Type keyword(s) to search

The Food of Hannibal

It seems like a lot work for what it is, especially when he dines alone. I find Seamless is a pretty responsive company so maybe if he suggested it, they will add a Cannibal section and he could order in on those busy nights.

• Love 2

I do some of my fanciest cooking when it's just me, but a lot of that is because I a) have very different tastes from the rest of my family, and b) am not the primary chef, so I'm not utterly sick of cooking when I do it. Cooking for everyone means I'll whip up a quick pasta carbonara or pork chops with apples, or maybe a slightly fancier chicken pot pie or beef stew. But when it's just me, that's when I get to indulge in real fancy cookery. That's when the palak paneer with homemade cheese comes out, and the herb-crusted lamb chops, and the rabbit pie that takes two days. I'm looking forward to the next time the rest of the family is out of town for a few days; I've had a duck in the freezer for a while now.

• Love 1

Okay, foodies, seriously, what the heck is this shiz?

CZNsdvd.jpg

A gently fried guinea fowl claw embedded in a fig newton? A wilted, braised celery skeleton super glued to a shortbread cookie? I am captivated by this!

Is this a real thing? Or is this just the twisted idea cooked up (hardy har...sigh) by the art department?

• Love 1

Thanks! Like an idiot, I managed to read the thread backwards, completely missing the linked blog in the first post. Go me.

However, I have since been happily absorbed in said blog (good thing I didn't need to be productive this evening...)

I must wonder how one is supposed to navigate that particular hors d'oeuvre, though - does one use the squab leg as sort of a toothpick and just slurp the tiny morsel of meat and sinew from it (along with the giant mouthful of fig), or does one just knaw on the bones for a bit, too?  Alas, no squab leg recipe in the blog!

Also, for those who enjoy tartare, have you ever actually consumed heart tartare (non-human, preferably)?  The heart is pretty tough as far as muscles go, and it would take a fair number of hearts to make enough for a dinner party!  The recipe calls for veal heart, though, which should be pretty tender compared to that of adult cattle (or adult humans, for that matter).

I enjoyed the fact that Hannibal not only declared to Jack that he would have a dinner party just when Will said he would, but that he actually made the food a flower garden to mimic the murder of the man in the tree.  He is bold beyond belief.

• Love 2
he actually made the food a flower garden to mimic the murder of the man in the tree

So might the drumstick with raised claw represent the mushroom garden victims, with all those hands sticking up from the earth?

I am not cultured enough to appreciate Hannibal's aspic (or as I refer to it in my head, fish jello), but I always enjoy Janice Poon's commentary:

Hannibal wouldn't buy vodka off the shelf. He makes his own from Mr and Mrs Potato Head
  • Love 3

I've found some interesting recent articles about José Andrés and his contributions as a culinary consultant.

How to Cook a Human with Hannibal's Bryan Fuller and Chef Jose Andres (TV Guide)
Killer food: Dissecting José Andrés’ culinary visions for NBC series ‘Hannibal’ (Las Vegas Weekly)

Also, there is an interesting academic article on "symbolic meanings of food through Hannibal’s food work and food spaces" called Playing God in the Meals of Hannibal Lecter by Choi Yik Heng.

• Love 1

I found this when I was doing some Walking Dead reading, so I am reposting it here due to momentary interest crossover. According to chefs hired by The Walking Dead marketing guys (for a promo stunt to design a hamburger that tasted like human flesh), the winning recipe features minced pork, minced veal and bone marrow, along with 'pockets of fatness'." Obviously for Hannibal, we'd want to spice that up a bit. :-)

Edna Crandall A place to discuss the meals prepared by Dr. Lecter. Would you eat it if it was made without people?

Surely the question is "Would you eat it, even if you knew it was people?" To which I'd reply: "No - I mean, not unless it was made with really bad people." And given Hannibal tends to prey on the rude, I'm OK with eating most of the people Hannibal does!

I just heard about the cookbook! I can't wait!!! I just printed out some recipes from her blog.

Lomo Saltado - You can do this one vegetarian with portobello so I'm gonna make ALL my friends eat it.

Tandoori Liver - I probably will have to eat this all myself. No one I know will touch it.

Lung and Loin Bourguinonne - Plenty of Asian and Mexican grocery stores here that probably have lung, but roommate won't eat it so probably just loin.

Roast Veal stuffed with Spinach and Mushrooms - I'll eat almost anything, but nothing endangered and not veal. This will have to be pork loin again.

(edited)

Highlights:

The director asked me if I wanted to work on Mads or if we should get a prosthetic body double. With a heavy heavy heart (sobbing!!!) I said it would be too onerous for Mads to endure being naked, covered in glaze and laid out naked on a table while I drape his nakedness with fruit. So on set, I glaze and garnish the Man-o-Latex instead of the Man-o-Dreams. The fun we have goofing around with the prosthetic Mads head almost makes up for not having Real Mads in for the scene. (Did I mention "nakedly draping his naked body with fruit?")

Normally, I sadly tell you here that I am unable to include recipes and sketches in this recap because of the wishes of the publishers of my forthcoming Hannibal cookbook. Then when Hannibal didn’t get renewed by NBC, I thought perhaps the cookbook would be axed as well. Now, I am ELATED to tell you there will be no recipes here and no sketches because publisher Titan has confirmed they are committed to the Hannibal cookbook and it will be available next fall! Yay!! I will be unable to show you sketches and recipes til then. Yay - with a soupcon of sadness, of course.

Edited by Crossbow

I said it would be too onerous for Mads to endure being naked, covered in glaze and laid out naked on a table while I drape his nakedness with fruit. So on set, I glaze and garnish the Man-o-Latex instead of the Man-o-Dreams.

She's a better woman than I am, because I would have been like, "No, no, it absolutely must be Mads...for realism and stuff."

I'm a long-time vegetarian but I get some good cooking ideas from this show, mostly about the presentation. Like using sugar cane skewers sounds nifty! 

• Love 1

One of the neatest but very artsy "bizarre" movies I've ever seen was called "The Cook, the Thief, his Wife, and her Lover."  For penis on a platter, I highly recommend it.  

I seriously loved that film but, like Hannibal, it's a bit difficult to recommend unreservedly.

One of the neatest but very artsy "bizarre" movies I've ever seen was called "The Cook, the Thief, his Wife, and her Lover."  For penis on a platter, I highly recommend it.  

I seriously loved that film but, like Hannibal, it's a bit difficult to recommend unreservedly.

I absolutely loved that film but one of my friends walked out on it. For me, the very worst scene was near the beginning, and after that nothing phased me.

(edited)

Well, Peter Greenaway isn't for everyone.  How's that coming from someone who watches "Hannibal"?!  LOL  The irony is not lost on me.

Stylistically, I find Hannibal a lot like a Greenaway film.  Except Greenaway also has a plot.

Edited by Captanne