Type keyword(s) to search

Heartland - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On 12/6/2019 at 11:44 PM, The Ringo Kidd said:

I just finished Season 13 on the Amazon fire stick. 

I want to know if there is confirmation on season 14.

I take it from what you said that the end of season 13 leaves the door pretty clearly open for a 14th season. I'm sure that at this point Heartland is pretty much rubber stamped for a new season as long as they want to keep making them. From what I understand it's a Canadian institution now. 

I love the show but feel that they need to be wrapping it up soon. They shouldn't stay on too long and they need a proper ending wrapped up nice and neat. 

It's been on so long now. It started out with Amy in high school and now she's a mom. They brought Georgie on to replace Mallory and now Georgie is about college age. Tim has gray hair now. If it stays on much longer they'll have to start making episodes about Amy's and Lou's young daughters.

• Love 1
On 1/25/2020 at 12:11 AM, Aryanna said:

I take it from what you said that the end of season 13 leaves the door pretty clearly open for a 14th season. I'm sure that at this point Heartland is pretty much rubber stamped for a new season as long as they want to keep making them. From what I understand it's a Canadian institution now. 

I love the show but feel that they need to be wrapping it up soon. They shouldn't stay on too long and they need a proper ending wrapped up nice and neat. 

It's been on so long now. It started out with Amy in high school and now she's a mom. They brought Georgie on to replace Mallory and now Georgie is about college age. Tim has gray hair now. If it stays on much longer they'll have to start making episodes about Amy's and Lou's young daughters.

I Would love to see the show go on for many more seasons. and i like the idea of the show being more focused on the kids.

I feel like that would bring much more new story line to the show.

Any Canadians on here? Will there be a season 14? 

I'm thinking of getting rid of cable and just streaming. I feel like this show is near the end but want to see it through to completion. I know I can get UP on Prime channels but don't really want to pay 5 bucks just to watch Heartland. I suppose I can cancel at any time tho. Has anyone else subscribed to a Prime channel? If so give me the deets. 

Edited by Aryanna
On 4/27/2020 at 11:53 AM, Aryanna said:

Last time I checked netflix they only had up though season 11

Correct, that is where I am right now. So I'm so far behind that everything is spoilers to me. 

• Love 1

I would love to see a spin off series about Jack and June. Don’t tell me I’m the only one.

Spoiler

Jack and June’s relationship is so sweet and I feel like a one season spinoff about June’s last year could bring a new perspective to heartland and be a very cool and sweet standalone series.

The atmosphere of past Heartland and Hudson were charming and refreshing and I wish I could see more of it.

Lou has always been a bit of a Bossy McBossy, but holy cow, she just gets worse as time goes on, doesn't she?

UpTV is finally playing Chapter 13, and I've decided that Lou is the most overbearing character I've ever watched. I might be exaggerating, but not by much.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

On 6/26/2020 at 8:18 AM, TVForever said:

Lou has always been a bit of a Bossy McBossy, but holy cow, she just gets worse as time goes on, doesn't she?

UpTV is finally playing Chapter 13, and I've decided that Lou is the most overbearing character I've ever watched. I might be exaggerating, but not by much.

I agree

I did the 7 day free trial of UP on Amazon. I'm totally streaming now. No cable for me. I watched season 13 of Heartland and then canceled before the 7 days were over.

I've gotten to where Lou annoys me so much. I've never cared about any of her relationships except Peter. I didn't buy her and Scott as a couple for a second. All of her other relationships have been a bore. Peter is a great character though. But Lou got mad at Peter for having to go to work. She said he wasn't home enough. So she divorced him and then left her kids for months at a time while she went to New York to try to franchise Maggie's Diner. She was a way worse absentee mother than Peter had ever been as a father. 

Now with Mitch she can never make up her mind. She tells him he needs to decide whether he wants a relationship with her or not and when he says he absolutely does she backs off and ghosts him. Then this season she says he needs to commit and when he calls her on it and says they should buy a place and live together she's like "Ummm...yeah, that's gonna be a no for me dawg." So since she can't seem to make up her mind he gives her space and backs off and then she gets mad at him and tells him he needs to be around and support her as if it's his fault. 

