an act of self-defense as his, his elder brother's, and both Princess Baela's and Princess Rhaena's lives were being threatened, betrothed to his stepsister/cousin Princess Rhaena, became the first royal casualty of the succession conflict between his mother and his half-uncle Aegon, when he was slain, while acting as a peaceful envoy, by his half-uncle Aemond One-Eye with his dragon outside Storm's End
        • Prince Joffrey "Joff" Velaryon (named for Ser Laenor's murdered lover), sent to ward with his maternal cousin Lady Jeyne Arryn, in the care of his stepsister Rhaena, after a failed assasination attempt against Queen Rhaenyra 
      • Laena Velaryon, rejected at age 12 for a betrothal to King Viserys I in favor of Alicent Hightower, suicide by dragonfire during a difficult childbirth m. Prince Daemon of House Targaryen (her first cousin once-removed)
        • Princess Baela Targaryen (named for her paternal grandfather/maternal great-uncle), fostered by her grandmother Princess Rhaenys on Driftmark after her father's remarriage until she was betrothed to her stepbrother/cousin Prince Jacaerys
        • Princess Rhaena Targaryen (named for her maternal grandmother/paternal first cousin once-removed), betrothed to her stepbrother/cousin Prince Lucerys until his untimely death, sent to the Vale as guardian of her younger brothers (and 4 dragon eggs) after a failed assassination attempt against Queen Rhaenyra I, then left her party to find a wild dragon roaming the Vale
        • unnamed unborn Targaryen babe, stuck in the birth canal during labor and then destroyed with Lady Laena by Vhagar's dragonfire
  • Prince Baelon Targaryen, called "Baelon the Brave", died of a burst belly 5 days after his father named him the King's Hand m. Princess Alyssa of House Targaryen (his sister, see below)
  • Princess Alyssa Targaryen m. Prince Baelon of House Targaryen (her brother, see above)
    • King Viserys I Targaryen, called "Viserys the Peaceful", wielder of the ancestral Valyrian steel sword Blackfyre (passed from king-to-king), died in his bed after a very long illness 1stm. Lady Aemma of House Arryn (his first cousin, see below), died in her final childbirth 2ndm. Lady Alicent of House Hightower, ruled as regent alongside her father during the final years of the long illness of King Viserys I 
      • Queen Rhaenyra I Targaryen, called "the Realm's Delight" and later decried as "Rhaenyra the Cruel" and "the Whore of Dragonstone", eldest child of King Viserys I overall, and only surviving child by Queen Aemma, named Princess of Dragonstone and first female heir to the Iron Throne before her father's remarriage, crowned with her father's crown upon his death 1stm. Ser Laenor of House Velaryon (her second cousin), allegedly killed shortly after his sister's funeral, though in actuality he and his current paramour fled to Essos once another man was killed in his place 2ndm. Prince Daemon of House Targaryen (her uncle)
        • Prince Jacaerys "Jace" Velaryon, (actually sired by Ser Harwin Strong), betrothed to his stepsister/cousin Princess Baela, Prince of Dragonstone and heir to the Iron Throne upon his maternal grandfather's death and his mother's crowning
        • Prince Lucerys "Luke" Velaryon, (actually sired by Ser Harwin Strong), the Sea Snake's intended heir in the time between Ser Laenor's "death" and Luke's own death; mutilated his half-uncle Prince Aemond by slashing through his eye, an act of self-defense as his, his elder brother's, and both Princess Baela's and Princess Rhaena's lives were being threatened, betrothed to his stepsister/cousin Princess Rhaena, became the first royal causalty of the succession conflict when he was slain, while acting as a peaceful envoy, by his half-uncle Aemond One-Eye with his dragon outside Storm's End
        • Prince Joffrey "Joff" Velaryon, (named for Ser Laenor's murdered lover and actually sired by Ser Harwin Strong), sent to ward with his maternal cousin Lady Jeyne Arryn, in the care of his stepsister Rhaena, after a failed assassination attempt against Queen Rhaenyra 
        • Prince Aegon Targaryen, called "Aegon the Younger", (presumably named for Aegon the Conqueror, not his half-uncle), sent to ward with his maternal cousin Lady Jeyne Arryn, in the care of his half-sister Rhaena, after a failed assassination attempt against Queen Rhaenyra I, then sent on to Pentos by ship (without his sister Rhaena, who left their party to find a dragon in the Vale)
        • Prince Viserys Targaryen, (named for his maternal grandfather/paternal uncle King Viserys I), sent to ward with his maternal cousin Lady Jeyne Arryn, in the care of his half-sister Rhaena, after a failed assassination attempt against Queen Rhaenyra I, then sent on to Pentos by ship (without his sister Rhaena, who left their party to find a dragon in the Vale)
        • Princess Visenya Targaryen (named for Queen Visenya the Conqueror, original wielder of Dark Sister), a stillborn babe who came prematurely after the stressful news of the death of King Viserys I was given
      • King Aegon II Targaryen, called "Aegon the Elder", first surviving son of King Viserys I, second child overall and his firstborn by Queen Alicent, wielder of the Valyrian steel sword Blackfyre after his father's death and crowned with the Conqueror's crown; grievously wounded by a hard fall with his dragon and by dragonflame from Vhagar, his own brother's dragon, in the Battle of Rook's Rest, later fled from his traitor brother into exile with Larys Strong m. Princess Helaena of House Targaryen (his only full sister, see below)
      • Queen Helaena Targaryen, second daughter and third child of King Viserys I overall and secondborn child by Queen Alicent; a dreamer blessed/cursed with prophetic visions m. Prince Aegon of House Targaryen (her elder brother, see above)
        • Prince Jaehaerys Targaryen (named for his great-great grandfather Jaehaerys I), twin to his sister Princess Jaehaera; heir to the Iron Throne in the days between his father's coronation and his own tragic demise, when he was beheaded by a treasonous ratcatcher and goldcloak working at the behest of his granduncle Prince Daemon
        • Princess Jaehaera Targaryen (named for her great-great grandfather Jaehaerys I), twin to her brother Prince Jaehaerys, and only surviving child of King Aegon II and Queen Helaena after her twin brother was slain
      • Prince Aemond Targaryen, called "Aemond One-Eye", second son and fourth child overall of King Viserys I, his thirdborn child by Queen Alicent, who lost his left eye to a blade wielded by his bastard nephew Lucerys after he was ambushed for claiming Vhagar as his dragon, a loss avenged years later by Vhagar when she destroyed the bastard Lucerys and his dragon in the skies outside Storm's End, then slayed "the Queen Who Never Was" in the Battle of Rook's Rest and was afterward made the Prince Regent (and wielder of the king's Valriyian steel sword Blackfyre) during Aegon II's long convalescence
      • Prince Daeron Targaryen, third son and fifth child overall of King Viserys I, the fourth (and last) born to Queen Alicent; fostered with his maternal family in Oldtown from an early age
    • Prince Daemon Targaryen, wielder of the Valyrian steel sword Dark Sister 1stm. Lady Rhea of House Royce, a wife abandoned in the Vale until her untimely death in a hunting accident 2ndm. Lady Laena of House Velaryon (his first cousin once-removed), suicide by dragonfire during a difficult childbirth 3rdm. Princess Rhaenyra of House Targaryen (his niece)
      • Princess Baela Targaryen (named for her paternal grandfather/maternal great-uncle), fostered by her grandmother Princess Rhaenys on Driftmark after her father's remarriage until she was betrothed to her stepbrother/cousin Prince Jacaerys
      • Princess Rhaena Targaryen (named for her maternal grandmother/paternal first cousin once-removed), betrothed to her stepbrother/cousin Prince Lucerys until his untimely death, sent to the Vale as guardian of her younger brothers (and 4 dragon eggs) after a failed assassination attempt against Queen Rhaenyra I, then left her party to find a wild dragon roaming the Vale
      • Prince Aegon Targaryen, called "Aegon the Younger", (presumably named for Aegon the Conqueror, not his half-uncle), sent to ward with his maternal cousin Lady Jeyne Arryn, in the care of his half-sister Rhaena, after a failed assassination attempt against Queen Rhaenyra I, then sent on to Pentos by ship (without his sister Rhaena, who left their party to find a dragon in the Vale)
      • Prince Viserys Targaryen, (named for his maternal grandfather/paternal uncle King Viserys I), sent to ward with his maternal cousin Lady Jeyne Arryn, in the care of his half-sister Rhaena, after a failed assassination attempt against Queen Rhaenyra I, then sent on to Pentos by ship (without his sister Rhaena, who left their party to find a dragon in the Vale)
      • Princess Visenya Targaryen (named for Queen Visenya the Conqueror, original wielder of Dark Sister), a stillborn babe who came prematurely after the stressful news of the death of King Viserys I was given
  • Princess Daella Targaryen m. Lord Rodrik of House Arryn
    • Queen Aemma Arryn Targaryen, died in her final childbirth m. King Viserys I of House Targaryen (her first cousin, see above), called "Viserys the Peaceful", died in his bed after a very long illness 
      • Queen Rhaenyra I Targaryen, called "the Realm's Delight" and later decried as "Rhaenyra the Cruel" and "the Whore of Dragonstone", named Princess of Dragonstone and first female heir to the Iron Throne after her mother’s death, crowned with her father's crown upon his death 1stm. Ser Laenor of House Velaryon (her second cousin), allegedly killed shortly after his sister's funeral, though in actuality he and his current paramour fled to Essos once another man was killed in his place 2ndm. Prince Daemon of House Targaryen (her uncle)
        • (see above)
      • 1 child dead in infancy, 2 babes born dead, & 2 unborn babes dead in the womb
      • Prince Baelon Targaryen, (named for his paternal grandfather/maternal granduncle), "heir for a day" who died hours after his mother

