Type keyword(s) to search

Lightyear (2022)

BetterButter
  • Start Topic

Man, if there isn’t Sox merch already in production, Chapek needs to be fired immediately.  Honestly, the fact that they’ve been dicking around with that stupid Starcruiser hotel, when they could have been designing a new Lightyear ride is bad enough- unless something ridiculous happens this movie is going to be huge, and it would be great if they could do something interesting with it.

Having said that- it’s a little strange to see them lean so hard into the cute comedy sidekick so early in promotion.  It’s l kind of like how for a long time, all they gave us for Zootopia was the sloth dmv scene - it was clever at first, but after a few weeks of it, you wonder if that’s all they’ve got.  I did appreciate that we got a hint at the plot- humans trapped on an alien planet, trying to get home.  I was wondering what happened to the female copilot(?) from the teaser- hope there’s more to her role.  Overall this just seems super fun- and I honestly feel like it’s the movie I’m looking forward to most this summer.

• Love 2

Disney at CinemaCon 2022: The Latest Film Updates on ‘Avatar 2,’ ‘Lightyear,’ ‘Black Panther: Wakanda Forever,’ and More
by Michelle Snow    April 27, 2022
https://thedisneyblog.com/2022/04/27/disney-at-cinemacon-2022-the-latest-film-updates-on-avatar-2-lightyear-black-panther-wakanda-forever-and-more/

Next came 30 minutes of “Lightyear” footage, introduced by a video of actor Chris Evans who voices the real Buzz in the film.

Overall reaction is this is one of Pixar’s finest. No details were given, except to validate that I was right about Sox the robot cat being a big star of the film.

Disney better have a lot of Sox merchandise ready for the film’s release.

“Lightyear” is in theaters June 17, 2022.

Edited by tv echo

Detailed summary of Lightyear footage shown at CinemaCon...

Disney Debuts First Look at David O. Russell’s Star-Packed Film, ‘Lightyear’ and ‘Doctor Strange’ at CinemaCon
BY  CHRIS GARDNER, CAROLYN GIARDINA, PAMELA MCCLINTOCK    APRIL 27, 2022
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/disney-debuts-first-look-david-o-russell-movie-lightyear-doctor-strange-cinemacon-1235131216/ 

Disney previewed 30 minutes of Pixar’s Lightyear, which is set to open June 17 and is the first Pixar title to get a theatrical release since the start of the pandemic. (Soul, Luca and Turning Red debuted on Disney+.)
The movie opens with Buzz — in his iconic spacesuit — along with his best friend and the commander of the mission, Alicia Hawthorne, played by Uzo Aduba, leading the investigation of a distant planet with a sign of life. But the mission goes wrong and they are stranded. With an escape plan in the works, Buzz launches in a Space Shuttle-like craft and inadvertently time travels — multiple times — seeing Alicia engaged then starting a family with another woman on their mission.

By the end of the first act, Buzz loses his friend. Taking command is Gen. Cal Burnside, voiced by Isiah Whitlock Jr. Determined to complete his mission, Buzz returns to space. Later in the film, which will also have an Imax release, he will be joined by new characters Izzy Hawthorne, Alicia’s granddaughter, voiced by Keke Palmer; Mo, voiced by Taika Waititi; and Darby, voiced by Dale Soules. Lightyear also features Buzz’s antagonist, Zurg, voiced by James Brolin. And the famous Space Ranger also gets a new compassion[sic], Sox, a digital cat voiced by The Good Dinosaur helmer Peter Sohn.

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

What’s Coming To Disney+ In June 2022 (US)
May 23, 2022
https://whatsondisneyplus.com/whats-coming-to-disney-in-june-2022-us/

Friday 10th June 2022

Beyond Infinity: Buzz and the Journey to Lightyear
Explore the evolution of Buzz Lightyear from toy to human in the making of Pixar’s Lightyear. Dive into the origin and cultural impact of everyone’s favorite Space Ranger, the art of designing a new “human Buzz,” and the challenges faced by the Lightyear crew along the way.

Edited by tv echo

Lightyear | Legacy of a Space Ranger
Pixar   Jun 1, 2022

Lightyear | You’ve Known the Toy
Pixar  Jun 2, 2022

Michael Giacchino - Mission Perpetual (From "Lightyear"/Audio Only)
DisneyMusicVEVO    Jun 3, 2022

Chris Evans on Channeling Captain America, Taking Over for Tim Allen in ‘Lightyear’
BY KIRSTEN CHUBA    JUNE 9, 2022
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/chris-evans-captain-america-buzz-lightyear-premiere-1235162014/ 

“The characters themselves have a lot of similar overlap in terms of their sense of responsibility and leadership,” Evans told The Hollywood Reporter at the film’s world premiere in Los Angeles on Wednesday. “But they’re very different men, so you take the things that are useful and you leave the things that make Cap, Cap.”
Of that decision to bring a new voice to Buzz, director Angus MacLane explained, “Buzz was a side character in Toy Story and was a little goofier and a little more of a comedic relief. For Buzz to be a main character he needed a little more gravitas, a little more vulnerability, needed to be funny but not in a goofy way that would undercut the drama. Chris embodied all of those things.”

