Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E09: The Voices in the Frost

• Start Topic

Nick, George and Bess unravel the truth behind a college student’s mysterious death, while unexpected obstacles prevent Ace from working with Nancy and Agent Park as they grow closer and investigate the hidden origin of the Frozen Hearts Killer.

Original air date: December 10, 2021

Anyone else having issues with the dialogue on this show? They speak so quickly and the volume seems low that I keep rewinding and still don't know what they're saying half the time. 

And can someone explain the Temperance/Daughter/Copperhead storyline to me like I'm two years old, because I'm confused by the whole thing and have no idea what is happening anymore. 

• Love 8

I’ve long since stopped trying to figure out the progression of this storyline. And there’s an awful lot of scenes of them sitting around jumping to conclusions, which is kind of tedious. 

But hey, the phantom knocker is explained at least. It’s Hannah!

• Love 3

I love that once Ace gets hit with the jealousy bug, that boy starts peacocking around Nancy. And then, instead of just talking to Nancy, he composes a text, runs it by Bess, she hits send, and he just high tails it out of there when Nancy approaches him. 

At first I thought there were a lot of stories, but tonight I can see that its all coming into one huge umbrella of a story revolving around Charity/Temp.

• Love 4

It is a little confusing, but from what I gathered, it sounds like Charity/Temperance's daughter rebelled against her and married this Beckett guy, plus joined the White Cloaked Women or whoever they are.  And after she was fatally wounded at Gettysburg, they split her soul up because I guess they didn't want Temperance to get a hold of it?  And it sounds like her husband is the Copperhead, who I guess was cursed or something.  It admittedly does feel kind of rushed and messy.  Again, I wonder if this was always the plan, because it does carry the sense of some scrambling due to them needing to recast Temperance.  But it sounds like the other parts of the soul are in two other ancestors of soldiers that fought in that particular unit.  What's the over/under that at least one of them will be in one of the Drew Crew or one of Nancy's Dads?

Ah, in typical CW fashion, the love triangle is ramping it up with Park and Nancy getting closer, and that leading to Ace finally wising up and realizing he might miss his chance if he doesn't do something (and even then, it takes Bess having to push him in order for him to step up.)  But, of course, once he finally is ready to admit his feelings to her, he accidentally gets sucked into another dimension.  Don't you just hate when that happens?!  But at least a newly returned Hannah is apparently stuck with him.

While Bess wasn't 100% wrong to be suspicious about Nick's friend possibly committing murder, she definitely went overboard with it.  Being cautious and skeptical is one thing: going full-blown "You're a liar!  Tell me the truth, you killer!" is another!  At least it led to her figuring out that Temperance really can't be trusted.  And she even found some evidence!  But it looks like Temperance has some kind of protection spell that won't allow her to bring out of the lair.  It's never easy, is it!

George and Nick almost elope, but then realize that they might actually be going a bit too fast here.  Still, I literally shouted "No, Nick!" when he said that they now had "all the time in the world."  Don't tempt fate like that, Nick!

Nancy's dads were around on camera, but I did notice that Scott Wolf directed this episode which was pretty cool.

A few weeks off for winter break now!

• Useful 2
  • Love 6

1. Awww, no My Two Dads this episode.

2. Awww, judge spends the entire frozen day in the courthouse mostly alone and is just about to finally take off just a few minutes early only to stick around for two crazy kids who end up....not getting married. I hope you had some nice hot chocolate or hot mulled wine waiting for you at home, judge.

3. And so the Nick/George wedding gets put off for a bit longer so that George can have an aisle and something that isn't ripped jeans and she can grow and grow. I approve.

4. Count me in as another person kinda drifting off with the whole Charity/Temperance thing. I don't know if it's genuinely harder to follow than the comparative plots in seasons 1 and 2, or if I'm just less invested with Charity/Temperance as characters, but....it does seem harder to follow and care about. 

5. That said, one thing that I did pick up is that apparently discovering that the other two soul fragments could be in the descendants of Gettysburg soldiers could be some kind of lead, and....uh, Nancy, Park, and the writers, you are aware that over 150,000 people were milling around Gettysburg during the battle, right? And many of these were from fine Victorian families with lots and lots of children, AND this was back in 1863. And sure, some of them presumably died without kids, but what I'm saying is, THERE ARE AT LEAST A COUPLE OF MILLION OF THESE PEOPLE NOW. Even restricting this to "people who eventually showed up in Maine" is still a lot of people. So I don't feel that this is a great lead.

6. I also really liked that the rest of the Drew Crew just went ahead and investigated a potential murder without waiting for Nancy, even if Bess went just a touch - just a touch - overboard. Ok, maybe a bit more than a touch. 

7. Hannah, given that knocking on the front door hasn't really gotten you anywhere, maybe you should try knocking on something else? Or knocking in a pattern?

• Useful 1
  • Love 9
18 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

What's the over/under that at least one of them will be in one of the Drew Crew or one of Nancy's Dads?