Along with not being able to make up her mind she can't seem to focus. The dude ranch was her idea but she never seems to spend any time running it or put any effort into it so it never has any guests. The only person that ever seems to stay there is Peter or sometimes a friend of the family. But she couldn't stay focused on that. So she bought Maggie's and supposedly runs that place. But she's hardly ever actually there to run it. And she couldn't stay focused on that so she runs for mayor and is elected. If she gives that position the same focus that she gives to Maggie's, the dude ranch, her children and her bf then the town of Hudson is in trouble. 

Edited by Aryanna
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, DarkHorse said:

Ep 1 of Season 14

Spoiler

Ya, well, now they can rework this character again, which in my mind won't do the show any favors. I think this show was the best for the first 10 seasons, then it got dull, and what has happened now seems desperate. It should have ended, but now you can't put the toothpaste back into the tube. 

But I agree that Amy has aged poorly, but I noticed that since season 9. It could be how she wears her hair; she needs bangs or something to make her face less severe.

Edited by enduringforce
  • Love 1

I don't know what it is about these family-friendly feel good shows that makes them never end.  They're around for like, twice as long as cultural zeitgeists like Game of Thrones or Seinfeld.  Heartland is going to start rivaling Grey's Anatomy for the title of "Show that Overstayed Its Welcome By About a Decade."

...and yet, I still half-heartedly (no pun intended) follow them.  I think it might be hate-watching.  Anyway.  Lou being mayor is going to get on my nerves.  And I think Amber is still a pretty lady, though I saw someone once say she looked like a young Hilary Clinton and now I can't unsee it (nothing against either woman).  And I think bad makeup on the show isn't helping her at all.  I don't know why the makeup department always uses the wrong shade of cakey foundation and concealer for her but it makes her skin and undereye circles look much worse than they really are.  In the early seasons they hardly used any makeup on her at all and she had lovely skin with cute freckles.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
7 minutes ago, childeroland said:
  Reveal spoiler

Wasn't expecting Ty's death at all. Wonder why Wardle wanted to leave.

Yeah this is what I mean about shows going on too long.  I was spoiled for that happening but I didn't think it would happen quite so early.

Spoiler

At some point it's inevitable that actors will want to leave, and if they play main characters, you kind of don't have a choice except to kill them off.  I guess at least Ty died of something plausible, I've seen some really freak explanations of ways of killing off otherwise completely healthy young people.  And this can now join the ranks of "family friendly" shows that somehow feature more tragedy and suffering than primetime dramas.

5 hours ago, TVForever said:

Is Season 14 only playing in Canada right now? I cant find it on the UPTV schedule.

I think it's currently only airing in Canada.  

• Useful 2
On 1/15/2021 at 2:49 PM, enduringforce said:

It is only in Canada but the episodes are also on Youtube. 

I looked on YouTube but couldn't find it. All I find is trailers for season 14 and videos that say they're season 14 episode 1 but they really aren't.

I still like the show. I like the characters but I do believe that they need to start wrapping it up. 14 seasons is long enough.

12 hours ago, Aryanna said:

I still like the show. I like the characters but I do believe that they need to start wrapping it up. 14 seasons is long enough.

If Season 14 ends up being the last one I think I might laugh in a gallows humor kind of way.  Like, you guys write out a major character and take away the audience's happy ending, all so you can have one more season?  If that's the case why not just bring all the actors back with the promise of, if you stick around just for one more year, we promise we'll end things?

Ironically this move might have bought them some time and they can get a couple of seasons out of characters moving on and rebuilding their lives.  The stories were incredibly tired and they have been out of ideas for five years now; this opens doors for new opportunities.  Though it's kind of tough to do that when you build your show around an epic love story for 14 years, give the characters who remain exactly two episodes to recover, and then you introduce new love interests.  I've learned not to get attached to show couples for that reason, because you just know show runners are going to be like, "No, no, no!  We never said these people were soulmates even though we totally were screaming that from the rooftops!  Who cares that one of them is gone...here's a shiny new hot guy to distract you!"  It happens so often it's become a trope.

