Type keyword(s) to search

Toonami: Anime for Insomniacs

• Start Topic

I don't think I'll be paying much attention in the future to Tom's game reviews. He gave Fallout 4 a score of 9 out of 10, which I know from trying it out would much too generous even if it weren't buggy as hell.

Two of my coworkers won't shut up about One-Punch Man, so I'm curious about it as well. I'm guessing it has to finish on Daisuki or wherever, before it can show up on Toonami.

Too bad about Psycho Pass--It's been on my watch-someday list for a couple years now. Dimension W's description isn't ringing any originality bells, but the reviews have been solid, at least.

I've seen a few episodes of One Punch Man on Hulu,  My daughter raved about it, it's one of her current favorites.  We watched it while she was on Christmas break from college.  I think you will like it weyrbunny.  I can't really described it, except to say that is zany, a bit off the wall, but has some pretty good action scenes.  To the best of my knowledge, it has not been dubbed yet. The episodes we watched were all subbed.

Dimension W looks potentially interesting.  I have seen Pyscho Pass on Netflix.   I was hoping that at some point that Darker than Black would be on the Toonami block, but it appears that Funimation no longer has the license to DTB.   I wonder if they will ever show Ghost in the Shell: Arise.  That show was on Netflix streaming, albeit as subs only.

The "Meowpurrdy" video that ran during one of Naruto's breaks...I pity anyone who watches that while they're stoned. Genuine nightmare fuel which wouldn't be out of place in an episode of Off the Air. Here it is, just for anyone who missed it:

Pleasant dreams...

I hear good things. I heard a rumor that Toonami was going to plug in Ergo Proxy, which aired on G4 ages ago. Aside from both sets of credits being set to Radiohead and a game show-themed episode, it made no impact on me.

Any word on what will air at 3 a.m.? I'm hearing either Parasyte or Totally Spies!

I'm glad I glanced at the listing for Toonami this week and saw Hunter x Hunter's premiere. I've always been curious about it since the same author created YuYu Hakusho. I loved Toonami when I was in school, but the revival hasn't included anything I was interested in before now.

I DVR the 12:30-3 a.m. block. I skip Dragonball Z Kai because I prefer Team Four Star's abridgement. And I'm a bit stunned that the guy behind Hunter X Hunter was behind  Yu Yu Hakusho. Is Gon truly the anti-Yusuke?

I have to ask again . . . when a slot gets opened up on the schedule, what would you want to fill the void? When I found out that there was an anime special featuring characters from DBZ, One Piece and Toriko, I wound up picking up several volumes of the latter's manga. Interesting premise . ..  imagine Pokémon, only the main characters seek to capture and cook their catches. Few of the animals are as adorable, but it is a neat hook. And Toriko himself is as big a chowhound as Goku and Luffy.

For the 3 a.m. slot, it'll probably be a repeat running of whatever wrapped up. I'm thinking either Dimension W or Samurai Champloo. I'm not revisiting Parasyte. It was good, but I need my DVR space.

That's a pity. It always takes me a while to get to the adventures of Zorricolo and Budget Dorothy Wainwright, but I was hoping it would be as long as most anime. And what is My Hero Academia about? I think I've seen clips on Funimation's YouTube site.

I'm still waiting on the "Baseball Blues" episode because it's very funny to me. I liked it a lot, especially with a hematoma-addled Mugen giving the narrator a hard time.

Saw a few "Meet The Heroes" clips from My Hero Academia. Seems too "kiddy" for Toonami. If this was an afternoon block, sure, you can pair it with Yu-Gi-Oh! GX.

ETA: I like one of the transitions for Samurai Champloo .. . . before going into commercial, we get: "Without further ado . . . IT'S EXECUTION TIME!" Cue Jin and Fuu being lifted on crosses. It just seems funny to me for some reason.

"Iron-Blooded Orphans"? I went to an anime con last week, and they were screening that in an empty room. I think it was more about the con's first year as opposed to the popularity of the franchise. As for past incarnations: I'm partial to SD Gundam and G-Gundam. That was off the chain nuts. "SHINING FINGER!!!!"

ETA: Saw the schedule for next week. Looks like we're getting two episodes of Dragonball Z Kai. Um . . . yay?

Funny . . . two shows on Toonami this evening have characters running from pigs. Check here and here. They should have aired the episode of Naruto where he arrives at the next stage of the chunin exams after getting chased by pigs. Or am I not remembering that correctly?

In case you didn't see the commercial, there's going to be a Samurai Champloo marathon next Saturday.

Also, the lineup will be shifted to end at 3 a.m. I'm thinking it'll start with DBZ Kai, followed by IBO, then Hunter x Hunter and the rest. And here's the IBO teaser:

Shirtless pilots? Is that to show how bad off the protagonists are, or is that fanservice?

Why, yes. Yes, it does. I haven't felt the need to make a poster lately, but I'd like to see new entries.

Forgot about Kamina. Maybe IBO is inspired by Gurren Lagan? If a lispy dude in green hair implores the main character to give the ignition a mighty tug, I might get upset.

• Love 1

I didn't hate IBO, but somehow the fact that all the voice actors are so familiar is really obvious on this show.

My wife is all "didn't you already watch that show?", and I can't really blame her. 

I gotta catch up. I feel compelled to mention that the "Baseball Blues" episode of Samurai Champloo will air on Saturday. I'm a sucker for sports-related episodes, and the show is nuts enough already.

The MSG:IBO forum is now open.

On Sunday, May 29, 2016 at 2:37 PM, Lantern7 said:

Forgot about Kamina. Maybe IBO is inspired by Gurren Lagan? If a lispy dude in green hair implores the main character to give the ignition a mighty tug, I might get upset.

Or "a manly twist." But seriously, I can't even comprehend a Gundam show being anything like Gurren Lagann. The franchise has traditionally been partially about the horrors of war. It would be like Alien being inspired by The Wizard of Oz.

Peeled off the first volume of Assassonatina Classroom this morning. Totally would not be surprised if this make Toonami. Premise: Wacky alien blows up most of the moon, threatens to do the same to Earth if students on the lowest rung of school don't kill him inside of a year. Anytime I see Koro Sensai, I keep hearing Lord Death from Soul Eater.

I'm thinking either "Cromartie High School where the teacher is insane" or "Stand and Deliver on crack." I mean, look at the opening credits:

I'll post the official Funimation clips when I find them.

ETA: Here's the first one:

Just wondering if Toonami will be running a block next week for the three-day Independence Day weekend.

ETA: Yes, they are . . . a Hunter x Hunter marathon.

ETA2: I read the first volume of Tokyo Ghoul. I'd be surprised if that wasn't picked up by Toonami down the line.