Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E06: Homecoming

scarynikki12
  • Start Topic

(edited)

I'm still interested in the characters and unraveling the mysteries, but I'm having an issue with how they write plot points so conveniently. (that's probably not the best phrasing) Naomi just happens to find the exact scientist that's studying the multiverse - who just happens to be near enough to Port Oswego. (Will we ever see this person again??) Dee just happen to find the exact alien who had Qwela's ring -- in the Alien Dive Bar borrowed from Supergirl. And other instances in previous episodes. Things just seem to fall into the characters' laps whenever they need them.

And Naomi's parents are too perfect? Some dramatic tension wouldn't be a bad thing.

And they've been too mysterious with Zumbado; who keeps wanting people to do what he says but giving zero reasons to trust him. But it looks like they'll finally address that next week.

Both Dee and Zumbado have been too guarded, and one-note, but it's not the actors, it's the writing and direction. They don't want to give anything away, but it's become boring at this point.

So the boys found out that the other girl classmate defaced the float, etc. and ... did nothing? Did I miss something? (Very possible.)

Edited by Trini
  • Love 2

[Dang; did we lose everyone already?]

I forgot: So they introduced another superpower for Naomi, but yet we still don't know much about the powers we've already seen.

BTW, does anyone know how many episodes this has for season 1? I assume 13, but haven't been able to verify.

The show is hurting thanks to pacing and writing. I get that ms Duvay wants a higher tier of superhero but it’s  the CW. I keep waiting for her  to do superhero stuff and all we get is snippets. The origin story should have been done in the first ep, maybe the second. They talk too much instead of action, and it’s getting boring. Idk I want to like Naomi, but until now it sounds like she been the perfect kid. I want to see that power and everyone around her just keeps gaslighting her about it. 

Were we supposed to laugh about the lack of helmet and pad use for skaters? That was the weirdest reverse PSA I've ever seen. What's next? Seatbelts are for babies, hahahahaha!

I really expected better writing from a Duvernay product.

I am not totally surprised by the pacing and writing issues. Some of those failings here remind me of the similar failings with Queen Sugar.

I think the actress who plays Naomi is charismatic plus I like the majority of the supporting characters. I just wish the pacing was better. 

Still also do not see any chem between Naomi and Nathan. 

• Love 2

They want this to be a mystery show, but they're not good at that.

... I get that ms Duvay wants a higher tier of superhero but it’s  the CW. I keep waiting for her  to do superhero stuff and all we get is snippets. ... ... They talk too much instead of action, and it’s getting boring. ...

I don't mind that this is less action than the other comicbook shows, but the non-action stuff needs to be better.

20 minutes ago, Chick2Chic said:

I think the actress who plays Naomi is charismatic plus I like the majority of the supporting characters. I just wish the pacing was better. 

Yeah, I don't have a problem with the actors, and mostly characters, but the writing is hindering them.

• Love 1

Yeah, the stuff with Esme/the girl who destroyed the float just seemed to end abruptly.  I'm not entirely sure, but I think she was the principal's daughter, which is why she was so desperate to win and upset that he refused to take the pie to the face.  But it was all underwritten and confusing.  Really though, the entire plot was just to get Nathan and Anthony to finally not hate on each other for once, so progress?

Not surprised that Dr. Bell ended up being shady as hell, but now Zumbado might not be totally a bad guy since he saved Naomi?  Really can't figure him out.

Dee and Adam Blake go to a bar for aliens (kind of reminded me of the one on Supergirl) and now seems to get confirmation that Dee's former love is dead.  But is she?  You never know!

No Lourdes or Jacob again.  Not sure if it's a coincidence or not, but like with the last episode, I felt like the episode took a hit because of it.  Not saying they are my favorite characters here, but I feel like the entire group together is the kind of energy this show needs and their absence was noticeable on that front.

• Love 1
On 3/2/2022 at 8:57 AM, Trini said:

So the boys found out that the other girl classmate defaced the float, etc. and ... did nothing? Did I miss something? (Very possible.)

I think when they saw her Dad? chew her out over her homecoming project they realized she was not in a good place and decided not to bring on more trouble for her. 

• Useful 1
On 3/2/2022 at 9:57 AM, Trini said:

And they've been too mysterious with Zumbado; who keeps wanting people to do what he says but giving zero reasons to trust him. But it looks like they'll finally address that next week.

Both Dee and Zumbado have been too guarded, and one-note, but it's not the actors, it's the writing and direction. They don't want to give anything away, but it's become boring at this point.

The Idiot Ball is getting a workout on this show.

Naomi: I just want some truth.

Zumbado, et al: You can't HANDLE the truth!

Uninformed Naomi getting into trouble or having trouble find her: #@&$#*! Y'all do know that this crap could have been avoided, don't you?

• Love 1

Tuesday night, the CW affiliate ran the State of the Union. They dd that the last time, and I still don't know what it had to be done. I knew I could catch the episode On Demand, but I wound up watching most of it when it aired tonight.

I don't think Naomi (or Naomi herself) is boring. I'm just not compelled to invest energy in the show. It's not a dud by any means. I just . . . can't get THAT into it.

You know, if Naomi really is into superheroes, you'd think she'd be trope savvy. And if she was trope savvy, you'd think she would have seen the doctor's trap about to be sprung five seconds earlier. That's not too harsh, right? If I hear "I found a new source of energy" and "sacrifices need to be made," I'd run.

Heh . . . superhuman bar fight with power restrictions. Amusing.

The guys whose names I forgot . . . basically wound up going to way you'd expect for this show. They bitch at each other out other the defaced float(?), then go "fuck it" and team up to find the real culprit. It's like Naomi was there the whole time.

The backstory shared by Dee about him and Qyela(sp??) sounded similar to the story of Mr. Miracle and Big Barda. Ms. DuVernay was working on a New Gods movie before it was shelved, so I'm wondering if some of the ideas for that will show up in this series? That might be cool.