• Love 4

This was one of the worst endings in Television history. Killing off Ty was a ridiculous move especially as someone has already said if this is the end of the series. If they did it to open it up for new plots Han I can see it but otherwise it is a a massive fail.

To think I was so happy to get a new season.

Boo!

• Love 3
On 6/5/2021 at 5:53 PM, Feech said:

This was one of the worst endings in Television history. Killing off Ty was a ridiculous move especially as someone has already said if this is the end of the series. If they did it to open it up for new plots Han I can see it but otherwise it is a a massive fail.

To think I was so happy to get a new season.

Boo!

Thanks for using spoiler tags guys.

I stream and so have not seen any of season 14 yet.

I mean, it aired in Canada over six months ago, and it's airing on Up now in the States.  At some point, the secret was going to get out.

It's funny how we were discussing Amber Marshall aging poorly -- Kerry James is the new Tim, where his hair turned white practically overnight.  He's still something of a silver fox and I know you can't help your genes, but still, dude is only 34.

• Love 1
On 7/10/2021 at 3:41 AM, dubstepford wife said:

I mean, it aired in Canada over six months ago, and it's airing on Up now in the States.  At some point, the secret was going to get out.

It's funny how we were discussing Amber Marshall aging poorly -- Kerry James is the new Tim, where his hair turned white practically overnight.  He's still something of a silver fox and I know you can't help your genes, but still, dude is only 34.

He looks like he has lost some weight so not sure if that is due to illness or some strict regime but that can mess with someone's system even if weight loss is meant to be seen as a good thing. 

I think in real life Amber is an outdoorsy horse girl so I'm thinking she spends a lot of time in the sun and wind and that has made her look much older than she is. 

• Love 1
On 8/26/2021 at 1:40 AM, LadyIrony said:

I think in real life Amber is an outdoorsy horse girl so I'm thinking she spends a lot of time in the sun and wind and that has made her look much older than she is. 

It's odd because she looked like a kid for many seasons and then all of a sudden she looked old. It was like there was no in between.

So I've watched the first episode of season 14 now. I hate that they killed off Ty. I agree with the others on here, if it was done to squeeze another season or two out of the show then it was a big mistake. I love the show but it needs to end. And to not give the fans a happy ending with Amy and Ty is a disservice to the people who have watched for so long.

I'm not really sure how they'll get more seasons out of the show. Georgie came in and kind of took over Amy's position in the show but now Georgie has grown out of that role. She's away at school and training etc. so she can't really fill that role. Katie is still too young plus I don't think she's that strong of an actress.

I loved Peter in this show and he's pretty much gone. They've now killed off Ty. No offense to the actor that plays Mitch, but I've never been a big fan of that character. They're ruining this show. They should've just gone out on top instead of seeing how many more seasons they can get out of it.

• Love 2

It's odd to me because they did a time jump of a year after Ty died but they keep acting like it just happened. Not sure what the reason for the time jump if they're gonna treat it like it happened just a couple of weeks ago.

So glad to see more Peter in these episodes. I always loved him. And I think he looks handsome with his beard. I wonder if he has a hairy or smooth chest. 

On 10/15/2021 at 11:58 AM, Aryanna said:

It's odd because she looked like a kid for many seasons and then all of a sudden she looked old. It was like there was no in between.

So I've watched the first episode of season 14 now. I hate that they killed off Ty. I agree with the others on here, if it was done to squeeze another season or two out of the show then it was a big mistake. I love the show but it needs to end. And to not give the fans a happy ending with Amy and Ty is a disservice to the people who have watched for so long.

I'm not really sure how they'll get more seasons out of the show. Georgie came in and kind of took over Amy's position in the show but now Georgie has grown out of that role. She's away at school and training etc. so she can't really fill that role. Katie is still too young plus I don't think she's that strong of an actress.

I loved Peter in this show and he's pretty much gone. They've now killed off Ty. No offense to the actor that plays Mitch, but I've never been a big fan of that character. They're ruining this show. They should've just gone out on top instead of seeing how many more seasons they can get out of it.

