Type keyword(s) to search

Deep Blue Sea (1999)

Hiyo
  • Start Topic

You have to admire a movie that kills of Samuel Jackson half-way through the movie while he is giving an inspirational "Samuel Jackson" style speech. Overall, good schlocky fun that is better than it has any right to be.

(edited)

I loved this movie. I remember reading somewhere that the test audiences didn't like that Saffron Burrows character survived so they changed the ending so that she sacrificed herself 

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Mind Blown 1
(edited)
13 hours ago, Hiyo said:

Interesting. I kind of liked her character.

So did I. I'm glad it was her and not LL Cool J as was originally planned, and I know she was ultimately responsible for everything, but it's not like she was some cold-hearted Corrupt Corporate Executive who thoroughly deserved to die. She sincerely believed in what she was doing and actually HAD made legitimate progress in her research.

Edited by Dr.OO7
  • Useful 1
28 minutes ago, Dr.OO7 said:

So did I. I'm glad it was her and LL Cool J as was originally planned, and I know she was ultimately responsible for everything,

Was the original plan to have Saffron and LL survive and Thomas Jane die? Or all 3 were to survive?  

When I first watched it I kind of figured it was a Frankenstein Monster type story, so the monster/dr dying together made sense. I didn't even know about the original plan to many years later.

Was the original plan to have Saffron and LL survive and Thomas Jane die? Or all 3 were to survive?  

All 3, maybe?

This is a deleted scene posted on the wiki page:

Deep_Blue_Sea_1999_deleted_shot.jpg

I missed a word in my earlier post, it should have read NOT LL Cool J. As far as I know, he was supposed to die, but test audiences loved him and hated Saffron's character to the point of screaming "Die, bitch!" at the screen.

8 minutes ago, Dr.OO7 said:

I missed a word in my earlier post, it should have read NOT LL Cool J. As far as I know, he was supposed to die, but test audiences loved him and hated Saffron's character to the point of screaming "Die, bitch!" at the screen.

I normally hate it when filmmakers re-edit their work due to test audience feedback, but sometimes those ordinary people are correct.  From what I can remember about the movie, LL's character is the everyman thrust into a situation that goes to pot through no fault of his own.  This is the character who is supposed to survive, not the scientist who's responsible for the shit that just happened.

• Applause 2
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, Hiyo said:

All 3, maybe?

This is a deleted scene posted on the wiki page:

Deep_Blue_Sea_1999_deleted_shot.jpg

Oh wow. Glad they didn't go with that ending, way too cliche 

5 hours ago, Dr.OO7 said:

missed a word in my earlier post, it should have read NOT LL Cool J. As far as I know, he was supposed to die, but test audiences loved him and hated Saffron's character to the point of screaming "Die, bitch!" at the screen.

Oh yeah if it was a choice between those Two...bye bye Saffron. LL was awesome in that movie. I would have even traded Saffron for the 🦜 

• Applause 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2

Oh wow. Glad they didn't go with that ending, way too cliche 

Yeah, especially since they didn't seem that into each other during the movie. Had she survived, it would have been ok if they hinted at a future hook-up.

the scientist who's responsible for the shit that just happened.

To be fair, if it wasn't for the storm, much of the movie would have turned out differently...

• Like 1

This is one of my favorite mindless movies to watch. I'll never, ever turn it off (same with Twister and The Day After Tomorrow). I remember being horrified at Jim's (Stellan Skarsgård) death and then how Janice died. To be fair, (to be fair), I had to look up character names. This movie wasn't just a shark movie, it was a horror movie. One of the few that I will watch.

• Love 1

I enjoyed this one as well. I know it shouldn’t be funny but I always laugh when Sam Jackson is giving his rile them up rara we are going to survive speech and the shark jumps out of the pool mid speech and snatches him into oblivion. Lol. Thomas Jane’s character had warned him not to stand so close to the pool unfortunately he didn’t listen. 

I too am glad the ending was changed. Saffron’s character started out with the best of intentions but you know what they say about that leading to hell and that’s exactly what happened. I think things would’ve eventually gone to hell whether the storm happened or not. The sharks were getting smarter by the day. Eventually they would’ve started attacking the compound and would’ve tried to get their freedom. 

• Love 1
(edited)

I’m watching this, and had to look up one of the actresses.  I thought she looked like Rebecca Ferguson.  
I remember watching this for the first time, and guessing who was going to survive (with my family).  Preach was a must. :) 

Edited by Anela
On 6/19/2022 at 8:27 PM, Enero said:

I know it shouldn’t be funny but I always laugh when Sam Jackson is giving his rile them up rara we are going to survive speech and the shark jumps out of the pool mid speech and snatches him into oblivion.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure everyone thinks that's funny.

And a terrible visual effect.

This movie is a guilty pleasure of mine.  I love everything about this movie.  Even though I am terrified of sharks, for some reason, I love shark movies.  Especially shark movies where there is an underwater base.

"Aliens" is one of my top two favourite movies, so I always thought of this movie as "Aliens" with sharks.  It was good mindless fun, filled with suspense and trying to figure out who was going to die next.

On 6/15/2022 at 9:11 AM, Dr.OO7 said:

So did I. I'm glad it was her and not LL Cool J as was originally planned, and I know she was ultimately responsible for everything, but it's not like she was some cold-hearted Corrupt Corporate Executive who thoroughly deserved to die. She sincerely believed in what she was doing and actually HAD made legitimate progress in her research.

I agree she wasn't a horrible person, but her actions directly led to the monster sharks, and karma required that she was going to die.  Innocent people already died because of her.

I thought it was particularly interesting that the two least educated characters, LL Cool J the cook and Thomas Jane the shark wrangler, were the only ones who survived.

There were two direct-to-dvd sequels, with new casts, that were released just a few years ago, about 20 years after the original.  Nowhere near as good as the original, but still, they are shark movies that I found entertaining.

I'm also wondering if there will ever be a sequel to "The Meg".  There are multiple books in the the series so there is plenty of source material.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, Hiyo said:

The terrible visual effects are part of the movie's charm.

True, there are 2 or 3 that stand out to me even though it's been years since I saw it. Sam Jackson,  Michael Rappaport and when the shark kind of throws Stellan Skarsgard at the glass observation room to crack it.