Type keyword(s) to search

East New York in the Media: The 411 on the 7-4

• Start Topic

CBS renewed a bunch of shows and East New York was not one of them. That's not great news. Luckily, East New York is at least ahead of SWAT in the ratings, but it's definitely very possible that East New York will not get a second season. That would suck. 

• Sad 5

‘Blue Bloods‘, ’S.W.A.T.’ & ‘East New York’ Did Not Get Early Renewals By CBS – Here Is Why

East New York is a classic bubble series and will likely have to wait for CBS brass to see how new midseason entry True Lies performs in the coming weeks and to review the two drama pilots before they make a decision on the police drama starring Amanda Warren.

Edited by SnazzyDaisy

A 0.26 in the target demo doesn't make a favorable decision any easier. Those are not good numbers, in fact ENY is the lowest of the big four networks in the 9pm timeslot, with Idle American trouncing it by more than double, and Magnum P.I. beating it solidly. Even a cartoon show on Fox is beating it. That can't be a good sign.

image.png.1745e5519d44b0447e13cf0f2fe70b21.png

• Sad 1

That it is not a CBS-owned show is obviously also a demerit against it, but the fact that it is owned by one of the powerhouse studios out there (Warner Bros. TV) means it at least has a CHANCE of getting picked up by another network if CBS passes on a Season 2 (while if it was owned by CBS fully and wasn't renewed, it'd be totally screwed). Sony, of course, is the best studio to be owned by when it comes to shopping to another network, as Sony REALLY pushes its shows hard. 

• Like 1

I hope CBS renews it. It's by far my favorite procedural shot in NYC, and it's one of the few procedurals where POC are most of the leads and recurring cast.

• Like 5
  • Love 1

I love this show. It's a police show that takes a more nuanced view of cops-- it's not pure copaganda. They show respect for procedure but they don't pretend all cops are heroes or that there isn't corruption and conflicts within the force. I also think the actress who plays Regina is fantastic.

• Like 4

CBS Renewal Status Report: ‘Blue Bloods’, ‘S.W.A.T.’, ‘East New York’ & ‘True Lies’

[excerpts from the article]

For cop drama East New York, starring Amanda Warren, in addition to the ubiquitous budget trims, I hear there is an additional business issue that has stalled renewal negotiations. I hear it has to do with additional streaming rights CBS has requested for the series, produced by Warner Bros. TV. I hear they go beyond the now-standard stacking, which allows networks to stream current season of their series on their digital platforms.

Season 1 episodes of East New York are on Paramount+. According to sources, the ask is for previous seasons also to be made available on the Paramount Global platform — on a non-exclusive basis, I hear. This has become a hurdle as it further erodes the amount of rights a third-party studio controls.

• Useful 3
10 hours ago, Aaron4102 said:

In the realm of “just because you’re paranoid, doesn’t mean they’re not out to get you”…

Did anyone else here read the comments posted at the ends of both articles and wonder if they were at least in part generated by AI bots? 
—especially the syntax in too many of the TvLine comments.

• Like 2
(edited)

I just read about the cancellation while watching the finale. Are you kidding me?! There's so little on network television worth watching and one show that is gets canceled over streaming bullshit? I hate this world.

Edited by OLynn33
  • Like 5
  • Fire 1
  • Applause 1

I just came to watch this show and I love it.  I cannot believe it got cancelled. I really hope they do a "Last Man Standing" thing and get a new home.  This show deserves it.

• Like 4
(edited)

I wonder if the show could have been picked up by a streaming service if the writers strike wasn't on right now.
I think there were a few off-the-bubble shows like that during that last strike too that might have possibly gotten picked up otherwise.
I'm not criticizing the strikers. One of my former coworker librarians left to take a job with a union and got paid at least closer to what she was worth.

ETA—. 
Progress on the strike?:   
deadline.com/2023/06/sag-aftra-contract-talks-extremely-productive-remain-optimistic-fair-deal-1235423767

Edited by shapeshifter