Type keyword(s) to search

Joe Pickett - General Discussion

AnimeMania
  • Start Topic

from the summary provided, i'm just wondering, I don't remember shannon expressing a lot of grief about her murdered husband.  no judgement, just wondering if i missed a scene where that was discussed?  The actress who played Marybeth did a a great job, she should be proud of herself.  Overall a very moving, satisfying episode.

• Like 1

I think they are going to have to pack a lot into the final episode, and I don't see how Shenandoah is going to escape prison time. Those men absolutely deserved what they got, and Shenandoah likely saved a lot of future victims, but as Joe pointed out, the law won't see it that way.  Also, I know Marybeth and Joe were scrambling, but it takes like 3 seconds to forward a voicemail. I'll cut her some slack for not doing it while a shotgun is pointed at her, but like, as soon as they stopped listening to the original message, that should have been top priority. That seemed very out of character for Marybeth to not do.

While I agree with Joe that the hammer will be brought down on Shenandoah, even if they can prove what she says, I still thought he was really harsh on a traumatized woman.

I liked Missy for about 5 seconds in this episode- I can't talk to Kyle, because he cries like a baby and it's annoying. I suppose he is supposed to be comic relief, but his incompetency at everything is frustrating to watch.

26 minutes ago, jabRI said:

from the summary provided, i'm just wondering, I don't remember shannon expressing a lot of grief about her murdered husband.  no judgement, just wondering if i missed a scene where that was discussed?  .

I think only when she said he was trying to stop her from killing Pope.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, jabRI said:

from the summary provided, i'm just wondering, I don't remember shannon expressing a lot of grief about her murdered husband.  no judgement, just wondering if i missed a scene where that was discussed?  The actress who played Marybeth did a a great job, she should be proud of herself.  Overall a very moving, satisfying episode.

Yes.  There was a scene in the cabin where Shannon expresses her grief and said her spouse was innocent and only out there to stop her. She said the sheriff killed him unprovoked 

• Like 1

Now that I think about it, I am confused about two things- why and how did Shannon try and frame Randy Pope for the murders? And why did Randy Pope hide the severed head?

First, Shannon makes an anti-hunting poster profile that she manages to register and post (regularly) from Randy's IP address,  thus making everyone suspicious and arresting him. Or was he actually the one making those posts? I mean, neither one really makes sense. If she is going down the line killing people, and presumably Randy is on her list, why bother to frame him? If she wanted to kill 6 and pin the murders on the 7th, Randy seems an odd choice for the fall guy. The sheriff would have been a better choice. I suppose her ability to post from Randy's IP address can be explained by it just being a TV show. (Also, I know it's just a show, but I think the odds of being arrested based on the evidence they had against Randy is pretty shaky). 

But then- why was Randy hiding the head? He likely had alibis for the murders, doesn't know he's being framed yet or even targeted- why go to the trouble to hide it? Going back and reading the recap of episode 5, although I still think he would never in real life be arrested and detained in jail over the internet postings, he probably didn't help his cause when he told an obvious lie about how he was informed about the head in the woods.

The whole thing seems rather disorganized, like the writers weren't sure who they were going to have as the real killer until the second half of the show was written and all the red herrings they were throwing out don't really make sense when you consider who the killer turns out to be. I know this is based on a book so maybe I'll read it and see if something got lost in translation.

• Like 1
On 7/24/2023 at 12:42 PM, Tatum said:

I think they are going to have to pack a lot into the final episode, and I don't see how Shenandoah is going to escape prison time. Those men absolutely deserved what they got, and Shenandoah likely saved a lot of future victims, but as Joe pointed out, the law won't see it that way.  Also, I know Marybeth and Joe were scrambling, but it takes like 3 seconds to forward a voicemail. I'll cut her some slack for not doing it while a shotgun is pointed at her, but like, as soon as they stopped listening to the original message, that should have been top priority. That seemed very out of character for Marybeth to not do.

While I agree with Joe that the hammer will be brought down on Shenandoah, even if they can prove what she says, I still thought he was really harsh on a traumatized woman.

I liked Missy for about 5 seconds in this episode- I can't talk to Kyle, because he cries like a baby and it's annoying. I suppose he is supposed to be comic relief, but his incompetency at everything is frustrating to watch.

I think only when she said he was trying to stop her from killing Pope.

Thank you for pointing out the part of not having copies of the voicemail and the photo! What were they thinking? 

• Like 1

I would like to comment that I think Joe's response to Shannon was totally understandable.  His background came into play, and he knew the first thing he had to do was disarm her.  He had every right to be suspicious, even knowing the reason, since he saw her slaughter a man right before him.  I don't think he was too harsh with her.  He was protecting his wife.

• Like 2

S01.E10: The Third Way
(Season Finale)

JoePickett_210_NO_LOGO_2272320_1920x1080
Joe makes an uneasy truce in his pursuit for justice. Shannon encounters an unexpected band of militia men hell-bent on silencing her. Marybeth and Cricket arrange a long overdue reunion and McLanahan receives an unexpected promotion.

Premiere Date: July 30, 2023       Paramount+

McClanahan promoted himself.  Not sure if the sheriff is an elected or appointed position in this fictional universe - either case he’s no more than the interim or acting sheriff.  

Is it just me that gets annoyed by the Joe and Mary Beth sing a longs?   

Glad to see Missy grow up a little this season.   

Hopefully we get a third season.

• Like 3
On 7/30/2023 at 1:36 PM, mythoughtis said:

McClanahan promoted himself.  Not sure if the sheriff is an elected or appointed position in this fictional universe - either case he’s no more than the interim or acting sheriff.  

Is it just me that gets annoyed by the Joe and Mary Beth sing a longs?   

Glad to see Missy grow up a little this season.   

Hopefully we get a third season.

Not just you, I was cringing so hard at the singing. 

I thought the episode was pretty pat, considering the heavy material. And sadly, a missing woman returning after several months largely unscathed is super rare, so not sure Marissa’s return was really cause for the families of all the other missing women to get their hopes up. 

I did appreciate the acknowledgment that Shenandoah will never be able to return to her old life. I was half thinking they were going to have McClanahan announce all charges against her were dropped. I highly doubt even Marybeth would get off the hook so easily in real life- but whatever, Hollywood. 

• Like 2

Does anyone know anything about the supposed Joe Pickett series that the author CJ Box pulled the plug on before this series was developed, because he didn't like what they planned to do with the characters?

Was it an executive decision to change the ethnicity of Nate Romanowski, or was it that this actor simply turned in the best audition for the role? Just curious.

• Like 1

This cancellation hurts.

First, Snowpiercer, then The Tourist, and now Joe Pickett. I think I'm going to stick with movies from now on.

Amended to add the cancellation of Three Pines. 

Edited by katenm
  • Sad 1

I thought this had the potential to be a long-running series. Finding out that it was cancelled after only two seasons is disappointing.

But at least I still have the books… and CJ Box keeps writing more of those.

• Like 1