Type keyword(s) to search

Survivor 42: Previews and Speculation

LadyChatts
  • Start Topic

Next week: more Tori and her obnoxious facial expressions!  She thinks she sees a path forward in this game, which involves targeting Drea.  Swati actually suggested it. 

Mike and Daniel are out in the woods, Mike says something about not getting lost, Daniel is mortified by the game play, and then suggests targeting Mike to someone on their tribe (I think Channelle?).  I'm going to guess they were idol hunting and Mike came up with a terrible cover story.

• Love 1
53 minutes ago, LadyChatts said:

Next week: more Tori and her obnoxious facial expressions!  She thinks she sees a path forward in this game, which involves targeting Drea.  Swati actually suggested it. 

Mike and Daniel are out in the woods, Mike says something about not getting lost, Daniel is mortified by the game play, and then suggests targeting Mike to someone on their tribe (I think Channelle?).  I'm going to guess they were idol hunting and Mike came up with a terrible cover story.

I'm guessing Drea and Mike are a misdirect?

Edited by TVFan1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, TVFan1 said:

I'm guessing Drea and Mike are a misdirect?

I actually wondered if Daniel finds the idol/advantage (or is looking for one) and goofs up like Tori did, where everyone targets him for possibly having an idol.  So he tries to shift the target to Mike, who maybe was out there with him.  The whole being lost thing has me a little confused what exactly Mike is talking about. 

Since Swati brought up Drea's name, maybe Tori throws that back on her to target Swati.  

The Orange Tribe seemed fun in the preview.  I'd be surprised if they end up going to TC next week based on that.  

• Love 2

I'm assuming since they don't even fake tease it that nothing happens with MaryAnne and that machete, but holy hell did anyone teach her basic safety? I grew up splitting wood with axes, sledges and chainsaws and so I respect not to fool around with any of those tools. Sheesh, even a kitchen knife you don't mess with. Though I don't think she's long for this game anyway. Can't see her tribe throwing a challenge as they're already down a member, but feel like she's first to go.

(edited)

Next week-Mike loses the idol (again).  I assume that no one can take it to mess with him, and bury it somewhere else, right?  Looks like MaryAnne maybe finds something at her camp.  And another challenge where castaways have the potential to get killed.  Probst says "we've never done this before", which maybe means ending the challenge?

Edited by LadyChatts

Yeah, all that footage of people struggling in the water was difficult to watch.  I don't think it was editing, or fake drama, Mike really looked like he was struggling, and the surf seemed pretty high, what with how they were getting tossed around.

I suspect the "Survivor first" is that the challenge gets called mid-way through due to surf conditions.  I wonder who made the go/no-go decision there that screwed up?  Or if the surf conditions changed unexpectedly and suddenly?  If that is what happens, it will be interested to see how that make it up.  Who goes to tribal?  If there was an onshore component of the comp, do they complete that part in some sort of foreshortened version of the comp?

• Love 3

I went back and watched the preview for next week.  Jeff said "never done this in the history of Survivor" which could be misdirection, but it does look like he puts a halt to the challenge.  Maybe someone gets injured in the challenge and can't return to compete, so whoever was sitting out for their tribe has to come in?  This wouldn't work for Taku, but Ika has Romeo sitting out, and Vitai I think would have 2 members sitting out. 

If they were bringing those ladder pieces back to shore, odds are they were building them to either grab puzzle pieces or get to a platform (maybe it's an obstacle course).  So they could improvise with the rest of the challenge if they decide to skip the water part.  

I also noticed MaryAnne said something about bait and switch.  I'm curious what that means.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, LadyChatts said:

I went back and watched the preview for next week.  Jeff said "never done this in the history of Survivor" which could be misdirection, but it does look like he puts a halt to the challenge.  Maybe someone gets injured in the challenge and can't return to compete, so whoever was sitting out for their tribe has to come in?  This wouldn't work for Taku, but Ika has Romeo sitting out, and Vitai I think would have 2 members sitting out. 

If they were bringing those ladder pieces back to shore, odds are they were building them to either grab puzzle pieces or get to a platform (maybe it's an obstacle course).  So they could improvise with the rest of the challenge if they decide to skip the water part.  

I also noticed MaryAnne said something about bait and switch.  I'm curious what that means.

