Type keyword(s) to search

Barbie (2023)

SeanC
  • Start Topic

(edited)

Barbie won 2 Guild of Music Supervisors Awards...

‘Barbie’ Wins Big at 2024 Guild of Music Supervisors Awards: Full Winners List
By Paul Grein   03/3/2024
https://www.billboard.com/music/awards/barbie-2024-guild-of-music-supervisors-awards-full-winners-list-1235620486/ 

The Barbie ballad “What Was I Made For?” by Billie Eilish and Finneas won best song written and/or recorded for a film at the 2024 Guild of Music Supervisors Awards, which were held at the Wiltern Theatre in Los Angeles on Sunday (March 3). The awards, now in their 14th year, celebrate the craft of music supervision in film, television, documentaries, advertising, trailers and video games.

Eilish and Finneas accepted the award in person and thanked music supervisors for placing their songs in films and TV, dating back to Eilish’s first hit, “Ocean Eyes.” Finneas said, “If we owe our careers to any group of people, it really in all honesty is music supervisors.”

This being the GMS Awards, the award for best song written and/or recorded for a film also went to Barbie music supervisor George Drakoulias, who won a second award for his work on that blockbuster: best music supervision for a film budgeted over $25 million. Drakoulias thanked many people, including executives at Atlantic Records. “If you have a chance to make a soundtrack, make it with Kevin Weaver, because he’s a pitbull. We would do these weekly calls and [it] was like ‘this was an embarrassment of riches.’ Everybody said yes.”

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

Barbie won the CSA's Zeitgeist Award...

The Casting Society of America announced the winners of the 39th annual Artios Awards, which honors “excellence in casting across feature film, television, commercials and theatre.”

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

Barbie won the ICG Publicists' Maxwell Weinberg Award for Motion Picture Publicity Campaign...

“BARBIE” AND “AHSOKA” TAKE HOME TOP HONORS AT THE 61ST ANNUAL ICG PUBLICISTS AWARDS
International Cinematographers Guild   March 8, 2024
https://www.icg600.com/Portals/0/Awards/Publicists/2024 ICG Publicists Awards WINNERS.pdf 

LOS ANGELES – The Publicists of the International Cinematographers Guild (ICG, IATSE Local 600) announced the winners of the 61st Annual ICG Publicists Awards at a luncheon at the Beverly Wilshire Hotel today, Friday, March 8, 2024.

The Maxwell Weinberg Awards for Motion Picture Publicity Campaign and Television Publicity Campaign were awarded to “Barbie” (Warner Bros.) and “Ahsoka” (Walt Disney Studios, Lucasfilm/Disney+), presented by Melvin Robert (“Good Day LA,” “Extra”). Gabriela Gutentag (Unit Publicist) won the Les Mason Award for Career Achievement in Publicity, and Julia Neal (Paramount Pictures) won the Publicist of the Year Award, presented by Jay Ellis (“Top Gun: Maverick,” “Insecure”).

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

I'm extremely late to the party on this one, but did finally see it.  

Margot Robbie is a gem - I adored her in this.  America Ferreira did a great job as well. The set design was fantastic.  A lot of it was very funny.  And I really enjoyed Rhea Perlman as the spirit of the Barbie creator.

I thought Ryan Gosling was very funny here, but Oscar nominations for him and for the Ken song?  Eh ... kind of a bit much, in my view.  

The way it ended was ... odd? 

Spoiler

Look, I'm a woman and a feminist, but I've never found going to the gynecologist to be particularly liberating or interesting, lol.  Also hated the maudlin slow song it ends with.  

Edited by SlovakPrincess
(edited)

Barbie | Bringing Barbie to the Big Screen | Warner Bros. Entertainment
Warner Bros. Entertainment   Mar 9, 2024

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

It might have only won Best Song (and not for I'm Just Ken), but think it's clear who won the entire night.  Ryan is more than Kenough!

Honestly though, even if it came up short in the categories, it was nice seeing this film get nominated and be part of the evening.  Considering how easily this could have been just a cash grab or worse, the fact that it was even in the conversation is impressive.  And it will no doubt still be remembered for years to come.

Hopefully, Greta, Margot, and Ryan gets those damn trophies some day, but for now, I'm just going to enjoy that they/Barbie was even in the conversation.

• Like 2
  • Love 3
(edited)

Billie Eilish and Finneas O'Connell Perform 'What Was I Made For?' at Oscars 2024
ABC   Mar 10, 2024

BARBIE Accepts the Oscar for Music (Original Song)
ABC   Mar 10, 2024

Oscars 2024: Ryan Gosling and Emily Blunt exchange playful barbs at the Academy Awards
ABC News   Mar 10, 2024

Edited by tv echo
  • Like 4
On 3/11/2024 at 1:38 PM, Trini said:

They had fun, but I wish they'd gotten a couple more trophies:

c7bbf55845100906a8c69f4cdea0ae8bed37fd1a

1d9d92ecb13cd36a64d6a6161b511c7d510bab11

I had to get a link to watch, because I don’t have cable, and I got it just in time to watch this.  He was fantastic, just totally charming.  

• Like 3

I loved the movie, I love the song, I loved the performance and the Oscars, but damn, "I'm Just Ken" is such an earworm!  It even knocked the Jardiance commercial out of my head.

• Like 5
  • LOL 2
(edited)

Barbie | Impossible to be a Woman | Warner Bros. Entertainment
Warner Bros. Entertainment   Apr 5, 2024

‘Barbie’ Actress Ariana Greenblatt to Receive Rising Star of the Year Award at CinemaCon
BY CHRIS GARDNER    APRIL 4, 2024
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/barbie-ariana-greenblatt-cinemacon-award-borderlands-1235866250/ 

Greenblatt will be presented with a rising star of the year trophy at a ceremony inside the Colosseum at Caesars Palace on April 11. The honor follows Greenblatt’s role in Greta Gerwig’s blockbuster Barbie, and arrives months ahead of her follow-up in Eli Roth’s Borderlands opposite Cate Blanchett, Jack Black, Kevin Hart, Édgar Ramírez and Jamie Lee Curtis.
“Acting since the age of 6, Ariana Greenblatt has a résumé that already includes such high-profile films as Avengers: Infinity War, The One and Only Ivan, In the Heights, 65, and of course, the top grossing film of 2023, Barbie,” explained CinemaCon managing director Neuhauser. “To say that her star is on the rise is a true understatement. Next up is the eagerly anticipated Borderlands that will undoubtedly continue this young star’s trajectory towards stardom.”

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

Simu Liu also talked about working on Barbie and doing the "I'm Just Ken" dance number for the Oscars...

Simu Liu Confirms Shang-Chi Sequel, Talks Country Music Album and Atlas with Jennifer Lopez
The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon   May 4, 2024

Edited by tv echo
  • Like 1

Not in my budget, but sounds like fun:

https://www.barbiethemovieinconcert.com/

Venues across the nation will be transformed into Barbie Land™ as guests experience Barbie the Movie like never before! The full-length feature film will be accompanied live by a musically renowned, all-women, majority women-of-color orchestra conducted by Macy Schmidt.

Barbie® fans of all ages are invited to celebrate the music of the film in a one-of-a-kind immersive experience, featuring specialty limited-edition merchandise, photo opportunities, VIP experiences, and more!

• Useful 1