Bringing Allen back in some capacity was not considered during the creative process, either, as producer Galyn Susman said, “Tim really is the embodiment of the toy Buzz, and this isn’t the toy world, so it really doesn’t make sense. There’s not really a role. It would just cause more confusion for audiences instead of helping them understand the movie we’re trying to tell.” MacLane added that it would also tie the film too closely to Toy Story, when the film aims to be its own stand-alone story.

(edited)

Tweeted by Fandango's Erik Davis...

Beyond Infinity | Official Trailer | Disney+
Pixar   Jun 10, 2022

Chris Evans Says It Was 'Daunting' To Take On The Iconic Buzz Lightyear Voice
Access    Jun 8, 2022

Lightyear | Toy Unboxing
Pixar   Jun 9, 2022

Edited by tv echo
  • Like 1
(edited)

Chris Evans on “Lightyear”, Anxiety, & The MCU 🧑‍🚀 MTV News
MTV News   Jun 17, 2022

Chris Evans sits down with Josh Horowitz to talk about 'Lightyear,' which role would bring him back to the MCU, the Mackie/Sebastian Stan texting war, how he thinks about posting his audition tape for Little Shop of Horrors, how he wants to be in Star Wars AND how to cure your anxiety so cancel your therapy session this week and just watch this!

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

As anticipated, this is a fun movie- although I kind of dispute the premise.  This is not the movie that Andy saw in 1995.  This is the movie that Andy makes in 2022 as a reboot of his favorite childhood franchise.

Otherwise, Sox is indeed adorable- and happily I think there’s just the right amount of him.  He could have easily taken over the film - but in most cases, he’s just tagging along with the group.  I  don’t know if I understand how the Zurg twist works, but I think it’s dramatically effective for Buzz.  And I think Chris Evans captures the different levels of Buzz Lightyear.  He definitely nails the heroic and comedic moments- but he also gives depth to the serious beats as well.

Edit: as I think about it further, I would have preferred them to not lose the fuel entirely- but instead use it to help restart the Space Rangers.  Besides that, I think the story is pretty solid.

Edited by Chyromaniac
  • Like 2
  • Love 3

I didn't look up anything about this movie beforehand, so I was a bit suprised with how "grownup" it was. A lot of funny parts (with something for both kids and adults) but also a lot of action and parts that were a bit scary to the young kids in the theatre with us. But knowing nothing about it (other than Chris Evans voiced Buzz) allowed us to play a fun game of "name that voice!" Uzo Aduba and Dale Soules both voiced characters - a fun little Orange is the New Black reunion. 

I agree with @Chyromaniac that it doesn't make sense to have this be the movie Andy saw. But I'm chalking it up being cartoon logic because there were a few things that didn't make sense if you thought about the plot too hard. It was a movie worth the Saturday matinee price though for sure.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

I saw this last night as well.  It made me a little sad that Buzz missed his friend’s whole life, but glad at the same time that he was there to restart the Space Rangers.

Sox was great.  If he could figure out the fuel formula once, he can do it again.  But at this point, so much time has passed, is it worth it?  Better to just live their lives with the vines, giant bugs, and the laser shield.

Was there a short film for anyone?  The theater I saw it in didn’t show one.  And was there a post-credit scene?  I stayed long enough for the mid-credits scene, but just couldn’t manage it until the end end.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I saw this last night as well.  It made me a little sad that Buzz missed his friend’s whole life, but glad at the same time that he was there to restart the Space Rangers.

Sox was great.  If he could figure out the fuel formula once, he can do it again.  But at this point, so much time has passed, is it worth it?  Better to just live their lives with the vines, giant bugs, and the laser shield.

Was there a short film for anyone?  The theater I saw it in didn’t show one.  And was there a post-credit scene?  I stayed long enough for the mid-credits scene, but just couldn’t manage it until the end end.

No Pixar short at my showing either- just Evans and Palmer thanking us for coming.  Is that an AMC thing?  Because the same theater showed a similar Tom Cruise intro for Top Gun.

