Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E05: Episode 5

• Start Topic

Very good episode imo. Probably my second favorite after the Italy episode.

The whole garden party scene was perfection with the music and everything. 

Recognized the governor's wife (Lady Clemency or whatever her name was)! Victoria Smurfit who played a great rendition of Cruella de Vil in Once Upon a Time!

• Love 3

Great episode!  Lots of tense scenes for all of our trio.  Abigail's character is learning some hard lessons, and growing from it.

In the end, how did they get enough money to travel on?  I thought the British authorities seized the money Passepartout received for stealing the White Dragon.  

• Love 3

I'm glad they showed Fogg in the bank with the money order as to how he's getting money for the trip. They're half way through at 41 and only in Hong Kong. America is going to take a long time. They better get some fast horses!

It was quite a treat that Fogg has a fangirl and Fix's article is being syndicated. 

The map with the yarn and pin in the club is a great touch. 

I have to laugh - of course  Passpartout can crack a safe! That bedroom scene was super tense. 

Kind of a jerk move to take a piece of jewelry from a grave though. I mean, put it in a museum if anything. 

1 hour ago, bluestocking said:

I thought the British authorities seized the money Passepartout received for stealing the White Dragon.

I was guessing that Fogg's 'note' or whatever from his bank in England came in or the governor told the bank to put it through. 

• Love 3
13 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

Kind of a jerk move to take a piece of jewelry from a grave though. I mean, put it in a museum if anything. 

But a very common story. There are a lot of "family heirlooms" in British families of this type.

• Applause 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5
15 hours ago, bluestocking said:

Great episode!  Lots of tense scenes for all of our trio. 

I thought it was a better episode than last weeks, but still hardly any actual traveling. I assume the US leg will have more traveling, but they already used up the Bridge plot and the burning the train cars plot which occurred in the US section of the book.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, nx74defiant said:

But a very common story. There are a lot of "family heirlooms" in British families of this type.

I'm not knocking the plot; I totally believe it. The governor was all waxing about giving his wife a token of his respect. I expected Passpartout to say, 'you robbed a grave, and then I robbed you.' 

There's an undertone of classism in the show, and this plot fit right in. In the end, all the Hong Kong mob boss wanted to do was return it to the grave. 

2 hours ago, Tom Holmberg said:

I thought it was a better episode than last weeks, but still hardly any actual traveling. I assume the US leg will have more traveling, but they already used up the Bridge plot and the burning the train cars plot which occurred in the US section of the book.

I'm interested to see what route they'll take across the US. I guess it depends on where they will embark the ship across the Atlantic to London, but I figure it's got to be New York City. They *still* need to get to Yokohama, and then San Francisco seems the next logical destination. There's not enough show left. 

• Love 5

Ending really was something. As Passepartout is caught between a rock and a hard place. Money for his freedom or friendship there.

Really glad that Fogg was not at all smacked on the back for too long but really poor guy. Can't catch a break.

Fix really came in time to save Fogg's life and that she made up to him and redeemed herself over article that she wrote about him.

• Love 1

I'm really enjoying this show.  In a way its beginning to remind me of an old 60s show called "Route 66" where a couple of friends hit the road in a very cool car and wind up in different towns and get involved in somebody's personal drama and it all works out in the end.  

When our heroes finally return to England, I'm really hoping the bad guy (Lord Snake In The Grass) gets his ass kicked.  Bankruptcy won't be enough. 

• Love 3
On 1/31/2022 at 11:58 AM, DoctorAtomic said:

There's an undertone of classism in the show

For me, it's more than an undertone and one of the major themes of the series. And the overall arc is Fogg's evolution from an utterly cossetted and oblivious upper-crust snob to somebody with (eventually) a greater awareness of other people's lives and misfortunes. I'm also glad to see the sometimes subtle, sometimes blatant distinctions in what each of the trio has access to.

Also just enjoying the adventures and drama! 

• Applause 1
  • Love 7

I call BS on Passpartout stealing that necklace from the woman's neck while she was sleeping. There's a lot of suspension of belief on this show, but this was too much. But I'm glad that she convinced her husband to let it go. In real life, I doubt that he would see his theft anywhere on the same level as Passpartout's.

On 2/2/2022 at 1:16 PM, JPPT1974 said:

Fix really came in time to save Fogg's life and that she made up to him and redeemed herself over article that she wrote about him.

See I don't feel like Fix redeemed herself to Fogg over the article at all. I don't think she realizes how her article will affect Fogg's standing when he gets home; how he won't feel he can show his face at the club. After Passpartout spells it out for Fix, she gets that Fogg will be mad, but I still don't feel Fix really understands the betrayal she did to Fogg. It doesn't matter that what she wrote is the truth; he didn't want the world to know his secrets. Fix found out this truth when Fogg was sick; Fogg would never have told her these things if he was well.  She took what she learned and used it to further her ambition; she betrayed Fogg's trust and just making sure Fogg wasn't flogged for something he didn't do doesn't make up for that betrayal IMO.  

• Love 4