Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E12: Spies, part 1

• Start Topic

Talk about your Law & Order twist. Your mentor might be a double agent.

Any hope for a shared universe is gone with Beula Koale who played a main cast Hawaii 5-0 Officer Junior Reigns turns up as a New Zealand spy. And it seems that new Zealand can act against china when all other nations fear to thread. So I wouldn't expect any magnum or H50 reoccuring characters to make an appearance unless CBS forces a sweeps week event.

So it seems Agent Boone went out with Agent Tara on her first field assignment. While they use the "boss" terminology from the mothership there is no "probie" being heard in relation to Lucy.

As an episode I think it was a rebound from my weakest episode, the undercover poker game last week. If the NFL didn't have two classic games I would be angry at having to wait for part 2 to see if aunty Maggie is really bad.

Thanks to the Expanse's Bobbie I knew why Junior was all of a sudden talking weirdly (no offense to any Kiwis but if you're not a native speaker that's a confusing accent).

Spy vs Spy games are always entertaining. I was confused when Myra identified the guy on the photo as a policeman because that did not add with the whole Bao legend, good to see how that was the hook for Sola to notice something off. I do wonder which fantastic database Ernie was accessing to find aliases of MSS agents. And what about Myra's sister and her husband? Bit cold-blooded but maybe that's a dangling plotline for part 2.

Ah, we're going down the your mentor is a traitor route? Plenty of angsting ahead!

Edited by MissLucas
  • Love 1

I'm still really digging how unique this show is in the NCIS universe, but last night really felt like a recycled and reworked Doris McGarrett/Shelburn/Wo Fat/Steve McGarrett plot from Hawaii 50

Julie White is one of my favorite character actresses, and I really like the character of Maggie, so I feel a little betrayed by last night's episode.  There's a second part, right?  So maybe this will all turn around again.

The youthenizing CGI was awful as usual, but not nearly as bad as the horrific "Young Hetty" abomination that showed up on NCIS: LA so I'll give them a pass. 

One thing that really did not ring true was how the whole team just barged into Maggie's house to search it and to leave surveillance behind.  WTF?  Isn't Maggie supposedly something like the best field agent the CIA has ever had?  Like she wouldn't have security better than anything Ernie could detect, and observational skills that would tell her that her place had been tossed?  Also, if she were keeping a relationship with Jane to keep spying, she also might have had surveillance on Jane's house that is better than Ernie could detect--possibly even external so them all converging on Jane's house on a weekend would certainly be noted if that were the case. 

Jane would know all that so it didn't seem to be terribly well done on her part.

And all props to Beula Koale!  Except for his appearance--which he can't do much about--there was not a whisper of Junior Reigns in that New Zealand agent, not in his body language, facial expressions, or accent.  Nicely done! 

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, Crs97 said:

I taped the show and didn't account for the football game's OT so missed the last ten minutes.  How did they decide Maggie might be a double agent?

Auntie Maggie's known locations were the same as they suspected of being Bao appearance's

• Useful 1

I get that it's a TV show, and on TV, people never seem to pull over for cops and flashing sirens, but all I could think of when Lucy and Boone were chasing the car with the Chinese agents was that it sure would be useful to have a siren.  Are NCIS personnel not considered cops with authority to halt traffic?

22 hours ago, HurricaneVal said:

One thing that really did not ring true was how the whole team just barged into Maggie's house to search it and to leave surveillance behind.  WTF?  Isn't Maggie supposedly something like the best field agent the CIA has ever had?  Like she wouldn't have security better than anything Ernie could detect, and observational skills that would tell her that her place had been tossed? 

EXACTLY!  She would very likely at least have basic security cameras.  And probably much more like you said.

Oh, wow, Junior from Hawaii Five-0.

I was wondering why they made him from New Zealand, and it turns out he was born there. I had no idea. He hid it well.

The whole thing with Maggie immediately insisting on drinks should have been a tip-off.

• Useful 1