Council and Kingsguard of King Viserys I Targaryen

Ser Otto Hightower, Hand of the King to Jaehaerys I in his final days who continued serving for Viserys I, until Viserys stripped him of his post, then made the Hand again years later, after Lord Strong's tragic demise

Lord Lyonel Strong, formerly Master of Laws and then the second Hand of the King to Viserys I after Ser Otto was stripped of his post, killed in a fire at home in Harrenhal

Prince Daemon Targaryen, former Commander of the City Watch, previously Master of Laws and Master of Coin, left Westeros to join Lord Velaryon's war against the triarchy in the Stepstones, twice banished from court and only welcomed home after the death of his second wife

Lord Corlys Velaryon, called "the Sea Snake", Master of Ships and husband to "the Queen Who Never Was", left Westeros to join Prince Daemon in war against the triarchy in the Stepstones, returned to war in the Stepstones after the loss of his son, where he took a grave wound which led to a succession challenge by his brother

Grand Maester Mellos, healer and adviser, presumably died of natural causes some time after Princess Rhaenyra wed Ser Laenor

Grand Maester Orwyle, healer and adviser, formerly just one of several maesters helping to tend the many ailments of Viserys I

Lord Lyman Beesbury, Master of Coin, became the first bloodshed in the Targaryen succession conflict when he was killed by Ser Criston Cole for remaining loyal to the will of his king and opposing the treason of his fellow councilors

Ser Tyland Lannister, Master of Ships after the Sea Snake's departure

Lord Jasper Wylde, called "Ironrod", Master of Laws after Lord Strong's promotion

Princess Rhaenyra Targaryen, a seated adviser as the king's heiress, formerly royal cupbearer, eventually left her father's court after the birth of Prince Joffrey

Queen Alicent Hightower, queen consort and adviser on behalf of her children, ruled as regent alongside her father during the final years of the long illness of King Viserys I 

Lord Commander Ryam Redwyne, legendary knight and Lord Commander of the Kingsguard, died in his sleep of an illness

Lord Commander Harrold Westerling, veteran kingsguard and former sworn shield of Princess Rhaenyra, promoted to Lord Commander after Ser Ryam's death, removed his white cloak after the death of King Viserys I in opposition to Ser Otto's treason

Ser Criston Cole, commonborn son of House Dondarrion's steward with some Dornish heritage, veteran of border fighting against Dornish raiders for which he was knighted, named to the Kingsguard to fill the vacancy after Ser Ryam's death and chosen as Princess Rhaenyra's new sworn shield (and her paramour for one night), became Queen Alicent's sworn shield instead after Princess Rhaenyra's (first) wedding

Ser Steffon Darklyn, a knight of the Kingsguard, stationed in Princess Rhaenyra's household on Dragonstone, burned to death by the dragon Seasmoke when attempting to become a dragonrider as the great-great-grandson of Aeriana Targaryen

Ser Arryk Cargyll, a knight of the Kingsguard from the age of 18, and identical twin to fellow kingsguard Ser Erryk, slain by his brother Ser Erryk when sent on a doomed mission to slay the Princess Rhaenyra on Dragonstone

Ser Erryk Cargyll, a knight of the Kingsguard from the age of 18, and identical twin to fellow kingsguard Ser Arryk, formerly Prince Aegon the Elder's sworn shield until the throne was usurped in the name of his unworthy charge, whereupon he freed Princess Rhaenys from unlawful confinement to leave King's Landing, breaking with his sworn brothers, including his twin brother Ser Arryk; a suicide who fell on his sword after being forced to slay his treasonous twin in defense of Queen Rhaenyra I

Ser Lorent Marbrand, a knight of the Kingsguard stationed in Princess Rhaenyra's household on Dragonstone [s01e10 captions]

Council, Kingsguard, and Allies of King Aegon II Targaryen

Ser Otto Hightower, Hand of the King to his grandson Aegon II, as he was to Kings Jaehaerys I and Viserys I before him, then dismissed from his post soon after the slaying of Prince Jaehaerys, captured by enemies after leaving court