Yes exactly! She was very youthful looking, I don't know much about the actors on this show so not sure if she got sick or had something happen that just aged her quicker in some way. or if it was just the outdoors life. I just saw the first ep of the new season and it looks like word got out because she seemed to be wearing a lot more foundation which has softened her features. 

And yes, killing off Ty has pardon the pun, taken the "heart" out of "heartland". For a few seasons now anyway they have just been repeating themselves by getting in younger actors to do the rinse and repeat. 

I hated Georgie when she first appeared but grew to like her. I have not liked any of the younger replacements since. They have just been annoying. 

On 10/19/2021 at 3:59 PM, Aryanna said:

It's odd to me because they did a time jump of a year after Ty died but they keep acting like it just happened. Not sure what the reason for the time jump if they're gonna treat it like it happened just a couple of weeks ago.

So glad to see more Peter in these episodes. I always loved him. And I think he looks handsome with his beard. I wonder if he has a hairy or smooth chest. 

I have to admit my interest was waning last season anyway and I just watched the new season ep. I struggled, I don't really care about the family anymore. I think the show ran it's course a while ago. 

They need some original story lines instead of just repeating themselves and more actual horse stuff not show riding. I always liked seeing Gramps and co out on the range. 

Edited by LadyIrony
  • Love 1
On 11/18/2021 at 4:35 PM, LindaT said:

Is anybody still watching?  We're in the middle of season 15 and nothing is really happening.  Let's get Amy a new hunky but sensitive love interest!

I'm in the States so season 14 is the most recent I've been able to watch.

16 minutes ago, Aryanna said:

I'm in the States so season 14 is the most recent I've been able to watch.

Aryanna, I am in the States too (Seattle).  We watch season 15 on the CBC channel every Sunday night (Xfinity Cable).  It is on demand so you can binge-watch. 

23 hours ago, LindaT said:

Aryanna, I am in the States too (Seattle).  We watch season 15 on the CBC channel every Sunday night (Xfinity Cable).  It is on demand so you can binge-watch. 

I don't have cable. Streaming only. When a new season comes out on Up I do the 7 day free trial on Amazon and watch the whole thing.

On 11/19/2021 at 9:35 AM, LindaT said:

Is anybody still watching?  We're in the middle of season 15 and nothing is really happening.  Let's get Amy a new hunky but sensitive love interest!

Still watching but wondering why! They seem to be setting up the usual thing they like to do with repeating story lines/character types. The new girl being some kind of horse whisperer. Kind stand that little SJW girl all upset about everything every chance she gets either.

Spoiler

I really don't care that Mitch and skinny legs are getting back together. I always wondered what her problem was, Mitch was loaded! Tim's wife seems overbearing and ill suited to him and the family/ranch. More Caleb would be good. 

I think this new guy the Farrier is being set up as Amy's new love interest. And I know it's a show but given Ty really was the love of her life I think it is too early for that. 

Amy really does look like an old woman. There has been discussion about it being her hair but I think it is just her. She looks older than the older women in the show. 

Has anyone else picked up a shift in Amy and the show? I thought it was really odd that even though she knows her horse Spartan has arthritis she still rides him! That doesn't seem very sensitive to me, exercise him sure but riding him? Also that drought horse going blind, seems cruel to continue pushing the poor thing although in reality they would probably put him down if he wasn't useful.

She just seems to have lost some of the compassion, then again maybe it was never there.

I thought she was way too kind to the guy who shot Ty as well. 

• Love 1
On 12/12/2021 at 12:46 PM, LadyIrony said:

"I think this new guy the Farrier is being set up as Amy's new love interest. And I know it's a show but given Ty really was the love of her life I think it is too early for that." 

In Heartland time it has been 2 years.  I know I want to see Amy happy before the end of the series.  Who knows how much longer it this series can go on for.  

On 12/15/2021 at 8:39 AM, LindaT said:

In Heartland time it has been 2 years.  I know I want to see Amy happy before the end of the series.  Who knows how much longer it this series can go on for.  

