Type keyword(s) to search

Spray & Wash: Spoilers and Speculation

• Start Topic

Episode 3 synopsis:

GARRETT GIVES THONY AN ULTIMATUM ON AN ALL-NEW "THE CLEANING LADY" MONDAY, JANUARY 24, ON FOX

Thony is given a dire ultimatum by Garrett that could compromise her son's access to medical treatment. Arman is tasked with collecting large "donations" for Hayak's daughter's wedding, calling into question his real role within the family. Meanwhile, a rift forms between Fiona and her son, Chris, when a secret is revealed that has major consequences for his future, sending Fiona into a spiral as she tries to find a solution in the all-new "Legacy" episode of THE CLEANING LADY airing Monday, Jan. 24 (9:01-10:00 PM ET/PT) on FOX. (CLD-103) (TV-14 D, L, V)

Cast: Élodie Yung as Thony, Adan Canto as Arman Morales, Martha Millan as Fiona, Oliver Hudson as Garrett, Sebastien and Valentino LaSalle as Luca, Faith Bryant as Jaz, Sean Lew as Chris

Guest Cast: Deniz Akdeniz as Tarik, Navid Negahban as Hayak Barsamian, Eva De Dominici as Nadia, Jay Mohr as Councilman Eric Knight, Harold Fisch as Carlos, Liza Weil as Katherine Russo, Shiva Negar as Isabel Barsamian, Beth Bailey as Dr. Laura Kirschner, Ellen Humphreys as Janna, Marcos Martinez as Eduardo Morales, Dan Davidson as Wyatt Jennings, Erinn Bartlett as Colleen Miller, Chris Gann as Councilman Charles Burton, Daniel Peera as Ben Tashjian, Rana Haddad as Vida Barsamian, Dean Allen Williams as Sammy Miller, Jessica Delgado as Lexi Torres/Aerial Dancer

With the mob already saying work for us because we don't want to kill you and I expect the FBI about to threaten to deport Thony's sister in law I don't see how a story can survive for multiple seasons in normal American TV style.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Raja said:

With the mob already saying work for us because we don't want to kill you and I expect the FBI about to threaten to deport Thony's sister in law I don't see how a story can survive for multiple seasons in normal American TV style.

I said something similar in the thread for the pilot. There are too many threats to Thony and her family; it's just not sustainable. Something has to give; preferably sooner than later.

Then again, this is on Fox, so it might only last 2 or 3 seasons anyway....

She will play a long game to eventually sabotage the FBI. Sexy felon has actually saved her son while Agent Dickhead has done nothing but terrorize her family. All she needs to do is record him being inappropriate and the investigation dies.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, paigow said:

She will play a long game to eventually sabotage the FBI. Sexy felon has actually saved her son while Agent Dickhead has done nothing but terrorize her family. All she needs to do is record him being inappropriate and the investigation dies.

The problem being going public means the killers know that she is blown and agents just following her can lead to their sites before they are clean. And the deportation is done by someone else who was just tipped off that  the people they police, the other sister in this case is there working illegally. 

The Firm is how she gets out... Tom Cruise recorded Ed Harris admitting to professional misconduct while simultaneously blackmailing the mob with incriminating evidence that would be released should he meet an untimely end...

Edited by paigow

And the movies tend to follow  one case. Logically right now I could only  see it play the same here. The FBI is already all over Thony's family so how do you keep a story running for more than one 4 to 6 hour series and out, shorter than Elodie Yung's stint on Netflix's Daredevil.

29 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

Did anyone watch the original series from Argentina?  I'd be curious how close this is to that and where it goes.

Apparently, it’s on Amazon Prime. 