Queen Alicent Hightower, adviser to her son Aegon II who ruled as regent alongside her father during the final years of the long illness of King Viserys I, dismissed from her council seat by her son Aemond, the Prince Regent

Lord Commander Criston Cole, called "the Kingmaker", Queen Alicent's most loyal protector after suffering from the treachery of his former charge, Princess Rhaenyra, promoted to Lord Commander of the Kingsguard after the death of Viserys I and the desertion of Ser Harrold Westerling, then named Hand of the King after Aegon II dismissed his grandfather, Ser Otto (also secret paramour of Queen Alicent in her widowhood until he left for war)

Prince Regent Aemond Targaryen, military adviser to his brother Aegon II, then named the Prince Regent during Aegon II's long convalescence after the king was tragically wounded on dragonback in the Battle of Rook's Rest

Grand Maester Orwyle, healer and adviser

Ser Tyland Lannister, Master of Ships for Viserys I, then Master of Coin for Aegon II, after the tragic, but accidental, death of the previous Master of Coin, sent by the Prince Regent to Essos to treat with the Triarchy so they could break the Velaryon blockade of King's Landing

Lord Jasper Wylde, called "Ironrod", Master of Laws

Lord Larys Strong, called "the Clubfoot" or "Larys Clubfoot", Master of Whisperers for Aegon II, formerly Lord Confessor at the Red Keep and close confidant/ally to Queen Alicent, convinced Aegon II to go into exile with him after the Pretender on Dragonstone found new dragonriders and the Prince Regent burned the town of Sharp Point

Ser Arryk Cargyll, a knight of the Kingsguard from the age of 18, remained loyal to Aegon II even after his identical twin Ser Erryk deserted his post, slain by his brother Ser Erryk when sent on a doomed mission to slay the Princess Rhaenyra on Dragonstone

Ser Leon Estermont, a loyal friend to Aegon II who called him Aegon "the Magnanimous", named to the Kingsguard soon after the slaying of Ser Arryk, presumably killed in the riot he helped escalate when guarding Queens Alicent and Helaena (as he was not present to be stripped of his white cloak with his fellows) [s02e01 captions]

Ser Martyn Reyne, another loyal friend to the true king Aegon II, named to the Kingsguard soon after the slaying of Ser Arryk, stripped of his white cloak and sent to the Night's Watch by the Prince Regent for failing to adequately protect Queens Alicent and Helaena during a riot he helped escalate [s02e01 captions]

Ser Eddard "Red Ned" Waters, another drinking companion of Aegon II named to the Kingsguard soon after the slaying of Ser Arryk, stripped of his white cloak and sent to the Night's Watch by the Prince Regent for failing to adequately protect Queens Alicent and Helaena during a riot he helped escalate [s02e03 captions]

Ser Rickard Thorne, a loyal knight of the Kingsguard [s02e06 captions]

Lord Jason Lannister, (slightly elder) twin brother of Ser Tyland, the first Lord Paramount to call his banners in support of Aegon II

-Lord Humfrey Lefford, a loyal westerman who hosted the Lannister forces on their way to the Riverlands [s02e06 captions]

Lord Borros Baratheon, betrothed his daughter to Prince Aemond to strengthen his ties to the true king

Lord Ormund Hightower, nephew of Ser Otto Hightower and cousin to Queen Alicent and her royal children, guardian of Prince Daeron Targaryen, commanding the Hightower forces in the Reach in the name of King Aegon II 

-Ser Gwayne Hightower, brother to Queen Alicent and uncle to King Aegon II, riding with Ser Criston Cole at the head of the royal army

House Bracken, first to do battle in the name of King Aegon II in the Battle of the Burning Mill, first battle of the succession conflict

-Lord Amos Bracken, defeated and killed the rebel Lord Samwell Blackwood in the Battle of the Burning Mill, then forced to bend the knee to the tyrant Prince Daemon after Bracken women and children were abducted by the heathen Blackwoods to be used as hostages

Lords Rosby and Stokeworth, renounced the monstrous kinslayer Rhaenyra the Cruel and declared for the true king after meeting Ser Criston with his army, then added their levies to his host

Council, Queensguard, and Allies of Queen Rhaenyra I Targaryen

Prince Daemon Targaryen, prince consort and commander of the royal armies in the riverlands

Lord Corlys Velaryon, former father-in-law to the Queen and commander of the royal fleet, named Hand of the Queen to Rhaenyra I after his wife's death

Princess Rhaenys Targaryen, "the Queen Who Never Was", cousin/former mother-in-law to the Queen, helped her husband's fleet blockade the sea lanes from the air on dragonback, then slain with her dragon in the Battle of Rook's Rest by Aemond One-Eye on Vhagar 

Prince Jacaerys Velaryon, Prince of Dragonstone and heir to the Iron Throne, sent as an envoy to the Eyrie and Winterfell, and later treated with the Freys of his own volition

Princess Baela Targaryen, intended future consort of her stepbrother/cousin, Jacaerys, Prince of Dragonstone 

Princess Rhaena Targaryen, royal cupbearer for her stepmother/cousin Queen Rhaenyra I, betrothed to her stepbrother/cousin Prince Lucerys until his untimely death, sent to the Vale as guardian of her younger brothers (and 4 dragon eggs) after a failed assassination attempt against Queen Rhaenyra I

Prince Lucerys Velaryon, intended heir to Lord Corlys Velaryon, sent as an envoy to Storm's End where he was rejected by Lord Borros Baratheon and then treacherously slain with his dragon by his half-uncle Aemond One-Eye

Addam of Hull, (unacknowledged bastard son of Lord Corlys Velaryon) bonded to the dragon Seasmoke after the dragon found him on Driftmark, formerly a shipwright in service to House Velaryon

Hugh Hammer, a baseborn maternal grandson of Jaehaerys I (cousin to Prince Daemon and Queen Rhaenyra I) who claimed the dragon Vermithor after the Queen invited Targaryen bastards to Dragonstone to join her forces

Ulf White, called "Ulf the Dragonlord", bastard son of Prince Baelon the Brave (and half-brother to King Viserys I and Prince Daemon, uncle to Rhaenyra I and her children) who bonded with the dragon Silverwing after the Queen invited Targaryen bastards to Dragonstone to join her forces

Maester Gerardys, healer and adviser who had been serving the household on Dragonstone for years

Lord Bartimos Celtigar, a loyal lord sworn to Dragonstone

Lord Simon Staunton, a loyal lord sworn to Dragonstone, left the council to defend his home of Rook's Rest after the usurper's army marched from King's Landing and presumably killed by Ser Criston Cole when his castle was sacked after the fall of Princess Rhaenys and her dragon Meleys

Lord Gormon Massey, answered Prince Daemon's call for fealty via raven and joined the council on Dragonstone [s02e03 captions]

Ser Alfred Broome, a veteran knight sworn to Dragonstone, sent to Harrenhal to learn the status of Prince Daemon's army [s02e02 captions]