I forgot about 2 years passing. I think they will run this show into the ground rather than end it! A shame as it was really good for a while.

• Love 2
On 12/14/2021 at 3:39 PM, LindaT said:

That's kinda turning out to be a problem. In the timeline of the show it's been a couple of years but to the fans it hasn't been that long. It feels too soon to us.

I saw a new season on Netflix but when I clicked on it I realized I'd already seen it. It's season 15 that I'm needing to watch. I guess I need to do the 7 day free trial again to watch it bc I'm not gonna wait a year for Netflix to get it.

For some reason I started watching this on Netflix, and now I'm weirdly addicted and halfway through Season 4, LOL.  

It cracks me up that Amy is expert or a quick study in literally all things horse.  Horse training!  Horse whispering!  Barrel racing!  Rodeo!  Show jumping!  Halfway through Season 4, her father is trying to turn her into a jockey ... even though she is kind of tall.  Hee.  

My only issues with the show so far are that I wish they'd give Soraya a plot line ... and I really, really, really don't like Tim most of the time.  His abrasive nature is like nails on a chalkboard for me.  

• Love 2
15 hours ago, SlovakPrincess said:

For some reason I started watching this on Netflix, and now I'm weirdly addicted and halfway through Season 4, LOL.  

It cracks me up that Amy is expert or a quick study in literally all things horse.  Horse training!  Horse whispering!  Barrel racing!  Rodeo!  Show jumping!  Halfway through Season 4, her father is trying to turn her into a jockey ... even though she is kind of tall.  Hee.  

My only issues with the show so far are that I wish they'd give Soraya a plot line ... and I really, really, really don't like Tim most of the time.  His abrasive nature is like nails on a chalkboard for me.  

You're in what I consider the golden period of Heartland. I still love it but it's not the same show it once was. And I miss some of the characters who no longer appear on the show. Tim does mellow some in later seasons, but not too much.

• Love 3
(edited)

16 hours ago, SlovakPrincess said:

I really, really, really don't like Tim most of the time.  His abrasive nature is like nails on a chalkboard for me.  

I have seen all 15 seasons. For me, over the years, Tim's personality grew to be comic relief with his predictable crankiness and overreactions. Tim was one of my favorite characters, maybe because I am a big fan of the actor who plays him. His interactions with Jack are some of my favorite! The only character I consistently dislike is Lou.

Edited by LindaT
  • Love 4

Tim is supposed to be one you hate/laugh at. He's ridiculous, but then he'll turn around and do/say something good once in a while.

Lou is just ridiculous and self-absorbed.

The show has really changed a lot over the years.  Enjoy those early seasons.

• Love 4

Well, shoot, so far I've been liking Lou.  Now I'm kind of afraid to find out what the writers do with her in later seasons!  

I actually think the actor playing Tim is great (and let's be honest, easy on the eyes), and I do enjoy when he and Jack spar sometimes.  It's when he gets brusque and critical of his daughters that I want to slap him -- especially when he gets pushy with Amy, who's such a people-pleaser and looks so stressed out when he's being a jerk (Lou can give it back to him a lot better, because she has the same Type-A personality).    

Val is another one where the actor is just so good at being aggravating.  Ashley and Caleb really grew on me ... but Val is not wrong that Ashley married too young and shouldn't have dropped out of school.  

Mallory is a favorite of mine -- she's cute-annoying, but also a lot more direct and perceptive than the other characters give her credit for, and I've decided I just love her.  

Jack is great.  Lisa is fine, but sometimes the show forgets what to do with her.    

I do, of course, love Amy and Ty, but I've reached the point in Season 4 where they have their contrived break up and I'm just like 🙄.   

• Love 2
17 hours ago, SlovakPrincess said:

Mallory is a favorite of mine -- she's cute-annoying, but also a lot more direct and perceptive than the other characters give her credit for, and I've decided I just love her.  

I do, of course, love Amy and Ty, but I've reached the point in Season 4 where they have their contrived break up and I'm just like 🙄.   

I loved Mallory because of her directness too. She would say things other characters wouldn't but they were things that needed to be said.