I thought she got part of the 3-phrases advantage.  She thought it was a good thing, opened it and then it wasn’t.  

• Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, DEL901 said:

I thought she got part of the 3-phrases advantage.  She thought it was a good thing, opened it and then it wasn’t.  

Yeah, "bait and switch" probably is her way of interpreting the new idol rules.  Who was she telling, Omar?  Who will probably tell Jonathan, if MaryAnne didn't already.  

ETA: Episode description for next week.  And there’s a pic from the start of the challenge-not sure who approved it in those conditions.  https://www.viacomcbspressexpress.com/cbs-entertainment/shows/survivor/releases/view?id=59370

“Go for the Gusto” – One tribe attempts to recover after drawing a line in the sand at tribal council. Also, a castaway goes on a journey and must make a decision that could change their game, and one tribe stacks their way to victory, earning immunity and a fruitful reward, on the CBS Original series SURVIVOR, Wednesday, March 23 (8:00-9:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network, and available to stream live and on demand on Paramount+*

Double boot next week?  It says one tribe stacks their way to victory, earning immunity and reward.  And the first line about the tribe attempting to recover after TC is interesting if it applies to Taku.  It was a unanimous Marya vote.  Unless this applies to maybe Lindsey, but this just sounds kind of dramatic for what we saw last night.

Edited by LadyChatts
10 hours ago, HurricaneVal said:

Yeah, all that footage of people struggling in the water was difficult to watch.  I don't think it was editing, or fake drama, Mike really looked like he was struggling, and the surf seemed pretty high, what with how they were getting tossed around.

10 hours ago, LadyChatts said:

If they were bringing those ladder pieces back to shore

I HOPE that’s what they were doing - because if (a) those ladders were attached to floating rafts or buoys and (b) swimmers were congregating around them in high surf conditions, then a ladder can become a widowmaker doubleplusquick.  
Some dive boats use ladders on the stern for divers to get themselves and their gear back on the boat - and in high seas I’ve seen arms and legs broken when a diver gets tangled up in a ladder that’s three foot deep in the water one second, and six feet up in the air the next.  Not to mention you don’t want to be under a rigid wood/metal structure like that when it decides to come crashing back down into the water again.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Nashville said:

I HOPE that’s what they were doing - because if (a) those ladders were attached to floating rafts or buoys and (b) swimmers were congregating around them in high surf conditions, then a ladder can become a widowmaker doubleplusquick.  
Some dive boats use ladders on the stern for divers to get themselves and their gear back on the boat - and in high seas I’ve seen arms and legs broken when a diver gets tangled up in a ladder that’s three foot deep in the water one second, and six feet up in the air the next.  Not to mention you don’t want to be under a rigid wood/metal structure like that when it decides to come crashing back down into the water again.

Rocksroy's face got caught in the rungs.  I'm not sure if he intentionally tried pushing his face through there because he was practically drowning, or if his head was forced in there by the wave.  Either way, judging on that one photo, whoever okayed this competition to go forward clearly wasn't paying attention to the water.  Two of those platforms are covered in water before the challenge started.  Even without watching the preview you can tell this isn't going to end well.  So I can believe they may have to stop the challenge mid-way and either wait out the waves or think of something else.    

Didn't they have a challenge once where people had to hang out and keep their heads in some type of ladder thing, they dropped out when they were too tired to keep their head above water. This reminded me of that challenge but if the waves got to be too large and coming in to fast I can see it going bad really, really fast. Except that challenge would have been an individual challenge and not a team challenge.

Oh, I remember that one!  It made me very tense. 

There was also the other water comp, the whole team was in the water together for the comp, and the one slightly older, kind of out of shape, gal swam off into the corner of the roped off area and was doing a good job of quietly struggling on her way to drowning.  I was screaming at the screen "CHECK ON WHATS-HER-FACE!!!!  CHECK ON WHATS-HER-FACE!!!!  SHE'S NOT OK!!!!" and finally Jeff goes "Oh, hey!  Whats-her-face?!?  Are you alright?!?" I can't remember if they got her some help, or if her tribemates went to help, but the water portion of the challenge (untying bags of puzzle pieces, probably) ended and everyone went to shore. 