• Useful 3

Episode 4 synopsis:

THONY PLEADS WITH A POTENTIAL DONOR TO HELP LUCA ON AN ALL-NEW "THE CLEANING LADY" MONDAY, JANUARY 31, ON FOX

Lou Diamond Phillips ("Prodigal Son") and his Daughter, Gracie Phillips, Make Guest-Star Appearances

Facing a heartbreaking setback with Luca's treatment, Thony desperately takes matters into her own hands. But when a potential donor refuses to participate, she turns to Arman for help, who escalates the situation to get results. Meanwhile, Garrett makes a risky demand of Thony, pushing her deeper into moral ambiguity in the all-new "Kabayan" episode of THE CLEANING LADY airing Monday, Jan. 31 (9:01-10:00 PM ET/PT) on FOX. (CLD-104) (TV-D, L, V)

Cast: Élodie Yung as Thony, Adan Canto as Arman Morales, Martha Millan as Fiona, Oliver Hudson as Garrett, Sebastien and Valentino LaSalle as Luca, Faith Bryant as Jaz, Sean Lew as Chris

Guest Cast: Lou Diamond Phillips as Joe Fabroa, Jay Mohr as Councilman Eric Knight, Ivan Shaw as Marco, Daniel Lissing as Brandon, Eva De Dominici as Nadia, Liza Weil as Asac Katherine Russo, Dan Davidson as Wyatt Jennings, Jessica Delgado as Lexi Torres/Aerial Dancer, Kathryn Smith-McGlynn as Elaine Moore, Esodie Geiger as Renee Lawson, Harold Fisch as Carlos, Kenneth Maharaj as Dr. Ramtej, Lex Lotito as Unicorn Girl, Gracie Phillips as Grace

Thony desperately takes matters into her own hands. But when a potential donor refuses to participate, she turns to Arman for help, who escalates the situation to get results.

So it sounds like while Thony isn't exactly breaking bad she does turn to the mob which will break bad for her after a we're  kabayan appeal doesn't work.

12 minutes ago, paigow said:

Why would anybody sign up on a donor list just to back out? This is the second time. 

The social pressure as say the entire office signs up for a co-workers daughter but then the stranger is someone you match with. Even with a our parents came from the same land appeal if he signed up for some other girl.

4 hours ago, Raja said:

The social pressure as say the entire office signs up for a co-workers daughter but then the stranger is someone you match with. Even with a our parents came from the same land appeal if he signed up for some other girl.

This is some kind of bone marrow/ stem cell donation... not an organ... just some pain... but now the deal is donate [and get paid] or die...

Episode 5 synopsis:

THONY MUST CHOOSE LOYALTIES ON AN ALL-NEW "THE CLEANING LADY" MONDAY, FEBRUARY 7, ON FOX

When a party bus cleanup job takes a turn for the worse, and Garrett puts Thony in a threatening position, she must choose between her loyalty to Arman and saving Fiona from deportation. Meanwhile, after all his efforts to secure a new business for Hayak, Arman is blindsided when Hayak chooses his daughter over him on the all-new "The Icebox" episode of THE CLEANING LADY airing Monday, Feb. 7 (9:01-10:00 PM ET/PT) on FOX. (CLD-105) (TV-14 D, L, S)

Guest Cast: Navid Negahban as Hayak Barsamian, Eva De Dominici as Nadia, Cosima Cabrera as Gabby, Shiva Negar as Isabel Barsamian, Daniel Peera as Ben Tashjian, Liza Weil as Asac Katherine Russo, Ramona DuBarry as Officer Ruiz, Gabriela C. Ortega as Roxy, Tasos Hernandez as Officer Olea, Karimah Campbell Taylor as Esther, Dolores Deluce as Old Lady, Vega Vargas as Male Ice Agent, Simone Gurule as Female Ice Agent, Ted Taskey as Owen Davis, Jason Potter as Young Ice Agent, Santo Militello as Male Guard, Merritt C. Glover as Intake Officer, Rodney Williams as Agent, Janelle Baptiste as Samentha, Andrea Kepple as Maid #2

About this show having too many threats coming for Thony - well - that's what I love about it.  Not a lot of tv shows have urgency like this and I love it.  This is what Roswell, NM SHOULD have been like - constant threats from all sides to keep the stakes high.  This show has great pacing because it manages to balance and push the stakes.  I love that.