As for credits scenes:

Spoiler

There are three short scenes- first is mid-credits with Burnside and the LASER shield, then at the end of the credits the robot from the outpost finally finishes giving his directions, lastly after the studio logos it pops back to space where (surprise…) Zurg’s eyes flash red again.

• Love 1
19 minutes ago, Chyromaniac said:

No Pixar short at my showing either- just Evans and Palmer thanking us for coming.  Is that an AMC thing?  Because the same theater showed a similar Tom Cruise intro for Top Gun.

As for credits scenes:

Hide contents

There are three short scenes- first is mid-credits with Burnside and the LASER shield, then at the end of the credits the robot from the outpost finally finishes giving his directions, lastly after the studio logos it pops back to space where (surprise…) Zurg’s eyes flash red again.

Rats.  I stuck around long enough for the first credits scene, but missed the other two.

So even these Pixar writers thought Steve Roger’s time travel ending sucked! VINDICATION!!!!

I enjoyed this. I’m also glad I didn’t wait until it was on Disney+ because of all the idiots crowing about this movie “went woke and got broke” or whatever nitwitism they use, all because of one stupid kiss between two female characters. Did we need this movie? No. But it was fun, and Chris Evans was perfect as Buzz Lightyear. It’s almost a shame it wasn’t live action because his perfect chiseled face would have been a dead ringer for Buzz.

What?

I did love Sox the cat. As well as Izzy and the rest of the team. I have no problem with this movie co-existing with the Buzz Lightyear cartoon series co-existing in the Toy Story universe: plenty of movies got cartoon series that had little to nothing to do with the movie’s original plot. See also: Beetlejuice.

• Like 4
  • Applause 2

I watched it tonight with my kids on D+. It was fun but the whole light speed time travel thing seemed kind of complex for a kids movie. Also if they needed hyperspeed to get home at the end of the mission wouldn't they have run into the same time dilation issues?

Also I get that this was the movie that Andy saw in 1995, but I am curious, did he see a live action movie or an animated movie. Like in Andy's world is there a Chris Evans who looks like the character we saw and played Buzz on screen?

• Useful 1

I really liked this. It was smart, moving, and really fun. I loved Buzz, and adored Sox.

So I don't get the IMDB ratings -- is it because he had an LGBTQ friend? AGHGHGH. I hate everything. That makes me so sad.

Anyway, I liked it a lot. I honestly loved the first half hour the most -- it was so daring, and nothing after it quite lived up to that for me, unfortunately, although I liked everything. And Sox made it all worth it. I would die for Sox. There. It's out there. And  there were two scenes in this where I literally gasped in horror (Sox-related).

I thought the first half was better than the second half, but I really liked it.

On 6/18/2022 at 1:39 PM, Chyromaniac said:

As anticipated, this is a fun movie- although I kind of dispute the premise.  This is not the movie that Andy saw in 1995.  This is the movie that Andy makes in 2022 as a reboot of his favorite childhood franchise.

I wish they'd tweaked that opening. That this is a reimagining of that movie. Or the animated movie that followed the live-action. Something. Etc.

On 6/18/2022 at 4:29 PM, shantown said:

I didn't look up anything about this movie beforehand, so I was a bit suprised with how "grownup" it was. A lot of funny parts (with something for both kids and adults) but also a lot of action and parts that were a bit scary to the young kids in the theatre with us. But knowing nothing about it (other than Chris Evans voiced Buzz) allowed us to play a fun game of "name that voice!" Uzo Aduba and Dale Soules both voiced characters - a fun little Orange is the New Black reunion. 

I agree with @Chyromaniac that it doesn't make sense to have this be the movie Andy saw. But I'm chalking it up being cartoon logic because there were a few things that didn't make sense if you thought about the plot too hard. It was a movie worth the Saturday matinee price though for sure.

I loved the grownup elements. Loved the almost Up-level poignance of the opening. Loved the dedication to astronomy and physics. I got a little tired with the "goofy team that will help save the world." 

On 6/18/2022 at 7:44 PM, choclatechip45 said:

It started off slow, but once it started to pick up I really enjoyed it. 

Weirdly, I loved the first quarter the most. It was so brave and weird and cool. I lost interest when the standard goofball team entered the picture, although I cared about them too.

On 6/18/2022 at 11:47 PM, Browncoat said:

Sox was great.  If he could figure out the fuel formula once, he can do it again.  

Great point! 

On 6/26/2022 at 11:44 AM, Spartan Girl said:

So even these Pixar writers thought Steve Roger’s time travel ending sucked! VINDICATION!!!!

