Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E10: You happened to me

AnimeMania
  • Start Topic

Season Finale

With all of the Valley seemingly pitted against Bottom Dollar, Doug flounders, while Joyce takes a stand. A men’s rights protest threatens the future of Minx.

Original Airdate: April 14, 2022
oscar-montoya-idara-victor-ophelia-lovib
idara-victor-jake-johnson_0.jpg?itok=jKW

This is the best show! Its rare for me to like every single character but I do, and the character development for each has been well planned and unique, and all equally interesting.

Does anyone know if it has been renewed for a second season? It would be a shame for this to be a one-and-done. 

Does anyone know if it has been renewed for a second season? It would be a shame for this to be a one-and-done. 

Not yet.

Good series overall, but I was frustrated with Joyce throughout. She really isn't very practical or realistic, and I don't like her chances of succeeded as a publisher without Doug's help. 

• Love 2

I really liked this season and I hope the show is renewed, but I could do without the Joyce vs. Doug dynamic that took over in the last few episodes. I enjoy them arguing, but not outright battling. I think the show works better when all of the characters are working together toward a common goal (which kind of happened again in the last few minutes of this episode).

It also seemed like the plot moved a little too fast. Two issues and the magazine's a huge hit, landing Joyce on Dick Cavett! And then, no, now it's suddenly folding due to the lawsuits. I guess they needed to do a lot in ten episodes in case this was the only season, but I hope they slow it down moving forward.  

The whole cast was excellent, but especially Lennon Parham (who I've loved for years) and Idara Victor (who I'd never seen in anything before). 

• Love 4

I thought the first 6-7 episodes were really good and then the pace of things changed quickly, as others have said. Maybe it was due to a lack of commitment for futures seasons but it felt like the show’s focus changed. I wish they had done more with Amy Landecker’s character. 

• Love 5
On 4/16/2022 at 10:06 AM, iMonrey said:

She really isn't very practical or realistic, and I don't like her chances of succeeded as a publisher without Doug's help.

Doug - who stole 50 large from himself to sink into Minx. I get she wants creative control of the magazine, but she does actually have that. Doug reeled in a big fish for the centerfold, and should have given her a heads up on that, but it's not like his intentions weren't for the magazine. The conflict in this episode seemed manufactured to me. I don't get why she'd want to be bothered with the publishing workload. Then again, a second season may focus on Joyce partnering with Doug. It was clear that Doug can't put together Minx, but I don't think he thought he could. I think part of it was being so ripped to shreds on the talk show. 

I did like that Joyce doesn't seem to be hung up on publishing an erotic magazine as a vehicle for her brand of feminism after her NYC friends trashed her. And she can still write what she wants. That's a good evolution. 

This show had a great concept, but the second half of the season went off the rails. It just takes itself too seriously to the detriment of it's own entertainment value. And if there will be a second season, they need to make Joyce more likeable. She gets along with no one, except for those who always agree with her. It's always her way or the highway and watching 10 episodes of that is just exhausting.

The show did not manage to make me care about any of it's characters. And sure, Lennon Parham did great, but a wife discovering she's secretly lesbian is not this big shocking plotline anymore, it's been done to death.

And also too much of the show was about these random magazine politics - we didn't really need a storyline about being sued or distribution troubles - even though the mob wives were the most interesting set of characters in the series. The series was mostly about addressing these different sets of problems and after a while it's tiring intead of entertaining. I was really looking forward to the last episode just being over.

• Love 1
54 minutes ago, Harvey said:

The show did not manage to make me care about any of it's characters. And sure, Lennon Parham did great, but a wife discovering she's secretly lesbian is not this big shocking plotline anymore, it's been done to death.

That wasn't quite my take. I thought it's more about a run of the mill housewife learning to take charge of her sexuality. It started with Joyce spilling the beans on the radio, but in the end, they became more communicative. She showed the pictures to her husband too. They never showed what she wrote in the note to Bambi either. 

I do agree I was hoping for more Joyce growth. She got what she wanted - she's totally in charge now. I'm not rooting for her to fail; I think her and Doug together are a better force for the magazine than apart. 

• Love 4

Anachronism catch, in Tina's last scene, reading the letters: The one from Wharton shows its contemporary letterhead and logo, far removed from the classic black script on cream stationery used at the time.

• Useful 2

I was kind of shocked to see a Men's Rights movement of the late 70s championed by shock jockeys mirroring ones that exist today, but apparently there were such groups in reaction to the push for the ERA.