The next few episodes sound awesome.

I do think eventually some of the stakes will have to be mitigated or eliminated but hopefully new ones will crop up.

This is my favorite new suspense drama.

Edited by phoenics
grammar
  • Love 1
55 minutes ago, phoenics said:

About this show having too many threats coming for Thony - well - that's what I love about it.  Not a lot of tv shows have urgency like this and I love it.  This is what Roswell, NM SHOULD have been like - constant threats from all sides to keep the stakes high.  This show has great pacing because it manages to balance and push the stakes.  I love that.

The next few episodes sound awesome.

I do think eventually some of the stakes will have to be put mitigated or eliminated but hopefully new ones will crop up.

This is my favorite new suspense drama.

I don't feel the same way, but this is valid.

It's just that it's going to be tiring if she's always in lose-lose situations.

23 hours ago, Trini said:

I don't feel the same way, but this is valid.

It's just that it's going to be tiring if she's always in lose-lose situations.

Well I don't mean they have to be lose-lose situations - but I do like the constant threat of something going wrong - it elevates the stakes for the show and keeps it super unpredictable.  The writers have any number of catastrophes they can pull out at any time to pick up the pace - or pull their punches and slow the pace down.

I do think they'll have to have some scenarios where Thony gets a few wins here and there - but she's literally a cleaning lady for the cartel, an illegal immigrant and a mother with a dying child - the stakes have been built in since the pilot?

1 hour ago, phoenics said:

I do think they'll have to have some scenarios where Thony gets a few wins here and there - but she's literally a cleaning lady for the cartel, an illegal immigrant and a mother with a dying child - the stakes have been built in since the pilot?

Well, now there's an FBI guy hounding her and her family.

18 hours ago, Trini said:

Well, now there's an FBI guy hounding her and her family.

She probably embedded a GPS tracker inside the walkie-talkie. Then she can give Arman a location for an ambush... 

22 hours ago, paigow said:

[Interior: La Habana]

Thony: Luca needs a liver transplant

Arman: Julio! Go down to the orphanage and bring back a bunch of 5 year olds.

They pretty much gave it away in the promos. Lou Diamond Phillips is going to say no then be offered to take the silver or the lead as in this case Thony is subcontracting her break to the bad.

Episode 6 synopsis:

THONY HAS A DIFFICULT CHOICE TO MAKE ON AN ALL-NEW "THE CLEANING LADY" MONDAY, FEBRUARY 14, ON FOX

Broadway Legend Betty Buckley Makes a Guest Appearance

Since their brush with ICE, Fiona and Thony's relationship is strained, as a result of Thony's lies. Meanwhile, Arman uses Thony's relationship with Garrett to feed information to the FBI. Then, as Luca's health declines, Thony must decide if she can work with Mother Donna, who may be a potential resource for a liver transplant for Luca, but at what cost to Thony in the all-new "Mother's Mission" episode of THE CLEANING LADY airing Monday, Feb. 14 (9:01-10:00 PM ET/PT) on FOX. (CLD-106) (TV-14 D, L, S)

Guest Cast: Betty Buckley as Mother Donna, Navid Negahban as Hayak Barsamian, Harold Fisch as Carlos, Antonio Leon as Dr. Daniel Saroyan, Ivan Shaw as Marco, Esodie Geiger as Renee Lawson, Shiva Negar as Isabel Barsamian, Conphidance as Dr. Nnamdi, Walter Anaruk as Politician, Mo Beatty as Nurse Julia, Elsianna Martinez-DeLeon as Lizzie, Ramiro M. Montanez as Jose, Rocko Reyes as Bosco

"Thony has a difficult choice to make" is basically the show, lol!

• LOL 1
9 hours ago, ouinason said:

Hey, a well placed bullet and a forged organ donation card can solve a lot of problems, lol.

It’s a liver, right? Because that could be a living donor situation. They’d just have to pressure a match to donate a piece of their liver. No death required. 