Mysaria, called "the White Worm", former mistress of Prince Daemon during his first marriage, escaped to Dragonstone after her home in King's Landing was burned down on Hightower orders, helped Prince Daemon in his plan to slay a prince to avenge Prince Lucerys, saved the life of Queen Rhaenyra I by warning of the intrusion of Ser Arryk Cargyll, then officially joined the true Queen's court and helped her plan to meet in disguise with the Dowager Queen Alicent for a failed peace talk, becoming the Queen's most trusted confidante and advising her on behalf of the smallfolk

Ser Lorent Marbrand, a knight of the Queensguard already stationed with Rhaenyra I on Dragonstone [s01e10 captions]

Lord Commander Steffon Darklyn, a knight of the Queensguard already stationed with Rhaenyra I on Dragonstone, who had first taken his vows for Jaehaerys I and continued serving loyally through the reign of Viserys I, Lord of Comander of the Queensguard until he was burned to death by the dragon Seasmoke when attempting to become a dragonrider (at the invitation of Rhaenyra I) as the great-great-grandson of Aeriana Targaryen

Ser Erryk Cargyll, a knight of the Kingsguard from the age of 18, formerly Prince Aegon the Elder's sworn shield until the throne was usurped in the name of his unworthy charge, whereupon he freed Princess Rhaenys from unlawful confinement to leave King's Landing, breaking with his sworn brothers, including his twin brother Ser Arryk, then came to Dragonstone to join the Queensguard of Rhaenyra I and deliver her father's crown; a suicide who fell on his sword after being forced to slay his treasonous twin in defense of Queen Rhaenyra I

Lord Darklyn, lord of Duskendale and father of the Queensguard knight Ser Steffon Darklyn, answered Prince Daemon's call for fealty via raven, then beheaded by the dishonorable Kingmaker, Ser Criston Cole, after the Sack of Duskendale, killed for keeping his oath to Rhaenyra I

Lord Bar Emmon, another loyal lord in the Crownlands said to have answered Prince Daemon's call for fealty via raven, volunteered his nephew to serve as boatswain on the Sea Snake's flagship

Lord Mooton, commanded to retake Rook's Rest from the meager garrison left by the Usurper's Hand, Criston Cole the Kingmaker 

Lady Jeyne Arryn, a cousin of Rhaenyra I who pledged her support after treating with Prince Jacaerys, in exchange for a dragon to guard the Vale during war, then hosted Rhaena Targaryen and the younger sons of Queen Rhaenyra I

Lord Cregan Stark, promised a force of 2,000 veteran northerners to fight for the true Queen after treating with Prince Jacaerys

Lord Oscar Tully, Lord Paramount of the Riverlands who pledged all his banners to the cause of Rhaenyra I on condition that Prince Daemon serve justice to Willem Blackwood

House Blackwood, the first house to do battle in the name of Queen Rhaenyra I by fighting the Battle of the Burning Mill, first battle in the succession conflict

-Ser Willem Blackwood, a former suitor of Rhaenyra I who helped bring the treasonous Brackens to heel on the orders of Prince Daemon, beheaded by Prince Daemon at the behest of Lord Oscar Tully as punishment for his excesses against the innocent on Bracken lands

Ser Simon Strong, castellan of Harrenhal who surrendered to Prince Daemon and pledged fealty to Queen Rhaenyra I, helped reconcile the Queen and her consort by writing to her from Harrenhal, which she then visited with Addam of Hull

Lord Forrest Frey, bent the knee to Rhaenyra I after treating with Prince Jacaerys, in exchange for a promise of the future grant of Harrenhal at war's end

House Beesbury (and neighbors allied to them), waging war against the Usurper's forces in the Reach, as justice for Lord Lyman Beesbury, a councilor to Viserys I killed for opposing the Hightower treason

Dragons, courtiers, vassal lords, and other supporting characters

Balerion, "the Black Dread", a dragon House Targaryen brought from Valyria to Dragonstone and therefore the last surviving being to have known Valyria before its Doom after outliving several Targaryen partners; ridden by King Aegon I Targaryen during his Conquest and briefly ridden by King Viserys I Targaryen, who chose not to claim another dragon after Balerion's death and instead preserved his skull in memory

Syrax, the dark yellow she-dragon with orange-gold wing membranes and large dark yellow horns, ridden by Queen Rhaenyra I since childhood, named for a Valryian goddess

Caraxes, "the Blood Wyrm", Prince Daemon's red dragon, with an elongated neck, webbing between his legs, and a forked tail

Vhagar, "Queen of all Dragons", named for the Valryian god of war, the oldest and largest surviving dragon, a dark green she-dragon with dark orange wing membranes (with sagging jowls and multiple holes in her wings), ridden by King Aegon I's sister-wife Queen Visenya during their Conquest, next ridden by Prince Baelon the Brave (father of King Viserys I and Prince Daemon), then claimed by Lady Laena Velaryon at age 15, reluctantly burned Lady Laena with dragonfire at her command to save her from death in childbed, then claimed by Prince Aemond the night after Lady Laena's funeral, drew first royal blood in the Targaryen civil war when she killed the dragon Arrax and his rider Prince Lucerys, avenging the maiming of Prince Aemond, later killed the Queen Who Never Was and her dragon in the Battle of Rook's Rest 

Draemfyre, an older dark blue she-dragon who hatched during the Conqueror's lifetime, produced the egg which Princess Rhaenrya had chosen for the lost Prince Baelon, an egg later briefly stolen by Prince Daemon; claimed by Helaena Targaryen, though seldom ridden by her

Seasmoke, a silver dragon with pink spines and wing membranes originally bonded to Ser Laenor Velaryon, living on Driftmark and Dragonstone after the loss of his rider, then bonded to Addam of Hull, Ser Laenor's unacknowledged half-brother

Meleys, "the Red Queen", the scarlet-and-copper she-dragon crowned with grey horns and spikes down her neck, first claimed by Princess Alyssa (mother of King Viserys I and Prince Daemon), next ridden by Princess Rhaenys, "the Queen Who Never Was", who helped interrupt the coronation held in the Dragonpit for the usurper styled Aegon II; slain with her rider by Aemond One-Eye on Vhagar in the Battle of Rook's Rest

Vermithor, "the Bronze Fury", a great golden-brown dragon with a beard of grey horns, the second largest surviving dragon after Vhagar, living on Dragonstone but unclaimed since the death of his rider King Jaehaerys I, then claimed by Hugh Hammer, a baseborn maternal grandson of Vermithor's original rider

Silverwing, an older charcoal grey she-dragon with silver-blue wing membranes living on Dragonstone but unclaimed since the death of her rider Queen Alysanne, later bonded to Ulf White, alleged bastard grandson of her original rider

Vermax, the olive green dragon with orange horns, eyes, spines, and wing membranes bonded from birth to Prince Jacaerys

