Type keyword(s) to search

S01:E17 Jobs and Hangouts

• Start Topic

Poor Kim. That stinks.  Dean got played. 

I do like Kim getting back at Dean at the end. 

I hope Kim blows her first check on whatever she wants. My parents' let my brother and me do that. You have the rest of your life to be responsible with your money. First check just have fun if you can.

• Love 6

There's a really interesting story about race and social class that this episode hinted at that I really wish had been more central to the episode. Kim is earning pocket money and possibly money for college (I'm surprised Bill or Lillian didn't say something like "half your paycheck better be going to a savings account for tution and books." I know college tution and textbooks were less expensive in the late 1960s, but I'm not sure if her parents can pay for absolutely everything). The other waitress is there working to support herself and her son, which is a very different scenario. When Kim started to make suggestions, I'm surprised the waitress didn't say something like "Why do you care? You probably won't even be working here next year."

It's the black middle class colliding with the white working class, and there is so much to explore there. Maybe the network couldn't do that  kind of story because they were worried it would make the white character appear "too racist." 

Overall, I liked the episode, especially Dean wanting to fit in with the cool older kids.  

• Love 6

I thought Dean's friends knew what was going on when they said, "she's pumping you for information," but no, they thought Pam was crushing on Dean. Not quite aware enough of how older girls aren't interested in kids their age. They've got a lot to learn.

• Love 6
On 3/24/2022 at 11:09 AM, Sarah 103 said:

There's a really interesting story about race and social class that this episode hinted at that I really wish had been more central to the episode. Kim is earning pocket money and possibly money for college (I'm surprised Bill or Lillian didn't say something like "half your paycheck better be going to a savings account for tution and books." I know college tution and textbooks were less expensive in the late 1960s, but I'm not sure if her parents can pay for absolutely everything). The other waitress is there working to support herself and her son, which is a very different scenario. When Kim started to make suggestions, I'm surprised the waitress didn't say something like "Why do you care? You probably won't even be working here next year."

It's the black middle class colliding with the white working class, and there is so much to explore there. Maybe the network couldn't do that  kind of story because they were worried it would make the white character appear "too racist." 

Overall, I liked the episode, especially Dean wanting to fit in with the cool older kids.  

I really thought that the story was going in a racism direction initially, so it was really refreshing to see it go in the direction that it did. Especially in an era where single parents were still relatively uncommon. That being said, I think the white waitress was probably thinking mostly about Kim's seniority at the work site first, then her age and her gender, and then maybe other factors such as race and social class.

• Love 5
6 hours ago, madpsych78 said:

Especially in an era where single parents were still relatively uncommon.

The divorce rate was lower, often because states made it hard to divorce before no-fault divorce became common, but single parents weren't as uncommon as the popular culture from the time period would suggest. 

On 3/24/2022 at 12:09 PM, Sarah 103 said:

(I'm surprised Bill or Lillian didn't say something like "half your paycheck better be going to a savings account for tution and books." I know college tution and textbooks were less expensive in the late 1960s, but I'm not sure if her parents can pay for absolutely everything).

I may be wrong, but they seem to be fairly well off.  That color tv they have could have cost up to a few thousand dollars (in 2022 dollars). 

• Useful 3
  • Love 2
On 3/24/2022 at 9:09 AM, Sarah 103 said:

Dad's a college professor who gigs on the side basically for fun in a pre DJ era when many more  local musicians could  live well on working bars and clubs. While mom is a higher level federal employee. I am pretty sure if they were the "just concentrate on study we'll take care of everything" type of parents they easily could. But they have some Booker T. Washington in their soul.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, Raja said:

Dad's a college professor who gigs on the side basically for fun in a pre DJ era when many more  local musicians could  live well on working bars and clubs. While mom is a higher level federal employee. I am pretty sure if they were the "just concentrate on study we'll take care of everything" type of parents they easily could. But they have some Booker T. Washington in their soul.

To make sure I understand your comment- they can afford to pay for/take care of everything, but they also want Kim to learn financial responsibility and the importance of hard work/the value of a dollar. I find that explanation totally believable. 

• Love 4

Kim's friends really suck, at least she bonded with her co-worker and is hopefully letting her loser kind of boyfriend go. I wish we saw more of Kim getting into activism again, it feels like all of the best parts of her story are happening offscreen. 

Dean and his friends were so close to the truth, sweet summer children. "She's pumping you for information...she's in love with you!"

• Love 4
1 hour ago, tennisgurl said:

Kim's friends really suck, at least she bonded with her co-worker and is hopefully letting her loser kind of boyfriend go. I wish we saw more of Kim getting into activism again, it feels like all of the best parts of her story are happening offscreen. 

Dean and his friends were so close to the truth, sweet summer children. "She's pumping you for information...she's in love with you!"

So do I. I was really interested in Kim being part of activism. 

• Love 4
8 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

I wish we saw more of Kim getting into activism again, it feels like all of the best parts of her story are happening offscreen. 

There's a part of me that wishes the show was focused on Kim instead of Dean. I think for now, Kim is still figuring out what role or direction her activism will take. 

• Love 6
On 3/29/2022 at 11:31 PM, Sarah 103 said:

There's a part of me that wishes the show was focused on Kim instead of Dean.

Me too. Dean is nice, but kind of bland. Maybe the show wants bland, but Kim as an activist would be interesting if they had the guts to actually go there.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, possibilities said:

Me too. Dean is nice, but kind of bland. Maybe the show wants bland, but Kim as an activist would be interesting if they had the guts to actually go there.

I really wish they did. I was really interested in Kim when it looked like she was going to join the Black Panthers. But then she didn't. 

• Love 1
7 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

I really wish they did. I was really interested in Kim when it looked like she was going to join the Black Panthers. But then she didn't. 

The Black Panthers were too violent for her, and she didn't like that one of them was mean to her little brother. Kim is interested in advancing/improving the Black community and there are other ways to do that other than the Black Panthers. At the Lads and Ladies event, she became more interested in college when she found out some of them had African American Studies type majors. Black Pride is important to her. I'm interested in seeing where it goes.

• Love 3

The Panthers were not the only organization she could join, though. The show could have her cycling through them, if they wanted to say the Panthers weren't to her liking. But a savvy activist won't let one bad boyfriend or incident dictate their opinion of the entire organization. She could help with one of the BP's committees that fed children, if she didn't like the more confrontational elements. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, possibilities said:

The Panthers were not the only organization she could join, though. The show could have her cycling through them, if they wanted to say the Panthers weren't to her liking. But a savvy activist won't let one bad boyfriend or incident dictate their opinion of the entire organization. She could help with one of the BP's committees that fed children, if she didn't like the more confrontational elements. 

That would be really interesting to see her doing that. Start with Panthers for a bit. Decide it's not for her and join another organization. It's also a good way for her to see which one she likes best and/or fits in with. 

• Love 4