Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E05: The Soil

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

Royal embarks on a quest to investigate the elusive dark mineral that is present on his land, only to intensify his growing rivalry with Autumn.

Original airdate 4/29/22

Why didn't the prayer group want to lay hands on Walt's hips or at least pray for Walt's wife to get a good outcome, she needed way more than Cecilla.

I predict that Cecilla Abbott is going to skin the bear, wear the fur, and go and maul everybody in the Tillerson family. Because the Bible told her so.

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

Why didn't the prayer group want to lay hands on Walt's hips or at least pray for Walt's wife to get a good outcome, she needed way more than Cecilla.

I predict that Cecilla Abbott is going to skin the bear, wear the fur, and go and maul everybody in the Tillerson family. Because the Bible told her so.

I think Cecelia wants the bear to maul her, because she's the one mocking God by covering up the murder.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, peach said:
5 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

I think Cecelia wants the bear to maul her, because she's the one mocking God by covering up the murder.

But which one makes for better television?

• Love 2
8 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

I predict that Cecilla Abbott is going to skin the bear, wear the fur, and go and maul everybody in the Tillerson family. 

And she will remember to bring a casserole...

• LOL 4
  • Love 3

Geez, Cecilia. Show up at the Tillerson's all guilty shuffles at the back of the crowd and don't bring a casserole?!?!? What would the lord say? At least bring some ambrosia. That's a real f*** you to the Tillerson's because that's a dish that should only be served to your worst enemies. 

Run, Perry, run! Autumn is going to have Perry charging crystals, and smugly telling everyone at the rodeo about juice cleanses by next episode. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

Yeah, they're starting to lose me. It's an interesting premise but there is far too much meandering character study and Autumn is just annoyingly enigmatic. There may not actually be enough story here for this many episodes.

• Love 3
On 5/4/2022 at 1:50 PM, iMonrey said:

Yeah, they're starting to lose me. It's an interesting premise but there is far too much meandering character study and Autumn is just annoyingly enigmatic. There may not actually be enough story here for this many episodes.

The typical approach is to focus almost all of season one on The Mystery. In this case, the hole, and its effects, and we learn more as new situations require different interactions. Then in the second season, the producers start saying things like, "It's about the characters." And we end up with entire episodes about how one character got a tattoo, it becomes highly irritating and you almost quit watcing and then season three and/or four focus back on The Mystery.

THIS show is forcing the characterization upfront. Credit for trying. My issue is, I don't care about two feudin' cowboy families on the range. I don't watch Yellowstone.  So I find myself fast-forwarding through about 90% of each episode now, only stopping to watch The Hole and The Mysterious Stranger. which means, if I stopped now, and I might, I wouldn't care.

• Love 1

I gave up after episode 4 but it's hilarious to read the threads. I don't have the context of the episode but it appears to be just as arcane to those who do, and I suspect the comments would mirror the play by play in my head it I were watching!

• Love 1
(edited)

I intended to binge this show from Episode 5 through to the finish but this episode was so dull that I just couldn't inflict any more of it upon myself.   I wanted Cecilia to blow Autumn's head off, then find Royal and put an end to him, too.   The songs and the singing, Wayne's wackiness ... it all feels so artificial.  Coming right off Ozark's last season, I've kinda had my fill of Tom Pelphrey's Fuck-Up Brother routine, too.   Also, can someone please write/create a genre show that doesn't include religious devotees among the characters?

On 4/29/2022 at 8:07 AM, NeenerNeener said:

Between this show and Yellowstone Will Patton is getting typecast as Evil Old Coot.

He's been playing that part since The Postman (1997)

Edited by millennium
  • Love 2