Sunfyre the Golden, a glittering golden dragon with peach head crest and wing membranes, bonded to Aegon the Elder from birth, grievously injured with his rider at the Battle of Rook's Rest, falling from the sky after fighting with Meleys and being caught in Vhagar's dragonfire, then left for dead outside Rook's Rest by Ser Criston Cole

Moondancer, the green striped dragon with tan wing membranes, a fin on the head, and partly-webbed tail, bonded from birth to Princess Baela

Arrax, the blue-grey dragon with red spines bonded from birth to Prince Lucerys, slain with his rider by Vhagar, ridden by Aemond One-Eye, in the skies outside Storm's End

Tessarion, "the Blue Queen", a blue she-dragon with orange wing membranes, bonded from birth to Prince Daeron 

Tyraxes, the young dragon bonded from birth to Prince Joffrey

Stormcloud, a dark blue-green dragon hatchling with cream underside and wing membranes, bonded to Prince Aegon the Younger from birth

Unnamed wild dragon, a brown adult dragon with splotches of a lighter brown and bones protruding from the wing joints, found by Rhaena Targaryen in the Vale, where he had roamed from Dragonstone to steal flocks of sheep

House Velaryon of Driftmark

-Lord Corlys Velaryon, called "the Sea Snake", (see council lists above), returned to war in the Stepstones after the loss of his son, where he took a grave wound which led to a succession challenge by his brother, then recovered in time to join the council of his daughter-in-law Queen Rhaenyra I, named Hand of the Queen to Rhaenyra I after his wife's death  m. Princess Rhaenys of House Targaryen, called "the Queen Who Never Was", slain with her dragon in the Battle of Rook's Rest by Prince Aemond on Vhagar 

• (see Targaryen family tree above)
  • Alyn of Hull, a loyal sailor serving House Velaryon (and unacknowledged bastard son of the Sea Snake by a female shipwright), who saved the life of Lord Corlys by retrieving him from the sea when he was grievously wounded by a corsair's dagger during his second war in the Stepstones, then appointed first mate on his lord's flagship

• Addam of Hull, brother to Alyn of Hull, formerly a shipwright serving House Velaryon (and unacknowledged bastard son of the Sea Snake by a female shipwright), gave up his service as shipwright after bonding with Seasmoke, Ser Laenor's former dragon

-Ser Vaemond Velaryon, Lord Corlys's younger brother, fought for his brother in Lord Velaryon's first Stepstones war, and unsuccessfully tried to challenge the succession to Driftmark (as the nearest Velaryon male kin of unimpeachable legitimate blood) after Lord Corlys took a grave wound in his second war against the Triarchy, then beheaded by Prince Daemon after speaking illegal truths to King Viserys I and Princess Rhaenyra

-Ser Joffrey Lonmouth, called "the Knight of Kisses", a knight who fought for House Velaryon in the Stepstones in Lord Corlys's first war there, also Ser Laenor's paramour until he was beaten to death by Ser Criston Cole on Ser Laenor's wedding day

-Ser Qarl Correy, a knight who fought in the Stepstones when war was renewed years after House Velaryon's and Prince Daemon's first victory there, Ser Laenor's paramour by the time of Prince Joffrey's birth, allegedly killed his patron shortly after Lady Laena's funeral, though in actuality he and Ser Laenor fled to Essos once another man was killed in his place, in a plot agreed to by Ser Laenor, Ser Qarl, Prince Daemon and Princess Rhaenyra, to facilitate her remarriage and Ser Laenor's freedom

-Maester Kelvyn, the healer and adviser serving House Velaryon, who treated the wounds of Prince Aemond and Princess Rhaenyra that were incurred the night after Lady Laena's funeral 

House Hightower of Oldtown

-Lord Hobert Hightower, presumably died sometime after attending Princess Rhaenyra's first wedding

• Lord Ormund Hightower, guardian of his royal cousin Prince Daeron Targaryen, commanding the Hightower forces in the Reach in the name of King Aegon II 

-Ser Otto Hightower, Lord Hobert's younger brother and twice Hand of the King to Viserys I, after serving King Jaehaerys I in his final days, then continued as Hand to his grandson Aegon II after the death of Viserys I, until he was dismissed by his royal grandson after the slaying of Prince Jaehaerys, then captured by enemies after leaving court m. Lady Alyrie of House Florent, died of natural causes not long before the death of Queen Aemma

• Ser Gwayne Hightower, Ser Otto's eldest son, arrived in King's Landing to fight for his nephew Aegon II soon after his father was dismissed in favor of Ser Criston Cole
  • Queen Alicent Hightower Targaryen, Ser Otto's daughter and childhood-friend-turned-enemy to Princess Rhaenyra, ruled as regent alongside her father during the final years of the long illness of King Viserys I (see council lists above) m. King Viserys I of House Targaryen, called "Viserys the Peaceful", died in his bed after a very long illness
    • (see Targaryen family tree above)

House Strong of Harrenhal

-Lord ? Strong, father of Lord Lyonel and elder brother of Ser Simon

• Lord Lyonel Strong, Hand of the King to Viserys I after Ser Otto's dismissal (see council list above), left to escort his heir back to Harrenhal, where they were both slain in a fire set by convicts working at the behest of his younger son
    • Ser Harwin Strong, called "Breakbones", Lord Lyonel's elder son, Commander of the City Watch (and Princess Rhaenyra's paramour) until shortly before his death, slain with his father at Harrenhal in a fire set by convicts working at the behest of his younger brother
      • (see Targaryen family tree above, sons listed under Ser Laenor Velaryon)
    • Lord Larys Strong, Lord Lyonel's younger son, crippled by a clubfoot, inherited Harrenhal after the tragic deaths of his father and elder brother, Master of Whisperers for Aegon II, formerly Lord Confessor at the Red Keep and close confidant/ally to Queen Alicent

-Ser Simon Strong, uncle to Lord Lyonel, castellan of Harrenhal who surrendered to Prince Daemon and pledged fealty to Queen Rhaenyra I, having no loyalty to Lord Larys Strong as a suspected kinslayer

• 3 sons (or grandsons?) of Ser Simon

-Alys Rivers, an illegitimate Strong of unclear parentage, and a suspected witch performing the duties of the castle maester after the last maester fled in the night

House Baratheon of Storm's End (maternal family of Princess Rhaenys Targaryen, "the Queen Who Never Was", and more distant kin to the rest of House Targaryen)

-Lord Boremund Baratheon, a proud supporter of his kinswoman "the Queen Who Never Was", hosted Princess Rhaenyra at Storm's End as she assessed prospective suitors, presumably died of natural causes some time after her visit

• Lord Borros Baratheon, son and heir to Lord Boremund, a loyal supporter of King Aegon II
    • Floris Baratheon, daughter of Lord Borros, betrothed to Prince Aemond
    • 3 other daughters

House Arryn of the Eyrie (maternal family of Queen Rhaenyra I Targaryen and more distant kin to the rest of House Targaryen)