On 1/30/2022 at 8:38 AM, vibeology said:

It’s a liver, right? Because that could be a living donor situation. They’d just have to pressure a match to donate a piece of their liver. No death required. 

It's not "required", no, but if someone is uncooperative with the mob...

Episode 7 synopsis:

THONY MUST COME CLEAN TO MARCO REGARDING HER PLANS TO SAVE LUCA ON AN ALL-NEW "THE CLEANING LADY" MONDAY, FEBRUARY 21, ON FOX

Thony's marital issues are amplified as Marco begins asking tough questions about her methods of getting Luca life-saving treatments. Meanwhile, Arman is determined to make his way out from under Hayak, but Garrett is hell-bent on foiling his plans in the all-new "Our Father, Who Art in Vegas" episode of THE CLEANING LADY airing Monday, Feb. 21 (9:01-10:00 PM ET/PT) on FOX. (CLD-107) (TV-D,L,S,V)

Cast: Élodie Yung as Thony; Adan Canto as Arman Morales; Martha Millan as Fiona; Oliver Hudson as Garrett; Sebastien and Valentino LaSalle as Luca; Faith Bryant as Jaz; Sean Lew as Chris

Guest Cast: Liza Weil as ASAC Katherine Russo; Ivan Shaw as Marco; Harold Fisch as Carlos; Eva De Dominici as Nadia; Dean Allen Williams as Sammy Miller; Josette Canilao as Dara Oum; Eric Ladin as Noah McPherson; Darryl DeLoach as Man; Amber Lynn Ashley as Hostess; Leandro Valdez as Hector; Suzanne Waters as Chanteuse

Is 'Marco' Thony's husband? You know, they've never properly introduced him. Well, at least he's getting to be part of the story, now. We'll see how long that lasts.

3 minutes ago, Trini said:

Is 'Marco' Thony's husband? You know, they've never properly introduced him.

Tough questions from Marco...

Thony: This Wi-Fi is horrible... have to try later... bye...

Episode 8 synopsis:

THONY AND ARMAN TAKE LUCA TO MEXICO TO TRY AND SAVE HIS LIFE ON AN ALL-NEW "THE CLEANING LADY" MONDAY, FEBRUARY 28, ON FOX

Thony enlists Arman's help to get to Mexico for Luca's transplant, but plans go dangerously off course when Hayak finds out Arman is lying to him. Thony finds herself in a desperate situation, forcing her to call upon both the former doctor and the newfound "gangsta" in herself in the all-new "Full On Gangsta" episode of THE CLEANING LADY airing Monday, Feb. 28 (9:01-10:00 PM ET/PT) on FOX. (CLD-108) (TV-14 D, L, S,V)

Guest Cast: Josette Canilao as Dara Oum, Ivan Shaw as Marco, Liza Weil as ASAC Katherine Russo, Eva De Dominici as Nadia, Harold Fisch as Carlos, Navid Negahban as Hayak Barsamian, Jonathan Medina as Julio, RJ Wagner as Dealer, Ivan Hernandez as Bellhop, Eric T. Esparza as Waiter, Rafael Velasquez as Surgeon

Sounds intense.

Also - apparently this first season is only 10 episodes?! A short season for a mid-season show is not that unusual, but I thought it would be longer.

• Love 1

Episode 9 synopsis:

THONY MUST GET BACK TO THE U.S. WITHOUT HELP FROM ARMAN ON AN ALL-NEW "THE CLEANING LADY" MONDAY, MARCH 7, ON FOX

Arman's fallout with Hayak has severe consequences for Thony, who must now find her way back home from Mexico with Luca. In hiding, Arman tries to help Thony get back, but it is Garrett who steps in to get Thony across the border where, upon re-entry, things aren't what they seem in the all-new "Coming Home Again" episode of THE CLEANING LADY airing Monday, March 7 (9:01-10:00 PM ET/PT) on FOX. (CLD-109) (TV-14 D, L, V)

