Type keyword(s) to search

S02:E05 What Business?

• Start Topic

Tampa, 1995: With his football dreams dashed, Dwayne asks Rocky to train him to become a wrestler. Rocky begrudgingly agrees, but when Dwayne feels he isn't progressing, he secretly turns to outside help.

Original Air Date: April 12, 2022

I think this is the first time they mentioned Hulk Hogan, in reference to the paying the dues to get a trainer to take him on. I remember hearing that the next generation in the little cousin was related from the Hobbs and Shaw promo blitz.

I still wonder if the show has a long run as high school Rock ages if other University stories will be told with him starring?

• Love 1

They are taking some more risks with the characters this season.

Season 1 really seemed like a love-letter to Rocky, which was understandable as he had just passed, but it's nice to see they're willing to address some of his shortcomings, or "challenging behaviours" this year. I doubt they'll get into his philandering knowing where the creative control lies, but painting around the edges of it will likely be the basis there.

Also grown Dwayne is showing to not be infallible, which is a relief.

Grandma is on the road to being Flanderized as she has less to do, but damn if don't laugh every time she talks to "High Chief" like he's really there.

• Love 5
6 hours ago, Raja said:

I remember hearing that the next generation in the little cousin was related from the Hobbs and Shaw promo blitz.

That little cousin "Joe" is the WWE Undisputed Universal/WWE heavyweight champion Roman Reigns.  (Sika's son)  There's rumors abuzz that the Rock will face him next year at Wrestlemania in California.  The wrestling social media is all going crazy at the remark that it would be a wrestlemania match.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

Good to know that at least Randall Park's role in Aquaman is going to expand the more that franchise goes on!

Definitely glad we're starting to get into the beginning of Dwayne's journey into the pro wrestling business.  It already feels like he is connecting with it in a way he never quite did with football and already seems more motivated to succeed that.  That said, while a lot of it is probably coming out of a place of his own ego and failures, I can see why Rocky isn't completely thrilled over him heading down this path.  I doubt the show will fully go into it, but there has definitely been stories about how hard the pro wrestling business is and for every successful megastar, there are plenty more who never make it or worse.  Rocky isn't completely wrong to be concerned about this, although, again, I do think a good portion of it is coming from his own insecurities.

I did like how they focused so much on the art of "selling" a.k.a. getting beat up in the ring, because "The Rock" was always known for it.  No one could sell a "Stone Cold Stunner" like The Rock could!

Young Roman Reigns sighting!

• Love 6

Nice knowing that Randall's career in various superhero sequels is going strong, even if he had to fake breaking a leg in Aquaman five. That's rough Randall. 

Rocky isn't wrong to be concerned about Dwayne going into wrestling, even if some of this is also probably due to his own insecurities at the idea of his son overshadowing him. Wrestling really is a tough thing to break into, even being from a legacy family on both sides, we've seen how much their family has struggled financially despite his successes, it makes sense that he would hesitate Dwayne moving into this career. 

I wonder if this season focusing more on Rocky's flaws is also partially because Dwayne himself is getting older in the flashbacks. He thought his dad was the best thing ever as a kid, with a kid perspective and not seeing the full picture, but as he became an adult, he could see his dad as more of a full person, flaws and all. 

Dwayne really does go on to take a fall like a champ. 

• Love 3
(edited)
On 4/13/2022 at 1:07 PM, Traveller519 said:

Season 1 really seemed like a love-letter to Rocky, which was understandable as he had just passed, but it's nice to see they're willing to address some of his shortcomings, or "challenging behaviours" this year. I doubt they'll get into his philandering knowing where the creative control lies, but painting around the edges of it will likely be the basis there.

The line about little Timmy or whoever drinking gin was interesting in that regard.

It was also interesting to see the real Yokozuna. In the mid-90's I remember going to a WWF house show at the small arena in my hometown. I remember nothing about the event other than being outside at the back of the arena before the doors opened and a rental car being driven by Yokozuna showed up. I still remember that the seat was all the way back and fully reclined. And I think he was in the car with The Head Shrinkers, who I now know where his cousins, and maybe Mr. Fuji. 

Edited by Kel Varnsen
  • Love 2
On 4/13/2022 at 7:47 PM, NYGirl said:

That little cousin "Joe" is the WWE Undisputed Universal/WWE heavyweight champion Roman Reigns.  (Sika's son) 

I thought having the kid say "Acknowledge me", which is Reigns' catchphrase some 30 years later, was more than a little cheesy.