-Lady Jeyne Arryn, ruling Lady of the Vale, a cousin of Rhaenyra I who pledged her support after treating with Prince Jacaerys, in exchange for a dragon to guard the Vale during war, then hosted Rhaena Targaryen and the younger sons of Queen Rhaenyra I

House Lannister of Casterly Rock

-Ceira Lannister, attended Queen Alicent's party during the royal hunt for Prince Aegon the Elder's 2nd name-day, exact relation to Lord Jason and Ser Tyland unclear (presumably their mother or perhaps unmarried aunt)

-Lord Jason Lannister, a failed suitor of Princess Rhaenyra and (slightly elder) twin of Ser Tyland

-Ser Tyland Lannister, Lord Jason's (slightly younger) twin and Master of Ships for King Viserys I after the Sea Snake's departure, who continued in loyal service to Aegon II (see council lists above), sent by the Prince Regent to Essos to treat with the Triarchy so they could break the Velaryon blockade of King's Landing, where he was invited to sire children upon all the wives of the Triarchy commander after proving his worth

House Stark of Winterfell 

-Lord Rickon Stark, presumably died of natural causes some time after swearing his oath to King Viserys I's chosen heir, once escorted King Jaehaerys I and Queen Alysanne to the Wall, which their dragons refused to cross

• Lord Cregan Stark, promised a force of 2,000 veteran northerners to fight for Queen Rhaenyra I after treating with Prince Jacaerys

House Tully of Riverrun

-Lord Grover Tully, a lord so aged and infirm that his heir was already ruling the riverlands in his place years before the death of Viserys I, said to be unable to speak or control his bowels by the time of the Targaryen civil war, finally succumbed to his long illness after being tended in his final hours by Alys Rivers of Harrenhal

• ? Tully, former heir to Riverrun who died young, son of Lord Grover and father of Lord Oscar (presumably the heir serving as acting lord years before the death of Viserys I)
    • Lord Oscar Tully, young heir to Riverrun, loyal to his lord grandfather who raised him after the loss of his father, succeeded as Lord Paramount of the Riverlands after Lord Grover's tragic passing then pledged the riverlands to the cause of Rhaenyra I on condition that Prince Daemon serve justice to Willem Blackwood

House Martell of Sunspear (ruling in Dorne, a region only nominally claimed by the Iron Throne in this time)

-Prince Qoren Martell, ruling prince of Dorne, allied with the Triarchy when they re-emerged to renew war against Westerosi ships in the Stepstones 

House Greyjoy of Pyke

-Lord Dalton Greyjoy, called "the Red Kraken", a young lord considered by the council of Aegon II for the position of Master of Ships

House Beesbury of Honeyholt

-Lord Lyman Beesbury (see council list above), became the first bloodshed in the Targaryen succession conflict when he was killed by Ser Criston Cole in the first council meeting after the death of Viserys I for remaining loyal to the will of his king and opposing the treason of his fellow councilors

House Blackwood of Raventree Hall

-Lord Samwell Blackwood, a casualty of the Battle of the Burning Mill against (neighbor/ancient rival) House Bracken, the first battle in the succession conflict

• Lord Benjicot Blackwood, a child lord after the loss of his father in the Battle of the Burning Mill

-Ser Willem Blackwood, a former suitor of Rhaenyra I before her first marriage, having killed a Bracken while vying for her hand, later regent for his young nephew Lord Benjicot after the death of Lord Samwell in the Battle of the Burning Mill and helped bring the treasonous Brackens to heel on the orders of Prince Daemon, beheaded by Prince Daemon at the behest of Lord Oscar Tully as punishment for his alleged excesses against the innocent on Bracken lands

-Davos Blackwood, a Blackwood who fought against the Brackens moving boundary stones, an argument which grew into the Battle of the Burning Mill where he was among the casualties of the first battle in the succession conflict, exact relation to Lord Samwell unknown [s02e03 captions]

House Bracken of Stone Hedge

-Lord Amos Bracken, defeated and killed the rebel Lord Samwell Blackwood in the Battle of the Burning Mill (and sent Lord Samwell's head back home to his brother Ser Willem), then forced to bend the knee to the tyrant Prince Daemon after Bracken women and children were abducted by the heathen Blackwoods to be used as hostages

-Ser Aeron Bracken, said to be a nephew of Lord Bracken, a casualty of the Battle of the Burning Mill against (neighbor/ancient rival) House Blackwood, the first battle in the succession conflict, after being accused by Davos Blackwood of moving boundary stones [s02e03 captions]

House Frey of the Crossing

-Lord Forrest Frey, bent the knee to Rhaenyra I after treating with Prince Jacaerys, in exchange for a promise of the future grant of Harrenhal at war's end

Lords ? Piper and ? Darry, riverlords who went to Harrenhal to complain to Prince Daemon of the excesses of Ser Willem Blackwood committed under the royal banner [s02e05 captions]

House Reyne of Castamere

-Ser Martyn Reyne, a loyal friend to Aegon II, named to his Kingsguard soon after the slaying of Ser Arryk Cargyll, then stripped of his white cloak and sent to the Night's Watch by the Prince Regent for failing to adequately protect Queens Alicent and Helaena during a riot 

House Lefford of the Golden Tooth

-Lord Humfrey Lefford, a loyal westerman who hosted the Lannister forces on their way to the Riverlands to do battle with the forces of Prince Daemon [s02e06 captions]

House Royce of Runestone

-Rhea Royce Targaryen, heiress to Runestone until her untimely death m. Prince Daemon of House Targaryen, who failed to consummate the marriage and later killed the Lady Rhea by smashing his wife's skull in with a rock after startling her horse and causing her to fall

-Ser Gerold Royce, a cousin to the Lady Rhea who suspects Prince Daemon's hand in her death

House Redwyne of the Arbor

-Ser Ryam Redwyne, legendary knight and Lord Commander of the Kingsguard for Viserys I until he died in his sleep of an illness

-Joselyn Redwyne, attended Queen Alicent's party during the royal hunt for Prince Aegon the Elder's 2nd name-day, exact relation to Ser Ryam unclear

House Caron

-Ser Royce Caron

• Ser Desmond Caron, Ser Royce's son, a lauded tourney knight who brought a would-be poacher to justice in the Kingswood on his way to King's Landing, where he was rejected by Princess Rhaenyra for a spot in the Kingsguard in favor of Ser Criston Cole

House Mallister of Seagard

-Lord Lymond Mallister

• Ser Rymun Mallister, Lord Lymond's son, knighted at 18, victor of the melee at Cider Hall, where he was the last mounted of a group of 23 knights, rejected by Princess Rhaenyra for a spot in the Kingsguard in favor of Ser Criston Cole

-Lady ? Mallister, went with other riverlords to Harrenhal to complain to Prince Daemon of the excesses of Ser Willem Blackwood committed under the royal banner, then after Oscar Tully succeeded as Lord Paramount and called his banners helped convince him to serve justice to Willem Blackwood, exact relation to Lord Lymond and Ser Rymun unknown [s02e07 captions]