100% absolutely. And I'm guessing one will be in Ace or Ace's dad, and the last name will finally be revealed to be Hardy right around the time the copyright expires. (Hard to trace the descendant without the surname.)

And the other may be related to Carson Drew, since we've already gone down the Hudson bloodline with Temperance/Charity. But that could be a new/unrelated character too. Or maybe the Marvins, to get Bess involved. But since Nick is from Florida and it's possible George's family wasn't in Maine during the Civil War, they may be safe.

• Useful 2
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, Moxie Cat said:

100% absolutely. And I'm guessing one will be in Ace or Ace's dad, and the last name will finally be revealed to be Hardy right around the time the copyright expires. (Hard to trace the descendant without the surname.)

And the other may be related to Carson Drew, since we've already gone down the Hudson bloodline with Temperance/Charity. But that could be a new/unrelated character too. Or maybe the Marvins, to get Bess involved. But since Nick is from Florida and it's possible George's family wasn't in Maine during the Civil War, they may be safe.

I was thinking that one of the two fragments would be in a recurring character and the other in a main one. Ace seems like the obvious choice, especially going back to episode 4 and Nancy's dream that ended with his heart freezing out.

I feel like Ace's last name will be a running gag until the series finale, or when the show actually gets the rights of the Hardy Boys and can use it. I think thats what is holding them up. But the fans think Ace's full name is Joseph Ace Hardy or something like that.

I have a feeling that

Spoiler

Ace and Hannah will be returning around the end of the next episode since one of the directors did post a pic from episode 11 of the main 5 around a campfire with Ace/Nancy on one side with basically no personal space and Bess/Nick/George on the other log.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3

In classic love triangle fashion, Ace finally decides to make his big move with Nancy just as she and Agent Park are starting to get flirty. And then he gets sucked into a parallel dimension! I loved when Ace kind of messed with his hair when he decided op confess his feelings for Nancy, as if his hair has ever looked anything less then fabulous. At least we have solved the mystery of the phantom knocker and found out where Hannah has been. 

I missed Nancy's Two Dads. but its really cool that Scott Wolf got to direct this one. 

Count me as someone else who gets a bit confused by the Temperance/Constance stuff, possibly because its on the convoluted side and possibly because I am not all that invested in Temperance yet. She has a lot of potential as a villain but I don't care that much about her complicated motives quite yet. I definitely think that one of the Drew Crew or one of Nancy's dads will end up having a sliver of soul in them, the most likely candidates being Ace where we find out what his last name is, or Ryan, with the Hudson connection. Plus they both have a lot of unfinished feels regarding Nancy which would just add to the drama if either of them got marked for death. 

That poor judge, stayed after work just to watch an un-engagement. I am glad that George and Nick are putting the breaks on things though, they are still pretty young and their relationship is still quite new, there is no real rush now to get married. It would be too bad to get married with any of their families or the Drew Crew. Of course Nick saying how they have "all the time in the world" does make me nervous...

Bess wasn't wrong to questions Eve's story, especially as it turns out she really wasn't possessed after all, but she did go overboard, as she tends to do. She is very much still hurt from Temperance's betrayal, but at least she's moving forward now. And i like that the gang felt comfortable investigating the murder without Nancy, they're all quite experienced in investigations, of the ordinary or supernatural variety. 

• Love 7
On 12/10/2021 at 9:10 PM, jewel21 said:

Anyone else having issues with the dialogue on this show? They speak so quickly and the volume seems low that I keep rewinding and still don't know what they're saying half the time. 

And can someone explain the Temperance/Daughter/Copperhead storyline to me like I'm two years old, because I'm confused by the whole thing and have no idea what is happening anymore. 

Yes, to all of this. I tend to miss a lot of Bess' dialogue especially, and I'm not sure why. I also am not really interested in this whole Copperhead storyline (I swear I don't even recall where that name even came from). 

Despite all of that, I still love the show. 

I like Agent Park and his acceptance of this crazy town, but his getting close to Nancy right after the previous cop seems a little rushed. But also, go Nancy! Lol.

I cringed at Nick's "we have all the time" line. Don't you dare, writers. I can't lose any of these characters.

George and Nick were smart to slow down a little though. They still have things to work out, and need more communication. But they are such a great pairing.

• Love 2
On 12/11/2021 at 5:21 PM, thuganomics85 said:

At least it led to her figuring out that Temperance really can't be trusted.  And she even found some evidence!  But it looks like Temperance has some kind of protection spell that won't allow her to bring out of the lair.  It's never easy, is it!

I didn't understand why Bess felt so strongly that she needed evidence of what she found. Yes, Nancy had stopped being super suspicious, but she'd still believe Bess over Temperance. Plus, I'm sure Ace could have done something with the blurry picture (once he was back).

On 12/23/2021 at 12:26 AM, CrazyDog said:

I also am not really interested in this whole Copperhead storyline (I swear I don't even recall where that name even came from). 

I don't either. At this point, I need the entire Temperance/Charity/Beckett/Cora mess spelled out for me in tiny words. 

Edited by akg
  • Love 2