Guest Cast: Josette Canilao as Dara Oum, Eva De Dominici as Nadia, Ivan Shaw as Marco, Liza Weil as ASAC Katherine Russo, Navid Negahban as Hayak Barsamian, Jonathan Medina as Julio, Dan Davidson as Wyatt Jennings, Harold Fisch as Carlos, Phil Mendoza as Martin, Randy Barco as Guillermo Sanchez, Michael Lovato as Young CBP Officer, Elizabeth Hales as Female CBP Officer, Deborah Martinez as Receptionist, Jesse Ramirez as Waiter, Ericka Zepeda as Female CBP Agent, Derek Webster as DHS Agent Dave DePaul, Lawrence Gilligan as CBP Agent Vega, Marco Fuller as CBP Agent, Jessica Delgado as Lexi Torres/Aerial Dancer

Things are getting crazier -- can't wait!

• Love 1

Season finale synopsis:

THONY TRIES TO MAKE A DEAL WITH THE FBI ON THE ALL-NEW SEASON FINALE OF "THE CLEANING LADY" MONDAY, MARCH 14, ON FOX

Needing a way out, Thony tries to make a deal with Garrett to save herself and help Arman, but Arman doesn't trust any promises made by the FBI. A sting operation is hatched, but Arman's distrust leads it off course. Loyalties are put to the test as families both unite and fall apart in the all-new "The Crown" season finale episode of THE CLEANING LADY airing Monday, March 14 (9:01-10:00 PM ET/PT) on FOX. (CLD-110) (TV-14 L, V)

Guest Cast: Eric Ladin as Noah McPherson, Liza Weil as ASAC Katherine Russo, Ivan Shaw as Marco, Eva De Dominici as Nadia, Navid Negahban as Hayak Barsamian, Shiva Negar as Isabel Barsamian, Esodie Geiger as Renee Lawson, Lily Lei as Techie, Vincent McDaniel as Prison Guard, Clint Obenchain as Vinny, Brad Thornton as Travis, Amber Lynn Ashley as Hostess, Gabriela C. Ortega as Roxy, Janelle Baptiste as Samentha

😬

This totally seems like a show that would end on a cliffhanger.

I think it's more than likely that Hayak gets taken out by the finale; the real question is who takes over? (And how, because I assume the FBI will shut down at least some of his illegal operations.) At this point (ep. 7), I think there are three candidates: Arman, Nadia, or Hayak's daughter. There are interesting story possibilities with any of them. It's not going to be great for Thony, but I assume the writers are going to want to keep her tied to the mob somehow, so how they accomplish that should be interesting, since she only has a deal with Arman.

• Useful 1

At the end of  La Chica Que Limpia Rosa is serving time for aiding her mob and her lawyer comes in with a government deal to clean for them and they will take years off of her sentence. So instead of her mob taxi driver we have cops in a patrol car as Rosa is about to head to a job. They left it open if the cops were corrupt or if she was serving Argentine undercover operations now.

• Useful 3
28 minutes ago, Raja said:

At the end of  La Chica Que Limpia Rosa is serving time for aiding her mob and her lawyer comes in with a government deal to clean for them and they will take years off of her sentence. So instead of her mob taxi driver we have cops in a patrol car as Rosa is about to head to a job. They left it open if the cops were corrupt or if she was serving Argentine undercover operations now.

Interesting! I'm not sure that exact scenario will work for this version of the show, but I can see them giving her a new boss.

• Love 1

The liver donor is also trapped in Mexico... There is no record of her leaving the USA, so coming back in will raise a lot of questions. The fee was supposed to pay off her debts, but now she has to spend it on getting back illegally...

• Love 2
9 hours ago, magdalene said:

As of now they don't have a second season. I find this troubling - considering this is a Fox show.

In the tvguide or tvline article after the finale the showrunner says Fox said they wouldn't renew until after the finale anyway... but that they were really happy with the numbers and the streaming numbers on Hulu too.  I'm hopeful.

• Love 1

Maybe they can renew it but conditional on mashup with a Designated Survivor reboot. Arman takes over his old job and Thony is the first White House Intern / Cleaning Lady...