That scene gave me the creeps.  That's what drowning looks like--a quiet internal struggle.  TV and the movies always show dramatic over head arm waving and frantic yells, but someone in the course of really drowning doesn't have the energy to do that.  The drowning person's whole focus is on not dying, so they tend to shut down everything else except the struggle to keep the nose and mouth above the water to keep breathing.  When they edited the scene together, there were a few shots where you could see her face, and you could see the intense inward focus of the fight for survival on her face.

It doesn't even have to be rough waters for that to happen. 

• Love 3
On 3/16/2022 at 8:01 PM, LadyChatts said:

Next week-Mike loses the idol (again).

On 3/16/2022 at 8:01 PM, DEL901 said:

Preview looks interesting…looks like the firefighter’s advantage goes walkabout.  

Maybe...maybe not.

In the episode thread, there's been some talk about Mike not following the rules of the Idol by not saying his code-phrase at the IC like it said he must do.  Could TPTB have taken the idol away because he broke the rule?

• Useful 3
(edited)

So here's a sneak peek for this week.  Given the discussion surrounding Mike and his idol, there's something interesting at the end.  Daniel wants to read the note that it came with it, though Mike is hesitant to let him read it, but says "against his better judgement", he let him do it.  Daniel says something in a TH about reading the fine print, so if he somehow discovers the idol isn't active because Mike didn't say the phrase after immediately finding it, could he technically take it?  Very bold and potentially very risky move for Daniel if he does try that.  I also wondered if he could trick someone else into saying the phrase. 

Edited by LadyChatts

So next week, we see predictable TC aftermath at Vati with Mike and Daniel.  In the event that Mike ends up getting his vote back before they go back to TC, I wonder if there's any chance he will become there will be a trio again with Daniel/Chanelle or if that's completely done.  I get the impression that Mike already wasn't trusting Daniel after the idol stunt, and this may have killed any good will left between them.

We also see what probably amounts to nothing at Taku, with MaryAnne saying she can't stand Jonathan in what looks like some petty disagreement.  

And Rocksroy's back to bossing his tribemates around.

Mike seems angry with Daniel next week. I can see Mike turning against Daniel after this past tribal. If Mike gets his vote back, Daniel might be in danger if they go back to tribal.

(edited)
1 hour ago, TVFan1 said:

Mike seems angry with Daniel next week. I can see Mike turning against Daniel after this past tribal. If Mike gets his vote back, Daniel might be in danger if they go back to tribal.

Daniel said something to Mike about not being his #1 ally, but I'm curious if he's actually saying that to Mike or if it's part of larger argument.  Mike did respond to him about getting played. 

I'm curious what kind of damage control Chanelle will do with Lydia and Hai next week, since they thought she was also on their side.

Edited by LadyChatts
11 hours ago, LadyChatts said:

We also see what probably amounts to nothing at Taku, with MaryAnne saying she can't stand Jonathan in what looks like some petty disagreement. 

Whoever she was talking to said something about Jonathan calling her a slob lol.

15 hours ago, LadyChatts said:

I'm curious what kind of damage control Chanelle will do with Lydia and Hai next week, since they thought she was also on their side.

Easy - “Daniel was 100% lying.”  At this point, who wouldn’t believe THAT?  😄

• LOL 1

Next week: aftermath of the Swati vote, where Rocks says he doesn't have a good social game (no kidding).  I really hope we get to hear his thoughts of being blindsided.  I'm glad he didn't get his stubborn way this time.  

Daniel is making the tribe mad because he's fishing, despite having hurt his shoulder earlier.  Hai sets his target on him, but let's be real, Daniel will be an obvious pick to go when/if Vati goes to TC again.

And MaryAnne and Jonathan look to have some stupid fight because he got too close to her foot with the machete.  Okay, that might not be stupid, but I'm worried they are setting Jonathan up to get blindsided.

• Love 2
23 minutes ago, LadyChatts said:

And MaryAnne and Jonathan look to have some stupid fight because he got too close to her foot with the machete.  Okay, that might not be stupid, but I'm worried they are setting Jonathan up to get blindsided.

I’m hoping it is more misdirection like last week’s preview that seemed to show MaryAnne and Jonathan clashing but it turned out to be relatively minor.  And they won both challenges.  