The whole Ty/Amy on again and off again did get tiring but the show eventually moved past that. There's only so many contrived ways you can keep them.apart.

• Love 2
On 5/5/2022 at 3:36 PM, Aryanna said:

The whole Ty/Amy on again and off again did get tiring but the show eventually moved past that. There's only so many contrived ways you can keep them.apart.

I do think it's realistic that a young couple (one of whom has never really explored life beyond her family's ranch and hometown) would have flare-ups and issues over time.

But the thing with Ty's idiot friends Grant and Blair showing up in only two episodes, and causing so much drama that Ty and Amy break up,  was extra extra stupid.   It made Amy look unreasonable and overly stubborn.  

(edited)

I finally pulled the trigger on the Up free trial so I could watch season 15. And I have thoughts.

Spoiler

Lou is so aggravating. Remember a few seasons back when she was gone to NY most if the time because she was trying to franchise Maggie's? It would've been great if she never came back. Talk about someone who has failed upward in life. 

She divorced Peter then makes that stupid phone call and when he says he's all in she's like "hold up." Same exact thing she did to her last suitor (can't remember his name). Then when she finally decides she wants to move the relationship forward she gets mad at Peter for not being at her beck and call. She expects the entire world to revolve around her whims. Peter is way too good for her. 

And she treats her businesses like she treats the men in her life. She's headstrong until she gets what she wants and then she gets bored of it. Just find one thing and do it well instead of half assing 6 different things.

She's ruining this show.

I miss Georgie. Katie isn't fleshed out enough to take her place. 

I'm glad they're finally giving Tim a happy ending. He's had so many false starts with relationships that end in heartache. I'm glad they're letting him be happy.

I like Logan. They need to try a little harder to define his and Amy's relationship as mentor and mentee. It feels like it sometimes borders on a somewhat romantic interest.

This season had some.good episodes. I was hoping they'd wrap it up at the end but they left it open ended. I've looked to see if there's gonna be a season 16 but haven't found any official word. I did see a rumor of Ty coming back. That sounds like a jump the shark moment. 

I love this show but with characters like Ty and Georgie gone, they need to wrap it up. The new characters don't add enough interest for me. And I of course still miss characters from the past like Mallory and Ashley.

Edited by Aryanna

I don't know how they could bring back Ty.  He died onscreen.  It's one thing to have a character die offscreen and have there be some sort of misunderstanding, which is easier to do in shows that aren't set in the modern era so DNA isn't a thing yet.  But in a show set in the modern era which plainly showed him dying, I just don't think you could bring him back.  And to my knowledge Ty didn't have any twin brothers.

I'm not sure if they're even going to make another season.  This show was already dying and I think Covid might have been the final nail in the coffin.  It's been, what, two years since they filmed the last season?

8 hours ago, dubstepford wife said:

I don't know how they could bring back Ty.  He died onscreen.  It's one thing to have a character die offscreen and have there be some sort of misunderstanding, which is easier to do in shows that aren't set in the modern era so DNA isn't a thing yet.  But in a show set in the modern era which plainly showed him dying, I just don't think you could bring him back.  And to my knowledge Ty didn't have any twin brothers.

I'm not sure if they're even going to make another season.  This show was already dying and I think Covid might have been the final nail in the coffin.  It's been, what, two years since they filmed the last season?

I agree. If this show goes down the whole never before seen twin brother route, it'll be cheesy.

I wish they'd wrapped it up all nice and tidy because I'm not sure they'll have another season. I haven't seen anything official about a season 16 and they are usually pretty up front about whether it's renewed for another season. I hate for the entire show to end like this. They should at least do like a 90 minute finale or something. 

I'm only a couple of episodes in --  get one per week on regular UpTV -- but it seems like Ty never left with all the flashbacks they throw into the episodes.  It feels like the episodes are half flashback material, with very little else going on.  

2 hours ago, Miss Anne Thrope said:

I'm only a couple of episodes in --  get one per week on regular UpTV -- but it seems like Ty never left with all the flashbacks they throw into the episodes.  It feels like the episodes are half flashback material, with very little else going on.  

What season are you on?