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

There's the chance that some of this could change by the time the episodes air, but here are some quotes about plans for Season 2:

https://deadline.com/2022/04/the-cleaning-lady-welcome-to-flatch-miranda-kwok-interview-contenders-tv-1234998073/

“We’re definitely going to see a lot more grays with Thony and challenge her some more,” Kwok said. “A lot of circumstances are going to keep dragging her across the moral line. It’s just a matter of how far we go with her.”

https://tvline.com/2022/03/14/the-cleaning-lady-renewed-cancelled-season-1-finale-explained/

A lot of the season has been about Luca in jeopardy and about Thony saving her child. A big question for Season 2 is, what is she going to do once her child is saved? That was one of the elements of why we chose that ending in particular. ...

To start off the season, we’re definitely going to have her drive being to get Luca back. ...

We did say in the finale that Thony intends to start her cleaning business to clean Arman’s money, and to have a medical clinic in the back where they can help the undocumented, the uninsured — people who are in the same vulnerable position that she was in. We’re definitely going to embark on that business where all of these unlikely people have to become partners, and [we’ll explore] all of the fissures and problems and conflicts that will come out of trying to work together, and not always seeing eye-to-eye on how a business should be run. That is a major part of Season 2.

https://www.tvguide.com/news/the-cleaning-lady-bosses-and-elodie-yung-reveal-what-that-finale-cliffhanger-means-for-a-potential-season-2/

[Re: Marco taking Luca back to the Philliphines] We're gonna really dive into that [next] season, because she initially took Luca in order to get him healthcare, but she did it without waiting for [Marco] to get his visa. We're gonna try to really lean into the fact that it's not black and white, that he's not flat out kidnapping Luca, which in a sense he is, but really show what an international custody battle looks like. What's great is that we have the character of Garrett (Oliver Hudson) who's gonna go through a custody battle of his own with his kids as his divorce progresses in the second season, so she's gonna start to get pushback from someone in her life that she needs to reach out [to] for help, and just exploring it from Thony's point of view as the mother but also not vilifying the father.

[Re: Thony/Arman] ... Their relationship will continue to evolve and change and progress as they get closer, but there's also things that will draw them apart and set them against each other. So we don't want it to be ever necessarily a full-blown romance, 'cause then that's not what the show is. That show is about that tension. ...

... There will be physical connection throughout the [next] season—how far it goes? We're not sure yet. ...

I think what the audience is looking forward to seeing is, how is Arman gonna deal with Hayak in order to take the crown? Arman is going to run the Vegas syndicate. What is that gonna look like? But meanwhile, Thony is going to be working with Fiona setting up her cleaning lady business, but she promised an underground clinic for undocumented workers in the back of the cleaning facility. As she starts to try to do good for her community, she is going to start making questionable moral decisions, and she's going to start making enemies. We kind of felt like, even though she's always trying to do good to counterbalance the bad, we want to start shading her a little darker every season where she starts making more and more morally complex decisions.

And the money laundering—that's something that evolved in Season 1 when we realized that Arman could have this last big score, but he doesn't quite get it, and the challenges of what's gonna happen with that. Will Hayak find out that he was betrayed? Obviously, we need to get Luca back somehow. And then Fiona as well, she's gone through her own arc of facing her biggest fear of deportation and what trajectory she's going to go on. Is she going to try to go on the straight and narrow so that it doesn't happen again, or does that empower her to take bigger risks? We definitely have some places to go with her as well.

And Garrett has a big fish in jail, but is he gonna be able to keep him there? How is [his] relationship [with Thony] going to deepen? Also, she's done something like taking her son away from the father, [and] he has a completely different perspective about that. Will feelings develop on his part towards her eventually? Is all that conflict hiding some real chemistry there? And I also think Nadia could be a really delicious villain. She has every reason to be pissed off at this cleaning lady and maybe she could be a real force for Thony to reckon with [next] season.

----

Their plans for Thony reminds me of stuff that happened on Good Girls.

• Useful 2