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, DEL901 said:

I’m hoping it is more misdirection like last week’s preview that seemed to show MaryAnne and Jonathan clashing but it turned out to be relatively minor.  And they won both challenges.  

What I find interesting is that in both cases, MaryAnne was complaining to Omar.  We see Omar in next week's preview saying that he's sick of it (the fighting between them).  Of course, that could be misdirection and he's referring to something else.  I think Taku has no real tension like the other two tribes, so they have to show something.  

• Love 1

So many things can be misdirection in the previews, but with Hai wanting to target Daniel is spot on. It's clear he's on the chopping block if Vati goes back to tribal council. Is his shoulder better because he's fishing in next week's preview?

• Love 1
1 hour ago, TVFan1 said:

So many things can be misdirection in the previews, but with Hai wanting to target Daniel is spot on. It's clear he's on the chopping block if Vati goes back to tribal council. Is his shoulder better because he's fishing in next week's preview?

All we get in the trailers is purely the equivalent of a fleeting glimpse, but I get the impression Daniel’s shoulder is a significant point of contention for Hai (and maybe others) - and if the situation is as what appeared to be presented, then to tell the truth I don’t think I could fault Hai or anybody else for being more than a little grumpy with Daniel.  Daniel has been sitting out every other challenge, after all - presumably on account of his shoulder - which means whatever the circumstances may be, the end result is Daniel not helping his tribemates win challenges.

This may be acceptable to the tribe if it’s truly on account of a valid medical issue, to be sure.  If Daniel’s shoulder is okay when it’s time to play with the fishing gear but not when it’s time to pull his weight in challenges, though, then I can see where questions of malingering might start to enter the picture - especially if an IC loss has Vati toting their torches to yet another non-caffeinated TC kaffeeklatsch with Jiffy.

4 hours ago, LadyChatts said:

And MaryAnne and Jonathan look to have some stupid fight because he got too close to her foot with the machete. 

I don't think he came anywhere close to her, but the bamboo does seem to split towards her foot. Also, Jonathan was handling the machete in a safe fashion, unlike when MaryAnne swings it around like it's a play thing.

4 hours ago, LadyChatts said:

Daniel is making the tribe mad because he's fishing, despite having hurt his shoulder earlier. 

Okay, playing Devil's Advocate here, the only reason I could see it being okay for Daniel to be fishing and also want to excuse himself from the challenges as often as possible is that there is no need to go faster, tug harder or otherwise over exert yourself while fishing. I can see a person being okay to do a task as their own pace but not being okay to do a task at a competitive pace.

I haven't been paying attention to what he's doing around camp workwise though and I do think he'd use any excuse to avoid challenges so he can't be blamed so I doubt very much that this is the case.

2 hours ago, grandmabegum said:

I don't think [Jonathan] came anywhere close to [Maryanne], but the bamboo does seem to split towards her foot. Also, Jonathan was handling the machete in a safe fashion, unlike when MaryAnne swings it around like it's a play thing.

Since when is reality a prerequisite for Maryanne to kick in the histrionics?  😄

Okay, playing Devil's Advocate here, the only reason I could see it being okay for Daniel to be fishing and also want to excuse himself from the challenges as often as possible is that there is no need to go faster, tug harder or otherwise over exert yourself while fishing. I can see a person being okay to do a task as their own pace but not being okay to do a task at a competitive pace.

I haven't been paying attention to what he's doing around camp workwise though and I do think he'd use any excuse to avoid challenges so he can't be blamed so I doubt very much that this is the case.

If TPTB are giving the tribes the same sort of spearfishing equipment they have in the past (it’s called a Hawaiian sling), then the arm motions required to work it properly are pretty much exactly what a recovering dislocated shoulder shouldn’t be doing. 😄  So Daniel is either exaggerating his degree of disability when it’s time to perform in comps, or he’s heedlessly risking re-injury - and I wouldn’t expect either option to sit too well with his teammates.

Here’s a video to give an idea what’s involved:

https://youtu.be/MHHj02f2Zvc

Edited by Nashville
Expansion
  • Useful 1

I went back and watched next week's preview.  Hai said something about "fool me twice, shame on me."  Not sure if he's referring to Daniel here or some other scenario.  I do get the impression that they don't understand how Daniel is fishing with a dislocated shoulder, and if he is in fact using that as an out to not compete in the challenges, that's going to put an even bigger target on his back.  