I enjoyed this. I’m also glad I didn’t wait until it was on Disney+ because of all the idiots crowing about this movie “went woke and got broke” or whatever nitwitism they use, all because of one stupid kiss between two female characters. Did we need this movie? No. But it was fun, and Chris Evans was perfect as Buzz Lightyear. It’s almost a shame it wasn’t live action because his perfect chiseled face would have been a dead ringer for Buzz.

What?

I did love Sox the cat. As well as Izzy and the rest of the team. I have no problem with this movie co-existing with the Buzz Lightyear cartoon series co-existing in the Toy Story universe: plenty of movies got cartoon series that had little to nothing to do with the movie’s original plot. See also: Beetlejuice.

OH MY GOD. Thank you. 

1. Steve's ending fricking sucked. 
2. The movie includes diverse characters and orientations. I know. How will people ever survive the horror. (eyeroll)
3. I would die for Sox.
4. I totally bought this as the "inspiration" film (possibly remade) for Buzz. Totally made sense.

On 8/8/2022 at 5:39 PM, Kel Varnsen said:

Also I get that this was the movie that Andy saw in 1995, but I am curious, did he see a live action movie or an animated movie. Like in Andy's world is there a Chris Evans who looks like the character we saw and played Buzz on screen?

My take is that the original was live-action and what we are seeing is the animated remake. Just my take. I could also take that it was what we saw and live-action, just not for us.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
13 hours ago, paramitch said:

My take is that the original was live-action and what we are seeing is the animated remake. Just my take. I could also take that it was what we saw and live-action, just not for us.

It's kind of weird to wrap your head around though since Andy is also animated.

• LOL 1
7 hours ago, Kel Varnsen said:

It's kind of weird to wrap your head around though since Andy is also animated.

Definitely!! But it also made me chuckle, so I liked the idea.

(I loved that several times, there is a visual callback of Buzz inside his helmet, looking suspiciously around the planet, which directly echoes Buzz in TOY STORY, looking suspiciously around inside his helmet.)

• Love 2
On 6/18/2022 at 4:39 PM, Chyromaniac said:

YES!! This is my biggest problem with the movie. There is no way this was the movie Andy saw in 1995 that made him a huge fan of the character Buzz Lightyear.

I love and totally accept your idea that this movie is the Andy is making as a reboot of his beloved childhood franchise. While I'm horrible with numbers and math, I think it works out about right. If Andy were a real person, he would be about the right age now to be a key person on a creative team (like a writer or a director) for a big movie.

• Like 1
On 8/14/2022 at 1:12 AM, Sarah 103 said:

love and totally accept your idea that this movie is the Andy is making as a reboot of his beloved childhood franchise. While I'm horrible with numbers and math, I think it works out about right. If Andy were a real person, he would be about the right age now to be a key person on a creative team (like a writer or a director) for a big movie

I don't know, I kind of like the idea that the movie was supposedly put out in 1995, since it means Andy's world is way more progressive than ours. At least when it comes to movies marketed to kids.

Edited by Kel Varnsen
  • Like 1
  • Love 3
On 8/18/2022 at 8:48 PM, Kel Varnsen said:

I don't know, I kind of like the idea that the movie was supposedly put out in 1995, since it means Andy's world is way more progressive than ours. At least when it comes to movies marketed to kids.

I will accept alternate universal as a plausible explanation. 

• Love 2

To be perfectly honest, I wish they didn’t try to explain it at all.  I know earlier I suggested this was “older Andy’s” movie- but that was mostly just my jokey first reaction to the trailer.  “Oh look, the kid grew up and made a Buzz film…”. In general, I don’t know that this film needs contextualization within the greater Toy Story narrative.  Like, did the Disney Channel cartoon show also need a title card?  Or can the audience understand that Disney made a thing about a character, that appears in a different style in other different shows?

On 8/25/2022 at 12:51 PM, Chyromaniac said:

To be perfectly honest, I wish they didn’t try to explain it at all.  I know earlier I suggested this was “older Andy’s” movie- but that was mostly just my jokey first reaction to the trailer.  “Oh look, the kid grew up and made a Buzz film…”. In general, I don’t know that this film needs contextualization within the greater Toy Story narrative.  Like, did the Disney Channel cartoon show also need a title card?  Or can the audience understand that Disney made a thing about a character, that appears in a different style in other different shows?

I would have been totally okay with this movie if Disney had made a stand-alone Buzz Lightyear movie that is about the character that exists within the Toy Story Universe. I think having some context would be helpful so that people understand this is not the adventures of the Buzz Lightyear toy from the Toy Story films, but the adventures of character Buzz Lightyear as he exists within the Toy Story universe. My problem is with the specifics of the title card in the actual movie. I do not believe this is the movie that would make Andy or any kid a huge fan of the chracter and want the toy version for a major holiday.