Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E05: Honeymoon

AntFTW
  • Start Topic

(edited)

Martha finally speaks out, putting a strain on her marriage. The FBI comes closer to an answer on the real story behind Watergate and John Dean is forced to come clean to Mo on their Camp David honeymoon.

Air Date: May 22, 2022

Edited by AntFTW

The watergate break in happened literally the night before my wedding. We spent most of our first year of marriage watching and listening to the hearings. I think this series is doing a terrific job of bringing those days to life. 

The incredible bumbling and stupidity of all the President’s men is at once hilarious and horrifying. The meeting in the Oval Office with John Mitchell and the 4 stooges, where they try to get him to take all the responsibility on tape, was just perfect. 

G Gordon Liddy’s inspiring anecdote about his nanny invoking Hitler while his wife looks on adoringly is another. 

Some really great moments all along. The curiously adult daughter, Jeb Magruder’s stress peeing, and Maureen Dean managing her husband’s Michael Cohening are all great fun. 

I wish more people were watching this. 

• Love 11

The pregnant wife was a hoot. 

I have vague childhood/teenage memories of Liddy as a media figure after he got out of prison. He was crazy, and I remembered the hand over the flame thing being his calling card... but I never appreciated these levels of insanity and that they carried over into his personal life. 

• Love 3

Geeze, calling the last presidency 'Stupid Watergate' really undervalued the stupidity of the Nixon administration.

This episode was my favorite so far, and Sean Penn finally showed up and was more than padding and prosthetic jowls. When Martha crossed her legs and refused to speak to Winnie, I flashed back to a petulant Shelby refusing her juice.

Kudos to Shea Whigham for his portrayal of Liddy.

• Love 2

I remember watching Dean testify (ya I’m that old).  Hearing Mo explain how she could present herself however she needed and that she could teach him.  Well I don’t want to spoil it but suddenly what I and the rest of the world saw makes so much sense.  I was watching the characterization of Dean leading up to this episode and wondering how this could be the same man I saw testify.  Now I know.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
9 minutes ago, Kim0820 said:

At Camp David with a remote for the TV.  I was around then. I think that was a mistake. No remotes then. Get up and change the channel.   

Remotes existed. They were only power on, channel and volume up/down, but they were around. We had a zenith that had one.

• Love 1

Ok. But another one. Wedding cake smashing. My parents dragged us to many family weddings in the 70s. That was not done. Maybe around the 90s before that became a thing. 

• Useful 1
On 5/24/2022 at 9:37 PM, kassa said:

I have vague childhood/teenage memories of Liddy as a media figure after he got out of prison.

The prison visit with Liddy and his boys was hilarious talking about his nanny Frau Theresa, with the older one's face saying, "Hold on! Dad isn't bigging up Adolph Hitler?!!"

• Love 1

Wedding cake eating was a thing- I have a pic of my parents doing it in 1958. Not a stretch to imagine some young ones making it up in 1973. It’s not really a hugely original idea. I went to at least one 80s wedding where it was done so.. “doing things I used to do… they think are new…”

On 6/11/2022 at 9:46 PM, Kim0820 said:

At Camp David with a remote for the TV.  I was around then. I think that was a mistake. No remotes then. Get up and change the channel.   

Archie Bunker had a remote.

This episode in my opinion strayed too far into farcical stupiddom. Magruder's wife gets into the FBI car and makes off with their pizza? Mitchell gets into a physical scuffle at his daughter's boarding school tour?

I've come to expect, as I'm told, that some stuff is fictionalized, but now I'm beginning to wonder if any of it is fact-based. And they totally lost me when they started playing very modern music instead of era-appropriate.