I have to say I honestly didn't expect Daniel to be the one who would be so chaotic in his game play.

21 hours ago, Nashville said:

If TPTB are giving the tribes the same sort of spearfishing equipment they have in the past (it’s called a Hawaiian sling), then the arm motions required to work it properly are pretty much exactly what a recovering dislocated shoulder shouldn’t be doing.

Assuming he's using the sling with his injured arm, that is.

He dislocated his right shoulder.  But the preview shows him holding the spear in his left hand.  So it looks like he's taking that into account.

Also, I'd wager that being in the water makes his bad shoulder feel better.  While swimming, he's "weightless", so there's less stress put on his arm in the first place.

• Love 1

Two hour episode next week.  Since it's not the official merge, maybe it's similar to last seasons episode where Erika got the hourglass challenge and turned back the events.  I wonder if there will be a double boot since it's 2 hours.

• Useful 1
1 hour ago, LadyChatts said:

Two hour episode next week.  Since it's not the official merge, maybe it's similar to last seasons episode where Erika got the hourglass challenge and turned back the events.  I wonder if there will be a double boot since it's 2 hours.

I wondered that too. Maybe the first hour will be about the fake merge/hourglass and the second hour will be the fake merge boot? They might do a double boot, though.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
(edited)

Sneak peek #1 for next week.  Aftermath of the Daniel vote.  Mike isn't happy Chanelle wrote his name down and trusts her even less now.  He actually brings up a good point.

Sneak peek #2 (drop their buffs-not merging, Jeff says something about having to earn their way to the merge).  Also, since they didn't show a shocked MaryAnne when he announced Daniel was gone, I guess even she saw it coming.

Edited by LadyChatts
  • LOL 4
3 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

They did that last season too, right? I can't really remember exactly how it went.

They divided them up into 2 groups for the challenge.  After, Nasser joined the winning team and whatshername went to an island alone with the turn back time hourglass.  

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
On 4/9/2022 at 11:48 AM, DEL901 said:

They divided them up into 2 groups for the challenge.  After, Nasser joined the winning team and whatshername went to an island alone with the turn back time hourglass.  

IIRC ‘whatshername’ was Erika, who ended up winning the game that season.  😁

56 minutes ago, Nashville said:

IIRC ‘whatshername’ was Erika, who ended up winning the game that season.  😁

That’s right, LOL, Erika.  The first Canadian ever to be on Survivor.   Wonder how the two Canadians from this season will do, Omar and MaryAnne.   

(edited)

I think what I love most about going into the fake merge/merge is that there's 3 tribes with equal numbers of people, and no one is dead set on staying "Ika/Taku/Vitai Strong!" like we've seen in previous seasons.  It's not even a case of making big moves, these people just don't like who they are stuck with and want to flip.  So I hope it's a chaotic second half of the season.

That’s right, LOL, Erika.  The first Canadian ever to be on Survivor.   Wonder how the two Canadians from this season will do, Omar and MaryAnne.  

So far I feel like the most I know about Omar is that he's crappy in challenges and is tired of listening to MaryAnne and Jonathan's bickering.  If he broke down crying after blowing a challenge he could be this seasons Heather.  

MaryAnne-I really can't wait to see her in a group with the likes of Tori, Mike, Rocksroy, Chanelle, and really everyone else who hasn't had to be joined at the hip with her 24/7.  She practically broke Jonathan. 

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 2

So next week:

What looks like a chaotic TC.  Only saying that because a bunch of names are being thrown out (MaryAnne, Chanelle, Tori, Romeo-doesn't seem like he's well liked based on the preview).  Maybe the power went to his head a little too much.  

Going to be interesting how much Jonathan can/will provide for others now they aren’t in tribes.  He needs a lot of calories to keep functioning.    On the other hand, he takes pride in being a provider.  

Chanelle and Tori seem like obvious boots.  One thing that could work in their favor is that if people think they aren't well liked, they might be a good person to be sitting next to in the final 3.  MaryAnne might be a target because of her idol/extra vote.  What was interesting is that Drea was seen saying Romeo's name, and they were supposed to be aligned.