House Dondarrion of Blackhaven

-Lord Beric Dondarrion, a failed suitor of Princess Rhaenyra who was old enough to have met Queen Alysanne, and presumably the same Lord Dondarrion that Ser Criston Cole's father served as steward

-Ser Arlan Dondarrion, the man who knighted Ser Criston Cole during their campaigns in the Dornish Marches, exact relation to Lord Beric unknown

House Caswell

-Lord Allun Caswell, a supporter of Princess Rhaenyra who was among the first to congratulate her and Ser Laenor upon the birth of Prince Joffrey, hanged as a traitor on the orders of Ser Otto Hightower, after swearing a false oath of fealty to the usurper Aegon II and then attempting to flee the Red Keep

House Swann

-Johanna Swann, captured by the Crabfeeder's men when one of Lord Swann's ships was attacked, rumored to have been sold to a pleasure house in Essos

House Darklyn of Duskendale 

-Lord ? Darklyn, answered Prince Daemon's call for fealty via raven, then beheaded by the dishonorable Kingmaker, Ser Criston Cole, after the Sack of Duskendale, killed for keeping his oath to Rhaenyra I

• Ser Steffon Darklyn, a knight of the Queensguard already stationed with Rhaenyra I on Dragonstone, who had first taken his vows for Jaehaerys I and continued serving loyally through the reign of Viserys I, Lord Commander of the Queensguard until he was burned to death by the dragon Seasmoke when attempting to become a dragonrider (at the invitation of Rhaenyra I) as the great-great-grandson of Aeriana Targaryen

House Staunton of Rook's Rest

-Lord Simon Staunton (see council list above), left the council of Rhaenyra I to defend his home of Rook's Rest after the army of Aegon II marched from King's Landing and presumably killed by Ser Criston Cole when his castle was sacked after the fall of Princess Rhaenys and her dragon Meleys

House Massey

-Lord Gormon Massey, (see council list above)

-Elinda Massey, a handmaiden serving Queen Rhaenyra I, in King's Landing and Dragonstone, before and after her ascension, exact relation to Lord Gormon unclear, sent back to King's Landing at the behest of the Lady Mysaria to act as the Queen's liason with the smallfolk

-Emmon Massey, younger brother of Elinda, sent to study at the Citadel by their father [s02e03 dialogue]

House Stokeworth of Stokewoth

-Elinor Stokeworth, Lord Stokeworth's daughter, betrothed to a son of Lord Massey squiring for House Tarly; meant to wed after the said squire earned his knighthood though it's rumored Lady Elinor was already with child

House Bar Emmon of Sharp Point (a harbor town burned by Aemond One-Eye in wrath after learning of the 3 new dragonriders on Dragonstone)

-Lord ? Bar Emmon, said to have answered Prince Daemon's call for fealty via raven and volunteered his nephew to serve as boatswain on the Sea Snake's flagship

House Mooton of Maidenpool

-Lord ? Mooton, commanded by Rhaenyra I to retake Rook's Rest from the meager garrison left by the Usurper's Hand, Criston Cole the Kingmaker 

Mysaria, "the White Worm", a former slave from a foreign homeland and Prince Daemon's chosen paramour during his first marriage, worked at a pleasure house until she changed professions to become a mistress of informers, escaped to Dragonstone after her house was burned down on the orders of Larys Strong and officially joined the court of Rhaenyra I after helping to save her life, becoming the Queen's closest confidante and adviser on behalf of the smallfolk

-Jayne, a denizen of King's Landing working for Mysaria who helped the Kingsguard and the King's Hand find King Aegon II after his father's death [s01e09 captions]

Septa Marlow, governess and tutor to Princess Rhaenyra (and Alicent Hightower?)

Randyll Barret, a captain in the City Watch under Prince Daemon's command, helping sentence accused criminals to summary justice [s01e01 captions]

Samwell, Princess Rhaenyra's favorite bard

Howland Sharp, a royal huntsman [s01e03 captions]

Ser Addam, a knight of the royal household sent as a messenger to Prince Daemon on the Stepstones where he was beaten by the Prince upon arrival

Captain Oswin, captain of Princess Rhaenyra's ship on her failed tour to choose a husband

Annora, an unseen servant of Princess Rhaenyra's 

Talya, a handmaiden serving Queen Alicent, and an informer reporting to Mysaria, presumably killed by Larys Strong when he purged Queen Alicent's household of traitors

Eddard, a servant helping King Viserys I with his model of Old Valyria

Dyana, a servant in the household of Prince Aegon/Princess Helaena, dismissed from service after the Prince forced himself on her, then found work at a tavern in King's Landing frequented by the alleged royal bastard Ulf, later helped Mysaria spread subtle propaganda for the cause of Rhaenyra I after being visited by Elinda Massey

Septon Eustace, the royal septon who anointed King Aegon II and presided over his coronation [s01e09 captions]

Madam Sylvi, proprietor of an upscale brothel on the Street of Silk, helped initiate Prince Aemond into manhood on his 13th nameday and comforted him in the days after his slaying of his nephew Lucerys, later helped Dyana spread Mysaria's propaganda for the cause of Rhaenyra I [s02e02 captions]

Jerard, a farmer in the Crownlands who futilely petitioned King Aegon II for the return of sheep which had been tithed for dragonfeed

Hugh Hammer, a blacksmith in King's Landing formerly making weapons for King Aegon II, until he answered the call of Rhaenyra I for Targaryen bastards to become dragonriders as a baseborn grandson of Jaehaerys I through his mother, who worked in a brothel, and successfully claimed his royal grandfather's former dragon, Vermithor

Kat, wife of Hugh and mother of their daughter, who died of an illness after Prince Aemond ordered the city gates closed, also sister of a man living in Tumbleton [s02e02 captions]

Ulf White, called "Ulf the Dragonlord", alleged royal bastard of Prince Baelon the Brave and half-brother to Prince Daemon and King Viserys I, answered the call of Rhaenyra I for Targaryen bastards to become dragonriders and bonded with his royal grandmother's former dragon, Silverwing

Cley, a drinking companion of Ulf who urged him to answer the call of Rhaenyra I for Targaryen bastards to become dragonriders [s02e03 captions]

Mujja, another drinking companion of Ulf who urged him to answer the call of Rhaenyra I for Targaryen bastards to become dragonriders [s02e07 captions]

Across the Narrow Sea

Craghas Drahar, "the Crabfeeder" and self-styled "Prince-Admiral of the Triarchy" (said to be a Myrish princeling with quiet support from the Free Cities), making war on the Stepstones islands against pirates and later progressing to attacking Westerosi ships and feeding their sailors to crabs, eventually killed by Prince Daemon after years of war

Prince Reggio Haratis, the Prince of Pentos, host to Prince Daemon and Lady Laena at the time of her death, and years later agreed to host the youngest sons of Queen Rhaenyra I during the Targaryen civil war, after Princess Rhaena wrote to him from the Vale

Admiral Sharako Lohar, Lyseni commander of the Triarchy's armada by the time of the Targaryen civil war, agreed to break the Velaryon blockade of King's Landing after the royal ambassador, Tyland Lannister, proved himself worthy

Edited by Lady S.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 7
  • Applause 5
  • Useful 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
On 8/23/2022 at 3:00 AM, CuriousParker said:

How about we add a small picture beside each name?  If you want me to do it, just let me know.

