Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E07: Murder in the Old West

• Start Topic

Jayden hosts a Western-themed murder mystery party, where Mikaela tries to figure out what's going between her and James; Arpi and Neil clash over how to spend the city's newly acquired budget surplus.

Airs 4/26.

My only objection was that Alexa should have been in the anachronism bowl. It wasn't the best episode, but it had it's moments. I wonder if the space elevator will be an ongoing arc?

I did think Arpi was a bit hypocritical when she accused Niel of being disloyal when she has thrown Jayden under the bus before (s01e05 - Dodger Day). Her real loyalty is to her agenda.

"But why am I being so formal when you and I have made the beast with two backs?"
"A camel?"

"This party turned out 100 times worse than a real murder."
"Oh, don't say that. My twin was murdered."
"Yeah, and this is worse."
"Okay, they're both bad."

"But there is a silver lining."
"Oh, you saw my underwear. Yeah, that's for odor."

• Love 1

The space elevator is interesting. I can see both sides.

On the one hand, this is a big prestige project and could net the city infinite money in a few decades.

On the other hand, Arpi is right. The materials to build it don't exist yet. You'd need ropes out of graphene or carbon nanotubes and there is no way to produce those in sufficient lengths yet.

So a more relaistic project would be to build a research lab / factory to try and produce those materials...

• Love 1
On 4/27/2022 at 10:01 AM, appositival said:

My only objection was that Alexa should have been in the anachronism bowl.

I thought that was a good gag - that Jayden was adamant that no one could use technology, but left Alexa on the whole time.

Overall, though, I was disappointed by this episode. The concept had a lot of potential, but I didn't find the execution to be all that funny.

• Love 1

A space elevator is about the damn stupidest thing I've heard in a long time.  What does it go to?  It would have to go to something that is in geosynchronous orbit, and likely a fairly low orbit, which lets out the space station, so what's the point?  Neil is an idiot.

But it was nice to see Ted and Mary together.  She was clearly having a blast.

6 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

A space elevator is about the damn stupidest thing I've heard in a long time.  What does it go to?  It would have to go to something that is in geosynchronous orbit, and likely a fairly low orbit, which lets out the space station, so what's the point?  Neil is an idiot.

But it was nice to see Ted and Mary together.  She was clearly having a blast.

It's a comedy, of course it's ridiculous.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

I like this addition to the theme of whether to be remembered as a cool mayor and or to be mocked as a useful mayor.  I loved that Neil threw out the development of velcro as a benefit of space technology, and then opened and closed Arpi's velcro bag for emphasis.

A short article on the space elevator concept.

The funniest thing about the shelf of minions was that it was just there, and no one said anything.  I also laughed at Tommy's The Voice audition.  I like to think of Arpi as having a cabinet full of blackmail material going back decades.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
(edited)
On 4/30/2022 at 6:50 PM, Browncoat said:

A space elevator is a real concept that isn't just something crackpots think would be cool.

What does it go to? A little station at geostationary orbit. Which isn't a low orbit. The counterweight is even further out.

What's the point? To get freight up there. Getting 1kg into orbit costs $12k at the lowest, at the moment. With an elevator it would be way, way, way less, after initial investment. Not to mention all the burnt fuel.

Many people say a space elevator would be the prerequisite to colonising the solar system.

So why hasn't anybody done it yet? Because any material we can make cables from would snap under its own weight. Graphene and carbon nanotubes are strong and light enough to withstand the forces, but we can't make cables of significant length out of them (yet).

I think eventually one will be built, but that might still be a 100 years or more off. Also the first space elevator will probably be built on the moon. Because of lower gravity, there you can just use steel cables to get into orbit. That one depends entirely on when mining on the moon becomes profitable.

If you want to read a bit further: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_elevator

So Neil is kind of an idiot, but not because he believes in the concept but because he believes it is doable now... also because LA isn't exactly on the equator...

Edited by Zonk
  • Useful 3
(edited)

Look at Ted Danson and Mary Steenburgen being all cute onscreen. 

I need to go visit LA's murder hotel district. There certainly quite a few, its like every other true crime podcast is about some creepy hotel in LA. Space Elevator is absolutely a real idea, just one that we wont see for quite awhile. The idea is pretty sound, but the technology isn't there yet, and LA would not be a great place for it. Like a lot of Neil's plans, its a weird but fun idea that seems pretty impractical. 

Edited by tennisgurl