I’d love that. I’m terrible at names, but I never forget a face, so it would definitely help me keep them all straight.

• Love 3
On 8/23/2022 at 8:48 PM, all fall down said:

Thank you for this!

Wouldn't Baelon and Alyssa be Uncle/Niece not brother/sister?

They're brother and sister. Alyssa's paragraph above is formatted so it looks like she's Aemon's daughter but she's Jahaerys and Alysanne's daughter.

9 hours ago, ferjy said:

I’d love that. I’m terrible at names, but I never forget a face, so it would definitely help me keep them all straight.

The repetitiveness and similarity of Targaryen names is enough to confuse anybody! 

On 8/27/2022 at 7:11 AM, kassandra8286 said:

They're brother and sister. Alyssa's paragraph above is formatted so it looks like she's Aemon's daughter but she's Jahaerys and Alysanne's daughter.

The repetitiveness and similarity of Targaryen names is enough to confuse anybody! 

Thank you. That makes more sense now I know it's just formatted wrong. 

• Love 1

I don’t understand the writers’ choice to use the same names over and over and/or their predilection for very similar-sounding names. It makes it very difficult for the viewer to understand who’s who and why certain pairings and alliances are good or bad.

I suppose I can handwave that the repeated use of ae, rh, and ys is part of the Targaryen culture, but what is with the use of Joffrey? It seems needlessly confusing, not to mention that Joffrey is a Lannister/Baratheon name (plus the automatic association with a psychopath).

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Shermie said:

I don’t understand the writers’ choice to use the same names over and over and/or their predilection for very similar-sounding names. It makes it very difficult for the viewer to understand who’s who and why certain pairings and alliances are good or bad.

I suppose I can handwave that the repeated use of ae, rh, and ys is part of the Targaryen culture, but what is with the use of Joffrey? It seems needlessly confusing, not to mention that Joffrey is a Lannister/Baratheon name (plus the automatic association with a psychopath).

Larnor’s murdered boyfriend was ‘joffrey’. Larnor named him. 

• Like 2
(edited)
On 10/16/2022 at 9:03 PM, Affogato said:

Yeah, Alicent comments that it's "an odd choice" for a Targ/Velaryon kid. And while non-Valyrian families do repeat names too (like the Starks with all their Brandons), I don't think any non-Valyrian name is just for one or two families. Rather that there would be common names across a region and across neighboring regions. For example, in GoT, Theon Greyjoy killed Ser Rodrik Cassel, but one of his dead elder brothers was also named Rodrik. Or how Ned renamed his nephew/adopted son Jon, which was almost certainly an homage to foster father Jon Arryn, the man who raised Ned as if he were his own son.

Edited by Lady S.
  • Love 3
On 10/16/2022 at 10:03 PM, Affogato said:

I know that. That’s my point. Why did the writers choose that name for that random character? Surely there are more names out there for them to use than one that’s already been used for a major GoT character. It’s annoying that the same names keep turning up.

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, Shermie said:

I know that. That’s my point. Why did the writers choose that name for that random character? Surely there are more names out there for them to use than one that’s already been used for a major GoT character. It’s annoying that the same names keep turning up.

I advise you to never look up English monarchs and royal lines, heh. Williams, Georges and Henrys abound by the dozen.

• Like 1
  • LOL 4
3 hours ago, SilverStormm said:

I advise you to never look up English monarchs and royal lines, heh. Williams, Georges and Henrys abound by the dozen.

As well as Edwards and Richards. 

If I can keep all those straight (and I did for my British history course), then I can definitely keep the HotD crew straight. The spelling...ehhh.

• Like 5
  • Love 1
On 8/22/2022 at 6:41 PM, Lady S. said:

Ser Erryk Cargyll, a knight of the Kingsguard and identical twin to fellow kingsguard Ser Arryk, formerly Prince Aegon the Elder's sworn shield until the throne was usurped in the name of his unworthy charge

I'm glad we're not using value judgments on a thread whose purpose is to identify characters. 😉

But the real reason I posted was to say that I would have been OK if the writers had named one of the Cargylls Joe and the other Steve since TV is a visual medium.

On 10/18/2022 at 8:06 AM, Shermie said:

Because that is the name of the character in the books that this show is based on. For whatever reason they decided not to change any of the characters names that were created by George RR Martin.

• Applause 1
(edited)
On 10/18/2022 at 10:10 PM, Constantinople said:

I'm glad we're not using value judgments on a thread whose purpose is to identify characters. 😉

Only the same value judgment Erryk himself made to his brother in the child-fighting pit. Look at my descriptions of Aemond's eye loss on his entry vs. Luke's. I did the same thing on the GoT guide listing Robert as the Usurper in all the Targ entries and Joffrey as a bastard in the Stark ones. This technique only really got sticky with listing the official Bolton lines in their entries, but still.

I did have to break into the book wiki to look up which Cargyll twin was loyal to which monarch. Even the subtitles can't keep them straight when identifying them and it doesn't help that the names sound exactly the same to my ears. I'll give ol' Otto credit for somehow correctly and confidently identifying Erryk when sending him out in ep. 9. Way too cutesy in this case, GRRM.

Edited by Lady S.
On 10/18/2022 at 8:14 AM, SilverStormm said:

And going back further, to the real life people that the characters of The Last Kingdom are based on - Aethelflaed married Aethelred, there's Aelswith and Aelfwynn... Uhtred's father was Uhtred and his brother was Uhtred, and he was actually Osbert, but renamed and rebaptized Uhtred when Uhtred the brother died...  Then Uhtred's first son is named Uhtred and his second son is Osbert, not to be confused with Osferth the Baby Monk...

These types of nomenclatures are everywhere in this genre.

• Like 5
On 11/2/2022 at 9:08 AM, FnkyChkn34 said:

And going back further, to the real life people that the characters of The Last Kingdom are based on - Aethelflaed married Aethelred, there's Aelswith and Aelfwynn... Uhtred's father was Uhtred and his brother was Uhtred, and he was actually Osbert, but renamed and rebaptized Uhtred when Uhtred the brother died...  Then Uhtred's first son is named Uhtred and his second son is Osbert, not to be confused with Osferth the Baby Monk...

These types of nomenclatures are everywhere in this genre.

I thought about the watching the Last Kingdom. I have to finish the Peaky Blinders.

Rickon and Dickon Wow I just can't keep up with these names lol

• LOL 1